Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

TV Times

This thread currently has 14,244 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Sandford1981
November 14, 2022, 9:34am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
The Lincoln Lawyer
7.5/10

Mickey Haller, an iconoclastic idealist, runs his law practice out of the back seat of his Lincoln, as he takes on cases big and small across the expansive city of Los Angeles. Sidelined after an accident for almost a year, Haller is back in the courtroom, recovering from a drug habit. When Hollywood lawyer Jerry Vincent is murdered, Haller inherits his practice, including the defense of Trevor Elliott, a tech billionaire accused of murdering his wife and her lover. But as Haller prepares for the case that could launch him into the big time, he learns that Vincent's killer may be coming for him next.

I was attracted to this series because although it may be unfashionable I enjoyed the movie and so I gave it a whirl. Considering the source material it’s not surprising there was more than a touch of Bosch about this without ever threatening to be as good as it. However, I was entertained by it and overall enjoyed it. I think it’s probably 2 episodes too long but it’s not picking I guess. Solid but not spectacular!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 318
LH
November 14, 2022, 9:03pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,544
Gold Stars: 173
Rogue Heroes is brilliant. There is a slightly older documentary on iPlayer too which is worth a watch because it has interviews with the surviving men from the late 80s - although it does contain spoilers.
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 318
psgmariner
November 15, 2022, 12:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Just binged The English on i-player. Didnt think it would be my sort of thing but thought it was amazing.

One of those "worth the licence fee" moments which I seem to have less and less these days.

Private Message
Reply: 202 - 318
Sandford1981
November 15, 2022, 3:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker
SAS Rogue Heroes
8.5/10

I like the rest of you really enjoyed this and I shall look forward to future series. Connor Swindells as Stirling is very good but, Jack O’Connell as Paddy Mayne is bloody marvellous and for my money steals the show.

LH cheers for the heads up I sm going to get on the documentary tonight.

Private Message
Reply: 203 - 318
Manchester Mariner
November 23, 2022, 11:08pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,818
Gold Stars: 41
There's a couple of brilliant world cup based documentaries on the Iplayer at the moment. One about the Brazilian Ronaldo telling his story from France 98 to Japan/South Korea 2002. Then there's one about the Cameroon side of Italia 90 which is sort of like Cool Runnings except Cameroon didn't come last or crash a sledge. Both are top, especially the one on Cameroon, Roger Milla will always be one of my football heroes.

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/m001ffsj/the-phenomenon-ronaldo

https://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/p0dcwz86/green-lions-cameroon-90

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 318
Sandford1981
November 27, 2022, 8:25am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from psgmariner
Just binged The English on i-player. Didnt think it would be my sort of thing but thought it was amazing.

One of those "worth the licence fee" moments which I seem to have less and less these days.

The English
9/10

Follows a woman as she seeks revenge on the man she sees as responsible for the death of her son.

This is a love story but not in the conventional sense although it does exist within it. It’s a love story with both a way of life and genre.
There is a rich tapestry of different characters all interwoven and inextricably linked with one and another. This isn’t surprising considering it’s made by Hugo Blick who is responsible for one of my favourite tv series ‘The Shadow line’ (if you haven’t then watch it) and it shares similarities and actors.
There are brilliant performances throughout but I was particularly impressed with Rafe Spall who plays his role with aplomb.
Visually it looks stunning, it has a great cast and I was fully engaged with it throughout. An outstanding bit of work!!

Private Message
Reply: 205 - 318
ginnywings
November 27, 2022, 6:15pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Sandford1981

The English
9/10

Follows a woman as she seeks revenge on the man she sees as responsible for the death of her son.

This is a love story but not in the conventional sense although it does exist within it. It’s a love story with both a way of life and genre.
There is a rich tapestry of different characters all interwoven and inextricably linked with one and another. This isn’t surprising considering it’s made by Hugo Blick who is responsible for one of my favourite tv series ‘The Shadow line’ (if you haven’t then watch it) and it shares similarities and actors.
There are brilliant performances throughout but I was particularly impressed with Rafe Spall who plays his role with aplomb.
Visually it looks stunning, it has a great cast and I was fully engaged with it throughout. An outstanding bit of work!!

The English was excellent, but I recently watched The Shadow Line, and it shaded it for me.

Both more than worth a look.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 318
Sandford1981
November 27, 2022, 7:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

The English was excellent, but I recently watched The Shadow Line, and it shaded it for me.

Both more than worth a look.

I mean I absolutely loved ‘The Shadow Line’ and I thought ‘The English’ was great…

But which one was better???….. There’s only one way to find out……FIIIIGGHHHHTTT!!!!!!!

Seriously though If I had to pick I’d go The Shadow Line as it’s one of my all time favourites but theres only a homosexual paper between them. The theme tune to the former is brilliant too.

Private Message
Reply: 207 - 318
Manchester Mariner
November 27, 2022, 10:47pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,818
Gold Stars: 41
Whilst I agree that The Shadow Line was excellent television weren't you a bit disappointed that it was ultimately all about police pensions?

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 318
Sandford1981
November 29, 2022, 9:55am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner
Whilst I agree that The Shadow Line was excellent television weren't you a bit disappointed that it was ultimately all about police pensions?

It all came down to vast sums of money from laundering so in that, there’s a path well trodden but when you reduced it down to ‘just police pensions’ I smiled. I think it’s another reason to love it.
All that intrigue, the twists, corruption, criminality and killing (sounds like a normal shift for a met Bobby) and it was something as mundane and dry as a pensions. Brilliant!

Private Message
Reply: 209 - 318
32 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.