Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 107 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 60,068 views. Print
53 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
pen penfras
June 6, 2021, 12:33pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Kris2

Only Fenty could spend that money on something so gaudy.  

Don't have much faith the money will be spent on anything Cleethorpes actually needs either way, I'm sure they'll take 600k and splash it on light shows and other dumb showy things like "modern art sculptures" and murals that don't add anything to the resort. If they want to improve tourism how about spending money on attractions, maybe get rid of the 100 year old attractions on the beach and build something new for people to enjoy. Not spend the money on stupid art projects that nobody cares about.

I think virtually everybody agrees with you. But when the government give money assigned to the arts, you have to spend it on that.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 520
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 6, 2021, 12:57pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,789
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from pen penfras

I think virtually everybody agrees with you. But when the government give money assigned to the arts, you have to spend it on that.

Nice holiday under your rock?

Rose is on fire

And your scotch eggs are fu(king vile
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 520
Withnail
June 6, 2021, 1:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +1,450
Gold Stars: 36
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Been fortunate to have had many an afternoon/evening on ‘the shed’. For me, and slightly biased about it, no ground in rugby comes close to it for atmosphere

Agreed. Gloucester is an anomaly as it's a rugby union club in England with a significant working class following.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 520
KingstonMariner
June 6, 2021, 2:33pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.09
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from Kris2

Don't have much faith the money will be spent on anything Cleethorpes actually needs either way, I'm sure they'll take 600k and splash it on light shows and other dumb showy things like "modern art sculptures" and murals that don't add anything to the resort. If they want to improve tourism how about spending money on attractions, maybe get rid of the 100 year old attractions on the beach and build something new for people to enjoy. Not spend the money on stupid art projects that nobody cares about.

I’m not defending the palm tree, but the attractions on the beach are private businesses. The council won’t be investing in anything like that. Their role is providing the overall environment to attract visitors.

And to be fair to pp in a later comment, money for public art must be spent on that or handed back.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 520
Kris2
June 6, 2021, 2:58pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,628
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I’m not defending the palm tree, but the attractions on the beach are private businesses. The council won’t be investing in anything like that. Their role is providing the overall environment to attract visitors.

And to be fair to pp in a later comment, money for public art must be spent on that or handed back.

Well if we need to spend it on art can't we just stick an expensive metallic blob (modern art sculpture) in the middle of the seafront and be done with it? That's what all the big cities of culture do. At least it wouldn't be a laughing stock and would bring more affluent folk over who like that sort of thing.

Out of curiosity who is responsible for the eyesores on the beach that everyone's parents and grandparents probably worked on as kids?
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 520
Limerick Mariner
June 6, 2021, 4:33pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,639
Quoted from Withnail

Agreed. Gloucester is an anomaly as it's a rugby union club in England with a significant working class following.

The 4,000 people that stand on Leicester's Crumbie Terrace are not posh I can assure you...

Back on topic. We need two big stands - a minimum 5k seat capacity down one side is needed to create a big enough under stand area for conferencing and community uses, and an away end with 3k capacity. Apart from that two smaller stands that are mainly safe standing would be fine for me - that will get us the 14k that we need. There's enough vacant land adjoining Freeman Street now for that kind of stadium and some parking. The council can get on with other land acquisitions to expand the regeneration area while the stadium is being built.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 520
DB
June 6, 2021, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.50
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,952
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Limerick Mariner

The 4,000 people that stand on Leicester's Crumbie Terrace are not posh I can assure you...

Back on topic. We need two big stands - a minimum 5k seat capacity down one side is needed to create a big enough under stand area for conferencing and community uses, and an away end with 3k capacity. Apart from that two smaller stands that are mainly safe standing would be fine for me - that will get us the 14k that we need. There's enough vacant land adjoining Freeman Street now for that kind of stadium and some parking. The council can get on with other land acquisitions to expand the regeneration area while the stadium is being built.

What you are saying is the basis of a good plan. However you have to consider the cost, I believe £20 million was quoted some years ago for the Gt Coates site.

Presumably, the land would be free! being council and money from regeneration would help. I don't know if FA grants are available but the rest of the money would have to be found. So there will be a shortfall of a few million quid.

The problem as I see it at the moment is where is the shortfall going to come from?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 520
Limerick Mariner
June 6, 2021, 7:44pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,639
Quoted from DB

What you are saying is the basis of a good plan. However you have to consider the cost, I believe £20 million was quoted some years ago for the Gt Coates site.

Presumably, the land would be free! being council and money from regeneration would help. I don't know if FA grants are available but the rest of the money would have to be found. So there will be a shortfall of a few million quid.

The problem as I see it at the moment is where is the shortfall going to come from?

I'd hope most of it would come from the public sector - central government grant and prudential borrowing by the Council, with Town taking a lease and perhaps paying for the GTFC specific bits of the fit out - club shop, ticket office etc. One precedent is the deal West Ham have on the Olympic Stadium, I'm sure there are others.

This stadium is a good precedent, Northampton Saints - circa 15k capacity. Replace the seats at the smaller end with safe standing as the Pontoon. The end with Saints on the seats would be the away end. Atmosphere is great - all kept in the stadium

[url]https://www.northamptonsaints.co.uk/club/our-stadium[/url]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 520
1mickylyons
June 6, 2021, 8:47pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,382
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Kris2

Funny thing Kris but currently the biggest attraction in Cleethorpes is a hut put together by locals at no cost at all?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 520
BeijingMariner
June 7, 2021, 8:14am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,677
Gold Stars: 40
I am an art teacher by training and have had many a vigorous debate about the value of public art. Truth is that most of it is rubbish at best, insulting at worst and commissioned and made by people with very little understanding of the location or the possible benefits and making a connection between those two things. Artists are not people you can rely on to think in practical terms, on most occasions. But the people who commision public art certainly should be. Instead of conceptiual plastic stuff, why can't public art take the form of, say a series of wooden benches with carvings of different famous GY trawlers? Or maybe use the money to have the prow of an old trawler bolted into the Northwall as a viewing platform? Palm trees, no thanks. Politicians selling the idea of plastic palm trees to a disbelieving Cleethorpes public? No thanks. But public art can be both evocative of place and heritage as well as serving a public good, in my humble opinion.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 79 - 520
53 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.