Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 269 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 60,236 views. Print
53 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
June 24, 2021, 10:58pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,796
Gold Stars: 222
Just knock the main stand down and build a new one that stretchers the full length of the pitch and fill in the other corners that will give us a 12,000 capacity which is enough for a good few years.

Look at it again if we get to the championship and decide if we need a brand new stadium and a load of debt.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 520
promotion plaice
June 24, 2021, 11:08pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,026
Gold Stars: 194
Quoted from Poojah

It was merely a quick way to highlight the oversimplification of your list of clubs who have supposedly borrowed large sums of money, built stadiums and flourished. Since that apparently wasn't sufficient, I'll elaborate.

First and foremost, Hull don't own their stadium - it was paid for and is owned by Hull City Council, in turn funded by the curious local monopoly that is (or at least was) Kingston Communications. Reading's Madejski Stadium was largely funded (in the shape of interest free loans) by their owner John Madejski, a man with a current net worth of around £250m.

Swansea's Liberty Stadium is also council funded and owned. Wigan's then called JJB Stadium was funded outright by Dave Whelan (owner of JJB). Coventry's Ricoh Stadium has never been owned by the club and has been an absolute disaster. Rotherham, which you didn't mention, were handed a sizeable £5m loan by their local council to help cover the costs of their New York Stadium. Even Man City's ground is owned by the council - where would they be today had Manchester not hosted the 2002 Commonwealth Games?

If you want a real success story, go and take a look at Brighton. Tony Bloom lent the club the full £90 required to fund the AMEX Stadium, interest free, and his total loans to the club now exceed £350m. No problem, since the club is now worth considerably more than that. Speculate to accumulate, as long as you do it well.

My point is this, whilst not the only ways to fund a stadium, having a wealthy benefactor and / or a helpful council makes life significantly easier. We have had neither of those - just a blinkered, incompetent buffoon chasing a slew of pipe dream enabling developments and a disinterested, visionless local council. Even now,  we have apparently competent owners but I don't think they quite fall into 'wealthy benefactor' territory.

So, since you inferred it might be a sensible way forward, why don't our competent new owners go and competently borrow the money? Simple answer - because they can't, at least nowhere near enough to fund it on its own.

If Town were to build a new stadium to a desirable standard, you're looking at a bill of somewhere in the region of £30m. Naming rights, grants etc. could cover some of that but you're still looking at a shortfall north of £20m. No financial institution is going to lend a struggling, non-league club that kind of sum with no security.

That's the problem with stadiums - they don't work like normal property. If I default on my mortgage, the bank can repossess an asset worth more than my outstanding loan (unless I'm in negative equity, but that's the reason you don't see 100% mortgages anymore). But if a stadium costs £30m to build, its actual market value is substantially (and I mean substantially) less than that. It's barely worth anything to anyone but the club.

Case in point, Darlington Arena cost £18m to build in 2003 (so in today's construction money, that's about £35m+). When they went out of business, it was eventually sold to local rugby club Mowden Park for £2m, about 5% of its real terms build cost.

So, wrapping up, Jason Stockwood said that a new stadium was not a 'priority', not that it wasn't 'important'. That's very different. When you draw up a priority list, you don't just put all the really big, important stuff at the top - you have to temper that with things that can make small differences and yet be delivered quickly. A lot of things have been allowed to rot during the pursuit of the doomed Fentydome, and they need fixing.

I am sure that a new stadium remains very much on the new owners' agenda, but we have a number of holes to plug first. A redeveloped BP is probably the most pragmatic option since we already own the land and could redevelop a stand at a time, reducing the borrowing burden. Whether that's the right thing, I'm not sure. However, I am confident that all options will be considered and when the time is right, the best one will be pursued subject to a level of due diligence that has been grossly lacking in all previous failed attempts.

No offence Poojah mate but I don't read books  

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 520
Poojah
June 24, 2021, 11:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.24
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,457
Gold Stars: 1,500
Quoted from promotion plaice

No offence Poojah mate but I don't read books  

I tried the sarcy one-liner and he didn’t like that. What am I to do!?

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 520
jamesgtfc
June 24, 2021, 11:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from grimsby pete
Just knock the main stand down and build a new one that stretchers the full length of the pitch and fill in the other corners that will give us a 12,000 capacity which is enough for a good few years.

Look at it again if we get to the championship and decide if we need a brand new stadium and a load of debt.

I've often thought that we should look to extend the Findus and then move on to rebuilding the Main Stand and Osmond at the same height as they are now.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 520
mimma
June 24, 2021, 11:50pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,566
Gold Stars: 78
Quoted from jamesgtfc

I've often thought that we should look to extend the Findus and then move on to rebuilding the Main Stand and Osmond at the same height as they are now.

Unfortunately, I don't think the residents and council would be too keen on all the upheaval, Pete. As I mentioned before, the council said that they would not be that open to rebuilding, which led us to start looking at moving to Great Coates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 520
pen penfras
June 25, 2021, 8:14am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -130
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from grimsby pete

Redeveloping BP will cost more than building a new stadium, plus there's very little way to recover any costs from an enabling development or sponsorship. And the suggestion to spend £10M+ then think about binning that off if we get to the championship, is absurd. Although we'll unlikely get there in the next 20 years, so I guess it's a moot point.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 520
gtfcmd
June 25, 2021, 8:24am

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +210
Gold Stars: 3
isn't the main stand a listed building if so not so easy just to ''Knock it down ''
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 520
ginnywings
June 25, 2021, 8:36am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
The last three days have been spent removing the manky and rusting fence in the corner where the fanzone is being located and replacing it with a new blockwork wall, which was decided upon when the council became involved. Originally, the fence was going to be left in situ and a new one put up in front of it.

The residents at the back of the area we've been working on are very pleased to be looking at something tidy for the first time in decades, instead of a rusting mismatch of corrugated iron, bits of wood  and barbed wire.

I think the residents would be pleased to see something done with the rest of it, should it be decided to upgrade the existing stands, but don't underestimate how much work would be involved in redeveloping BP. You then are restricted to working with what you have in terms of space. The access needed for what is a major construction job would be challenging to say the least.

There has been countless contractors down there and at Cheapside, doing stuff that's needed doing for a long time, but when fans arrive for the first home game, apart from the obvious fanzone, the rest of the work will be largely unnoticed. Most efforts at the moment are aimed at improving facilities and conditions for the players for the coming season.

It would take a hell of a lot of time and money to bring BP into the 21st century and to my mind, it would be far simpler, quicker and probably cheaper to move to a new ground.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 520
ginnywings
June 25, 2021, 8:38am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from pen penfras

Redeveloping BP will cost more than building a new stadium, plus there's very little way to recover any costs from an enabling development or sponsorship. And the suggestion to spend £10M+ then think about binning that off if we get to the championship, is absurd. Although we'll unlikely get there in the next 20 years, so I guess it's a moot point.

Your glass really is empty PP.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 520
jamesgtfc
June 25, 2021, 8:38am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,938
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from mimma

Unfortunately, I don't think the residents and council would be too keen on all the upheaval, Pete. As I mentioned before, the council said that they would not be that open to rebuilding, which led us to start looking at moving to Great Coates.

Purely playing devils advocate here but if we move to a new stadium, how long will it be until a derelict Blundell Park is attacked by arsonists?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 520
53 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.