Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › F A Chairman
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Teesknees and 25 Guests

F A Chairman

This thread currently has 19,525 views. Print
21 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... All Recommend Thread
IlkleyMariner
November 10, 2020, 6:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,978
Gold Stars: 69
Greg Clarke, chair of FA resigns because he referred to black players as coloured.

He may not have been the best leader of the FA we have ever had, but this is political correctness gone mad

Don’t think he’s a racist, nor am I but where will this nonsense end?
Logged Offline
Private Message
GollyGTFC
November 10, 2020, 6:39pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,973
Gold Stars: 356
I don’t agree. I do think sometimes too much is placed on what is said rather than what is meant, but in the current climate especially his position was completely untenable.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1 - 208
moosey_club
November 10, 2020, 6:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,206
Gold Stars: 224
He is the leader of the organisation that started/ gave the game to the world.......not some bloke down the pub......he should be leading the football world in the right manner, right language, appropriate comments.....not dragging it backwards. Using the language he did just shows why the FA campaigns dont work....the leaders just dont understand.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 208
forza ivano
November 10, 2020, 6:43pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
As john barnes has pointed out ,the whole thing is a sideshow and what's happened as a result is that the big questions the football authorities were facing have been completely ignored
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 10, 2020, 6:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Quoted from IlkleyMariner
Greg Clarke, chair of FA resigns because he referred to black players as coloured.

He may not have been the best leader of the FA we have ever had, but this is political correctness gone mad

The man is a fool. Surely someone who has risen to be FA Chairman should have realised that you may think what you like but these days you must be more circumspect than ever in how you express those thoughts. That is why he really needed to go, His words showed he did not understand what was required. Simply,  he was not good enough.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 208
dicko995
November 10, 2020, 7:14pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: -259
Gold Stars: 21
my g,kids say they cant say blackboard now, its a chalkboard. I reckon they should bring out the jam jars again with our favourite gollywog collections, i for one would save for my badges, fk em.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 10, 2020, 7:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,652
Gold Stars: 234
When did we have to change from saying "people of colour" which is now frowned upon, and "black" which is now acceptable? Politics aside, surely "people of colour" is more inclusive than just "black."

Isn't it more important to judge people like the FA chairman from his actions rather than his words, which may or may not be currently acceptable?
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 208
Gaffer58
November 10, 2020, 7:27pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
So is everybody from Europe a white (hope that is the correct term) person, you have the Northern Europeans more naturally white but those from Southern Europe are not as white, I understand to some people how I’ve written this is terrible but hey, we all haven’t had a university education, but the point I’m trying to make is that will whites/ Caucasians soon start insisting in different titles.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 208
Rick12
November 10, 2020, 7:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from IlkleyMariner

Being a big naturalist there's a degree of truth to that. Your probably aware the colour of ones skin "coloured" is an evolutionary adaptation to nature that protected humans from the sun and isnt offensive if used in the right context eg discussing how nature forces species to evolve based on environmental conditioning . Some people used that wrongly to subjugate people on the colour of their skin .

Likewise we all originated from Africa and environment has shaped us all physically to some degree or another. Black/Indian people have dark skin to protect themselves from the sun. Similarly  evolutionary theory's suggest Chinese people have slitty eyes to protect them from the harshness of the cold/wind.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 208
headingly_mariner
November 10, 2020, 7:57pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Gold Stars: 113
He didn’t just use the out of touch term “coloured”, he also made discriminatory comments about South East Asians, Caribbean’s, female footballers and he said being gay was a lifestyle choice.  

He’s the Chairman of the FA not some moron down the pub.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 208
Henryscat
November 10, 2020, 7:58pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.23
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,395
Quoted from dicko995
my g,kids say they cant say blackboard now, its a chalkboard. I reckon they should bring out the jam jars again with our favourite gollywog collections, i for one would save for my badges, fk em.

Not one to cast aspersions on you or your grandkids but it’s a very very old fashioned school that uses a blackboard and chalk nowadays. Most use electronic whiteboards which they call whiteboards because they’re white.

Oh and they still sing baa baa black sheep regardless of what you’ve heard.

Panic on the streets of Carlisle, Dublin, Dundee, Humberside
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 208
pen penfras
November 10, 2020, 8:00pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
It's not just the coloured statement. He managed to imply asians are better on computers and women don't like balls coming at them quickly.

Take just the coloured word alone and his Americanism defence is ok. Add them all together and he just sounds like a dinosaur. Even if all of those things could be potentially considered true, it doesn't make them ok to say
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 208
Henryscat
November 10, 2020, 8:01pm
Fine Wine Drinker
When did we have to change from saying "people of colour" which is now frowned upon, and "black" which is now acceptable? Politics aside, surely "people of colour" is more inclusive than just "black."

Isn't it more important to judge people like the FA chairman from his actions rather than his words, which may or may not be currently acceptable?

I’m not 100% sure but I think that “person of colour” is acceptable yet “coloured” isn’t. I don’t know why but I do know that I’m my profession (medical) we no longer refer to “diabetics” or “asthmatics” but “patients with diabetes” etc I’m assuming this is for similar reasons but have never had it explained to me.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 10, 2020, 8:09pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Henryscat

I’m not 100% sure but I think that “person of colour” is acceptable yet “coloured” isn’t. I don’t know why but I do know that I’m my profession (medical) we no longer refer to “diabetics” or “asthmatics” but “patients with diabetes” etc I’m assuming this is for similar reasons but have never had it explained to me.

Thanks for that. I will herewith ask the wife to address me as a "person with asthma."

Its all just a load of old cobblers, or people who cobble.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 10, 2020, 8:10pm
Special Brew Drinker

It should be like that but if I said it publicly I would have to resign!

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 208
friskneymariner
November 10, 2020, 8:21pm

Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,157
Gold Stars: 38
Makes you wonder why people like that get appointed in first place.In my experience it is like appointing like.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 208
Henryscat
November 10, 2020, 8:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker

Thanks for that. I will herewith ask the wife to address me as a "person with asthma."

Its all just a load of old cobblers, or people who cobble.

Northampton fans?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 208
ginnywings
November 10, 2020, 8:23pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Just another old duffer who is totally out of touch, pretty much like most of the FA. It akin to a gentleman's club.

Someone in his position should be more clued up.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 10, 2020, 8:31pm
Whiskey Drinker

It should be like that but if I said it publicly I would have to resign!

All this crap makes me sick! Nothing seems to matter apart from being able to parrot the current acceptable language.

He should have just gone in there, said very little and just kept to a prepared script of the right words to use and all would be well. In fact had he read out a long list of approved words on their own he would probably have been ok!

None of what he was grilled on will now get an airing; all the talk will be whether coloured or black is the correct term to use today. At some not too distant point in the future the words he should have used today won't be fashionable any more. In actual fact he was being supportive of the players concerned but of course that has been obliterated by his use of the "incorrect" term.
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 208
moosey_club
November 10, 2020, 9:32pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,206
Gold Stars: 224
Quoted from pen penfras
It's not just the coloured statement. He managed to imply asians are better on computers and women don't like balls coming at them quickly.

Take just the coloured word alone and his Americanism defence is ok. Add them all together and he just sounds like a dinosaur. Even if all of those things could be potentially considered true, it doesn't make them ok to say

Giggles...

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 208
fishboyUTM
November 10, 2020, 9:40pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,070
Gold Stars: 40
Quoted from GollyGTFC
I don’t agree. I do think sometimes too much is placed on what is said rather than what is meant, but in the current climate especially his position was completely untenable.

No it wasn't. The poor bloke loses his career over calling a black player (am I allowed to say that?) coloured? What a load of absolute crap. He also mentioned something about asian people being under represented as they tend to make different career choices (true), and mentioned female goalkeeping isn't of the highest standard (it's crap, anyone can see this) because in general girls don't like the ball being whacked at their head at 100mph (very true I suspect).

I'm sick of this world, it's pathetic. Sky Sports News who are a bunch of virtue signalling arseholes nowadays called black players BAME (a new term, load of shite). The bloke meant no offence at all, even if he had used the wrong word, an apology would surely have sufficed.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 208
golfer
November 10, 2020, 9:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
Who decides what are the correct words anyway - and who gives them the right to decide ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 208
promotion plaice
November 10, 2020, 10:12pm

Posts Per Day: 3.85
Rep Score: +20 / -13
Approval: +16,996
Gold Stars: 193

I haven't got a racist bone in my body but I think this taking the knee thing has run it's course now, fair play to them for doing it though..

When Leeds trainer Les Cocker was once told Norman Hunter had broken a leg, he asked: “Whose is it?”
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 208
arryarryarry
November 10, 2020, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +10,041
Gold Stars: 116
It might be my eyes, they aren't the best, but from where I am standing most so called black people are actually brown
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 208
aldi_01
November 10, 2020, 10:41pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.03
Rep Score: +54 / -20
Approval: +5,679
Gold Stars: 473
Shows once again how out of touch and arrogant people like him can be.

One of the country’s most famous  and recognisable organisations, under scrutiny and he clearly took zero advice from communications experts or did but chose to ignore it.

He can argue his comments link to Americanisms and so forth but his other comments were arguably more offensive and out of touch.

Whether people like it or not, if you make those comments regardless of mistake, ignorance or whatever, you will face a consequence which is entirely understandable. He knew that yet still said those things...

'the poor and the needy are selfish and greedy'...well done Mozza
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 208
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
November 10, 2020, 11:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,805
Gold Stars: 552
Organisations like the FA and BBC will have access to every available diversity training course.

Clarke had either not attended the courses or not been paying attention.

He’s not your average 62 year old who has just been ambushed on Freeman St by a journalist. He is supposed to represent a diverse association with a long standing image problem with regard to ethnicity, gender and inclusion.

You might not like it. You might not agree with it. But just for his stupidity, arrogance and naivety he had to resign.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 208
KingstonMariner
November 11, 2020, 1:00am
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quite apart from the fact his remarks were offensive*, it shows he just doesn’t care enough about people to have made the effort to change. He’ll have had plenty of opportunities to learn by now being in such a high profile role. If he doesn’t have enough care in these matters, he won’t have a care for what anyone else thinks (including all of us and our interests in the game). Sloppy. Just sloppy.

* if you don’t think “coloured” is offensive, then do people who are not “coloured” have transparent skin FFS?

As for questions like “when was it decided that ‘coloured’ was not an acceptable term to use for black people?” Well I became aware it wasn’t in the 1970s (in Cleethorpes), so people have had plenty of time to get used to the idea.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 208
Boris Johnson
November 11, 2020, 3:23am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +2 / -15
Approval: -2,797
Gold Stars: 4
Not bothered what he said, glad he's gone though. excrement at his job.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 208
Gaffer58
November 11, 2020, 8:01am
Brandy Drinker
Did anyone else notice that when the referee whistled to begin the game between Everton and Man U at the weekend as 21 players took the knee Antony Martial of Man U had forgotten what the “ correct” procedure is and raced into the Everton half to begin the attack, he must have gone about 10 yards before he realised his mistake,quickly ran back to his starting position and took the knee, looking very sheepish. No comment made by the commentators, but just imagine if that had been a “white” player, he would have been castigated.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 208
golfer
November 11, 2020, 8:07am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry
It might be my eyes, they aren't the best, but from where I am standing most so called black people are actually brown

That is disgustingly racist and you should be flogged until Town score a goal from open play. Shame on you

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 208
IlkleyMariner
November 11, 2020, 8:37am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from golfer

That is disgustingly racist and you should be flogged until Town score a goal from open play. Shame on you

That’s a heck of a long wait for anyone and clearly prejudiced against Town fans.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 208
golfer
November 11, 2020, 9:00am
Vodka Drinker
If i wonder who will replace him will that be racist or sexist. If I say it will that be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 208
ska face
November 11, 2020, 9:05am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,567
Gold Stars: 839
Another innocent victim of the WOKE AGENDA and the cultural Marxists! Disgraceful treatment of a man who’s done so much good for the game.

