Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 20 Guests

TV Times

This thread currently has 14,239 views. Print
32 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
September 9, 2022, 9:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Sandford1981
Ray Donovan
8/10

Ray Donovan, a professional "fixer" for the rich and famous in Los Angeles, can make anyone's problems disappear except those created by his own family.

We finally finished this after a hiatus of a couple of years. The better half loved it (or more accurately him) and I really enjoyed it too. With any long running series there are better seasons and episodes than others and this is no different. It’s a brilliant cast with a good mix of drama and dark comedy elements too. Liev Schreiber is excellent along with Eddie Marsan but my personal favourite was Jon Voight who was brilliant.

Agreed on Jon Voight as the lovable rogue. Though he was excellent and the series as a whole was very good.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 318
ginnywings
September 9, 2022, 10:30pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Becoming Elizabeth, 8/10.

Been watching this over the past few nights and the last two episodes were viewed last night after hearing of the death of the current Elizabeth, which gave it a certain added edge.

I'm not a royalist, far from it, but I do like history and this series about the young formative years of the daughter of Henry the Eighth and future Queen of England I enjoyed very much.

It spans the time from the death of her father to the death of his heir and the younger half brother of Elizabeth, Edward.

It's full of intrigue, political jostling for position, religious persecution, a war with Scotland and a peasant uprising. I found it fascinating and it makes you realise that some things never change over time and that the lust for power and status is always there, no matter the age or the players involved.

I assume there will be a second series when Elizabeth overcomes all the obstacles and hurdles presented to her and becomes one of the greatest British monarchs of all time.

Felt quite fitting to watch as Elizabeth the second came to the end of her reign and I'd recommend it if you like historical drama. Maybe something to watch this weekend ironically.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 318
Sandford1981
September 10, 2022, 5:58am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ginnywings

Agreed on Jon Voight as the lovable rogue. Though he was excellent and the series as a whole was very good.

We watched Ray Donovan the movie last night which was like an extended episode that really tied everything up I guess.
As such it was nice to put a lid on it, chalk it all off and put it in the ‘done’ pile.
We started Ray again as we have a few series that we started but for 1 reason or another and put down. I think we’re going to finish Ozark next.
Thanks for the recommendation on Becoming Elizabeth- I will add it to the list. I like you, don’t give two hoots about the royals but it didn’t stop me enjoying (unexpectedly and surprisingly I might add) The Crown.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 318
ginnywings
September 10, 2022, 6:56pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Sandford1981

We watched Ray Donovan the movie last night which was like an extended episode that really tied everything up I guess.
As such it was nice to put a lid on it, chalk it all off and put it in the ‘done’ pile.
We started Ray again as we have a few series that we started but for 1 reason or another and put down. I think we’re going to finish Ozark next.
Thanks for the recommendation on Becoming Elizabeth- I will add it to the list. I like you, don’t give two hoots about the royals but it didn’t stop me enjoying (unexpectedly and surprisingly I might add) The Crown.

And thank you for letting me know that there was a film made which ties up all the loose ends as it must have slipped past me and I didn't know it existed. Will probably watch it tonight.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 318
Sandford1981
September 11, 2022, 6:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
The Puppet Master: Hunting the Ultimate Conman
8/10

From the acclaimed filmmakers behind The Imposter, this three-part series tells the jaw-dropping story of one of the world's most audacious conmen who was convicted in 2005 for stealing fortunes and destroying multiple lives. But now, in an incredible twist, the story reaches into the present day, with a desperate family who fear for their mother's safety.

If this was a film you would describe it as far fetched (Rogue Agent but my point still stands). Scarcely believable I found myself getting very angry and frustrated with the man at the centre of it all. However, the lies, the web of deceit and outrageous nature of it makes it compelling viewing.The human cost on the people involved makes me shudder but It was intriguing and I would recommend watching it.

Private Message
Reply: 164 - 318
OddShapedBalls
September 12, 2022, 9:43am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
Cobra Kai, season 5 (Netflix)  7.5/10

Is it corny? yes.  Is it full of stereotypes? yes.  Is there remarkably few injuries from seemingly countless karate fights? yes.  

Do I care?  No.

You know exactly what you're getting with these series, a Karate kid reunion with more humour and a great soundtrack.  I'm astonished it's got to 5 whole seasons but I'll happily watch a  6th as light entertainment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 318
Maringer
September 12, 2022, 10:49am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,604
Gold Stars: 185
It's entertaining fluff which knowingly doesn't take itself at all seriously. Which is a good job when you've got some of the least convincing fight scenes ever choreographed, week-in, week-out!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 318
OddShapedBalls
September 12, 2022, 11:49am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.03
Rep Score: +5 / -1
Approval: +1,191
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from Maringer
It's entertaining fluff which knowingly doesn't take itself at all seriously. Which is a good job when you've got some of the least convincing fight scenes ever choreographed, week-in, week-out!

I know what you mean!  The A-Team had more realistic fights haha. I love how there's this massive bond villain type character involved.....all over kids karate clubs!  So out there but so brilliant.  I also think they did a good job in earlier series showing all the characters from multiple sides, like La Russo being a helmet in Jonny's eyes etc.  Light entertainment with lots of laughs and some depth but not s much that it becomes hard going.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 318
Sandford1981
September 12, 2022, 5:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Night Stalker: The Hunt for a Serial Killer
8.5/10

This limited docu-series tells the true story of how one of the most notorious serial killers in American history was hunted down and brought to justice.

I hesitate to say I really enjoyed this for obvious reasons but this was so engrossing and intriguing from start to finish. The tag line for the series is ‘lock your doors’ and I made doubly sure all doors and windows were secure before bed last night. It truly is nightmarish stuff and I can’t imagine how petrified the people involved must have been. It’s morbidly fascinating and extremely dark and won’t be for all but, it was well done and it ‘had me’ for the duration.

Private Message
Reply: 168 - 318
aldi_01
October 4, 2022, 10:45pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.02
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Dahmer- 3/10

Just drags, inaccurate and significantly better documentaries about him. Not getting the hype at all.

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 318
32 Pages Prev ... 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.