July 6, 2023, 9:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Mappers
And that's part of the problem .

Their view of things is 'my way or no way ' and a lot of people are like that now . I don't actually mind Vince , just like I don't mind female managers , referees(a couple at BP this season were actually better than a lot of the male one's ) or players .

But when he's launching it down your throat that you are wrong to oppose his views , and goes about disrupting other people's  days ,that's when I think he needs to be called out - for some of the people at these sporting events it's probably a once in a lifetime experience and he's orchestrating substantial distruption to their days .

He seems to find it all amusing to , with a little sarky grin on his face when asked about his various little disruption projects , like he's almost doing it for attention/a kick rather than the actual causes he say's he so strongly believes in .

What right has he got to do that ?
What right have we to mock his views ?

By all means live your life how you want to live it , but don't ram it down the throats of those who oppose or could not care less .

How do you know who's a Vegan in a crowded room?
Because they'll tell you.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 153
BobbyCummingsTackle
July 6, 2023, 11:28am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from Mappers
And that's part of the problem .

Their view of things is 'my way or no way ' and a lot of people are like that now . I don't actually mind Vince , just like I don't mind female managers , referees(a couple at BP this season were actually better than a lot of the male one's ) or players .

But when he's launching it down your throat that you are wrong to oppose his views , and goes about disrupting other people's  days ,that's when I think he needs to be called out - for some of the people at these sporting events it's probably a once in a lifetime experience and he's orchestrating substantial distruption to their days .

He seems to find it all amusing to , with a little sarky grin on his face when asked about his various little disruption projects , like he's almost doing it for attention/a kick rather than the actual causes he say's he so strongly believes in .

What right has he got to do that ?
What right have we to mock his views ?

By all means live your life how you want to live it , but don't ram it down the throats of those who oppose or could not care less .

Don't ram your views down other people's throats writes man ramming his views down other people's throats. Apparently without seeing the irony.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 153
Poojah
July 6, 2023, 12:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,748
Gold Stars: 1,509
I've a somewhat longstanding belief that league clubs should be sacrosanct to large towns and cities where those clubs have been an historic part of the community fabric, particularly in areas with a significant working class heritage. I don't believe the village of Nailsworth, the small town of Fleetwood or the metropolitan borough of Salford need their football clubs in the same way that the likes of Grimsby, or Scunthorpe, or Oldham et al do. You can point to Milton Keynes as having a large population, but it's club's pitiful population / attendance ratio tells you everything you need to know about the dismal failure of that particular experiment.

I don't like the notion of clubs being carried to inflated places in the football pyramid by wealthy benefactors, that they would otherwise have no chance of having reached. Yes, league standings are determined on the basis of footballing merit on the pitch, but that doesn't alter the fact that it flies in the face of football's historic origins. In Forest Green, we have a club currently based in an isolated village of less than 6,000, run not only by a wealthy benefactor but by someone who is using the club as a pawn in his own commercial endeavours - the imposition of a vegan diet on the club's players and visitors to the stadium, the carbon-neutral ground, the organic pitch, and the switching of the club's traditional colours (from black, white and red no less). Sports and politics don't mix.

And yet I can't bring myself to feel the disdain towards Forest Green that I do towards Crawley, or Fleetwood, or Salford. My feelings towards Milton Keynes are much stronger than disdain.

Whatever you make of Dale Vince, he isn't selling fossil fuels. He isn't a gambling magnate. He didn't set up a utilities company designed to scam small businesses. Ultimately, the things that he and Forest Green Rovers stand for are forces for good; and vital ones at that. Tuesday was the hottest day ever recorded on planet earth. Carbon emissions and the compound effects of meat consumption pose an existential threat if not to us, then our children or our grandchildren. The threat is very real.

The green technology we have today is not perfect, and some of it still has its own residual environmental impact. Tofu alone is not going to save the planet. But the ideas Dale Vince is trying to impress upon society are significant steps in the right direction. I say that not as a preacher, but as a hypocrite. I eat meat most days and drive a diesel powered Chelsea tractor - I, like most people, need to change. Attitudes need to change. The fact that we're even debating this on a football messageboard tells you that it's at least effective at starting a conversation.

To that end, is the appointment of Hannah Dingley as interim first-team manager at Forest Green a mere PR stunt? Possibly. Regardless, it's a move brave enough to challenge a taboo about women in football. Whilst there is there ample evidence highlighting the differences between the athletic capabilities of males and females, the world we live in today rightly accepts that no such intellectual gaps exist.

In that case, what are the barriers to women taking top coaching jobs in football? That they did not evolve through the world of elite football as players? Neither did Arsene Wenger, Sven Goran Eriksson, Jose Mourinho, Jurgen Klopp or, erm...Russell Slade. It should not be a terminal issue for women, nor do I think it will be in the future.

For me, regardless of what comes of this appointment, it helps pave the way for other clubs to follow suit in the future by getting much of the media hype out of the way. Some will oppose the idea of women in the dressing room, and they are entitled to that view. However, I think that view will age no better than the idea that racism in football was ok in the 70s and 80s.