How’s everyone’s blood pressure this morning?
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 208
November 11, 2020, 9:58am
Guest User
The word coloured to allude to describe a non white is an insult. It has its roots in apartheid Fossils on here should get their heads out of the sand and understand its not politically correct. IT'S JUST CORRECT. BLM.
Reply: 33 - 208
November 11, 2020, 10:16am
Guest User
Quoted from arryarryarry

What a genius you are. That is a racist comment. It's no different than using coloured.
Reply: 34 - 208
November 11, 2020, 10:23am
Guest User
Quoted from golfer
Who decides what are the correct words anyway - and who gives them the right to decide ?

Now that's not an intelligent comment is it.
Reply: 35 - 208
Sir Matt Tease
November 11, 2020, 12:12pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +279
When will this PC madness end. Every day, it seems, someone else falls foul of the New Censors. They are accused of either offending the diktats of political correctness or are deemed guilty of so-called cultural appropriation (the act of using things from another culture).
Among the most dangerous New Censors are those found in universities — not only politically over-sensitive students but lecturers wedded to this Left-wing ideology. This is another examples of how political correctness has become an obsession in many sections of the metropolitan, Liberal Left. A self-appointed priesthood now ruthlessly polices language and behaviour for any signs of heresy that their diktats state are unacceptable. They have established a code of conduct against ‘crimes’ such as so-called ‘micro-aggressions’ — ‘brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioural and environmental indignities’ that are said to communicate hostility.
But far from promoting a tolerant society — which is their proclaimed aim — this bullying brand of identity politics simply creates friction between people, as well as discord and suspicion. Crucially, it silences debate — and free speech is undermined and common sense lost. I for one was no fan of this man however if everybody who fails to use the correct terminology is forced to resign our jobless figures in this country will increase exponentially.
By the way, I am from today identifying as female and wish to be addressed as Mrs Tease !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 208
Rick12
November 11, 2020, 12:33pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sir Matt Tease
When will this PC madness end. Every day, it seems, someone else falls foul of the New Censors. They are accused of either offending the diktats of political correctness or are deemed guilty of so-called cultural appropriation (the act of using things from another culture).

Well said .The irony of all of this is early humans were all  originally coloured stemming from the rift valley in East Africa. Its only once we started shifting from the mother continent that differing skin tones started to manifest themselves and paler complexions started to occur .

Its why sometimes you have to turn from man to nature for answers. At least there we see  how things once were before man came and damaged the delicate balance of the ecosystem.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 208
TAGG
November 11, 2020, 12:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124

Well said lew

The FA bloke must be a racist because he's a straight white male (according to the left wing Liberal fuckwits)

Its flipping lucky that the left wing mob didn't hear Ollies post match comment last night because BP would have been burnt down and Ollie would have been sent to the re-education camp.

I have just had Cypress Hill blasting out in me car, I'm so lucky I didn't pass a copper.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 208
Ipswin
November 11, 2020, 12:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from 140067
The word coloured to allude to describe a non white is an insult. It has its roots in apartheid Fossils on here should get their heads out of the sand and understand its not politically correct. IT'S JUST CORRECT. BLM.

What term then can be used for a non-white person who does not want to be termed 'black' ?

As someone else observed, not all 'non white' people are black and surely describing them all under the 'black' heading can be as insulting to some as using the term the FA bloke has been pilloried for?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 208
pen penfras
November 11, 2020, 12:55pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.67
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -128
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from Rick12
Well said .The irony of all of this is early humans were all  originally coloured stemming from the rift valley in East Africa. Its only once we started shifting from the mother continent that differing skin tones started to manifest themselves and paler complexions started to occur .

Its why sometimes you have to turn from man to nature for answers. At least there we see things how things once were before man came and damaged the delicate balance of the ecosystem.

None of that is really relevant to the point of what is and isn't socially acceptable. Is calling somebody "coloured" racist? I don't really see how, it's just a word. But then the "N" word is just a word, and we all know that is wrong.

Is referring to South Asians wanting to do jobs with computers racist? Sort of, it's certainly stereotyping them.

Is saying that women don't like the ball being kicked at them hard? Again, it's stereotyping them.

I'm sure most people on here would disagree with being called a rich white man if they went on holiday to the Caribbean. And although it's not inherently offensive, many people that they would place in that category would feel that they really aren't very well off at all when back home.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 11, 2020, 1:08pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner
Quite apart from the fact his remarks were offensive*, it shows he just doesn’t care enough about people to have made the effort to change. He’ll have had plenty of opportunities to learn by now being in such a high profile role. If he doesn’t have enough care in these matters, he won’t have a care for what anyone else thinks (including all of us and our interests in the game). Sloppy. Just sloppy.

* if you don’t think “coloured” is offensive, then do people who are not “coloured” have transparent skin FFS?

As for questions like “when was it decided that ‘coloured’ was not an acceptable term to use for black people?” Well I became aware it wasn’t in the 1970s (in Cleethorpes), so people have had plenty of time to get used to the idea.

In any sane world what is offensive about what he said? I say again he was supporting ethnic minority players. Isn't that enough for you? Does he really have to conform to the current vocabulary or else you can put him down as not caring, or racist or anything else you might like to label him?

One day perhaps you will use the "incorrect" term; perhaps when you get a bit older and your mind is not as agile as it once was. In years to come you might use BAME as the correct term only for some frothing at the mouth lefty to berate you 'cos we used that term years ago. Would you think of yourself as racist, or uncaring because you used the wrong word?

I don't know anything about Greg Clarke. He might be the most wonderful person imaginable. He might do a lot of charity work and he may have done more to include minorities in the sport, but nothing matters because he used the wrong word. Its pathetic.  
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 11, 2020, 1:11pm
Whiskey Drinker
Among the most dangerous New Censors are those found in universities — not only politically over-sensitive students but lecturers wedded to this Left-wing ideology. This is another examples of how political correctness has become an obsession in many sections of the metropolitan, Liberal Left. A self-appointed priesthood now ruthlessly polices language and behaviour for any signs of heresy that their diktats state are unacceptable. They have established a code of conduct against ‘crimes’ such as so-called ‘micro-aggressions’ — ‘brief and commonplace daily verbal, behavioural and environmental indignities’ that are said to communicate hostility.
But far from promoting a tolerant society — which is their proclaimed aim — this bullying brand of identity politics simply creates friction between people, as well as discord and suspicion. Crucially, it silences debate — and free speech is undermined and common sense lost. I for one was no fan of this man however if everybody who fails to use the correct terminology is forced to resign our jobless figures in this country will increase exponentially.
By the way, I am from today identifying as female and wish to be addressed as Mrs Tease !

Well said. It's all a nonsense, or a load of old balderdash as I prefer to call it.
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 208
Rick12
November 11, 2020, 1:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

None of that is really relevant to the point of what is and isn't socially acceptable. Is calling somebody "coloured" racist? I don't really see how, it's just a word. But then the "N" word is just a word, and we all know that is wrong.

Is referring to South Asians wanting to do jobs with computers racist? Sort of, it's certainly stereotyping them.

Is saying that women don't like the ball being kicked at them hard? Again, it's stereotyping them.

I'm sure most people on here would disagree with being called a rich white man if they went on holiday to the Caribbean. And although it's not inherently offensive, many people that they would place in that category would feel that they really aren't very well off at all when back home.
Yes you cant stereotype as we are all unique people in our own right and should be judged on that .

Ive got a bit of Latin in me and it annoys me when you keep getting some who ignore most of my English roots and just pick up on the small part of me that is Latin and keep  "tarring me with Latin stereotypes " . Crikey even the Queen of England has Spanish, German blood in her  to name but a few.

Going deeper I suppose what experience has taught me in life  without getting too personal is you cant trust noone fully and I have been let down by doctors/teachers in the past. Its sometimes painful and it gravitates you to go further to ask why there is so much injustice in the world. For me Ive found the answers lies in nature.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 208
Manchester Mariner
November 11, 2020, 1:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Who could've predicted so many tears being shed for Greg Clarke on the Fishy today?

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 208
Rodley Mariner
November 11, 2020, 1:48pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
Heart breaks that some middle aged and old white men on the Fishy can no longer thoughtlessly say what they want without being pulled up on it. Puts the struggles of others around the world into some context.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 208
TAGG
November 11, 2020, 2:14pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner
Heart breaks that some middle aged and old white men on the Fishy can no longer thoughtlessly say what they want without being pulled up on it. Puts the struggles of others around the world into some context.

White straight men are the bottom of the group hierarchy especially those over 40 who have not got a university education (i use that word very loosely)

There is a lot of racism and devision in this country now because of neo Marxist groups like BLM and facist mobs like antifa who emply exactly the same tactics of intimidation and violence as the Brown Shirts from 1936 onward.

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 208
Ipswin
November 11, 2020, 2:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rick12
Yes you cant stereotype as we are all unique people in our own right and should be judged on that .

Ive got a bit of Latin in me and it annoys me when you keep getting some who ignore most of my English roots and just pick up on the small part of me that is Latin and keep  "tarring me with Latin stereotypes " . Crikey even the Queen of England has Spanish, German blood in her  to name but a few.

Yours is a classic example Rick of how similar folk can react quite differently

You get annoyed with people picking up on on your 'Latin' heritage, fair enough, but there are those who would be so proud of it that they would be drunk off if people didn't make mention of it

There are certainly as many black people who want to be constantly recognised as black as there are those who scream racism every time their colour (sorry but there is no other way of saying it) black is, as they see it, unnecessarily mentioned

Private Message
Reply: 47 - 208
Rick12
November 11, 2020, 2:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Yours is a classic example Rick of how similar folk can react quite differently

You get annoyed with people picking up on on your 'Latin' heritage, fair enough, but there are those who would be so proud of it that they would be drunk off if people didn't make mention of it

There are certainly as many black people who want to be constantly recognised as black as there are those who scream racism every time their colour (sorry but there is no other way of saying it) black is, as they see it, unnecessarily mentioned

Yes Ipswin I suppose its the way its said. Similar to how people you meet in life are . I always judge people on how they are .I get the impression that  a lot of right wingers on here are nice enough as are some on  the left.

Thats the only issue with talking behind a keyboard on the fishy .People can portray a certain agenda/persona  but in real life when your with them  face to face its a different ball game.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 208
ska face
November 11, 2020, 2:36pm

Vodka Drinker
Greg Clarke, forced to resign by...antifa and university lecturers is it?

