Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › F A Chairman
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

F A Chairman

This thread currently has 19,674 views. Print
21 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Northbank Mariner
November 12, 2020, 5:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,528
Gold Stars: 172
Quoted from Ipswin

He hasn't got any copies he's finished with has he?

He may have but I'll gaurantee all the pages are stuck together!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 208
Meza
November 12, 2020, 5:28pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,645
Gold Stars: 50
Sometimes ive heard when passing by, others describe something with involves someones colour \ race.  But thats used to describe something.  

personally i have never seen anyone as different regardless of race or colour and im not racist but tackling something like this also needs to start from home.  Like you hear black people rap about other black people but its ok to say the "N" word(in songs and in films), they need to take a look at themselves, to a simple minded fool they could think its ok to call someone names cos they do it to themselves.

If we are being total honest its all pathetic if you ask me (pathetic as in politically correct).  

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 208
ska face
November 12, 2020, 5:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,751
Gold Stars: 851
Quoted from Meza

they need to take a look at themselves, to a simple minded fool they could think its ok to call someone names cos they do it to themselves.

Yes, everyone should adjust their behaviour to cater for “simple minded fools”, who need not bother sorting themselves out. Excellent.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 12, 2020, 5:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,745
Gold Stars: 237

We need to be careful with this 'it's the way they were brought up' and 'they don't mean any harm' defence of old people's racism - it's still racism. There was a time when beating your wife was acceptable, sending kids up chimneys was acceptable and it was the way people were brought up.

My parents were brought up with no phone in their houses but they've managed to adapt and facetime me once a week.

The impact of racism is not on the racists, it is on those who are racially abused, whatever that abuse looks like.

(I am making a general point here, not having a go at Knut or his parents).

It's not racism. It is all about context. Knuts parents don't mean any harm and that should suffice. Further down, Knut makes the point that society has to move on - indeed it does but it doesn't have to involve older people being excrement scared of what they say when they grew up with different descriptions of all sorts of things.Society moves on slowly as new generations take up the reins.
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 208
Gaffer58
November 12, 2020, 6:28pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,097
Gold Stars: 33
As mentioned earlier opposing players who were not white would be chanted at by the pontoon as “ you black bast@@@“ so assuming the fans new the parentage of the particular player are we saying they were already using the correct term 40 odd years ago?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 12, 2020, 6:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from 140067

For God's sake 'swin I'm 64 I'm well aware coloured is offensive and have been since the 60's as my aunt lived in Florida, they toilets labelled white and coloured. Buses for white and coloured and drinking fountains for white and coloured. Rosa Parkes was asked to get of the bus because she was coloured. This term was used to describe any one non white and denoted a lower class. Stay with it man and Google BAME. yes all lives matter but DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND THE BLM, its so much more. I went to school with Tony Ford I really didn't realise he was black until he played for Town when there were racist chants aimed at him. He was just our mate Tony.

The same applied in South Africa at the time. People were labeled and there were notices with those labels on them. There were laws in SA with those words. But the point was that we all knew the words themselves were innocent, it was the way the words were used and the people using them in that manner that were racist. Now the words themselves are considered racist when used  in almost any context. Before long will a child be allowed to say they have coloured in a picture?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 208
Ipswin
November 12, 2020, 6:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
''This term was used to describe any one non white''

I ask again, if we now have to use the word 'black' where we used to use the word 'coloured' (which apparently meant anyone who was not white) does that now mean therefore that anyone not white is now black?

Are those previously known as 'Cape coloureds' (like Basil D'olivera) now blacks? Many will not like that as S African 'blacks' are not to be confused with those termed 'Cape coloured' whose origins are Indian / Asian / white

Just trying to simply illustrate many will not like being called black anymore than they liked 'coloured'

Personally I'll fall into line with whatever is PC this week (frankly I don't normally mention or discuss race / colour / creed at all on a daily basis, its not something that particularly affects my life or bothers me) but please don't criticise me for the terms I grew up with in the 1950', 60s and 70s or for the fact that I appear not to be 'up to date' terminologywise

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 208
forza ivano
November 12, 2020, 7:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,264
Gold Stars: 266

It's not racism. It is all about context. Knuts parents don't mean any harm and that should suffice. Further down, Knut makes the point that society has to move on - indeed it does but it doesn't have to involve older people being excrement scared of what they say when they grew up with different descriptions of all sorts of things.Society moves on slowly as new generations take up the reins.

So by your reckoning it's perfectly acceptable for old people to call people coons, wogs,,black people, spastics, pak_is, bum boys etcetc coz that's the words they used 50 years ago?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 208
Ipswin
November 12, 2020, 7:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Talking of context, I distinctly recall calling someome a 'black illegitimate' It was very much in a total panic rather than racist context

He was at least a foot taller than me, twenty years younger and was resisting arrest at the time. I recall prefacing the words with 'will you keep still you'

Private Message
Reply: 128 - 208
Ipswin
November 12, 2020, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

So by your reckoning it's perfectly acceptable for old people to call people coons, wogs,,black people, spastics, pak_is, bum boys etcetc coz that's the words they used 50 years ago?

No of course it isn't but surely it's far more important to ensure the kids and young people don't grow up using those terms than it is trying to change the vocabulary of older folk who probably don't use them often anyway

Private Message
Reply: 129 - 208
21 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › F A Chairman

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.