Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 245 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 60,160 views. Print
53 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
BobbyCummingsTackle
June 4, 2021, 10:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,192
Gold Stars: 291
One of the many legacies of the Principle Funder is that the words 'new' and 'stadium' in the same sentence immediately make me tut with contempt, shrug my shoulders and mutter under my breath "yeah, whatever..." before I quickly move on.

I suspect that the council is now talking about it again because the new owners have said it's unlikely to happen and the chance of regeneration money is going out of the window. They didn't have to worry about it when the Principle Funder was on board because of the opportunity to line his own pockets.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 520
Perkins
June 4, 2021, 11:06am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +15 / -8
Approval: +1,986
Gold Stars: 7
Council want to talk about it? thats all it is with this council, talk.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 520
KingstonMariner
June 4, 2021, 11:33am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Perkins
Council want to talk about it? thats all it is with this council, talk.

People said the same about the previous administration and voted them out. Maybe now people will see what little influence councils have these days, even when the government is of the same party and supposedly pumping lots of money into the town.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 520
horsforthmariner
June 4, 2021, 11:56am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +2,588
Gold Stars: 9
Am I the only person who doesn't want to move?

I like the fact that our stadium is vintage. I'm doubtful post pandemic that many of the sources of revenue that a new stadium would bring (meeting rooms) are as viable as they once were and I just don't see how heaping a load of debt onto the club helps us on the pitch.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 520
mimma
June 4, 2021, 12:03pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from horsforthmariner
Am I the only person who doesn't want to move?

I like the fact that our stadium is vintage. I'm doubtful post pandemic that many of the sources of revenue that a new stadium would bring (meeting rooms) are as viable as they once were and I just don't see how heaping a load of debt onto the club helps us on the pitch.

Yes you are!

The main stand needs rebuilding,  as does the Osmond. It is hemmed in by houses on all sides, which makes rebuilding difficult and that's if we get planning permission.

It would be cheaper to build a new stadium than rebuild bit by bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 520
mimma
June 4, 2021, 12:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
With the recent announcement about the building of a new road linking the roundabout at Morrisons to the roundabout on the M180, would it make the old Great Coates site become more viable? It would open up more land for building, so would there be a new site for a new stadium?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 520
aldi_01
June 4, 2021, 12:08pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from mimma

Yes you are!

The main stand needs rebuilding,  as does the Osmond. It is hemmed in by houses on all sides, which makes rebuilding difficult and that's if we get planning permission.

It would be cheaper to build a new stadium than rebuild bit by bit.

The new owners would possibly beg to differ. Not saying you’re wrong but they’ve made quite clear that they’re not just going to chase a pipe dream like the previous owner without exploring the redevelopment of BP.

Perhaps the money the council (never) had for the white palm tree could be offered to the club as a small investment (I know this won’t happen)?

There’s also the reason that BP is knackered in places because it’s been allowed to get that way because Fenty and co were obsessed with moving and saw no need to invest...annoying really because whilst the main stand isn’t the most accessible stand, underneath doesn’t need to be as excrement as it is with a small amount of time and effort with a few thousand...long term that’s much more sustainable for the club than borrowing £30m to build a breeze block shed...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 520
KingstonMariner
June 4, 2021, 12:10pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from mimma
With the recent announcement about the building of a new road linking the roundabout at Morrisons to the roundabout on the M180, would it make the old Great Coates site become more viable? It would open up more land for building, so would there be a new site for a new stadium?

Please no! No out of town stadium. No on so many levels.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 520
oochiad
June 4, 2021, 12:15pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.62
Rep Score: +9 / -3
Approval: +3,675
Gold Stars: 27
Your not the only one Horsforthmariner, I want to stay put also for the time being........we need to sort lots of other stuff out first......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 520
ska face
June 4, 2021, 12:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,549
Gold Stars: 838
Quoted from mimma

The problem with the M180 site is that the land owners didn’t want to sell, we didn’t have the money to buy and no anchor tenant could be found to fund it. There’s no money or interest in out-of-town developments like this anymore. That ship sailed about 20-25 years ago and luckily, though not by choice, we weren’t on it.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 520
53 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.