That’s it, his career over, and at the tender age of 62 with only a £190,000 a year position as Vice President of FIFA to fall back on.

The radical left will stop at nothing in their pursuit of fully automated luxury gay space communism. I hear Owen Jones is now being touted as the next Chairman of the FA? Disgusting if true.  
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 208
Sir Matt Tease
November 11, 2020, 2:44pm
Snakebite drinker

This post perfectly sums up the problems with today's PC warriors.
I find it offensive to old white men and suggest you offer a grovelling apology or risk being cancelled from the site or even worse forced to resign from your place of employment !
The issue with you Left-wing Liberal types is that we are forced to abide by the laws of the word police whilst you are able to say anything you like without fear of retribution, and herein lies the problem.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 208
Rodley Mariner
November 11, 2020, 2:58pm
Special Brew Drinker
flipping hell. Calm down snowflake.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 208
Gaffer58
November 11, 2020, 3:06pm
Brandy Drinker
Just to help an old middle class white male what is the correct term for someone from the Indian sub continent?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 11, 2020, 3:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,192
Gold Stars: 291
Quoted from TAGG

White straight men are the bottom of the group hierarchy especially those over 40 who have not got a university education (i use that word very loosely)

There is a lot of racism and devision in this country now because of neo Marxist groups like BLM and facist mobs like antifa who emply exactly the same tactics of intimidation and violence as the Brown Shirts from 1936 onward.

Please supply 3rd party evidence that BLM is a 'neo Marxist group' (and The Daily Mail is not 3rd party evidence)

It is laughable that you describe "antifa" as a "fascist mob". Antifa stands for anti fascist.

Please supply 3rd party evidence of antifa emplying (sic) "exactly the same tactics of intimidation and violence as the Brown Shirts from 1936 onwards"

I think you are confusing German Nazism with the British Union of Fascists under Oswald Mosley. The forerunner of the SS (The SA) in Nazi Germany wore brown shirts until Hitler purged them in The Night Of The Long Knives. The British Union Of Fascists wore black shirts and were known as 'The Black Shirts'. The British Union of Fascists was formed in 1936 but the SA was purged in late June 1934 and stopped wearing brown shirts at that time.

But hey, let's not let a few facts get in the way of a red faced, gammon infused rant about political correctness.

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 208
Sir Matt Tease
November 11, 2020, 4:01pm
Snakebite drinker
flipping hell. Calm down snowflake.

That's a joke right ? I think we all know who the snowflake is in this discussion,

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 208
TAGG
November 11, 2020, 4:04pm

Vodka Drinker

Please supply 3rd party evidence that BLM is a 'neo Marxist group' (and The Daily Mail is not 3rd party evidence)

It is laughable that you describe "antifa" as a "fascist mob". Antifa stands for anti fascist.

Please supply 3rd party evidence of antifa emplying (sic) "exactly the same tactics of intimidation and violence as the Brown Shirts from 1936 onwards"

I think you are confusing German Nazism with the British Union of Fascists under Oswald Mosley. The forerunner of the SS (The SA) in Nazi Germany wore brown shirts until Hitler purged them in The Night Of The Long Knives. The British Union Of Fascists wore black shirts and were known as 'The Black Shirts'. The British Union of Fascists was formed in 1936 but the SA was purged in late June 1934 and stopped wearing brown shirts at that time.

But hey, let's not let a few facts get in the way of a red faced, gammon infused rant about political correctness.

BLM
Read there own mission statement.
Look at the leaders of BLM they are self proclaimed Marxist revolutionise.

Just look at any propaganda film from 1936ish and you will recognise the simplicity in tactics between antifa and the brown shirts.
Violence, intimidation and if you don't give into there doctrine and demands then you are fair game.
Will you denounce antifa????

GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 11, 2020, 4:14pm
Whiskey Drinker

You raise a really good point. With all the worlds problems, why is it do you think people get fixated on the only thing that matters is to use the current (though certainly not permanent)  description as approved by the PC brigade? If the approved description changes next week, where does that leave things?

It has got so ridiculous that if a billionaire philanthropist said I am going to give 20 billion pounds to try to eradicate discrimination in football for "Players of colour" the only talking point would be "OMG he has used a description not approved... "
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 208
friskneymariner
November 11, 2020, 4:31pm

Champagne Drinker
Sure this board is populated by Daily Mail readers.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 208
Rodley Mariner
November 11, 2020, 4:42pm
Special Brew Drinker

You raise a really good point. With all the worlds problems, why is it do you think people get fixated on the only thing that matters is to use the current (though certainly not permanent)  description as approved by the PC brigade? If the approved description changes next week, where does that leave things?

It has got so ridiculous that if a billionaire philanthropist said I am going to give 20 billion pounds to try to eradicate discrimination in football for "Players of colour" the only talking point would be "OMG he has used a description not approved... "

Or to simplify it - a lot of black people find it offensive to be referred to as 'coloured' so don't do it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 208
Rodley Mariner
November 11, 2020, 4:48pm
Special Brew Drinker

That's a joke right ? I think we all know who the snowflake is in this discussion,

Have you read the thread?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 11, 2020, 4:58pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

BLM

Just look at any propaganda film from 1936ish and you will recognise the simplicity in tactics between antifa and the brown shirts.
Violence, intimidation and if you don't give into there doctrine and demands then you are fair game.
Will you denounce antifa????

Antifa is not a single organisation, it does not have leaders and it certainly does not have a mission statement. It is a loose association of different people and groups with a broad focus on opposing right wing actions. The only individuals who can be identified as leaders are people who organise localised demonstrations. It is left leaning because it is inherently anti right wing. It has attracted some anarchist elements because anti fascist demonstrations tend to be anti-government.

Please be more specific about "any propaganda film". Do you mean from Nazi Germany? If you mean British propaganda films from c 1936 you will struggle to find any of them that demonstrate tactics like antifa because they were still focussed on supporting the Empire and promoting the idea that Britain was a civilising influence in the world. The rise of Nazism was not seen as a threat to Britain by the UK government in 1936. It was 2 years before Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler over Czechoslovakia.

Nazi propaganda at the time did not show any violence either, it tended to focus on the racial superiority of the German 'master race' and the achievements of the Nazi government - an example from c1936 (actually 1935) is Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph Of The Will which is a beautifully shot epic highlighting the rise of Nazism and Hitler at the 1934 Nuremburg rally.

Propaganda films have historically shied away from showing violence because it has turned off the majority of people the propaganda is aimed at. ISIS and Islamic State propaganda has bucked this trend in recent years.

The easiest place to find calls to violence re antifa has been from American right wing leaders and groups who have openly called for violent reaction to antifa demonstrations. This has been seen very clearly in the tweets of Donald Trump and other Republican leaders and online messages from right leaning groups.

You haven't supplied 3rd party evidence to support the claims you made in your earlier post.

Please also post a link to antifa's website where I can look at their 'mission statement' and who their leaders are.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 208
Sir Matt Tease
November 11, 2020, 5:13pm
Snakebite drinker

Have you read the thread?

Aren't you due back at school after the half term ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 208
Rodley Mariner
November 11, 2020, 5:28pm
Special Brew Drinker

Aren't you due back at school after the half term ?

I'm a 41 year old father of 3. Great line though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 208
TAGG
November 11, 2020, 5:48pm

Vodka Drinker

Antifa is not a single organisation, it does not have leaders and it certainly does not have a mission statement. It is a loose association of different people and groups with a broad focus on opposing right wing actions. The only individuals who can be identified as leaders are people who organise localised demonstrations. It is left leaning because it is inherently anti right wing. It has attracted some anarchist elements because anti fascist demonstrations tend to be anti-government.

Please be more specific about "any propaganda film". Do you mean from Nazi Germany? If you mean British propaganda films from c 1936 you will struggle to find any of them that demonstrate tactics like antifa because they were still focussed on supporting the Empire and promoting the idea that Britain was a civilising influence in the world. The rise of Nazism was not seen as a threat to Britain by the UK government in 1936. It was 2 years before Chamberlain's appeasement of Hitler over Czechoslovakia.

Nazi propaganda at the time did not show any violence either, it tended to focus on the racial superiority of the German 'master race' and the achievements of the Nazi government - an example from c1936 (actually 1935) is Leni Riefenstahl's Triumph Of The Will which is a beautifully shot epic highlighting the rise of Nazism and Hitler at the 1934 Nuremburg rally.

Propaganda films have historically shied away from showing violence because it has turned off the majority of people the propaganda is aimed at. ISIS and Islamic State propaganda has bucked this trend in recent years.

The easiest place to find calls to violence re antifa has been from American right wing leaders and groups who have openly called for violent reaction to antifa demonstrations. This has been seen very clearly in the tweets of Donald Trump and other Republican leaders and online messages from right leaning groups.

You haven't supplied 3rd party evidence to support the claims you made in your earlier post.

Please also post a link to antifa's website where I can look at their 'mission statement' and who their leaders are.

Where did I say antif had a mission statement or recognised leaders???
Like all you left wing ding bats just carry on blerting excrement to suit your agenda.

Antifa is a  group of violent thugs.
Why don't you denounce them and there violence????

GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 208
TAGG
November 11, 2020, 5:58pm

Vodka Drinker

You may want to read this from my post
BLM

Why won't you denounce antifa violence???

GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 11, 2020, 6:03pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

You may want to read this from my post
BLM

Why won't you denounce antifa violence???

Yes, you're right. I have mixed up BLM and antifa. I apologise.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 11, 2020, 6:08pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

Like all you left wing ding bats just carry on blerting excrement to suit your agenda.

"Like all you left wing dingbats just carry on blerting (sic) excrement to suit your agenda". Everything I've written is fact that can be easily researched, you are giving us the 'benefit' of your opinion. I'd suggest you stop reading certain newspapers and taking your mate's opinions on Facebook as fact.

Again, you still haven't substantiated any claims you have made.

Here's the BLM website to help you: https://blacklivesmatter.com/

Give me a shout if you need any help with the big words.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 208
Henryscat
November 11, 2020, 6:11pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Not aiming this at anyone but as a town of dockers and factory workers should we not be slightly left wing?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 208
Manchester Mariner
November 11, 2020, 6:21pm

Exile
Last week: The FA and Football League needs reforming and the dinosaurs running it replacing.

This week: Not that kind of reform and Greg Clarke has been victimized by the loony left, that poor, poor man.

Private Message
Reply: 68 - 208
Gaffer58
November 11, 2020, 6:26pm
Brandy Drinker
So is Tony Woodley a previous leader of the Unite trade union, a left winger, he had twice refused to accept a peerage but had now decided to accept one and become Baron Woodley.That great Labour politician from across the Humber John Prescott accepted his peerage, funny how socialists, Marxists or whatever left wing agenda they follow can nearly all be bought with a gong eventually.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 208
IlkleyMariner
November 11, 2020, 6:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
So is Tony Woolley, a previous leader of the Unite trade union, a left winger, he had twice refused to accept a peerage but had now decided to accept one and become Baron Woolley. That great Labour politician from across the Humber John Prescott accepted his peerage, funny how socialists, Marxists or whatever left wing agenda they follow can nearly all be bought with a gong eventually.

