Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 7 Guests

TV Times

This thread currently has 14,247 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
November 4, 2022, 7:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

I watched this a while back and can't remember much about it to be honest, which probably says a lot.

I read somewhere that there is to be a season 2.

Indeed there is-starts 15/1/2023! I am looking forward to it.
I think you are dead right with LOTR and HOTD, although LOTR is just dark and gritty enough to be interesting.
HOTD entire first season is 1 long set up for future series though for sure. I think you are right there snd once you’ve finished it I think you’ll be even more certain of it.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 318
ginnywings
November 6, 2022, 5:26pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
SAS: Rogue Heroes. 9/10, available on iPlayer to binge watch.

The story of the formation of the SAS by a quite mad Scottish Laird and his bunch of crazies and misfits recruited from all over the army, some of them from army prisons.

Frustrated at the way the war was going in North Africa, with Rommel sweeping through the country almost unopposed, Officer David Stirling came up with an idea for a fast moving unit, operating by themselves, for themselves with no direct backing or approval from the Army. Using his connections to the top brass he managed to convince them to let him have free reign to cobble together some men and equipment, with which they went on to cause carnage among the German supply depots and airfields. They come to the attention of Churchill, who allows his own son to go on a mission with them, which cements their credentials and leads to them being given better manpower and equipment.

It's a great story and the soundtrack is awesome, mixing music of the time with modern rock and punk classics by the likes of the Clash and AC/DC.

Recommended.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 318
promotion plaice
November 6, 2022, 6:42pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +17,084
Gold Stars: 200

No doubt it has been mentioned on before but me and my wife have just started watching "Ted Lasso" brilliant.

Roy Kent must surely be based on Rio Ferdinand and Jamie Tart based on Jack Grealish.

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 318
Manchester Mariner
November 6, 2022, 7:11pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,818
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from promotion plaice

No doubt it has been mentioned on before but me and my wife have just started watching "Ted Lasso" brilliant.

Roy Kent must surely be based on Rio Ferdinand and Jamie Tart based on Jack Grealish.

Likewise me and the other half started it last week and are half way through the second series. It is really, really great and very heart warming whilst managing to stay away from feeling sickly sweet.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 318
barralad
November 6, 2022, 10:29pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,295
Gold Stars: 127
Quoted from ginnywings

The story of the formation of the SAS by a quite mad Scottish Laird and his bunch of crazies and misfits recruited from all over the army, some of them from army prisons.

Frustrated at the way the war was going in North Africa, with Rommel sweeping through the country almost unopposed, Officer David Stirling came up with an idea for a fast moving unit, operating by themselves, for themselves with no direct backing or approval from the Army. Using his connections to the top brass he managed to convince them to let him have free reign to cobble together some men and equipment, with which they went on to cause carnage among the German supply depots and airfields. They come to the attention of Churchill, who allows his own son to go on a mission with them, which cements their credentials and leads to them being given better manpower and equipment.

It's a great story and the soundtrack is awesome, mixing music of the time with modern rock and punk classics by the likes of the Clash and AC/DC.

Recommended.

Finished tonight with The Stranglers "Something Better Change".
Shaping up to be a great series. Bit like the Dirty Dozen but more rooted in fact.

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 318
Rick12
November 7, 2022, 8:12am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from ginnywings

Recommended.
Thanks for the link Ginny.

I've read the book Rogue Heroes: The History of the Sas, Britain's Secret Special Forces Unit That Sabotaged the Nazis and Changed the Nature of War by Ben Macintyre. If you like the series I think you would enjoy this.

Interesting and tragic how the SAS was  formed by a Scotsman serving in the British army and was the first SAS unit worldwide which gave rise to other similar units around the world. Sad some of the losses his group had to suffer.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 318
OddShapedBalls
November 7, 2022, 11:08am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
Only one episode into SAS Rogue Heroes and loving it.

Have we already mentioned gangs of london?  Currently halfway through it and it's at least an 8.5/10 for me so far
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 318
Manchester Mariner
November 7, 2022, 11:51am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,818
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from OddShapedBalls
Have we already mentioned gangs of london?  Currently halfway through it and it's at least an 8.5/10 for me so far

I've seen the 1st series but not the 2nd as yet. Really enjoyed it and has some of the best full throttle action scenes I've ever seen, highlights being the siege on the country house and the Nigerians with machetes getting what's owed to them from an office of London bankers. Granted it's a bit silly at times but very watchable and pretty brutal.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 318
OddShapedBalls
November 7, 2022, 2:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

I've seen the 1st series but not the 2nd as yet. Really enjoyed it and has some of the best full throttle action scenes I've ever seen, highlights being the siege on the country house and the Nigerians with machetes getting what's owed to them from an office of London bankers. Granted it's a bit silly at times but very watchable and pretty brutal.

I honestly went in thinking it would be very gritty and suspenseful (ala sopranos), and was quite surprised at just how much action there is!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 318
ginnywings
November 8, 2022, 10:08pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
The Patient. 8/10.

Bit of a strange one but really good.

A serial killer, who was beaten relentlessly as a child by his father, kidnaps his therapist and locks him up in his mothers house out in the sticks in an attempt to get himself cured of his compulsion to kill. The therapist starts to psychoanalyse himself during the day when his captor is at work and questions his relationships with his own family, especially his estranged son, who is an orthodox Jew. He also spends time trying to figure out how he can get out of this situation alive.

Not much more to say without giving away the ending, other than it has ten 30 minute episodes, so it won't take up a massive amount of time to watch it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 318
32 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.