Sandford1981
November 14, 2020, 9:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Ipswin

I am simply drunk off because everybody is getting so wound up because someone has used the word 'coloured' instead of black Not everyone is as up to date and painfully PC as the righteous on here claim to be

I am told that coloured is not acceptable because it used to signify 'non white' and I must now call people 'black'. Does that mean everyone who is non white is therefore now black? My light brown Moroccan neighbour will I am sure not like it much - I'll ask him

I suspect you know the answer to your question and once someone gives you it, it will set you off on a rant  as to how that particular term is as unacceptable as ‘coloured’.

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 208
friskneymariner
November 14, 2020, 9:52am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from Ipswin

It most certainly is, ever since a poster said his elderly parents still used the incorrect term no understanding has been shown to those of us who are not 100% up to date on current thinking (coloured / BAME etc)

As far as my neighbour is concerned of course I address him by name but were I to describe him to an outsider I wouldn't feel comfortable if I said 'that black bloke', to me that is incorrect and I don't feel comfortable using the term. I'm certainly not going to call over the fence today and say 'are you black Mo?'

Not all 'non-whites' are black, that's all.and the term is as incorrect as 'coloured' was.

Do you describe your other friend  (presuming you have one)as the white bloke' no?perhaps you can see the issue.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 208
Ipswin
November 14, 2020, 12:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Sandford1981

I suspect you know the answer to your question and once someone gives you it, it will set you off on a rant  as to how that particular term is as unacceptable as ‘coloured’.

No, I don't know. To all you PC people who know everything, is he flipping black or not?  No one has put forward an answer  to the question If someone is clearly 'non-white' are they automatically 'black'?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 208
Sandford1981
November 14, 2020, 12:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

No, I don't know. To all you PC people who know everything, is he flipping black or not?  No one has put forward an answer  to the question If someone is clearly 'non-white' are they automatically 'black'?

I don’t count myself as part of a ‘PC’ group and I certainly don’t know everything but a widely accepted descriptor is ‘a person of colour’.

Private Message
Reply: 193 - 208
Ipswin
November 14, 2020, 1:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Sandford1981

I don’t count myself as part of a ‘PC’ group and I certainly don’t know everything but a widely accepted descriptor is ‘a person of colour’.

Thank you very much (but I thought that wasn't allowed now) however that's the term I would probably imagine is most accurate

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 14, 2020, 1:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Sandford1981

In your capacity as knowing about accepted descriptors, what would you say is the difference between "a person of colour" and "a coloured person"?

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 208
Sandford1981
November 14, 2020, 2:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker

In your capacity as knowing about accepted descriptors, what would you say is the difference between "a person of colour" and "a coloured person"?

In my capacity as knowing about accepted descriptors😂

On the face of it it appears semantics doesn’t it but scratch the surface and it’s anything but.
The ‘coloured’ tag had or has deep rooted racist connotations that relate to Jim Crow laws in America. People were lynched and killed for being ‘coloured’. So I can imagine being labelled in such a way could be offensive and distressing.

As far as a person of colour is concerned I’d imagine that it denotes any person who is not white or black.

Private Message
Reply: 196 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 14, 2020, 3:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.34
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from Sandford1981

In my capacity as knowing about accepted descriptors😂

On the face of it it appears semantics doesn’t it but scratch the surface and it’s anything but.
The ‘coloured’ tag had or has deep rooted racist connotations that relate to Jim Crow laws in America. People were lynched and killed for being ‘coloured’. So I can imagine being labelled in such a way could be offensive and distressing.

As far as a person of colour is concerned I’d imagine that it denotes any person who is not white or black.

I accept the first part without question though I would say that it was a descriptor little heard in normal conversation the UK.

The second part seems to me to be as (in)offensive as the first part. Not just semantics. I would think someone who is called a "person of colour" would not make the distinction.

Slightly off beam - I lived in Nottingham for a while amidst a largely West Indian population and the term "darkies" was applied almost universally, including by them. They were also known to us students as "rastas" while to them we were "the white boys" when it came to Sunday morning cricket in the park. I would imagine all of this is now verboten though there was no malice given or taken.

On the other hand, I had a girlfriend at the time who came from from Liverpool and whose father was Jewish. Her mother was Catholic. The insults towards her mother for marrying a Jew were audible and vicious.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 208
Sandford1981
November 14, 2020, 4:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker

The second part seems to me to be as (in)offensive as the first part. Not just semantics. I would think someone who is called a "person of colour" would not make the distinction.

As I’ve alluded to already I’m no expert, I am only reflecting what I’ve picked up over the last few months via the books I’ve been reading around racism (that’s not to be clever, I just wanted to understand things better.)

Regarding the term ‘person of colour’, I’m sure we could find people who may reject the label for a myriad of reasons.

As people I feel we have a lovely habit of wanting to categorise everything, but equally we are uncomfortable being put in a category ourselves. However, from what I’ve read that doesn’t seem to be a contentious description.

Perhaps Ipswin could ask his neighbour for his opinion?

Private Message
Reply: 198 - 208
Manchester Mariner
November 14, 2020, 5:53pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41

On the other hand, I had a girlfriend at the time who came from from Liverpool and whose father was Jewish. Her mother was Catholic. The insults towards her mother for marrying a Jew were audible and vicious.

My mother in law is from Liverpool and the amount of agro and family fall outs due to Catholics marrying out of their denominations is crazy. Granted it would've been 'Old Liverpool' as my MIL calls it and things have probably changed but the stories of fights at weddings and non-Catholics being banned from their own siblings funerals were pretty virulent.

Got nothing to do with the FA chairman fallout really but mentions of scouse catholics always remind me of her mental secretarian stories.

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 208
21 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › F A Chairman

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.