I am told that the food and drink in the House of Lords is excellent

Also the expenses are rather nice. Don’t know how to spell hip o crit.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 208
TAGG
November 11, 2020, 7:19pm

Vodka Drinker

Yes, you're right. I have mixed up BLM and antifa. I apologise.

Get off the Bong Jeremy

GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 208
codcheeky
November 11, 2020, 7:25pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Quoted from TAGG

My Grandad fought in a War which we commemorate today, my great uncle was wounded in it and suffered after effects so severe he spent the rest of his life in hospital he died in 1994, both fought facism and both were proud to do so.
When you want to call people for standing against fascists you only have look back a short space to see Were appeasement leads.
We should stand against facism at every opportunity, we should all be proud to be Antifa despite demonisation from the far right who do not like the spotlight on them because evil flourished when decent people do nothing
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 208
November 11, 2020, 8:10pm
Guest User
Quoted from friskneymariner
Sure this board is populated by Daily Mail readers.

And a few racist, who will  use PC gone mad to hide behind.
Reply: 73 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 11, 2020, 8:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
So is Tony Woodley a previous leader of the Unite trade union, a left winger, he had twice refused to accept a peerage but had now decided to accept one and become Baron Woodley.That great Labour politician from across the Humber John Prescott accepted his peerage, funny how socialists, Marxists or whatever left wing agenda they follow can nearly all be bought with a gong eventually.

You're absolutely right. And there is no evidence of any type of nepotism, jobs for the boys or old school tie going on in the current government.......

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 208
Rick12
November 11, 2020, 8:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

My Grandad fought in a War which we commemorate today, my great uncle was wounded in it and suffered after effects so severe he spent the rest of his life in hospital he died in 1994, both fought facism and both were proud to do so.
When you want to call people for standing against fascists you only have look back a short space to see Were appeasement leads.
We should stand against facism at every opportunity, we should all be proud to be Antifa despite demonisation from the far right who do not like the spotlight on them because evil flourished when decent people do nothing
Ive had family members as well that have fought for their country  and died for it. Similarly being a big lover of all things military I have huge admiration for anyone who serves their country for the benefit of mankind .The extreme left and extreme right though are both unhealthy viewpoints.  You only have to look at nature for one to realise balance is key to all.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 208
arryarryarry
November 11, 2020, 8:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

Shouldn't we stand against far left as well?
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 11, 2020, 8:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

We are heading into the realms of non-footy here but the attempt to portray society as left and right being good and bad is futile. Look at the Balkans for example. Were the Serbian nationalists fascists? They were supported by the USSR. Croatia was supported by the Nazis. Yet both end up as nationalist and both participate in genocide. The concern I have about organisations like Antifa and BLM is how easily they become a cover for anti-democratic activity.

And then again this sort of simplistic definition does not even begin to cover the religious terrorist. Is he/she left or right? What does that make a Palestinian who is supported by Corbynites? Why is Israel regarded as right wing when it is doing much the same as its enemies? Where do we place the terrorists in Indonesia or Sri Lanka. Were the Rwandan combatants left or right or just Hutu and Tutsi?

I am not aiming directly at you here CC, all I want to do is point out that life is not as simple as waving a banner on the streets. It is democracy we need to defend, not races or parties or factions.

Private Message
Reply: 77 - 208
November 11, 2020, 9:12pm
Guest User
For those who need a little education
Colored or coloured, is an ethnic descriptor historically used in the United States (predominantly during the Jim Crow era) and other European-settled countries and their former colonies. In many of these places, it is now considered an ethnic slur. Historically, the term denoted non-white individuals generally.
The  term has historically had a variety of connotations. In British usage, the term refers to "a person who is wholly or partly of non-white descent" and its use may be regarded as antiquated or offensive, and other terms are preferable, particularly when referring to a single ethnicity.
Reply: 78 - 208
ska face
November 11, 2020, 9:14pm

Vodka Drinker

The concern I have about organisations like Antifa and BLM is how easily they become a cover for anti-democratic activity.

Like what?

I assume you’re opposed to the Covert Human Intelligence Sources Bill then, which gives the Food Standards Agency the power to legally torture people?
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 208
TAGG
November 11, 2020, 9:23pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

They are not anti fascist they are fascism personified.
I condem violence whether it be from the right, left, Islamic or any other religion.
If you or others can't see the tactics they antifa use all black uniforms and masks, disruption of any political meeting or polition and street violence you must be blind or agree with polital and physical violence.

GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 208
friskneymariner
November 11, 2020, 9:29pm

Champagne Drinker
The state welcomes violence it is well equipped and resourced to deal with violence,it is passive resistance and logical argument that terrifies the state.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 208
codcheeky
November 11, 2020, 9:37pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

They are not anti fascist they are fascism personified.
I condem violence whether it be from the right, left, Islamic or any other religion.
If you or others can't see the tactics they antifa use all black uniforms and masks, disruption of any political meeting or polition and street violence you must be blind or agree with polital and physical violence.

https://www.visionofhumanity.org/far-right-attacks-in-the-west-surge-by-320-per-cent/

Antifa are anti fascist, yes the disruption of far right marches is part of their agenda, they are not disrupting nothing , they are standing against fascists marching to promote hate and division
I am not defending the far left or any extremists, however the biggest problem in most western countries in terms of terrorism and murders comes from the far right.
I am sure you will provide data and figures on how many people anti fascists have killed in the same period
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 208
arryarryarry
November 11, 2020, 10:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

https://www.visionofhumanity.org/far-right-attacks-in-the-west-surge-by-320-per-cent/

Antifa are anti fascist, yes the disruption of far right marches is part of their agenda, they are not disrupting nothing , they are standing against fascists marching to promote hate and division
I am not defending the far left or any extremists, however the biggest problem in most western countries in terms of terrorism and murders comes from the far right.
I am sure you will provide data and figures on how many people anti fascists have killed in the same period

Are you going to provide figures to back that up and are you classing terrorists as far right.

I think you will find that for example, in terms of ethnic groups in London, the majority of those killed are black and the majority of suspects are black. So much for black lives matter?
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 208
Sir Matt Tease
November 11, 2020, 11:01pm
Snakebite drinker

I'm a 41 year old father of 3. Great line though.

Thanks, lets not stifle healthy debate...........
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 208
Rick12
November 11, 2020, 11:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 140067
For those who need a little education
Colored or coloured, is an ethnic descriptor historically used in the United States (predominantly during the Jim Crow era) and other European-settled countries and their former colonies. In many of these places, it is now considered an ethnic slur. Historically, the term denoted non-white individuals generally.
The  term has historically had a variety of connotations. In British usage, the term refers to "a person who is wholly or partly of non-white descent" and its use may be regarded as antiquated or offensive, and other terms are preferable, particularly when referring to a single ethnicity.

Appreciate the input but let's not brand words like racism about to some users in previous posts who are slightly aggrieved at someone loosing their job for  using the word coloured . As noted before we were all initially coloured once. I'am actually as well as being a bit Latin also have a  bit of other nationality's in me due to my mum (my dad being English).If someone was to call me coloured in the right context and  yes I do have some slight pigmentation in my skin tone  and not from a mocking or sarcastic ,negative stance  I wouldn't be in the slightest offended.

I sense certain previous posters are decent people and no way would I brand some of their comments as a veil for their racism to hide behind. I think you saying that denotes an aspect of your persona you can work on. Don't judge others without knowing them fully or it just puts you in a negative light.

We all have good and bad in us . Let's all just try to choose the good path which is the strongest and in the long run always beats the bad  and try to work on ourselves  for the better and  help each other out rather than sending out negative vibes which irritate and annoy .

Up the mariners.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 208
ginnywings
November 11, 2020, 11:31pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 208
TAGG
November 11, 2020, 11:38pm

Vodka Drinker

GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 208
Rick12
November 11, 2020, 11:48pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from ginnywings
Thanks for the link but some humans as noted turned the word coloured into something negative which then stuck and became offensive.  Had you been around in humanity's formative years and people were saying this before it was used by some to group humans on the colour of their skin you wouldn't batt an eyelid.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 12, 2020, 9:00am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Are you going to provide figures to back that up and are you classing terrorists as far right.

I think you will find that for example, in terms of ethnic groups in London, the majority of those killed are black and the majority of suspects are black. So much for black lives matter?

But then you have to examine the reasons why and look at many factors. The key problem is that the media and politicians distil crime caused by black people into a message that says 'black people are criminals and killers, they are a threat to our society' (it's actually much clearer in the treatment of Muslims who are all branded as terrorists in some quarters).

And it's patent nonsense, of course not all black people commit crime and not all Muslims support terrorism. Just as all white people are not all saints.

But if there is a higher rate of crime in any clearly identifiable group we have to ask why that is and deal with the cause.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 208
TAGG
November 12, 2020, 9:50am

Vodka Drinker

But then you have to examine the reasons why and look at many factors. The key problem is that the media and politicians distil crime caused by black people into a message that says 'black people are criminals and killers, they are a threat to our society' (it's actually much clearer in the treatment of Muslims who are all branded as terrorists in some quarters).

And it's patent nonsense, of course not all black people commit crime and not all Muslims support terrorism. Just as all white people are not all saints.

But if there is a higher rate of crime in any clearly identifiable group we have to ask why that is and deal with the cause.

You forgot all whites aren't Racist oppressors but you would never think that the way they are portrayed by the woke media and the left wing elite.

GOD
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 208
November 12, 2020, 11:16am
Guest User
Quoted from Rick12

Appreciate the input but let's not brand words like racism about to some users in previous posts who are slightly aggrieved at someone loosing their job for  using the word coloured . As noted before we were all initally coloured once. I'am actually as well as being a bit Latin also a bit Arab due to my mum (my dad being English).If someone was to call me coloured in the right context and  yes I do have some pigmentation in my skin tone  and not from a mocking or sarcastic ,negative stance  I wouldn't be in the slightest offended. Like if Arabs have to wear the headscarfs to protect their coloured skin from the harsh rays of the sun.

I sense certain previous posters are decent people and no way would I brand some of their comments as a veil for their racism to hide behind. I think you saying that denotes an aspect of your personna you can work on. Don't judge others without knowing them fully or it just puts you in a negative light.

We all have good and bad in us . Let's all just try to choose the good path which is the strongest and in the long run always beats the bad  and try to work on ourselves  for the better and  help each other out rather than sending out negative vibes which irritate and annoy .

Up the mariners.

Thank for taking time to read and comment. I'm sorry but I believe there is veiled racism. Until we accept there is still racism we will never change things. It is and always will be my opinion that calling a black person coloured is racist no ifs or buts it's plain racist. If that's part  of my persona I'm happy with it
I'm not an apologist for racists or their racist comments.

Reply: 91 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 12, 2020, 11:25am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from TAGG

You forgot all whites aren't Racist oppressors but you would never think that the way they are portrayed by the woke media and the left wing elite.

I also didn't mention that not "all whites" are sh*t scared of a rebalancing of society, recognising their own racism (conscious or unconscious) and welcoming the fact that it's possible that people who don't look like me or talk like me have something positive to give to Britain.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 208
ska face
November 12, 2020, 11:31am

Vodka Drinker
If one of the main aspects of my job was to give the impression of advancing the interests of marginalised groups, I would just avoid using potentially inappropriate language during a Select Committee hearing. Quite simple really.

