Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

TV Times

This thread currently has 14,245 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
June 10, 2022, 8:00am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
The Serpent
9/10

In the mid-1970s Charles Shobhraj is a gem dealer in Bangkok. However with his girlfriend and another accomplice he is responsible for the murders of scores of tourists. His crimes go unnoticed until a Dutch diplomat starts investigating the disappearance of two Dutch tourists.

After watching this I wondered why it had taken me so long to come to it. I wasn't aware of the story which is truly shocking and it wasn’t what I was expecting.
The performance of Tahar Rahim was great which will be no surprise to those that have seen The Mauritanian. I was hooked after about 30mins and remained so until the end.
There were moments in it that made my skin crawl and made my hands sweat. Brilliant series!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 318
ginnywings
June 14, 2022, 8:17pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Sandford1981
The Serpent
9/10

In the mid-1970s Charles Shobhraj is a gem dealer in Bangkok. However with his girlfriend and another accomplice he is responsible for the murders of scores of tourists. His crimes go unnoticed until a Dutch diplomat starts investigating the disappearance of two Dutch tourists.

After watching this I wondered why it had taken me so long to come to it. I wasn't aware of the story which is truly shocking and it wasn’t what I was expecting.
The performance of Tahar Rahim was great which will be no surprise to those that have seen The Mauritanian. I was hooked after about 30mins and remained so until the end.
There were moments in it that made my skin crawl and made my hands sweat. Brilliant series!

Thanks for the review. Looked at this a few times but always passed on it for something else. Will give it a go now.

This is going to hurt. 9/10.

On BBC Iplayer starring Ben Wishaw as a gynae doctor in the NHS, based on the memoirs of an actual doctor.

It's in turns sad, shocking and full of humour, dark and otherwise. Full recommendation from me.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 318
Sandford1981
June 15, 2022, 12:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Thanks for the review. Looked at this a few times but always passed on it for something else. Will give it a go now.

This is going to hurt. 9/10.

On BBC Iplayer starring Ben Wishaw as a gynae doctor in the NHS, based on the memoirs of an actual doctor.

It's in turns sad, shocking and full of humour, dark and otherwise. Full recommendation from me.

My better half loved the book and loved the series too. Ben Wishaw is a talent!

I’m still on with The Americans and I’m currently on season 4. It’s right up there with my absolute favourite TV series.

Private Message
Reply: 122 - 318
ginnywings
June 15, 2022, 6:42pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Glad you're still enjoying it. I will probably watch it all again in the dark winter nights.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 318
ginnywings
June 24, 2022, 7:02pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Under the Banner of Heaven.

10/10 Outstanding.

The series is based on the book of the same name and concerns two time lines in 1880's and 1980's Utah and the Mormon faith, which is known as LDS in the series, or Latter Day Saints to be precise.

It concerns the events that led to the formation of the Mormon church and draws parallels with a group of modern day FLDS (fundamentalist) disciples that want to return to the old ways of absolute control over the marriage and to be able to practice polygamy and blood atonement for wrongdoing. It centres around the Lafferty family who are ruled with a rod of iron by their father and patriarch.

LDS followers believe they can hear the voice of God who they refer to as Heavenly Father and basically they can say and do anything they like and say it was willed by heaven, with the church elders only being concerned with sweeping the more pernicious practices under the carpet and saving face.

These beliefs lead to some gruesome practices which are investigated by a Mormon police detective and his partner who is a Paiute Indian, and an unholy Lamanite to the Mormons, with totally different belief structures. The Mormon detective is played superbly by Andrew Garfield, who starts to question his faith during the investigation.

It was in turns infuriating, shocking and sad to see the lengths people will go to in the name of religion and just furthered my view that organised and indoctrinated religion can be very dangerous when it's used to justify heinous acts.

The truly shocking bit is that it is based on real events.

Thoroughly recommended.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 318
Sandford1981
June 25, 2022, 7:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Suspect
4/10

Veteran detective Danny Frater is called to a hospital mortuary to identify a corpse only to find it is his estranged daughter. Traumatized by the news she took her own life, Frater sets out to discover the truth about her death.

I would have given up on this after about 40 minutes but Mrs Sandford persuaded me to persist. I did and I wish I hadn’t. Very disappointing to say the least despite a very good cast. Something felt very ‘off’ about it for me.

My advice is don’t bother!

Private Message
Reply: 125 - 318
Sandford1981
July 1, 2022, 1:29pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Sherwood
9/10

Two shocking and unexpected murders shatter an already fractured community leading to one of the largest manhunts in British history.

A brilliant ensemble cast of British acting talent bring to life a great story. I think we have a tendency to ‘do down’ our own productions in favour of the glitz and glamour of TV from across the pond. There are numerous shows I love from the states but I think this stands up to any of them. I’m sure people will disagree with me but myself and Mrs Sandford were fully engrossed by it from start to finish.

Private Message
Reply: 126 - 318
ginnywings
July 1, 2022, 8:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Sandford1981
Sherwood
9/10

Two shocking and unexpected murders shatter an already fractured community leading to one of the largest manhunts in British history.

A brilliant ensemble cast of British acting talent bring to life a great story. I think we have a tendency to ‘do down’ our own productions in favour of the glitz and glamour of TV from across the pond. There are numerous shows I love from the states but I think this stands up to any of them. I’m sure people will disagree with me but myself and Mrs Sandford were fully engrossed by it from start to finish.

It's strange. TV from across the pond used to be garbage until the likes of HBO came along and the best dramas were made in the UK.

We are still capable of making decent dramas here but most TV companies fill their schedules with inane pap, because it is cheap to make and brings in the income.

I'll give it a look.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 318
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
July 1, 2022, 10:35pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,829
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Sandford1981
Sherwood
9/10

Agree with this - 9/10 from Mrs & Mrs Knut.

Not completely sold by the ending and I can already picture the second series being as far fetched and strung out as a Fabregas transfer rumour.

Cast was brilliant.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 318
ginnywings
July 4, 2022, 10:16pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Barry.
9/10

Just finished season 3 of this, which is billed as a half hour black comedy crime drama thriller, and it gets darker by the series.

It centres around Barry Berkman, former US Marine and now contract killer, who wants to give up killing people and become an actor, but keeps on getting dragged back in by his handler, who is desperate to keep him in the gun for hire business.

It stars Bill Hader, who also joint created the show and also has Henry Winkler as Gene, Barry's acting coach. Gene can't get a gig because he is a colossal pain in the ar$e and has upset everyone in Hollywood, as well as alienating his family.

It's funny and chaotic and I have loved every series.

Thoroughly recommended.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 318
32 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.