14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
aldi_01
June 22, 2023, 10:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
I think Lincoln are a bang average League 1 club, and they’re happy with that. Naturally, the glory hunters that climbed aboard the kick and run Cowley bandwagon probably find it odd, winning and losing an equal amount of games but those Lincoln fans who remember struggling to get 8000 to a playoff final, losing to Whitehawk etc, they’ll be buzzing.

With that in mind, I think that’s why Vernam is back here, he’s a decent league 2 player, but so far has shown little to suggest he’s a league 1, or a consistent league 1 player. May be injuries have hampered that but the were hardly queueing up to take him off our hands when the club made the monumental admin error…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 134
Heisenberg
June 23, 2023, 12:15am
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,054
Gold Stars: 93
Quoted from aldi_01
I think Lincoln are a bang average League 1 club, and they’re happy with that. Naturally, the glory hunters that climbed aboard the kick and run Cowley bandwagon probably find it odd, winning and losing an equal amount of games but those Lincoln fans who remember struggling to get 8000 to a playoff final, losing to Whitehawk etc, they’ll be buzzing.

With that in mind, I think that’s why Vernam is back here, he’s a decent league 2 player, but so far has shown little to suggest he’s a league 1, or a consistent league 1 player. May be injuries have hampered that but the were hardly queueing up to take him off our hands when the club made the monumental admin error…

I normally really like your posts, but you think this guy is sh#t, don’t you?

I have to admit, I think he’s a star at this level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 134
Mappers
June 23, 2023, 6:26am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
You are always going to get banter between clubs and as mentioned a lot goes in circles, until significant change happens, and that is what I think the Cowley's and Clive Nates started. I would like to think we have stopped being a Yo - Yo club now and have consolidated within League 1  Our ground is much improved, and continues to improve and we have a decent training ground at this level. Our crowds are stable, and we have significant investment going into the club, we also operate a model where we can hopefully generate money from players sales.

A caveat to that is that it costs an awful lot of money to compete in L1 - I don't know for sure, but I would imagine our budget for players and staff is almost double what yours is in League 2? We lose money, though investment is covering that. That is why I think the promoted teams will struggle as I am not sure they are wealthy clubs - Wrexham I am sure will be an exception to that if they do well again. I am quite happy to plod in L1 and flirt with the play offs occasionally - I am more hopeful this year than last as I think we have made 3 good signings already, with a couple more to come - We have lost 2 good players but that is always going to happen. I am sure you will have a better season too, though I think Wrexham will win it comfortably, and I have a feeling Gillingham may be a dark horse too.

It's funny the contrast in posters on social media - you have the well thought out sensible posters like Mr Eardley and to the other extreme their other fan who seems to want to bait us , we have that sort aswell (some who even seemingly want to goad their own club).

I actually don't mind Lincoln , and think what they have done can be a good indicator as to what we will need to do when we get to league 1 (more investment will be required)
They are one of the more sustainable clubs at league 1 level and still losing (i think ) 2 or 3 million a season .

Just shows you how mad the game has gone even at that level really .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 134
aldi_01
June 23, 2023, 6:39am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from Heisenberg

I don’t think he’s excrement. I think he’s a decent signing, perhaps not the player some are making him out to be but he could most definitely be a key player for us.

Perhaps it’s his previous time here and the state we were in that gives me nightmares…

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 134
Mappers
June 23, 2023, 6:42am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.43
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,323
Gold Stars: 118
Quoted from aldi_01

I don’t think he’s excrement. I think he’s a decent signing, perhaps not the player some are making him out to be but he could most definitely be a key player for us.

Perhaps it’s his previous time here and the state we were in that gives me nightmares…

Hopefully he is decent , i was not too fussed either way whether he came back but he seemed to do well at league 2 level before with us & Bradford  , but not able to make the step up.

My main question mark is , is he good enough to get us out of league 2 ?

We will find out .
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 134
June 23, 2023, 6:45am
Guest User
Quoted from Heisenberg

This game is all about opinions. We all know that, and the Fishy provides evidence of it daily.  

The most important opinion, obviously, is that of El General. The fee and the 3-year contract tells me that PH rates him.
A player can shine at one club, and yet look average (or worse) at another for reasons that are not immediately clear.
Paul knows the player and clearly believes he fits well into the scheme he has for the club.
That benefits the club, but also the player - knowing he is valued and understanding his role in the team.
So I'm confident (rather than just hopeful) that we'll get the best out of Charles, and he will prove an excellent acquisition.