If I didn’t want to lose my job over it, I also would not have resigned. Again, very simple concept.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 12, 2020, 11:39am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from ska face
If one of the main aspects of my job was to give the impression of advancing the interests of marginalised groups, I would just avoid using potentially inappropriate language during a Select Committee hearing. Quite simple really.

If I didn’t want to lose my job over it, I also would not have resigned. Again, very simple concept.

Interesting that you use the words "give the impression". Some are suggesting that the FA is full of fine words but actions are a bit thin on the ground. He couldn't even get the fine words correct.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 208
ska face
November 12, 2020, 11:52am

Vodka Drinker

Interesting that you use the words "give the impression". Some are suggesting that the FA is full of fine words but actions are a bit thin on the ground. He couldn't even get the fine words correct.

Yes I think it’s exactly that. We all know what these men in suits on hundreds of thousands of pounds a year are there for, and it’s to apply a veneer of concern or respectability depending on the issue, make a hand-wringing statement every few months and ensure that no real change is affected. Unfortunately, the role also comes with the knowledge that you will be on the chopping block if you allow that mask to slip, which is what has happened here.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 208
Sandford1981
November 12, 2020, 12:08pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from ska face

Yes I think it’s exactly that. We all know what these men in suits on hundreds of thousands of pounds a year are there for, and it’s to apply a veneer of concern or respectability depending on the issue, make a hand-wringing statement every few months and ensure that no real change is affected. Unfortunately, the role also comes with the knowledge that you will be on the chopping block if you allow that mask to slip, which is what has happened here.

Nail on head!

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 12, 2020, 12:44pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ska face

We know what the job is and we know what this incumbent is like. There never was a good match there and in truth he should have realised that himself long before this happened. The job is as much political as sporting these days and you need experience in soft pedal and pussyfooting with some connections in the right places often beyond football. But the top echelons of football have been filled by tradition with football people who simply do not have that experience.

I wonder how people like Arthur Drewery and FA Would would fare in those FIFA and FA  committee rooms nowadays.

Private Message
Reply: 97 - 208
KingstonMariner
November 12, 2020, 12:49pm
Meths Drinker

In any sane world what is offensive about what he said? I say again he was supporting ethnic minority players. Isn't that enough for you? Does he really have to conform to the current vocabulary or else you can put him down as not caring, or racist or anything else you might like to label him?

One day perhaps you will use the "incorrect" term; perhaps when you get a bit older and your mind is not as agile as it once was. In years to come you might use BAME as the correct term only for some frothing at the mouth lefty to berate you 'cos we used that term years ago. Would you think of yourself as racist, or uncaring because you used the wrong word?

I don't know anything about Greg Clarke. He might be the most wonderful person imaginable. He might do a lot of charity work and he may have done more to include minorities in the sport, but nothing matters because he used the wrong word. Its pathetic.  

Look pal. I’m not young. I’m 57. Age is no excuse.

Now if you care to address what I actually said we might have a meaningful debate, but you completely missed the point.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 208
KingstonMariner
November 12, 2020, 12:59pm
Meths Drinker
PS if I use the incorrect term any time, or say something offensive I expect to have that pointed out*. I would hope I have the good sense to learn and move on, not act like a big toddler screaming “it’s not fair. Cant do what I want!”

* and I have made mistakes and I do try to learn.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 208
friskneymariner
November 12, 2020, 1:56pm

Champagne Drinker
Please do not try and argue that this society is not endemically racist when a  newspaper report highlights migrants drowning in the channel attracts 250 smiley faces.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 208
smokey111
November 12, 2020, 2:13pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,355
Gold Stars: 46
Please do not try and argue that this society is not endemically racist when a  newspaper report highlights migrants drowning in the channel attracts 250 smiley faces.  

I tend to agree with your observations on our society, but that example might just be 250 complete f***wits.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 12, 2020, 3:30pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from smokey111

I tend to agree with your observations on our society, but that example might just be 250 complete f***wits.

I agree as well, but 250 people is not really a representative sample of British society. It's still completely disgusting though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 208
November 12, 2020, 3:46pm
Brandy Drinker
My 70 year old parents still use the word ‘coloured’, even after I correct them each time. Their excuse is they are scared to say ‘black’ etc.

Whilst I can understand the confusion, ‘coloured’ has not been an acceptable term in the UK for at least 25 years. That’s half of their adult life.

They watch TV every day. Listen to the radio every day. Read two newspapers every day (admittedly Mail / Express). They won’t have heard or seen the word ‘coloured’ for at least 25 years, apart from the odd occasion, like the episode of The Office when Gareth says his Dad doesn’t understand all the new trendy words, “for instance, he says “darkies”, rather than “coloureds”.”  That must have gone right over my Dad’s head
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 12, 2020, 4:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
They dont need to be "corrected" do they? They don't mean any harm, they are not insulting anyone it is just the term they grew up with.
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 12, 2020, 4:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
My 70 year old parents still use the word ‘coloured’, even after I correct them each time. Their excuse is they are scared to say ‘black’ etc.

[b]Whilst I can understand the confusion, ‘coloured’ has not been an acceptable term in the UK for at least 25 years. That’s half of their adult life. [/b]

They watch TV every day. Listen to the radio every day. Read two newspapers every day (admittedly Mail / Express). They won’t have heard or seen the word ‘coloured’ for at least 25 years, apart from the odd occasion, like the episode of The Office when Gareth says his Dad doesn’t understand all the new trendy words, “for instance, he says “darkies”, rather than “coloureds”.”  That must have gone right over my Dad’s head

Really? I must have been living on a different planet then. Certainly the nasty word was a no-go a long time back but  I am absolutely positive the word coloured has been used on TV and radio news etc in the last 5 years. The censoring of it is much more recent than that.

Private Message
Reply: 105 - 208
Ipswin
November 12, 2020, 4:53pm
Vodka Drinker

Whilst I can understand the confusion, ‘coloured’ has not been an acceptable term in the UK for at least 25 years. That’s half of their adult life.

I'm 69, I read newspapers, spend hours on the internet and watch TV (often at the same time) and it totally escaped me that 'coloured' was no longer acceptable. I was of course aware that the 'n' word, in use when I was a teenager was no longer acceptable (if it ever was) but I had heard of 'a person of colour' which I equated to 'coloured' allowing me to think coloured was acceptable in fact I too didn't like calling people 'black' (not all 'black' people are in my view black in fact some of mixed black / white race may not like it) Then of course we get BAME, what the intercourse is that all about?

Private Message
Reply: 106 - 208
November 12, 2020, 4:54pm
Guest User

I concur 100%
Reply: 107 - 208
November 12, 2020, 4:54pm
Brandy Drinker

Really? I must have been living on a different planet then. Certainly the nasty word was a no-go a long time back but  I am absolutely positive the word coloured has been used on TV and radio news etc in the last 5 years. The censoring of it is much more recent than that.

There is absolutely no chance the word ‘coloured’ has been used by any news organisation in the past 25 years, unless to point out someone still using the word when they shouldn’t be or to be ironic, such as in The Office episode
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 208
November 12, 2020, 4:57pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I'm 69, I read newspapers, spend hours on the internet and watch TV (often at the same time) and it totally escaped me that 'coloured' was no longer acceptable. I was of course aware that the 'n' word, in use when I was a teenager was no longer acceptable (if it ever was) but I had heard of 'a person of colour' which I equated to 'coloured' allowing me to think coloured was acceptable in fact I too didn't like calling people 'black' (not all 'black' people are in my view black in fact some of mixed black / white race may not like it) Then of course we get BAME, what the intercourse is that all about?

You’re 69 though Ipswin. A young buck!!

I do agree it can be a difficult situation. I read yesterday that ethnic minority is much preferred to BAME by members of those communities
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 208
November 12, 2020, 4:59pm
Brandy Drinker
They dont need to be "corrected" do they? They don't mean any harm, they are not insulting anyone it is just the term they grew up with.

If we didn’t progress as a society my Dad would still be whacking off to 25 year old copies of Razzle. He’s moved online for his content but he still calls Zimbabwe, Rhodesia!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 208
Ipswin
November 12, 2020, 5:09pm
Vodka Drinker

You’re 69 though Ipswin. A young buck!!

I do agree it can be a difficult situation. I read yesterday that ethnic minority is much preferred to BAME by members of those communities

A young buck? I wish I was!

As far as the use of the term 'black' is concerned I recall its use many many years ago (at football matches and in other places) but it was often followed by another word beginning with B in an openly racist way.

Ethic minority? Well yes, but there may well be those not happy with being put in that category either

Incidentally whilst it was not the main problem with his statement, I don't see the comment the FA bloke made about Asians being more career minded (or whatever he said) rather than wanting to kick a football around. His observation was 100% accurate IMO

Private Message
Reply: 111 - 208
Ipswin
November 12, 2020, 5:10pm
Vodka Drinker

If we didn’t progress as a society my Dad would still be whacking off to 25 year old copies of Razzle.

He hasn't got any copies he's finished with has he?

Private Message
Reply: 112 - 208
November 12, 2020, 5:11pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

For God's sake 'swin I'm 64 I'm well aware coloured is offensive and have been since the 60's as my aunt lived in Florida, they toilets labelled white and coloured. Buses for white and coloured and drinking fountains for white and coloured. Rosa Parkes was asked to get of the bus because she was coloured. This term was used to describe any one non white and denoted a lower class. Stay with it man and Google BAME. yes all lives matter but DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND THE BLM, its so much more. I went to school with Tony Ford I really didn't realise he was black until he played for Town when there were racist chants aimed at him. He was just our mate Tony.

Reply: 113 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 12, 2020, 5:11pm
Champagne Drinker

We need to be careful with this 'it's the way they were brought up' and 'they don't mean any harm' defence of old people's racism - it's still racism. There was a time when beating your wife was acceptable, sending kids up chimneys was acceptable and it was the way people were brought up.

My parents were brought up with no phone in their houses but they've managed to adapt and facetime me once a week.

The impact of racism is not on the racists, it is on those who are racially abused, whatever that abuse looks like.

(I am making a general point here, not having a go at Knut or his parents).

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 12, 2020, 5:15pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

You're never finished with a copy of Razzle.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 208
November 12, 2020, 5:16pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Page 7 has taken a battering. Page 13 has been embellished by some ripped photos from Mum’s Kays catalogue - the girdle section
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 208
Ipswin
November 12, 2020, 5:17pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 140067

For God's sake 'swin I'm 64 I'm well aware coloured is offensive and have been since the 60's as my aunt lived in Florida, they toilets labelled white and coloured. Buses for white and coloured and drinking fountains for white and coloured. Rosa Parkes was asked to get of the bus because she was coloured. This term was used to describe any one non white and denoted a lower class. Stay with it man and Google BAME. yes all lives matter but DO NOT MISUNDERSTAND THE BLM, its so much more. I went to school with Tony Ford I really didn't realise he was black until he played for Town when there were racist chants aimed at him. He was just our mate Tony.

Well clearly you are a clever girl private and are you now saying that any non-white is black?

