Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 32 Guests

TV Times

This thread currently has 13,892 views. Print
32 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
February 24, 2021, 7:49am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
I know personally I’ve had more time than ever over the last year to watch the ‘idiot box’ (make of that what you will 😊).
Also over the last 15 years there has been a big shift from purely films to binge worthy and top rate tv series. This is for a number of reasons not least the emergence of multiple platforms like Netflix, Disney, on demand etc..

I thought it a good idea to start a thread in which we can discuss all things TV such as the classics, rate our favourites and our last watch.

Myself and the better half and have just finished Bosch.

Harry Bosch is an irreverent homicide detective in Los Angeles. Like any good protagonist he has problems with authority, follows his gut and bends a few rules while achieving the best solved case rate in all of California.

Thoroughly enjoyed this. 8/10

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
DB
February 24, 2021, 12:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,975
Gold Stars: 386
Sherlock Holmes for me. I prefer Jeremy Brett and Basil Rathbone in the role, other do a reasonable job but fall short of these two.

Favourite Holmes Joke:-

Camping on a hill top Holmes wakes Watson

What do you see Watson
Stars Holmes, Millions of them
What do you deduct Watson
Well Holmes it's our galaxy full of lights, pretty lights but years away

What do you deduct Holmes
Somebody pinched the bloody tent  

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 318
KingstonMariner
February 24, 2021, 2:21pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Does Bosch drill down into the procedural detail?

I like New Tricks. More to it than meets the eye. Seen most of it twice now thanks to all the Drama type channels on Freeview. I’m a tight git and don’t subscribe to anything.

Nordic Noir stuff. Becoming a bit formulaic but still enjoyable. And the style is seeping into British crime drama - dark interior shots, grey decor, discordant bass strings, lingering shots of flat land and sky. At times the Swedish ones are a bit like listening to Taggart. “Ring der Polis. A mon is deid. Der het bin en morder.” The language is interchangeable with Scots 😆.

It’s well done but I think the BBC version of Wallender was a waste of money as there was a perfectly good one they could have bought off the shelf. Why go all the way there to film the same stories?

Loads of old stuff on. For comedy Hardware is a laugh.

Partial to Combat Dealers too. Bruce Crompton is worth the admission fee on his own, and there’s usually some interesting old bits and pieces on it.

Monday night is quiz night. Mastermind, Only Connect and University Challenge. Keep the little grey cells working.

I really need to get out more!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 318
BlackandWhiteBarmy2
February 25, 2021, 1:18am
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.30
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,022
I love Only Connect. I'm rubbish at it but Vicky Coren-Mitchell is worth making myself feel stupid for.

Used to like watching Poker way back when Vicky was either on it or commentating.

At present I am watching WandaVision on Disney Plus and Superstore on Netflix. Don't get the chance to watch too much as the wife and daughter tend to hog the telly.

And when you fall back into the mud it hurts a lot.
No! None of it was true, none of those things we thought we could see existed at all.
All that was really there was still more misery

Emile Zola
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 318
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2021, 12:49am
Meths Drinker
I love Only Connect. I'm rubbish at it but Vicky Coren-Mitchell is worth making myself feel stupid for.

Used to like watching Poker way back when Vicky was either on it or commentating.

At present I am watching WandaVision on Disney Plus and Superstore on Netflix. Don't get the chance to watch too much as the wife and daughter tend to hog the telly.

Didn’t realise poker was a spectator sport. Wouldn’t have minded looking over VCM’s shoulder. The missus can’t stand her. I think for the same reason the Wolds don’t like the Peak District.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 318
Sandford1981
February 26, 2021, 9:24am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Didn’t realise poker was a spectator sport. Wouldn’t have minded looking over VCM’s shoulder. The missus can’t stand her. I think for the same reason the Wolds don’t like the Peak District.

Ha! I nearly spat my brew out reading that and I’m not one to waste a good cuppa.
Only connect is addictive and we often watch it. It’s better than most of the prime time game shows.
I have to say that I like house of games too.

Coming back to Wallander, We really enjoyed it. Thought Branagh was great as per. Watched the young Wallander and although watchable we weren’t impressed. No real connection at all so needs to be judged as a stand alone ,but in that case call it something else.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 318
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
February 26, 2021, 1:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
I enjoy the original Laura Norder.

The spin offs were good for a while but Laura Norder: Criminal Intent and Laura Norder: SUV became formulaic. Vincent D'Onofrio's psychotic personality became as distracting as the boobs Margita Hagertay inherited  from her mother.

So I quite enjoy some of the early series with Michael Moriaty and Jill Hennessey.

The early CSI series were good too.

Most of these latest Scandi and UK crime series have too much back story about the detectives, I just wish the writers would concentrate on the solving of dastardly crimes and let their detectives' personal lives only intrude very incidentally. Agatha Christie was good at this.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 318
DB
February 26, 2021, 6:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.51
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +3,975
Gold Stars: 386
Classic TV theme took me back decades, Wooden Tops, Bill and Ben etc. Then I thought of Town and not much changed over the last few years!

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 318
KingstonMariner
February 26, 2021, 7:07pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

Ha! I nearly spat my brew out reading that and I’m not one to waste a good cuppa.
Only connect is addictive and we often watch it. It’s better than most of the prime time game shows.
I have to say that I like house of games too.

Coming back to Wallander, We really enjoyed it. Thought Branagh was great as per. Watched the young Wallander and although watchable we weren’t impressed. No real connection at all so needs to be judged as a stand alone ,but in that case call it something else.

Don’t get me wrong, the Branagh version was good. I just don’t see the point of the Beeb spending all that money when there was a perfectly good one already to repeat.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 318
TownSNAFU5
February 26, 2021, 7:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,863
Gold Stars: 42
I like Unforgiven on ITV with Nicola Walker.

on first lockdown came across live individual and team jigsaw world championships.  Riveting.  I was in pieces after 10 mins.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 318
32 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.