Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 10 Guests

TV Times

This thread currently has 14,071 views. Print
32 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
April 15, 2021, 8:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
If you've got Sky: The Flight Attendant.

Veers from comedy to dark drama. Great cast. I watched the first one thinking 'I'll give it a go..' but really enjoyed it.

Yeah, I enjoyed it too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 318
Sandford1981
April 16, 2021, 1:40pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings
Pennyworth.

Into the second season of this and it involves the story of an ex SAS man, who along with a couple of mates, after the war, goes into the security business and becomes embroiled in a plot to overthrow the monarchy by a secret society.

He also comes into contact with a CIA agent, who in the future turns out to be the father of Bruce Wayne aka Batman. Pennyworth is the man who eventually becomes Batman's butler. None of this is mentioned in the series, but I read it in one of the blurbs for the show. It sounds like it ought to be dreadful, but it's not.

It's quite dark in places and also quite funny too, sort of a black comedy in parts. It's also quite explicit, which I like and the post war period is portrayed well.

I’ve watched the first 2 episodes and I’m not yet decided.
I really like the Bet Sykes character but the lead actor and his accent is grating a little bit. Also he’s about as threatening as a sleepy kitten and we’re meant to believe he is ex special air service. Hopefully these are teething issues and I’ll be won round.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 318
Sandford1981
April 16, 2021, 6:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

I’ve watched the first 2 episodes and I’m not yet decided.
I really like the Bet Sykes character but the lead actor and his accent is grating a little bit. Also he’s about as threatening as a sleepy kitten and we’re meant to believe he is ex special air service. Hopefully these are teething issues and I’ll be won round.

2 more in. Scratch the above. I was wrong 😂

Private Message
Reply: 42 - 318
ginnywings
April 17, 2021, 8:54pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Glad you're enjoying it. Bet Sykes and her sister are my favourite characters.

Great acting by Paloma Faith and a convincing Northern accent given that she's a Southerner. She took inspiration from Vera Duckworth apparently.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 318
Sandford1981
April 18, 2021, 8:09am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Glad you're enjoying it. Bet Sykes and her sister are my favourite characters.

Great acting by Paloma Faith and a convincing Northern accent given that she's a Southerner. She took inspiration from Vera Duckworth apparently.

Ha! That’s even better, though I’m not sure I’ll be able to watch it without hearing Vera now!
Dave Boy is very amusing too.

Private Message
Reply: 44 - 318
Sandford1981
April 22, 2021, 8:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
If you've got Sky: The Flight Attendant.

Veers from comedy to dark drama. Great cast. I watched the first one thinking 'I'll give it a go..' but really enjoyed it.

My better half have and I watched this over the last week or so. I had low expectations but I thoroughly enjoyed it, as did Mrs Sandford.

Private Message
Reply: 45 - 318
Sandford1981
April 30, 2021, 10:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Pennyworth 8/10

Just finished the second series. I really enjoyed it. A strange mix of graphic novel, dark humour and violence that perhaps shouldn’t work but does. Bet and Peggy Sykes are brilliant.

Private Message
Reply: 46 - 318
Manchester Mariner
May 13, 2021, 4:41pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Gods Of Snooker

Whilst it's not up to the levels of that Chicago Bulls documentary The Last Dance, I thought this was a cracking sports documentary series. Set across the lifetime of Alex Higgins it goes deep on the rock n roll, tragedy and unlikely massive popularity that Snooker and it's many personalities had in the 80's. Snooker generally bores me and I don't think I've ever watched more than 5 minutes of it on the TV but having grown up through the 80's I was well aware of it as it crossed over into mainstream culture with the Chas N Dave song, spitting image puppets and tabloid headlines. Thoroughly enjoyed this and thought it was a great document of the time. The first episode was last Sunday on BBC2 but all 3 episodes are already on the Iplayer.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 318
Sandford1981
May 18, 2021, 12:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Yellowstone 9/10

Yellowstone follows the Dutton family, led by John Dutton, who controls the largest contiguous ranch in the United States, under constant attack by those it borders - land developers, an Indian reservation, and America's first National Park. It is an intense study of a violent world far from media scrutiny - where land grabs make developers billions, and politicians are bought and sold by the world's largest oil and lumber corporations. Where drinking water poisoned by fracking wells and unsolved murders are not news: they are a consequence of living in the new frontier. It is the best and worst of America seen through the eyes of a family that represents both.

Watched 2 seasons. About to start the 3rd. Brilliant show in my humble opinion. Looks stunning too.

Private Message
Reply: 48 - 318
Sandford1981
June 6, 2021, 4:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker
The last Ride
10/10

This Limited Series Event gives the WWE Universe a rare inside look at Mark Calaway, the man behind The Undertaker, as he prepares for what could be the end of his legendary career.

Wrestling and particularly the Undertaker was a massive part of my childhood. An absolute legend and my favourite of all time. I think I’ve said previously the story behind the  wrestlers is more interesting than what goes on inside the ring. So this is a perfect combination for me. Enjoyed every minute.

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 318
32 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.