Private Message
Reply: 117 - 208
Ipswin
November 12, 2020, 5:18pm
Vodka Drinker

You're never finished with a copy of Razzle.

Depends how you were brought up

Private Message
Reply: 118 - 208
Ipswin
November 12, 2020, 5:20pm
Vodka Drinker

Page 7 has taken a battering. Page 13 has been embellished by some ripped photos from Mum’s Kays catalogue - the girdle section

Oh yes! The Kay's catalogue, those corsets with the suspenders attached...

Private Message
Reply: 119 - 208
Northbank Mariner
November 12, 2020, 5:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from Ipswin

He may have but I'll gaurantee all the pages are stuck together!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 208
Meza
November 12, 2020, 5:28pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.83
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,631
Gold Stars: 50
Sometimes ive heard when passing by, others describe something with involves someones colour \ race.  But thats used to describe something.  

personally i have never seen anyone as different regardless of race or colour and im not racist but tackling something like this also needs to start from home.  Like you hear black people rap about other black people but its ok to say the "N" word(in songs and in films), they need to take a look at themselves, to a simple minded fool they could think its ok to call someone names cos they do it to themselves.

If we are being total honest its all pathetic if you ask me (pathetic as in politically correct).  

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 208
ska face
November 12, 2020, 5:47pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Meza

they need to take a look at themselves, to a simple minded fool they could think its ok to call someone names cos they do it to themselves.

Yes, everyone should adjust their behaviour to cater for “simple minded fools”, who need not bother sorting themselves out. Excellent.
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 12, 2020, 5:49pm
Whiskey Drinker

We need to be careful with this 'it's the way they were brought up' and 'they don't mean any harm' defence of old people's racism - it's still racism. There was a time when beating your wife was acceptable, sending kids up chimneys was acceptable and it was the way people were brought up.

My parents were brought up with no phone in their houses but they've managed to adapt and facetime me once a week.

The impact of racism is not on the racists, it is on those who are racially abused, whatever that abuse looks like.

(I am making a general point here, not having a go at Knut or his parents).

It's not racism. It is all about context. Knuts parents don't mean any harm and that should suffice. Further down, Knut makes the point that society has to move on - indeed it does but it doesn't have to involve older people being excrement scared of what they say when they grew up with different descriptions of all sorts of things.Society moves on slowly as new generations take up the reins.
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 208
Gaffer58
November 12, 2020, 6:28pm
Brandy Drinker
As mentioned earlier opposing players who were not white would be chanted at by the pontoon as “ you black bast@@@“ so assuming the fans new the parentage of the particular player are we saying they were already using the correct term 40 odd years ago?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 12, 2020, 6:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from 140067

The same applied in South Africa at the time. People were labeled and there were notices with those labels on them. There were laws in SA with those words. But the point was that we all knew the words themselves were innocent, it was the way the words were used and the people using them in that manner that were racist. Now the words themselves are considered racist when used  in almost any context. Before long will a child be allowed to say they have coloured in a picture?

Private Message
Reply: 125 - 208
Ipswin
November 12, 2020, 6:52pm
Vodka Drinker
''This term was used to describe any one non white''

I ask again, if we now have to use the word 'black' where we used to use the word 'coloured' (which apparently meant anyone who was not white) does that now mean therefore that anyone not white is now black?

Are those previously known as 'Cape coloureds' (like Basil D'olivera) now blacks? Many will not like that as S African 'blacks' are not to be confused with those termed 'Cape coloured' whose origins are Indian / Asian / white

Just trying to simply illustrate many will not like being called black anymore than they liked 'coloured'

Personally I'll fall into line with whatever is PC this week (frankly I don't normally mention or discuss race / colour / creed at all on a daily basis, its not something that particularly affects my life or bothers me) but please don't criticise me for the terms I grew up with in the 1950', 60s and 70s or for the fact that I appear not to be 'up to date' terminologywise

Private Message
Reply: 126 - 208
forza ivano
November 12, 2020, 7:19pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265

It's not racism. It is all about context. Knuts parents don't mean any harm and that should suffice. Further down, Knut makes the point that society has to move on - indeed it does but it doesn't have to involve older people being excrement scared of what they say when they grew up with different descriptions of all sorts of things.Society moves on slowly as new generations take up the reins.

So by your reckoning it's perfectly acceptable for old people to call people coons, wogs,,black people, spastics, pak_is, bum boys etcetc coz that's the words they used 50 years ago?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 208
Ipswin
November 12, 2020, 7:25pm
Vodka Drinker
Talking of context, I distinctly recall calling someome a 'black illegitimate' It was very much in a total panic rather than racist context

He was at least a foot taller than me, twenty years younger and was resisting arrest at the time. I recall prefacing the words with 'will you keep still you'

Private Message
Reply: 128 - 208
Ipswin
November 12, 2020, 7:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

So by your reckoning it's perfectly acceptable for old people to call people coons, wogs,,black people, spastics, pak_is, bum boys etcetc coz that's the words they used 50 years ago?

No of course it isn't but surely it's far more important to ensure the kids and young people don't grow up using those terms than it is trying to change the vocabulary of older folk who probably don't use them often anyway

Private Message
Reply: 129 - 208
Supersixty
November 12, 2020, 7:35pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +33
I watched a few episodes of Minder the other night, got it  24/7 on my firestick, Arthur mentioned "spades" is that still Ok ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 208
November 12, 2020, 7:53pm
Guest User
Quoted from Supersixty
I watched a few episodes of Minder the other night, got it  24/7 on my firestick, Arthur mentioned "spades" is that still Ok ?

You racist idiot.
Reply: 131 - 208
November 12, 2020, 7:56pm
Guest User
Oh my word there really are some deep seated racist on here shame on you, you are a blight to our great club.
Reply: 132 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 12, 2020, 9:02pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

I am very supportive of older people who for a variety of reasons cannot or will not conform to new societal niceties which for one reason or another passed them by.

Lots and lots of things are generational, including language and the witch hunt against anybody who does not get on board will never curry favour with me.

Private Message
Reply: 133 - 208
Gaffer58
November 12, 2020, 10:00pm
Brandy Drinker
Starting to wonder who the minority are in this country nowadays, just watch tv adverts and, it seems every advert now has a larger proportion of bames then the actual population. Study’s are starting to come out where white working class children are now the disadvantaged, in 50 years time it will be “ white lives matter” that will be all over. Basically what I’m trying to say and would assume quite a few on here would agree with is that for being born white we are all racist and must feel guilty of what previous generations have done.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 208
ska face
November 12, 2020, 10:20pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
Starting to wonder who the minority are in this country nowadays.

https://www.ethnicity-facts-fi.....and-and-wales/latest

Well, that’s that. Anything else you can’t google?
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 208
Vance Warner
November 12, 2020, 10:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +19 / -5
Approval: +2,778
Gold Stars: 101
Never ceases to amaze me the number of people who jump on threads like these. Anyone could do a quick bit of research and find out why his comments he made were unacceptable but too many here would rather bask in their ignorance and pretend to be the real victims. Bizarre
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 208
Rodley Mariner
November 12, 2020, 10:41pm
Special Brew Drinker
Yeah but what about all the imaginary pensioners being chastised because they've raised money for BAME groups but innocently used the wrong terminology? People like Lew Chaterley's Lover just want to defend these made up people from his made up accusations.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 208
aldi_01
November 13, 2020, 6:00am

Barley Wine Drinker
Let’s face it, aside from his comments about BAME, his homophobic and sexist comments weren’t exactly positive either.

This is just another blunder by the people who officially run the game in this country.

As has been said countless times, his comments are indefensible, try as you might and whatever flimsy excuse or justification you want to use, they’re comments that have rightly cost him his job. Justifying it because he’s some old illegitimate (this is partly the issue with the FA in the first place) and he comes from a different time isn’t even worth presenting to anyone. He’s the top man within an organisation that is known around the world.

There will have been countless hours of diversity training, media training and the likes and all of it ignored, publicly. In that case he has to go. It happens in any job, he has brought the FA in to disrepute and ignored policy and procedure. Even if he wasn’t in the public eye he’d have, or should have been removed...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2020, 8:55am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
Starting to wonder who the minority are in this country nowadays, just watch tv adverts and, it seems every advert now has a larger proportion of bames then the actual population. Study’s are starting to come out where white working class children are now the disadvantaged, in 50 years time it will be “ white lives matter” that will be all over. Basically what I’m trying to say and would assume quite a few on here would agree with is that for being born white we are all racist and must feel guilty of what previous generations have done.

The sound of a white person reacting to change that they don't like.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2020, 8:56am
Champagne Drinker

Completely disagree. It's racism.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 140 - 208
Rick12
November 13, 2020, 8:58am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 140067

Thank for taking time to read and comment. I'm sorry but I believe there is veiled racism. Until we accept there is still racism we will never change things. It is and always will be my opinion that calling a black person coloured is racist no ifs or buts it's plain racist. If that's part  of my persona I'm happy with it
I'm not an apologist for racists or their racist comments

Its accepting facts though and trying to look at things from a balanced perspective without being completely shaped by those in the media/scientists etc. No person is perfect and has all the answers to life mystery's .

All life forms came from a single energy explosion which created the ever expanding  universe as we know today.

As evolution took shape  animals adapted to environment with humans being the ultimate and continuing expression of that. Humans at their essence are just animals with a consciousness .

Once we started to dominate the planet environment shaped us all genetically.

The key is and this is what racism ultimately means is to not ascribe negative labels to each sub group that occupy each part of planet earth. We are all a unique manifested energy form coming from that singular  energy release  that started everything.

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 141 - 208
November 13, 2020, 9:05am
Guest User

The sound of a white person reacting to change that they don't like.....

Well said.
Reply: 142 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 13, 2020, 10:20am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58

Coincidentally it is exactly what Harry Styles said on the back cover of the BLM website. It is also almost exactly what our intellectual Prince Harry has been saying about his life since he married and decreased his IQ.

I am very ‘umble and accept I am thick when it comes to sorting out who is being racist to who but is this not a racist remark?

The CPS uses the following definition and comments such as those from Mr Styles and PH seem to fit.

"Any incident/crime which is perceived by the victim or any other person to be motivated by hostility or prejudice based on a person's race or perceived race"

Private Message
Reply: 143 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 11:17am

Champagne Drinker
As a racist awareness  trainer I can give a little insight into the thinking.The basic premise is that we as we all grew up and exist in a racist society we are subject to racist influences everyday. If you read any book by Enid Blyton I think you will be shocked int he present day context.
I always conducted my courses with the view that we had to reflect on our values and identify our own racist beliefs and attitudes.In saying that I believed those who displayed racist views unintentionally  should be able to explore why they held these beliefs in an non threatening environment.
However if their views were so  ingrained or entrenched they would be referred for further intervention,but the emphasis should be on reflection and self change,I shudder at some of the attitudes I held 40 years ago growing up in a small rural village,but I had the good fortune to experience some very good anti-discriminatory training.Not everybody has that opportunity

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 208
Sandford1981
November 13, 2020, 11:26am
Fine Wine Drinker
[quote=4064]As a racist awareness  trainer I can give a little insight into the thinking.[\quote]

May want to re-word that! 😉

Private Message
Reply: 145 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 13, 2020, 11:34am
Whiskey Drinker
Yeah but what about all the imaginary pensioners being chastised because they've raised money for BAME groups but innocently used the wrong terminology? People like Lew Chaterley's Lover just want to defend these made up people from his made up accusations.