Don't overlook the fact that when CV scored that goal against Colchester, he was back defending when he received the ball.
El General likes that sort of thing.
Waltzing past half the opposition before putting the ball in the net is something a player might do once a season.
Helping out his defenders is something he can do every match (is how I think PH sees things).

Looking forward massively to see how things pan out this coming season.

UTM

Reply: 95 - 134
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 23, 2023, 7:12am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,837
Gold Stars: 178
Let’s face it, managers work with players every day so they get to make a judgment call based on a lot more than the 90 mins we get to see them. The potential that CV has is known by those that saw him play in the spells that he had here previously and now he’s had the experience with 3 different clubs/managers, am sure that he’s also gained a lot of knowledge about his own game/style.

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 134
Son of Cod
June 23, 2023, 12:47pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
You are always going to get banter between clubs and as mentioned a lot goes in circles, until significant change happens, and that is what I think the Cowley's and Clive Nates started. I would like to think we have stopped being a Yo - Yo club now and have consolidated within League 1  Our ground is much improved, and continues to improve and we have a decent training ground at this level. Our crowds are stable, and we have significant investment going into the club, we also operate a model where we can hopefully generate money from players sales.

A caveat to that is that it costs an awful lot of money to compete in L1 - I don't know for sure, but I would imagine our budget for players and staff is almost double what yours is in League 2? We lose money, though investment is covering that. That is why I think the promoted teams will struggle as I am not sure they are wealthy clubs - Wrexham I am sure will be an exception to that if they do well again. I am quite happy to plod in L1 and flirt with the play offs occasionally - I am more hopeful this year than last as I think we have made 3 good signings already, with a couple more to come - We have lost 2 good players but that is always going to happen. I am sure you will have a better season too, though I think Wrexham will win it comfortably, and I have a feeling Gillingham may be a dark horse too.

Good post, but Gillingham aren't dark horses they're chucking loads of money at it and will start the season as one of the favourites.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 134
NorfolkImp
June 23, 2023, 6:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +11 / -10
Approval: -519
Gold Stars: 11
Quoted from Gilbertswand

Tier 3 or higher.....??

Since their election to the Football League in 1892, Lincoln have spent 36 seasons in the second tier, 34 in the third, 40 in the fourth, and 10 seasons in non-League football.

However the mariners have spent 12 seasons in the first tier, 55 seasons in the second tier, 28 in the third and 19 in the fourth. Only 7 seasons in non league.

Yes a good while in the basement and below for us in the last couple of decades, but ultimately we all know who is the biggest and most and successful club in Lincolnshire.
There is not one single club stat where Lincoln have scaled bigger heights, had bigger crowds or been more successful than the mariners in all of the leagues and cups.

Enjoy your day in the sun.

You sound like a NearManchester United fan living in the past. No coincidence that neither of you actually play football in the place you claim to represent? Both grounds falling to bits with dismal views, cramped seats and leaking roofs.

It’s called Lincolnshire for a reason, and considering you count Hull as your big derby game despite never playing them, that’s when you’re not bullying little Scunny, why didn’t you do everyone a favour and just stay in Humberside?

As I say, keep enjoying our cast offs, I remember the dross you used to send over to us (Bobby Cumming exempt obviously). Diddy Gilbert was a mouthy little thief btw, that’s why Murph got rid.

Private Message
Reply: 98 - 134
It Bites
June 23, 2023, 6:18pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.45
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,186
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from NorfolkImp

You sound like a NearManchester United fan living in the past. No coincidence that neither of you actually play football in the place you claim to represent? Both grounds falling to bits with dismal views, cramped seats and leaking roofs.

It’s called Lincolnshire for a reason, and considering you count Hull as your big derby game despite never playing them, that’s when you’re not bullying little Scunny, why didn’t you do everyone a favour and just stay in Humberside?

As I say, keep enjoying our cast offs, I remember the dross you used to send over to us (Bobby Cumming exempt obviously). Diddy Gilbert was a mouthy little thief btw, that’s why Murph got rid.

Hull , derby  ? When did that happen. Obviously Scunny are our rivals most of us liked Lincoln because we felt sorry for them , just one hard luck story after another and then it changed. Like someone said , just enjoy it
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charles Vernam Returns

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.