Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

To the Owners (merged)

This thread currently has 31,855 views. Print
42 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
February 19, 2024, 10:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.59
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,294
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Poojah

Genuine question, what logic do you see in giving Artell the Morecambe game? I have to say, I’m struggling to find any argument whatsoever, personally.

Me neither. Whatever happens at Morecambe, BP will be a powder keg waiting to go if we lose to Forrest Gump.
Private Message
Reply: 250 - 412
February 19, 2024, 10:16am
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah

Genuine question, what logic do you see in giving Artell the Morecambe game? I have to say, I’m struggling to find any argument whatsoever, personally.

With the caveat that I don’t agree with it, the owners have been under severe pressure before to get rid and as it turns out, rightly stuck with the manager. I’m sure this’ll be at the back of their minds. Also, he may well have convinced them of the away form argument and that he is at least worth one more swing at that, before they finally pull the plug. It also gives them time/breathing space to form a contingency plan and sound others out.
Reply: 251 - 412
jamesgtfc
February 19, 2024, 10:16am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -6
Approval: +13,111
Gold Stars: 192
Quoted from Poojah

If they sacked him straight after the final whistle on Saturday, they perhaps feared what fans may do to him on the way out. If that is the case, then why didn't they do it yesterday?

That he's allowed more time on the training ground with these players seems very negligent. He's had a chance to tighten us up, and failed, so the longer he stays, criticism towards the board will increase. They can prevent that by doing the right thing and admitting they got it wrong.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 252 - 412
pizzzza
February 19, 2024, 10:19am

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,723
Gold Stars: 137
My message "To the Owners" borrows the wise words of Lao Tzu:

If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading
Private Message
Reply: 253 - 412
HertsGTFC
February 19, 2024, 10:24am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.24
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +23,148
Gold Stars: 241
Quoted from Poojah

The only one I could find is that it gives them time to be able to organise a backfill, though looking at how they generally behave I'd be surprised if they ended up talking to anyone else whilst Artell was still in place, I know some prospective managers also don't like that approach too.

I've said this on a few threads on here and Twitter, I don't think I've ever seen a Town side so far away from being able to win a game of football than this one.

If we stick with Artell we're going down.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 254 - 412
Poojah
February 19, 2024, 10:31am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.27
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +30,156
Gold Stars: 1,551
Quoted from 140381

With the caveat that I don’t agree with it, the owners have been under severe pressure before to get rid and as it turns out, rightly stuck with the manager. I’m sure this’ll be at the back of their minds. Also, he may well have convinced them of the away form argument and that he is at least worth one more swing at that, before they finally pull the plug. It also gives them time/breathing space to form a contingency plan and sound others out.

The logic they shared for keeping Hurst during that sticky patch during the 21/22 season was pretty sound. We were, by and large, not playing terribly and had been hit by late sucker punches in games at home to Notts County and Chesterfield. If we were losing, it was by a single goal more often than not.

I don’t see those redeeming features currently. We’re conceding goals quite literally at an historically unprecedented rate, we’ve picked up 2 points from 6 matches this year, the players look absolutely lost and we’ve got some huge games on the horizon.

I have zero confidence of a positive result at Morecambe, and by “positive” I’m defining that as anything that involves us conceding fewer than 3 goals at this stage. Just look at the form guide. We are firmly bottom, having conceded 8 more goals than the next leakiest defence over the course of the last 6 games. Morecambe are second, with 13 points. That’s more points in 6 games than we have taken in Artell’s 12 matches in charge.

All I can see is yet another absolute shoeing, possibly the biggest yet. Artell’s notion that we’re ok away from home is a complete fallacy. We’ve simply only played one away game since it all went to shít. All we’re doing up is chalking up yet another confidence shattering defeat, ahead of our biggest game since the play-off final. It’s madness persisting with this. Madness.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 255 - 412
GrimRob
February 19, 2024, 10:40am

Posts Per Day: 2.11
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,474
Gold Stars: 115
Quoted from 140381

It’s not so much the sack I’m referring to, more the abuse side of things - he was getting it direct as I walked out after the fourth goal. I’m sure he’s far more thick skinned than I am.

It's not an easy job at Grimsby. Rob Scott and Jolley both snapped and left, PH was very frustrated by the crowd. Quite a few managers have left here and never got another job! I think DA is the wrong personality for the job in any case.

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 256 - 412
February 19, 2024, 10:40am
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah

The logic they shared for keeping Hurst during that sticky patch during the 21/22 season was pretty sound. We were, by and large, not playing terribly and had been hit by late sucker punches in games at home to Notts County and Chesterfield. If we were losing, it was by a single goal more often than not.

I don’t see those redeeming features currently. We’re conceding goals quite literally at an historically unprecedented rate, we’ve picked up 2 points from 6 matches this year, the players look absolutely lost and we’ve got some huge games on the horizon.

I have zero confidence of a positive result at Morecambe, and by “positive” I’m defining that as anything that involves us conceding fewer than 3 goals at this stage. Just look at the form guide. We are firmly bottom, having conceded 8 more goals than the next leakiest defence over the course of the last 6 games. Morecambe are second, with 13 points. That’s more points in 6 games than we have taken in Artell’s 12 matches in charge.

All I can see is yet another absolute shoeing, possibly the biggest yet. Artell’s notion that we’re ok away from home is a complete fallacy. We’ve simply only played one away game since it all went to shít. All we’re doing up is chalking up yet another confidence shattering defeat, ahead of our biggest game since the play-off final. It’s madness persisting with this. Madness.

A friend of mine goes to all Donny's home and away games. Morecambe won 5 0 at their place. He said the worst thing is that Morecambe only really came for a point but thought they'd take advantage of the gifts presented.
Reply: 257 - 412
chaos33
February 19, 2024, 10:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.57
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,985
Gold Stars: 365
It absolutely is madness.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 258 - 412
February 19, 2024, 10:42am
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah

There’s not a lot I don’t agree with there, if anything. Just trying to see it through their eyes. The season has been a disaster. Get this wrong and the new TV deal money will likely see us down there for a long long time. And missing out on an improved TV deal would be such a Town thing to do. And ironic given the ITV digital fiasco is one of the many reasons we’re down here.
Reply: 259 - 412
42 Pages Prev ... 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › To the Owners (merged)

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.