Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 16 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 384,555 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
January 27, 2021, 10:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,650
Gold Stars: 189
I do find the whole, "People who died from Covid-19 would only have died from something else soon, anyway" shtick quite odd.

It's a bit like when all those poor folk die in stampedes in Mecca during the Hajj. A couple of thousand were crushed to death back in 2015, but no need to fear, because the Saudi religious authorities decreed that the deaths were God's will and they would all have died at the same time even if they had been elsewhere in the world.

How strange that the Covid-sceptics among us are so determined to latch onto similar logic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3380 - 3468
DB
January 27, 2021, 10:54pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.45
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Covid deaths statistics do not include patients who have died because they have been unable to get hospital treatment due to hospital beds full of covid patients. These people have died without having contracted covid, but covid stopped them having life saving treatment.

When you try to look at the overall picture of covid deaths and associated deaths it is very hard to come to any conclusion about any of the statistics. As Mariner91 points out their are guide lines and if covid related deaths are not in these guide lines then they are not included in govt. gold standard figures.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3381 - 3468
Maringer
January 28, 2021, 12:06am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,650
Gold Stars: 189
That's why the excess deaths numbers are the only real thing to look at. Unfortunately, the reductions in cancer screening and the like over the past year means that the pandemic is going to have a long tail as people who otherwise would have been treated successfully are going to lose their lives a lot sooner in coming years.

A pretty impossible situation for the NHS to deal with. I don't doubt that the balance could have been better, but then we just didn't know much about the illness during the first few months of the pandemic and we're still in the dark about a lot of things even now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3382 - 3468
lew chaterleys lover
January 28, 2021, 10:23am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from DB
Covid deaths statistics do not include patients who have died because they have been unable to get hospital treatment due to hospital beds full of covid patients. These people have died without having contracted covid, but covid stopped them having life saving treatment.

When you try to look at the overall picture of covid deaths and associated deaths it is very hard to come to any conclusion about any of the statistics. As Mariner91 points out their are guide lines and if covid related deaths are not in these guide lines then they are not included in govt. gold standard figures.

The best thing is to view any official figures with a healthy dose of scepticism. There are far too many variables to ever get an accurate guide - a comprehensive breakdown of covid deaths around the world provided by another poster contained the caveat that different countries have different methods of counting a covid death. Quite.

Each country is unique. There are downsides to the way we live life normally in the west and this is one of them
Private Message
Reply: 3383 - 3468
ska face
January 28, 2021, 11:22am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,754
Gold Stars: 851
Healthy scepticism is fine, if you have an idea what you’re talking about.

Sticking your head in the sand, denying what’s obvious in this weaselly, quisling way just because you can’t bare to take any responsibility for your part in this social cleansing is not fine.

People would rather watch over 100,000 of their fellow citizens die, the economy tank and untold damage done to future generations than admit they picked the wrong horse. Not even that, they daren’t tell the horse to get its act together. A nation of cowards and bullies awaiting their instructions from the billionaires that run the place.
Private Message
Reply: 3384 - 3468
DB
January 28, 2021, 12:44pm
Barley Wine Drinker
As I've said before I'm neither red or blue. I don't think it mattered  who was in number 10 when the covid outbreak started. All what was know was that it was an unknown killer virus, initially from nowhere.

Very little was known about it and there was no history to fall back on or precedent to use. It is easy now to look back and say this or that should have been done but, as we all know, when at a crossroads of life which way do you turn?

Boris made some bad decisions and made some good decisions. I think if Stammers was in the same position he would also have made mistakes, probably not the same but similar.

Many months ago I came to the conclusion that the figures presented to us are what the government want us to see. They may verge on some truth but some are manipulated.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3385 - 3468
ska face
January 28, 2021, 2:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,754
Gold Stars: 851
With respect, its clear that forcing people into unsafe conditions - primarily at work or school - is having the effect of dragging this virus out well beyond what would be reasonable, and this is primarily because people cannot afford to miss work.

The options were laid before Boris at the start of the pandemic and it was explained in plain terms what was, and still is, needed to support people and stop them being forced into situations where the virus would spread.

Tweet 1238950454148595713 will appear here...

We’re STILL WAITING, and the economy is tanking, because the govt are ideologically wedded to siphoning off our money into the pockets of their mates rather than actually managing the country. It couldn’t be clearer.
Private Message
Reply: 3386 - 3468
codcheeky
January 28, 2021, 2:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from DB
As I've said before I'm neither red or blue. I don't think it mattered  who was in number 10 when the covid outbreak started. All what was know was that it was an unknown killer virus, initially from nowhere.

Very little was known about it and there was no history to fall back on or precedent to use. It is easy now to look back and say this or that should have been done but, as we all know, when at a crossroads of life which way do you turn?

Boris made some bad decisions and made some good decisions. I think if Stammers was in the same position he would also have made mistakes, probably not the same but similar.

Many months ago I came to the conclusion that the figures presented to us are what the government want us to see. They may verge on some truth but some are manipulated.

List a few good decisions if you can, they seem rather thin on the ground, whether anyone else could do better is a mute point but if you look at our mortality rate compared to every  country there seems no one who could have done worse.
Private Message
Reply: 3387 - 3468
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 28, 2021, 4:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from DB

When the hospitals were overrun in Lombardy, one of the wealthiest regions in Europe with excellent health care facilities, in mid to late Feb, it was clear this was serious. Boris just carried on shaking those hands (when he wasn’t sitting on them).
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3388 - 3468
DB
January 28, 2021, 4:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
As I said I'm not red or blue so you guy's pick spots of each other and the country is in a mess. I only got involved because of this:-

I would much prefer to know exactly how many people have died of covid and only covid with no other underlying illness's.

Simple question which has not had a simple answer. Many varying opinions, red herrings, govt guides etc, but no answer so what is this simple figure? It's not 100,000 but could be half, or a quarter, or 10% etc.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3389 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.