I never said anything like that but leaving that aside, I am simply pointing out that there are (probably) millions of older people who quite innocently use expressions that are not acceptable today. It is innocent because they don't mean anything derogatory, it is ingrained in them from living through earlier and very different times.

If you would rather hurl "racist" at them then that is up to you.

Those of you today shouting from the top of your ivory towers will themselves be ridiculed by the young as time marches on. It might not be racism that trips you up, but it will be some aspect of society where your views/comments/actions will be out of step with the acceptable norms of the day.

If peoples intentions are good then that is fair enough by me; using the wrong terminology for the times does not make you racist.
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 11:45am

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981
[quote=4064]As a racist awareness  trainer I can give a little insight into the thinking.[\quote]

May want to re-word that! 😉

No that was my role to make people aware of what racist thinking was.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 208
Sandford1981
November 13, 2020, 11:57am
Fine Wine Drinker
Oh I get that but it reads like you are an awareness trainer who is racist.

Private Message
Reply: 148 - 208
November 13, 2020, 12:20pm
Guest User
Quoted from Sandford1981

No it doesn't. Eats shutes and leaves.
Reply: 149 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 12:26pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

That's because you have no awareness of racism .I am available for a very reasonable rate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 12:27pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from 140067

No it doesn't. Eats shutes and leaves.

Obviously a very erudite poster.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 208
Sandford1981
November 13, 2020, 12:36pm
Fine Wine Drinker

That's because you have no awareness of racism .I am available for a very reasonable rate.

Aside from your apparent lack of humour, you have no idea whatsoever, about my awareness of racism.

Private Message
Reply: 152 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 1:50pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

Aside from your apparent lack of humour, you have no idea whatsoever, about my awareness of racism.

Well forgive me,but not knowing what Racist Awareness is,maybe a clue.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 153 - 208
Sandford1981
November 13, 2020, 2:00pm
Fine Wine Drinker

Well forgive me,but not knowing what Racist Awareness is,maybe a clue.

It was a play on words, it had no connection to my level of awareness, it was an attempt at humour which I’m now seeing was misplaced. My apologies.

While I’m at it though, surely it’s racism awareness trainer?

Private Message
Reply: 154 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 2:14pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

It was a play on words, it had no connection to my level of awareness, it was an attempt at humour which I’m now seeing was misplaced. My apologies.

While I’m at it though, surely it’s racism awareness trainer?

Again you really show you lack of knowledge between racism and racist.Don't like to school you on a public forum but basically ;-

Racism is institutional structural discrimination which may be director or indirect intentional or unintentional.

Racist it behaviour or attitudes of a individual that defines a person attributes by deign of their ethnic origin.

Hence an individual can make racist comments but cannot be guilty,  of racismwhereas an organization or body that has authority over others can be guilty of racism.
Again charge very reasonable rates.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 2:29pm

Champagne Drinker
Avery useful starting point for self enlightenment is Lena Dominelli  Anti-racist Social Work available on Amazon for about £3.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 156 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 13, 2020, 2:33pm
Special Brew Drinker
Avery useful starting point for self enlightenment is Lena Dominelli  Anti-racist Social Work available on Amazon for about £3.

Does it provide a set of scales to weigh the arguments?

Private Message
Reply: 157 - 208
Sandford1981
November 13, 2020, 2:41pm
Fine Wine Drinker

Again you really show you lack of knowledge between racism and racist.Don't like to school you on a public forum but basically ;-

Racism is institutional structural discrimination which may be director or indirect intentional or unintentional.

Racist it behaviour or attitudes of a individual that defines a person attributes by deign of their ethnic origin.

Hence and individual can make racist comments but cannot be guilty,whereas an organization or authority that has authority over others can be guilty of racism.

Respectfully, I disagree, I don’t think I have shown a lack of understanding around racism.

It seems you have made a value judgement about me based on very little evidence and a couple of across purpose messages.

As I’ve said it was a failed attempt at humour and word play and nothing else.

Private Message
Reply: 158 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 2:57pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

Respectfully, I disagree, I don’t think I have shown a lack of understanding around racism.

It seems you have made a value judgement about me based on very little evidence and a couple of across purpose messages.

As I’ve said it was a failed attempt at humour and word play and nothing else.

Wow these are not my own personal views but well established principles of anti -discriminatory practice,you may as well say you believe the world is flat,please do yourself a favour a conduct a little research (there is plenty of literature out there) before you make comments that identify your ignorance.It is not my role to bring you up to speed that is your responsibility, I am not dependent on your approval or approbation,what do I know I've only had 30 years in the field I sure you could school me in the ubject.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 208
Ipswin
November 13, 2020, 3:23pm
Vodka Drinker

She sounds like a pizza stuffing Eytie

Private Message
Reply: 160 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 3:56pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I will have to add a surcharge to your rate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 13, 2020, 4:17pm
Whiskey Drinker

Does it provide a set of scales to weigh the arguments?

Very good.  
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2020, 4:22pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I bet her car only has reverse gears.....

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 163 - 208
November 13, 2020, 4:41pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Dough!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 5:52pm

Champagne Drinker

I bet her car only has reverse gears.....

As you can see my remedial class not making much progress.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 208
BobbyCummingsTackle
November 13, 2020, 6:06pm
Champagne Drinker

As you can see my remedial class not making much progress.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 208
Gaffer58
November 13, 2020, 6:22pm
Brandy Drinker
So these comments regarding this Italian author, are they classed as racist?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 208
Ipswin
November 13, 2020, 6:32pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
So these comments regarding this Italian author, are they classed as racist?

I would expect so

Private Message
Reply: 168 - 208
Gaffer58
November 13, 2020, 6:39pm
Brandy Drinker
So why up to now have none of the racist police come on here calling there comments out, or do the majority of people just see racism as a black thing?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 208
Ipswin
November 13, 2020, 6:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58
So why up to now have none of the racist police come on here calling there comments out, or do the majority of people just see racism as a black thing?

Because they know that's exactly why I posted it (that and the fact that I found the original post patronising) to see the reaction and to show how every comment can be regarded as racist if that's the way people choose to view it

Wait til we get onto the Japs that usually stirs it up (I'll leave out the Jocks and Micks in case we have any in our midst)

Private Message
Reply: 170 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 13, 2020, 7:01pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58

I can see an embryo of a campaign now - all kneel together - "Italian lives matter" spoken in Godfather style.
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 208
Croxton
November 13, 2020, 7:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,011
Gold Stars: 33

I can see an embryo of a campaign now - all kneel together - "Italian lives matter" spoken in Godfather style.

'You will sleep with the Fishies' ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 7:27pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Gaffer58

Because that is exactly what they want,they are like children craving attention,don't give them what they want.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 173 - 208
November 13, 2020, 7:29pm
Guest User
Quoted from Ipswin

Because they know that's exactly why I posted it (that and the fact that I found the original post patronising) to see the reaction and to show how every comment can be regarded as racist if that's the way people choose to view it

Wait til we get onto the Japs that usually stirs it up (I'll leave out the Jocks and Micks in case we have any in our midst)

You are a nasty spiteful old man and a racist apologist to boot. I say go get a life but you've had one and it seems like it wasn't a good one.
Reply: 174 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 7:30pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

You are a very naughty boy.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 175 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 7:32pm

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from 140067

You are a nasty spiteful old man and a racist apologist to boot. I say go get a life but you've had one and it seems like it wasn't a good one.

Don't feed his ego he gets a perverse kick out of winding people up,probably getting excited by your response.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 176 - 208
lew chaterleys lover
November 13, 2020, 8:03pm
Whiskey Drinker

Hence an individual can make racist comments but cannot be guilty,  of racismwhereas an organization or body that has authority over others can be guilty of racism.

Do you run do the sort of courses where nobody wants to go but their company insists so as to tick a box? The sort where everybody forgets about it the day after? The sort where nobody has got the balls to say this is a load of old cobblers?  

Private Message
Reply: 177 - 208
Rick12
November 13, 2020, 8:07pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 140067

He doesnt strike me as all bad .Theres good to us all.

Sometimes you need to get away from all the external influences and just be in nature. Its what healed me from a lot of trauma when young. Hence you see things for what they really are. Brown wolves ,blackbirds, red deer ,green plants . No ifs and buts from other people telling you what isnt and is right to say.Just nature as it was for billions of years before man evolved. We need to live in harmony with that otherwise this planet will be no more .Many scientists are already concerned for one at the impact of human devastation in our short time span we have been here as humans. Thats where the real issue lies and goes above everything else by far .

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 178 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 8:12pm

Champagne Drinker

Do you run do the sort of courses where nobody wants to go but their company insists so as to tick a box? The sort where everybody forgets about it the day after? The sort where nobody has got the balls to say this is a load of old cobblers?  

That's what many say and the beginning but I can assure they are left with a lot to think about when they leave.They are in public sector so been sent by company does not apply. Shouldn't make sweeping assumptions but by the far the most resistant by a mile are highway department workers,they soon come round.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 179 - 208
friskneymariner
November 13, 2020, 8:29pm

Champagne Drinker
I would love to be able to turn the clock back 20 years and get the cynics on here to come to one of my courses to listen to Keith Alexander relate  some of the racists experiences he had encountered,you would all have been very moved I can assure you.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 180 - 208
November 13, 2020, 8:44pm
Brandy Drinker
I would love to be able to turn the clock back 20 years and get the cynics on here to come to one of my courses to listen to Keith Alexander relate  some of the racists experiences he had encountered,you would all have been very moved I can assure you.

I nearly brought up Keith 7 pages ago. He must have put up with so much sh1t. We have moved on. But too slowly
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 181 - 208
Ipswin
November 14, 2020, 6:46am
Vodka Drinker

Don't feed his ego he gets a perverse kick out of winding people up,probably getting excited by your response.

I am simply drunk off because everybody is getting so wound up because someone has used the word 'coloured' instead of black Not everyone is as up to date and painfully PC as the righteous on here claim to be

I am told that coloured is not acceptable because it used to signify 'non white' and I must now call people 'black'. Does that mean everyone who is non white is therefore now black? My light brown Moroccan neighbour will I am sure not like it much - I'll ask him

Private Message
Reply: 182 - 208
aldi_01
November 14, 2020, 7:58am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I am simply drunk off because everybody is getting so wound up because someone has used the word 'coloured' instead of black Not everyone is as up to date and painfully PC as the righteous on here claim to be

I am told that coloured is not acceptable because it used to signify 'non white' and I must now call people 'black'. Does that mean everyone who is non white is therefore now black? My light brown Moroccan neighbour will I am sure not like it much - I'll ask him

Be drunk off all you want but you’re not the top man at an organisation known around the world, with access to the latest commercial, media and diversity training.

There is no excuse...

