Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Should England take the knee.?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

Should England take the knee.?

This thread currently has 15,946 views. Print
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
June 7, 2021, 1:11pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from LH

In a thread of utter excrement this is the sweetcorn on the top of the pile.

I am simply passing an opinion about the direction the game has taken. I find your comment objectionable. You seem to be just looking for trouble where none exists which for a moderator is pretty disgraceful.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 209
MeanwoodMariner
June 7, 2021, 1:16pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.39
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,673
Gold Stars: 8
We now have one group of people genuinely claiming that taking the knee has nothing to do with BLM. It's a spectacularly brazen piece of revisionism. On the other side, we have people booing at their own players before matches. There's a reason people suggest keeping politics out of sport. It's become an ugly, divisive mess.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 209
RichMariner
June 7, 2021, 1:24pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,135
Gold Stars: 209
I've read and heard a lot of opinions on this. We're all allowed to express an opinion (free speech, etc). I get all that.

But I can't get away from the deep discomfort I feel when I hear people boo.

It's a gut reaction. It feels like we're booing a protest against racism. I'm sure I'll be told it's more than that, and we can once again bring up topics like politics and Marxism but essentially it feels like people have gone searching for reasons to object against the gesture.

Watching the England players take a knee doesn't rile me like it does others. I just see a bunch of people who want to show solidarity in the fight against racism. I won't boo that.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 52 - 209
diehardmariner
June 7, 2021, 2:12pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,630
Gold Stars: 539
I think the players should be free to make whatever political gesture they like, within the law.  

For those who are calling for no place of politics in sport, have you had your eyes closed for the last god knows how many decades?  Politics and sport always have and always will be strongly linked.

Sadly, I now wonder what overall benefit the taking of the knee gives.  The stand against racism is not only admirable but well overdue.  Unfortunately the actions seem to draw out more morons.  The knee alone is not enough.  Firmer action is needed by more parties, not just the social media companies either.  Football has and is too soft on racism, but that change has to start internally.  A firm approach is needed on racist actions by players and fans, not gestures and token punishments.  Society has an even bigger role to play here, yes football has a social responsibility but this isn't a problem isolated to the game, it's far bigger than that.  Until society is actually prepared to tackle the issue head on, it's always going to be a case of swimming against the tide.

Without a firmer line I fear the knee will only serve to give fuel to those who oppose an anti-racism stance.  
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 209
Theimperialcoroner
June 7, 2021, 2:13pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from TAGG

That's a load of balderdash.
This all started with support of BLM, a Marxist band of charlatans and is still to this day.

intercourse it, I’ll bite…

Come on then TAGG. Please enlighten us with some proof of how all this is linked to Marxism and then give us 5 reasons why Marixism is as evil as you’re suggesting.

You won’t be able to will you because you’ve no idea what you’re railing against. You’re angry at your own impotence, you’re angry that you’re being marginalised in fact you’re just plain angry. Trouble is you’re focusing that anger in entirely the wrong direction. We live in a country where neoliberalism has ripped society apart in the name of making a few more tawdry shillings. Point your rage at those people rather than anyone trying to make the world a bit less excrement for everyone.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 209
mariner91
June 7, 2021, 2:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,658
Gold Stars: 262
It’s hilarious when 99% of the people who claim they’re so against “Marxism” don’t actually know what it is.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 209
Theimperialcoroner
June 7, 2021, 2:23pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,210
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from mariner91
It’s hilarious when 99% of the people who claim they’re so against “Marxism” don’t actually know what it is.

Very much my point 😉

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 209
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 7, 2021, 2:23pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,279
Gold Stars: 306
I'm just scanning the posts here looking for where the 'keep politics out of sport' brigade are piling in on Johnson and Dowden for criticising the ECB's decision to ban Ollie Robinson.....

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 209
lew chaterleys lover
June 7, 2021, 2:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from LH

In a thread of utter excrement this is the sweetcorn on the top of the pile.

That comment says far more about you than it does RRFC. Are we only allowed to express views that suit your narrative? His post was not in the least contentious and your reaction to it is beyond bizarre.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 209
lew chaterleys lover
June 7, 2021, 2:59pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,724
Gold Stars: 237
I'm just scanning the posts here looking for where the 'keep politics out of sport' brigade are piling in on Johnson and Dowden for criticising the ECB's decision to ban Ollie Robinson.....

Have you tried a cricket forum?  

As it happens I for one am delighted the PM and Culture secretary have come out in support of Ollie Robinson. Trying to disrupt his career about tweets sent when he was a teenager is way over the top. He has given a full apology and that should be the end of the matter.
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 209
21 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Should England take the knee.?

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.