Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 11 Guests

TV Times

This thread currently has 14,067 views. Print
32 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
February 28, 2021, 1:51pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from ginnywings
The Great.

A very irreverent telling of the Catherine the Great marriage to Emperor Peter of Russia. It portrays Peter as a thick as p1gshit oik with way too much wealth and power. It's very funny in parts and is a different slant on the costume drama, most of which I can take or leave. I enjoyed it, but t'other half got bored with it after a few episodes.

8/10

It’s great entertainment. I love it. Best to take note of the blurb at the beginning “occasionally true”.

From what I’ve read previously, brief history, Peter III was grandson, not son, of Peter the Great. He was an aristocrat from Kiel in north Germany and taken to the Russian court by his aunt (Empress Elizabeth) after his parents died. He got married to the woman who became the Empress Catherine (also a German aristo and his second cousin). He was nominated by Elizabeth as her heir so when she died in 1762 he became Emperor (or Tsar).

Russia had been at war with Prussia (not Sweden*) for years (the Seven Years War) and Peter was a major fanboy of soldier king Frederick of Prussia (also called ‘the Great’). Peter declared a ceasefire and gave back all the Prussian territories that the Russians had occupied (for nothing, except I think for some British ‘subsidies’ - we’d been involved because of our rivalry with France and they were allied with Austria and Russia). Frederick gave Peter the Order of the Black Eagle and made him a Major General in the Prussian army which chuffed Pete to bits. Think he said he would rather be a sergeant-Major in the Prussian army than Tsar of All the Russias. He agreed to ally Russia to Prussia in the on going war between Prussia and Austria. So clearly he was batshit. This saved Fred’s neck (they were on the verge of defeat when Elizabeth died) but outraged some of the Russian court and army, so they backed his wife in the overthrow of Peter.

She did a much better job as ruler than anyone ever expected.

* though they did have several wars against the Swedes in the 18th century, they were actually allies against Prussia at the time Pete became Tsar.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 318
KingstonMariner
March 11, 2021, 11:57pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.07
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Bounce.

One for the oldies. BBC4 repeated Mark Lawton’s interview with Galton and Simpson. Superb programme. Fascinating subject obviously. Lawson think interviews people very well, displays his knowledge but he doesn’t let it get in the way, in fact it helps move things along. Simple format. 👍👍👍

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 318
Sandford1981
March 12, 2021, 9:21am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Just finished re-watching the original Office.
An absolute gift. I forgot how funny It was.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 318
ginnywings
March 12, 2021, 9:30am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,101
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Bounce.

One for the oldies. BBC4 repeated Mark Lawton’s interview with Galton and Simpson. Superb programme. Fascinating subject obviously. Lawson think interviews people very well, displays his knowledge but he doesn’t let it get in the way, in fact it helps move things along. Simple format. 👍👍👍

I watched some of that, but unfortunately I fell asleep half way through. Getting old.

I'm a fan of Lawson too.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 318
ginnywings
March 12, 2021, 11:11am

Recovering Alcoholic
Pennyworth.

Into the second season of this and it involves the story of an ex SAS man, who along with a couple of mates, after the war, goes into the security business and becomes embroiled in a plot to overthrow the monarchy by a secret society.

He also comes into contact with a CIA agent, who in the future turns out to be the father of Bruce Wayne aka Batman. Pennyworth is the man who eventually becomes Batman's butler. None of this is mentioned in the series, but I read it in one of the blurbs for the show. It sounds like it ought to be dreadful, but it's not.

It's quite dark in places and also quite funny too, sort of a black comedy in parts. It's also quite explicit, which I like and the post war period is portrayed well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 318
Sandford1981
March 15, 2021, 9:37am
Fine Wine Drinker
The Young Offenders 7/10

Coming-of-age drama about lovable rogues Conor and Jock as they navigate their awkward teenage years, hatching plans and adventures to help distract from their tough home lives and their inability to stay out of trouble at school.

Me and the better half have just finished watching this series. I enjoyed the film when it came out and this is just a continuation of it. Daft but disengage the brain and it’s easy watching and amusing.

Private Message
Reply: 25 - 318
Sandford1981
March 15, 2021, 9:40am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Pennyworth.

Into the second season of this and it involves the story of an ex SAS man, who along with a couple of mates, after the war, goes into the security business and becomes embroiled in a plot to overthrow the monarchy by a secret society.

He also comes into contact with a CIA agent, who in the future turns out to be the father of Bruce Wayne aka Batman. Pennyworth is the man who eventually becomes Batman's butler. None of this is mentioned in the series, but I read it in one of the blurbs for the show. It sounds like it ought to be dreadful, but it's not.

It's quite dark in places and also quite funny too, sort of a black comedy in parts. It's also quite explicit, which I like and the post war period is portrayed well.

Brilliant Ginny. Had this on my watchlist for some time and havent got round to it. Good rating on IMDB (my bible) but was waiting for someone to recommend it and convince me. Job done.

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 318
Sandford1981
March 15, 2021, 9:41am
Fine Wine Drinker
I finally got round to finishing the last series of Homeland last week (the joy of insomnia). It’s one of my favourite ever series.

Private Message
Reply: 27 - 318
ginnywings
March 15, 2021, 10:57am

Recovering Alcoholic
Quoted from Sandford1981
I finally got round to finishing the last series of Homeland last week (the joy of insomnia). It’s one of my favourite ever series.

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too but I thought it went on just a little too long and became a bit patchy towards the end.

Don't know if you have watched the Americans, which is espionage based and to my mind a lot better than Homeland. If not, it's highly recommended.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 318
Sandford1981
March 15, 2021, 11:33am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings

Yeah, I really enjoyed it too but I thought it went on just a little too long and became a bit patchy towards the end.

Don't know if you have watched the Americans, which is espionage based and to my mind a lot better than Homeland. If not, it's highly recommended.

If I was being critical I think there’s some yardage in what you are saying. A lot of programmes make the mistake of going a series or two too long. With some tele nowadays one or two series are too many. I can’t lie though it didn’t dampen my enjoyment of it in the slightest.

I haven’t seen the Americans but I am aware of it and it’s on my ever expanding watchlist.

I do get through a shed load of tv series and films. More than I care to add on here for fear on boring on. Lockdown and not always being the greatest sleeper has and does aid the volume I get through. I think there’s a tendency to look down on it, but I’m big in to good tv series and films.

Private Message
Reply: 29 - 318
32 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › TV Times

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.