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 183 - 208
Rodley Mariner
November 14, 2020, 8:09am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Read this thread and again and tell me it's the anti-racists who are getting wound up......In terms of your Moroccan neighbour, why don't you just refer to him by his name or ask him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 184 - 208
Ipswin
November 14, 2020, 8:14am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from aldi_01

Be drunk off all you want but you’re not the top man at an organisation known around the world, with access to the latest commercial, media and diversity training.

There is no excuse...

I am not and never have defended the bloke If it is deemed wrong to use the term he used then of course I accept that. What I object to are the holier than thou brigade criticising older folk who are not aware ad therefore might use what is now a non PC term. I am 100% sure that none of them use the wrong term to be deliberately racist.

Private Message
Reply: 185 - 208
Ipswin
November 14, 2020, 8:22am
Vodka Drinker

Read this thread and again and tell me it's the anti-racists who are getting wound up......In terms of your Moroccan neighbour, why don't you just refer to him by his name or ask him?

It most certainly is, ever since a poster said his elderly parents still used the incorrect term no understanding has been shown to those of us who are not 100% up to date on current thinking (coloured / BAME etc)

As far as my neighbour is concerned of course I address him by name but were I to describe him to an outsider I wouldn't feel comfortable if I said 'that black bloke', to me that is incorrect and I don't feel comfortable using the term. I'm certainly not going to call over the fence today and say 'are you black Mo?'

Not all 'non-whites' are black, that's all.and the term is as incorrect as 'coloured' was.

Private Message
Reply: 186 - 208
Rodley Mariner
November 14, 2020, 8:37am
Special Brew Drinker
If you have to 'describe him to an outsider' why not refer to him as 'my neighbour'? For what it's worth I have some sympathy for elderly people in these situations but less for heads of the FA and people obtusely flipping about on League 2 football forums.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 187 - 208
Ipswin
November 14, 2020, 8:44am
Vodka Drinker
less for people obtusely flipping about on League 2 football forums.

Well that immediately discriminates against 50% of the posters on here for a start!  

Private Message
Reply: 188 - 208
Rodley Mariner
November 14, 2020, 8:45am
Special Brew Drinker
Only 50%?!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 189 - 208
Sandford1981
November 14, 2020, 9:04am
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I suspect you know the answer to your question and once someone gives you it, it will set you off on a rant  as to how that particular term is as unacceptable as ‘coloured’.

Private Message
Reply: 190 - 208
friskneymariner
November 14, 2020, 9:52am

Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

It most certainly is, ever since a poster said his elderly parents still used the incorrect term no understanding has been shown to those of us who are not 100% up to date on current thinking (coloured / BAME etc)

As far as my neighbour is concerned of course I address him by name but were I to describe him to an outsider I wouldn't feel comfortable if I said 'that black bloke', to me that is incorrect and I don't feel comfortable using the term. I'm certainly not going to call over the fence today and say 'are you black Mo?'

Not all 'non-whites' are black, that's all.and the term is as incorrect as 'coloured' was.

Do you describe your other friend  (presuming you have one)as the white bloke' no?perhaps you can see the issue.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 208
Ipswin
November 14, 2020, 12:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

I suspect you know the answer to your question and once someone gives you it, it will set you off on a rant  as to how that particular term is as unacceptable as ‘coloured’.

No, I don't know. To all you PC people who know everything, is he flipping black or not?  No one has put forward an answer  to the question If someone is clearly 'non-white' are they automatically 'black'?

Private Message
Reply: 192 - 208
Sandford1981
November 14, 2020, 12:54pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

No, I don't know. To all you PC people who know everything, is he flipping black or not?  No one has put forward an answer  to the question If someone is clearly 'non-white' are they automatically 'black'?

I don’t count myself as part of a ‘PC’ group and I certainly don’t know everything but a widely accepted descriptor is ‘a person of colour’.

Private Message
Reply: 193 - 208
Ipswin
November 14, 2020, 1:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

I don’t count myself as part of a ‘PC’ group and I certainly don’t know everything but a widely accepted descriptor is ‘a person of colour’.

Thank you very much (but I thought that wasn't allowed now) however that's the term I would probably imagine is most accurate

Private Message
Reply: 194 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 14, 2020, 1:52pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

In your capacity as knowing about accepted descriptors, what would you say is the difference between "a person of colour" and "a coloured person"?

Private Message
Reply: 195 - 208
Sandford1981
November 14, 2020, 2:20pm
Fine Wine Drinker

In your capacity as knowing about accepted descriptors, what would you say is the difference between "a person of colour" and "a coloured person"?

In my capacity as knowing about accepted descriptors😂

On the face of it it appears semantics doesn’t it but scratch the surface and it’s anything but.
The ‘coloured’ tag had or has deep rooted racist connotations that relate to Jim Crow laws in America. People were lynched and killed for being ‘coloured’. So I can imagine being labelled in such a way could be offensive and distressing.

As far as a person of colour is concerned I’d imagine that it denotes any person who is not white or black.

Private Message
Reply: 196 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 14, 2020, 3:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

In my capacity as knowing about accepted descriptors😂

On the face of it it appears semantics doesn’t it but scratch the surface and it’s anything but.
The ‘coloured’ tag had or has deep rooted racist connotations that relate to Jim Crow laws in America. People were lynched and killed for being ‘coloured’. So I can imagine being labelled in such a way could be offensive and distressing.

As far as a person of colour is concerned I’d imagine that it denotes any person who is not white or black.

I accept the first part without question though I would say that it was a descriptor little heard in normal conversation the UK.

The second part seems to me to be as (in)offensive as the first part. Not just semantics. I would think someone who is called a "person of colour" would not make the distinction.

Slightly off beam - I lived in Nottingham for a while amidst a largely West Indian population and the term "darkies" was applied almost universally, including by them. They were also known to us students as "rastas" while to them we were "the white boys" when it came to Sunday morning cricket in the park. I would imagine all of this is now verboten though there was no malice given or taken.

On the other hand, I had a girlfriend at the time who came from from Liverpool and whose father was Jewish. Her mother was Catholic. The insults towards her mother for marrying a Jew were audible and vicious.

Private Message
Reply: 197 - 208
Sandford1981
November 14, 2020, 4:21pm
Fine Wine Drinker

The second part seems to me to be as (in)offensive as the first part. Not just semantics. I would think someone who is called a "person of colour" would not make the distinction.

As I’ve alluded to already I’m no expert, I am only reflecting what I’ve picked up over the last few months via the books I’ve been reading around racism (that’s not to be clever, I just wanted to understand things better.)

Regarding the term ‘person of colour’, I’m sure we could find people who may reject the label for a myriad of reasons.

As people I feel we have a lovely habit of wanting to categorise everything, but equally we are uncomfortable being put in a category ourselves. However, from what I’ve read that doesn’t seem to be a contentious description.

Perhaps Ipswin could ask his neighbour for his opinion?

Private Message
Reply: 198 - 208
Manchester Mariner
November 14, 2020, 5:53pm

Exile

On the other hand, I had a girlfriend at the time who came from from Liverpool and whose father was Jewish. Her mother was Catholic. The insults towards her mother for marrying a Jew were audible and vicious.

My mother in law is from Liverpool and the amount of agro and family fall outs due to Catholics marrying out of their denominations is crazy. Granted it would've been 'Old Liverpool' as my MIL calls it and things have probably changed but the stories of fights at weddings and non-Catholics being banned from their own siblings funerals were pretty virulent.

Got nothing to do with the FA chairman fallout really but mentions of scouse catholics always remind me of her mental secretarian stories.

Private Message
Reply: 199 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 14, 2020, 6:05pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Manchester Mariner

My mother in law is from Liverpool and the amount of agro and family fall outs due to Catholics marrying out of their denominations is crazy. Granted it would've been 'Old Liverpool' as my MIL calls it and things have probably changed but the stories of fights at weddings and non-Catholics being banned from their own siblings funerals were pretty virulent.

Got nothing to do with the FA chairman fallout really but mentions of scouse catholics always remind me of her mental secretarian stories.

On the other hand such casual anti-semitism is very relevant to the matter of language.

Private Message
Reply: 200 - 208
codcheeky
November 14, 2020, 6:41pm
Cocktail Drinker

On the other hand such casual anti-semitism is very relevant to the matter of language.

I cannot see any anti semetism in this post maybe you can point it out for me, it seems much more anti catholic to me
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 208
Ipswin
November 14, 2020, 6:44pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Sandford1981

Perhaps Ipswin could ask his neighbour for his opinion?

I don't speak to the bloke - he's a foreigner  

Private Message
Reply: 202 - 208
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
November 14, 2020, 7:15pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from codcheeky

I cannot see any anti semetism in this post maybe you can point it out for me, it seems much more anti catholic to me

He is replying to my post which does show some ant-semitism.

Private Message
Reply: 203 - 208
Sandford1981
November 14, 2020, 7:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Touché

Private Message
Reply: 204 - 208
Croxton
November 14, 2020, 9:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,011
Gold Stars: 33
Both my sons have Iranian partners. They have in laws called Mohammed, Fuzi and Baal. All are high functioning professionals in 'The North'. In the 12 years I have known them, I have met many of their wider family at weddings, funerals and celebrations such as Diwali. The issue of 'racial definition' has never been discussed apart from in the choice of names for my four grandchildren. I'm not saying there have been no issues for everyone I have met but the general level of career and societal success would indicate a good measure of integration for the well educated. It has never occurred to me that these lovely folk ,or my grandkids, are 'people of colour'.

It seems to me that descriptors for 'non white British' are more problematic for poorer, less well educated groups who feel marginalised culturally and economically.  If my sons had been manual workers, say and found partners from communities in the East of Sheffield, then I imagine ethnic and cultural differences may have been more difficult to negotiate. 'Class' and economic success make words like 'black' 'Asian' and 'multi ethnic' almost redundant for some and only discussed when used by politicians.

Andy George, President of the National Black Police Association, makes the point that PC moves to ban the  phrase 'black coffee' are harmful to the BAME communities. Improving economic prospects and increasing opportunities will have far greater effects.

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/ne.....ities-senior-police/
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 208
November 14, 2020, 11:51pm
Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I must confez, I can’t picture you Rabatting on with your Moroccan neighbour over the garden fence
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 208
Ipswin
November 15, 2020, 8:10am
Vodka Drinker

I must confez, I can’t picture you Rabatting on with your Moroccan neighbour over the garden fence

Saw what you did there!  

He does do a very interesting roll up ciggie which we enjoy together in the garden in Summer

Private Message
Reply: 207 - 208
Rick12
November 15, 2020, 8:55am
Vodka Drinker

Read this thread and again and tell me it's the anti-racists who are getting wound up......

If something is wrong or accuses you of something your not your going to fight it. Thats why things improve .If not things stay the same and evil flourishes. For instance if someone calls you a thief or a wife beater and youve never stole or  laid a finger on someone or beat her up. Smear campaigns that are designed to wound someone. The irony of it is the people dishing out the abuse are on the same continuum as the racists .Giving out negative energy which harms us all. Whatever you do in this world has some kind of karma for better or worse but ultimately  its the good path that always wins out in the long run.

Like previously stated we all need to work in harmony with each other and nature as well as we are all fundamentally connected to that singular energy source that started everything.

Period

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 208
21 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 ... All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › F A Chairman

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.