Dale Vince and Forest Green do things differently. They have created a unique space for themselves in football and the media, as Wrexham have, however with a far more seismic and meaningful underlying message. Some will inevitably hate them for it. I can't.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 153
mariner chopper
July 6, 2023, 12:34pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +198
Gold Stars: 5
Didn't know whether to post here or ex-gtfc players thread but Lee Ashcroft got a 10 match ban for severely verbally abusing Hannah Dingley back in 2013...

https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/22707465
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 153
Mappers
July 6, 2023, 12:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.44
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,459
Gold Stars: 119

Don't ram your views down other people's throats writes man ramming his views down other people's throats. Apparently without seeing the irony.

There is more I could add , but we are on a football thread after all and it is going towards the other page where 'Tory Vermin ' is ,so will leave it .
Not sure i was ramming my views down throats though , but I respect your opinion .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 153
GrimPol
July 6, 2023, 2:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
For Poojah, not copying his write up to save "ink"

A well-written piece, which misses the point.
Some on this forum hate the fact that a woman has been given the opportunity, some applaud it as the best thing ever. Most I suppose look upon it with interest, and see how it pans out in the new season.
None on this forum know how good she is. Her certificates have been mentioned, and positions she has taken, but that means nothing in the end and what will matter is how she manages the marathon 46+ matches will throw at her.
I wish Ms Dingley the best, whilst hoping that GTFC thrash FGR whenever they meet. However she has two problems to overcome, one is the dressing room, and the other is the fans.
In the dressing room, she will meet some knuckle-draggers who will question her knowledge/expertise not only its what they do to all managers, but more so because she's a woman, and that will be inevitable.
Secondly, all fans look at the first (say 10) matches and the FGR forums will be either happy or baying for (sorry FGR) blood. Will she get a fair shake? I doubt it, but it will be hard to prove. Like I say, we will all be looking at FGR this year with interest, perhaps Mr Vince idea in the first place.
As to Dale Vinces Meatless Stadium, you seem ok by that, I find it 1984.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 153
ROKERITE
July 6, 2023, 3:04pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +13 / -3
Approval: +425
Gold Stars: 5
I don't object to people who sell fossil fuels nor to gambling magnates. I loathe Dale Vince and everything he stands for. He is a dangerous man who if he gets his way will bring misery to millions.

As for the change of manager/head coach I can't see it weakening FGR. I rated their chances of promotion in the coming season as very low under Big Dunc but have no idea how the new appointment will do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 153
gtfc_chris
July 6, 2023, 3:11pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.48
Rep Score: +10 / 0
Approval: +1,511
Gold Stars: 116
Quoted from GrimPol
For Poojah, not copying his write up to save "ink"

A well-written piece, which misses the point.
Some on this forum hate the fact that a woman has been given the opportunity, some applaud it as the best thing ever. Most I suppose look upon it with interest, and see how it pans out in the new season.
None on this forum know how good she is. Her certificates have been mentioned, and positions she has taken, but that means nothing in the end and what will matter is how she manages the marathon 46+ matches will throw at her.
I wish Ms Dingley the best, whilst hoping that GTFC thrash FGR whenever they meet. However she has two problems to overcome, one is the dressing room, and the other is the fans.
In the dressing room, she will meet some knuckle-draggers who will question her knowledge/expertise not only its what they do to all managers, but more so because she's a woman, and that will be inevitable.
Secondly, all fans look at the first (say 10) matches and the FGR forums will be either happy or baying for (sorry FGR) blood. Will she get a fair shake? I doubt it, but it will be hard to prove. Like I say, we will all be looking at FGR this year with interest, perhaps Mr Vince idea in the first place.
As to Dale Vinces Meatless Stadium, you seem ok by that, I find it 1984.

I don't think she'll have to do a great deal to win over the dressing room other than simply know what she's talking about and be good at getting her message across. Competence is the driving force in most workplaces and people align themselves to and trust those who are competent. In an industry where everything is driven by achievement, I don't think she'd have got to where she has without being good at what she does.

That isn't to say football doesn't have coaches who aren't particularly gifted or arrive in big positions on the back of little evidence to support their merit, but given it's likely she will have had to fight harder than the man stood next to her to progress her career purely because that has been the nature of the game for 100+ years I'd say she must be good.

That also isn't any veiled suggestion of sexism in football, more the reality that the game has been segregated in terms of gender for so long that the industry is dominated by men for obvious reasons. I think over the next few decades we will see more females entering the coaching domain but I think it's highly likely that when they do it will be because they have proven themselves competent and worthy of high level positions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 153
lew chaterleys lover
July 6, 2023, 4:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
I know they don't get many fans but why do the fanbase accept vegan only food when a tiny percentage of the population are vegans?

In fact why do they put up with his crazy ideas at all, which if implemented would cause misery? The quicker they get back to non league the better.
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 153
chaos33
July 6, 2023, 4:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,998
Gold Stars: 362
Quoted from ROKERITE
I don't object to people who sell fossil fuels nor to gambling magnates. I loathe Dale Vince and everything he stands for. He is a dangerous man who if he gets his way will bring misery to millions.

As for the change of manager/head coach I can't see it weakening FGR. I rated their chances of promotion in the coming season as very low under Big Dunc but have no idea how the new appointment will do.

I mean, that first paragraph is weird.
Why do you loath him? That’s a very strong word. What is it that he stands for that will ‘bring misery to millions?’

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 153
16 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Duncan Ferguson leaves FGR

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.