Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 212 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 60,161 views. Print
53 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
June 7, 2021, 9:51am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Kris2

Well if we need to spend it on art can't we just stick an expensive metallic blob (modern art sculpture) in the middle of the seafront and be done with it? That's what all the big cities of culture do. At least it wouldn't be a laughing stock and would bring more affluent folk over who like that sort of thing.

Out of curiosity who is responsible for the eyesores on the beach that everyone's parents and grandparents probably worked on as kids?

Like I said, but m not defending the tree, so you’re barking up the wrong one 😆

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 520
KingstonMariner
June 7, 2021, 9:55am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

I'd hope most of it would come from the public sector - central government grant and prudential borrowing by the Council, with Town taking a lease and perhaps paying for the GTFC specific bits of the fit out - club shop, ticket office etc. One precedent is the deal West Ham have on the Olympic Stadium, I'm sure there are others.

This stadium is a good precedent, Northampton Saints - circa 15k capacity. Replace the seats at the smaller end with safe standing as the Pontoon. The end with Saints on the seats would be the away end. Atmosphere is great - all kept in the stadium

[url]https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/club/our-stadium[/url]

Are you suggesting we should have safe standing? I thought that idea has been knocked on the head because we’re not allowed to because when the Taylor Report came out we were in the second tier, and are therefore doomed to be all-seater for eternity.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 520
louth_in_the_south
June 7, 2021, 11:25am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,651
Gold Stars: 94
Surely this could be questioned by those in charge now . Just because we were in the second tier then , we haven’t been anywhere near it for years with little likelihood in the near future. A safe standing terrace down the side to replace the main would be a cost effective way of doing an upgrade to BP for the next few years as it seems unlikely we’ll be moving for a bit . Possibly even a stand that could be moved in some way even ?

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 520
tanga_the_indestructible
June 7, 2021, 11:39am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Are you suggesting we should have safe standing? I thought that idea has been knocked on the head because we’re not allowed to because when the Taylor Report came out we were in the second tier, and are therefore doomed to be all-seater for eternity.

We've moved on considerably since then. There are various discussions taking place about it. Celtic installed a section of safe standing in 2016. Man City are planning it too.
https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/amp/football/43589867

There's no reason why we couldn't have it (Morecambe already have it), especially in a new stadium (or stand, for that matter) where it could be factored into the plans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 520
Mrbump53
June 7, 2021, 11:51am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +4 / -1
Approval: +335
Gold Stars: 11
Not sure why people think this council will do some "prudential borrowing" and the public sector is absolutely strapped for cash so won't hold out much hope for anything from that area. I would also think it would be better if GTFC were in control of the project and not dependent on the Council as I am sure that the new board is more experienced with attracting funding from various sources to at some point in the future look towards a new ground. However, is this the right time to be seriously looking or should the board concentrate more on the immediate issue of supporting the manager to rebuild the team and get the club back into the football league?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 520
Limerick Mariner
June 7, 2021, 12:47pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,659
Gold Stars: 136
The council will get the grant though. The Levelling Up Fund can’t go to a private company Prudential borrowing would be the top up of investment needed and covered by the rent that GTFC would pay. West Ham originally paid only £2.5 million rent for a 60k capacity stadium. So GTFC would need to pay about £500k per annum - circa £35 per seat / terrace place - is that affordable? May be it could be a lower starting rent plus the turnover top up.

I should add, of course, that we don't need to speculate about this stuff - we now have competent people on the Board with proper expertise in these areas...

For me, the key point is that I'd like to see safe standing at Blundell Park in the interim and then built into the plans for a new stadium and my preference on location is off Freeman Street.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 520
mimma
June 7, 2021, 1:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 78
AP is a property developer,  I am sure he will have it all worked out what can and can't be done. I trust him to come up with a suitable plan and financial package to move the new stadium forward more than those on here who haven't got a clue as to what is involved.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 520
DB
June 7, 2021, 2:07pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,971
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
The council will get the grant though. The Levelling Up Fund can’t go to a private company Prudential borrowing would be the top up of investment needed and covered by the rent that GTFC would pay. West Ham originally paid only £2.5 million rent for a 60k capacity stadium. So GTFC would need to pay about £500k per annum - circa £35 per seat / terrace place - is that affordable? May be it could be a lower starting rent plus the turnover top up.

I should add, of course, that we don't need to speculate about this stuff - we now have competent people on the Board with proper expertise in these areas...

For me, the key point is that I'd like to see safe standing at Blundell Park in the interim and then built into the plans for a new stadium and my preference on location is off Freeman Street.

£500K per annum divided by 23 home games (not allowing for cups etc.) is £21,739 divided by an average gate 3,500 is about £6 per seat or just over £5 with a 4,000  ave. gate.

I don't think this is sustainable at present, however, London rents are not Grimsby rents so something a lot less in rent, say £125K may be feasible, just. At the end of the day, the council could also collect revenue from car parking, etc.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 520
NorthLondonMariner
June 7, 2021, 9:58pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +415
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from DB

£500K per annum divided by 23 home games (not allowing for cups etc.) is £21,739 divided by an average gate 3,500 is about £6 per seat or just over £5 with a 4,000  ave. gate.

I don't think this is sustainable at present, however, London rents are not Grimsby rents so something a lot less in rent, say £125K may be feasible, just. At the end of the day, the council could also collect revenue from car parking, etc.

Could also add conferencing facilities into the design &  retail & hospitality units around the ground floor level. A decent live music venue with around 1000 standing capacity wouldnt go a miss either. All we have at the moment is the auditorium with 2000 standing cap and docks academy with 300 standing capacity. The town misses out on so many bands routing tours via Grimsby with no decent 500-1000 cap venue, I know this for a fact as it's my line of work & I've put 700 cap shows on in town before at the beachy, but it's far from ideal and very hard to break even when you have to hire in a decent sound and lighting system & pit barrier, it also has no dressing rooms and can only be hired out to promoters outside of the tourist season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 520
Limerick Mariner
June 7, 2021, 10:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,659
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from NorthLondonMariner

Could also add conferencing facilities into the design &  retail & hospitality units around the ground floor level. A decent live music venue with around 1000 standing capacity wouldnt got a miss either. All we have at the moment is the auditorium with 2000 standing cap and docks academy with 300 standing capacity. The town misses out on so many bands routing tours via Grimsby with no decent 500-1000 cap venue, I know this for a fact as it's my line of work & I've put 700 cap shows on in town before at the beachy, but it's far from ideal and very hard to break even when you have to hire in a decent sound and lighting system & pit barrier, it also has no dressing rooms and can only be hired out to promoters outside of the tourist season.

Exactly, a coordinated sporting and cultural regeneration plan will tick the boxes needed for the grant programmes. That will be part of the business case for the 5k+ capacity stand (as opposed to some tinpot Glanford Park lookalike). I agree £500k looks too high when you look at it per ticket that's why a turnover rent would be better. I would hope that in a new stadium we never have an average gate as low as 3,500 though, even in the National League. Back in the EFL we would also get a higher away fan average - even Scunthorpe might muster 2k plus...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 520
53 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.