Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 336 Guests

council want to talk to Town about new stadium

This thread currently has 59,783 views. Print
53 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
mimma
June 7, 2021, 11:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,544
Gold Stars: 78
If the new owners get it right, I don't see why we shouldn't average over 10k. Ipswich for example,  has more or less the same population we have here, and have 12k season ticket holders. We don't have any big teams close to us, and Grimsby is a football town, so the demand is there, we just need to get it right on and off the pitch. This is why we need a new modern stadium. People of today will not put up with awful facilities any more. They demand comfort with all the bells and whistles that go with it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 520
WOZOFGRIMSBY
June 8, 2021, 12:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from mimma
If the new owners get it right, I don't see why we shouldn't average over 10k. Ipswich for example,  has more or less the same population we have here, and have 12k season ticket holders. We don't have any big teams close to us, and Grimsby is a football town, so the demand is there, we just need to get it right on and off the pitch. This is why we need a new modern stadium. People of today will not put up with awful facilities any more. They demand comfort with all the bells and whistles that go with it.

Using a team with recent top flight pedigree and past European success isn’t probably the best example. I would say a team like Rotherham or Peterborough are probably more like us.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 520
aldi_01
June 8, 2021, 6:10am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Using a team with recent top flight pedigree and past European success isn’t probably the best example. I would say a team like Rotherham or Peterborough are probably more like us.

Rotherham, Lincoln and to some extent, Doncaster are all teams that could be used as an example/blue print to help build us up...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 520
GollyGTFC
June 8, 2021, 6:34am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from Limerick Mariner
The council will get the grant though. The Levelling Up Fund can’t go to a private company Prudential borrowing would be the top up of investment needed and covered by the rent that GTFC would pay. West Ham originally paid only £2.5 million rent for a 60k capacity stadium. So GTFC would need to pay about £500k per annum - circa £35 per seat / terrace place - is that affordable? May be it could be a lower starting rent plus the turnover top up.

I should add, of course, that we don't need to speculate about this stuff - we now have competent people on the Board with proper expertise in these areas...

For me, the key point is that I'd like to see safe standing at Blundell Park in the interim and then built into the plans for a new stadium and my preference on location is off Freeman Street.

There is absolutely no way that we would move to a new stadium and only be the tenants. Any new stadium would be owned 100% by GTFC.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 93 - 520
KingstonMariner
June 8, 2021, 8:45am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
What happened at West Ham isn’t a guide. The body charged with it wanted to shift responsibility for upkeep of the Olympic Stadium onto someone else - they calculated that it was more expensive to the public purse not to virtually give it away. So West Ham got a bargain.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 520
aldi_01
June 8, 2021, 10:38am

Barley Wine Drinker
Whilst the idea of stadiums being owned/operated by local councils and clubs sounds like a good idea just pop across to Italy and see the issues it causes.

One could argue that with italian politics being bent it’s a no win situation but it more than that...

It’s also notoriously difficult to get funding to redevelop and generally keep the stadia up to date, let alone ever get planning permission to build a new stadium...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 520
rancido
June 8, 2021, 10:40am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,447
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from aldi_01

Rotherham, Lincoln and to some extent, Doncaster are all teams that could be used as an example/blue print to help build us up...

Doncaster is a good example as they went non-league and still ended up with a new stadium.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 520
aldi_01
June 8, 2021, 10:41am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Doncaster is a good example as they went non-league and still ended up with a new stadium.

Agreed and I appreciate they had financial issues to some extent on their return, they’re another club that made some tough but right decisions and are in a significantly better place than us...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 520
KingstonMariner
June 9, 2021, 12:58am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from aldi_01
Whilst the idea of stadiums being owned/operated by local councils and clubs sounds like a good idea just pop across to Italy and see the issues it causes.

One could argue that with italian politics being bent it’s a no win situation but it more than that...

It’s also notoriously difficult to get funding to redevelop and generally keep the stadia up to date, let alone ever get planning permission to build a new stadium...

Our politics has gone the same way, or have you not noticed all those contracts being awarded to friends and family over the last year? Admittedly that’s central government.

At the local level I’ve heard there have been suspicious goings on too. Apparently one head of regeneration for an authority on the east coast set up a business with a convicted fraudster and then introduced him to the council. He ran a sports outfit and has fingers in construction related businesses too. Can’t remember what town it was but I read about it in Private Eye.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 520
aldi_01
June 9, 2021, 7:32am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Our politics has gone the same way, or have you not noticed all those contracts being awarded to friends and family over the last year? Admittedly that’s central government.

At the local level I’ve heard there have been suspicious goings on too. Apparently one head of regeneration for an authority on the east coast set up a business with a convicted fraudster and then introduced him to the council. He ran a sports outfit and has fingers in construction related businesses too. Can’t remember what town it was but I read about it in Private Eye.

Oh I don’t disagree…I just couldn’t be arsed with the pro Fenty types telling me/ya that we’re wrong…

Local politics is as corrupt here as in Italy…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 520
53 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › council want to talk to Town about new stadium

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.