14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Gilbertswand
June 21, 2023, 5:16pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.04
Approval: +184
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from NorfolkImp

69 seasons out of 110 in the Football League at Tier 3 or higher suggests otherwise …. what is it, 20 (TWENTY) years in the basement division or lower for you chaps now?

Tier 3 or higher.....??

Since their election to the Football League in 1892, Lincoln have spent 36 seasons in the second tier, 34 in the third, 40 in the fourth, and 10 seasons in non-League football.

However the mariners have spent 12 seasons in the first tier, 55 seasons in the second tier, 28 in the third and 19 in the fourth. Only 7 seasons in non league.

Yes a good while in the basement and below for us in the last couple of decades, but ultimately we all know who is the biggest and most and successful club in Lincolnshire.
There is not one single club stat where Lincoln have scaled bigger heights, had bigger crowds or been more successful than the mariners in all of the leagues and cups.

Enjoy your day in the sun.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 134
blackandwhitelaces
June 21, 2023, 5:22pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +152
Quoted from NorfolkImp

69 seasons out of 110 in the Football League at Tier 3 or higher suggests otherwise …. what is it, 20 (TWENTY) years in the basement division or lower for you chaps now?

Wow Lincoln are MASSIVE arnt they  

made in cleethorpes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 134
It Bites
June 21, 2023, 5:38pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.46
Rep Score: +4 / -10
Approval: +2,206
Gold Stars: 266
I'm going to comment on Lincoln City

Some ( mostly the 5/6000 add on fans) remind me of MK Dons supporters . No real concept of football and it's long history.
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 134
June 21, 2023, 6:46pm
Guest User
Quoted from NorfolkImp

You seem to have conveniently forgot about your 40 seasons in Tier 4.

Reply: 83 - 134
Posh Harry
June 21, 2023, 7:09pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,371
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from blackandwhitelaces

Wow Lincoln are MASSIVE arnt they  

No
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 134
blackandwhitelaces
June 22, 2023, 11:46am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +152
Quoted from Posh Harry

No

Oh yes that’s right they just think there massive

made in cleethorpes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 134
OddShapedBalls
June 22, 2023, 12:12pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Approval: +1,195
Gold Stars: 40
be fair lads, we have 38 Lincs senior cups each (the only stat they match Town on)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 134
Azimuth
June 22, 2023, 1:37pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +709
Gold Stars: 61
Amazed at the time spent and number of posts about Lincoln and Scunthorpe, lets be honest all clubs have ups and downs and are we they are at any current time due to fortunes and decicions both on and off the pitch.
Both Lincoln and Scunthorpe enjoyed sucess in recent years and while Scunthorpe have suffered massively Lincoln have managed to attract a lot of support many of whom have stuck around, I hope that we at Grimsby Town can emulate and supass some of Lincoln City' recent good fortune and ability to maintain increased levels of support we ourselves have seen since promotion last season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 134
GrimPol
June 22, 2023, 3:10pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +5 / -6
Approval: -787
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Azimuth
Amazed at the time spent and number of posts about Lincoln and Scunthorpe, lets be honest all clubs have ups and downs and are we they are at any current time due to fortunes and decicions both on and off the pitch.
Both Lincoln and Scunthorpe enjoyed sucess in recent years and while Scunthorpe have suffered massively Lincoln have managed to attract a lot of support many of whom have stuck around, I hope that we at Grimsby Town can emulate and supass some of Lincoln City' recent good fortune and ability to maintain increased levels of support we ourselves have seen since promotion last season.

Not much else to occupy us until August unless you are into cricket or ghoulish into Uke-Russo war, or Oxygen Countdown for the Titanic thing, sparring with an Imp Fan has to be our highlight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 134
nealeardleyscrossing
June 22, 2023, 3:30pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -306
Gold Stars: 4
You are always going to get banter between clubs and as mentioned a lot goes in circles, until significant change happens, and that is what I think the Cowley's and Clive Nates started. I would like to think we have stopped being a Yo - Yo club now and have consolidated within League 1  Our ground is much improved, and continues to improve and we have a decent training ground at this level. Our crowds are stable, and we have significant investment going into the club, we also operate a model where we can hopefully generate money from players sales.

A caveat to that is that it costs an awful lot of money to compete in L1 - I don't know for sure, but I would imagine our budget for players and staff is almost double what yours is in League 2? We lose money, though investment is covering that. That is why I think the promoted teams will struggle as I am not sure they are wealthy clubs - Wrexham I am sure will be an exception to that if they do well again. I am quite happy to plod in L1 and flirt with the play offs occasionally - I am more hopeful this year than last as I think we have made 3 good signings already, with a couple more to come - We have lost 2 good players but that is always going to happen. I am sure you will have a better season too, though I think Wrexham will win it comfortably, and I have a feeling Gillingham may be a dark horse too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 134
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Charles Vernam Returns

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.