Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 18 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 384,527 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 Next All Recommend Thread
DB
January 30, 2021, 12:22am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from mariner91

You realise that an underlying condition can be something as innocuous as asthma right? Having an underlying condition doesn’t mean someone is already at death’s door.

Of course I realise that and any other medical condition. My point is that every death that mentions covid on the death certificate is blasted around the press/tv as a covid death. We are not told how many people who unfortunately passed away also already suffer asthma, copd, heart disease, cancer etc. The figures are manipulate to provide a headline.

As I post other queries on official figures and had replies their is no answer to my very fair original question which was 'How many people have died from covid with nothing else on thei death certificate'.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3410 - 3468
mariner91
January 30, 2021, 7:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from DB

Of course I realise that and any other medical condition. My point is that every death that mentions covid on the death certificate is blasted around the press/tv as a covid death. We are not told how many people who unfortunately passed away also already suffer asthma, copd, heart disease, cancer etc. The figures are manipulate to provide a headline.

As I post other queries on official figures and had replies their is no answer to my very fair original question which was 'How many people have died from covid with nothing else on thei death certificate'.

It's a pretty irrelevant question though. A condition such as asthma or diabetes if well controlled is not life threatening very often, the patient would likely live for many more years and not die because of those conditions. Even heart disease, people can live with heart disease or heart failure for years and years if it's spotted early and treated properly. Covid affects people with these problems far worse than people who don't have them for various reasons and that's why a very large percentage of people have these co-morbidities. But just because somebody has a co-morbidity doesn't make it a "lesser" death. It's still a death where Covid likely played an important role in cutting that patient's life shorter than it would have been otherwise. Or do they not matter because they had a co-morbidity?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3411 - 3468
grimsby pete
January 30, 2021, 10:19am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,828
Gold Stars: 222
I had to go to Ipswich (20 miles ) yesterday for another covid  test having spent time in hospital last week.

The A14 was as busy as a normal day.

They can't have all be going for a test.

So the ambulance man who said to me last week if I don't have covid when I go into hospital I will when I come out was wrong.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3412 - 3468
mariner91
January 30, 2021, 10:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,726
Gold Stars: 262
Glad to hear you’re well Pete.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3413 - 3468
grimsby pete
January 30, 2021, 11:18am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,828
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from mariner91
Glad to hear you’re well Pete.

Thanks mate.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3414 - 3468
Maringer
January 30, 2021, 11:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,650
Gold Stars: 189
Quoted from DB

The key number is excess deaths. Don't start worrying about what the death certificate does or doesn't say. The excess deaths for the year are an easy comparison with earlier (and later) years and, when you consider that the weather was pretty mild last year and there wasn't much of a flu epidemic due to the distancing, hand-washing, masking and so forth, the numbers show high levels. We'll understand a lot more about it in a year or two but it is likely that our numbers of deaths will remain bad in comparison to those of many of our peers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3415 - 3468
DB
January 31, 2021, 2:26am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from mariner91

It's a pretty irrelevant question though. A condition such as asthma or diabetes if well controlled is not life threatening very often, the patient would likely live for many more years and not die because of those conditions. Even heart disease, people can live with heart disease or heart failure for years and years if it's spotted early and treated properly. Covid affects people with these problems far worse than people who don't have them for various reasons and that's why a very large percentage of people have these co-morbidities. But just because somebody has a co-morbidity doesn't make it a "lesser" death. It's still a death where Covid likely played an important role in cutting that patient's life shorter than it would have been otherwise. Or do they not matter because they had a co-morbidity?

The figure banded about on other posts about covid deaths is 100,000( and it's 100,000 too many). All I was looking for was some kind of break down, which of course there isn't.

In answer to your question ' Or do they not matter because they had a co-morbidity?' every death matters regardless of cause.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3416 - 3468
Stadium
January 31, 2021, 11:06am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
The article below explains two of the myths in circulation quite well after comments such as:

"The best thing is to view any official figures with a healthy dose of scepticism."

‘Covid is no worse than flu'

On Tuesday, the government announced that 100,000 Covid-19 deaths had occurred in the UK. Yet some people are still disputing the numbers. I have been an NHS acute hospital doctor for 32 years and have been working on Covid wards for many months. I have sadly seen hundreds of people with the condition and certified many deaths.  

So let me clear up some of the most common myths and misunderstandings I have heard since the pandemic has grown.

1. People are dying with Covid, not from Covid

This is a wilful misunderstanding of how doctors certify cause of death (and were doing so well before anyone had even heard of Covid-19).

The certificate must be completed by a doctor who was responsible for the care of the person during their final illness to “the best of your knowledge and belief”. It is based on the course of the person’s clinical picture, investigations, treatment, and their previous medical history. For deaths in hospital, certificates are also discussed with a doctor who is an independent medical examiner of deaths. Cremation papers are also scrutinised for accuracy.

Death certification is a solemn and serious professional duty and there would be serious professional or criminal consequences for falsifying certificates. We are also very aware that bereaved families read them and may be affected by what they see.  

There is no financial incentive or push from any regulator to inflate the number of Covid-19 deaths, nor play them down, no credible motive and no evidence that this is happening. The idea that 300,000 registered medical practitioners in the UK are all colluding to cover up such a plot, along with coroners and medical examiners, is risible.

In 90 per cent of cases for which Covid-19 is recorded on a certificate, it features as an “underlying cause of death”. The straw man that we routinely write it on certificates for people who died of something different is demonstrably false and made clear in both Office for National Statistics figures and in independent explainer and fact checker articles from Sarah Scobie of the Nuffield Trust and Venagh Raleigh of the King’s Fund.

2. Reporting deaths within 28 days of a positive Covid test could be death from anything

This is the government’s preferred method of reporting the numbers since the summer of 2020. However, the politically independent ONS data is based on what doctors write on death certificates (whenever or whether a Covid-19 test has been performed) and this methodology has not changed. Doctors don’t take any account of the 28-day rule when certifying.

Plenty of people who develop Covid-19 are sick enough to stay in hospital for weeks before death. A recent analysis of more than 40,000 UK Covid discharges by Leicester University showed that over a five month follow up period, around 30 per cent of people are readmitted and nine per cent die, often with complications of long Covid. They were 3.5 times more likely to be readmitted during that period and seven times more likely to die than patients discharged with non-Covid diagnoses.

If anything, the government’s preferred method of counting under-estimates the real death toll. A recent Guardian analysis suggested that this underestimate was about 20 per cent.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3417 - 3468
Humbercod
January 31, 2021, 2:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
Guardian analysis 😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3418 - 3468
Sandford1981
January 31, 2021, 3:17pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +2,085
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Humbercod
Guardian analysis 😂

I know-it’s absolutely ridiculous isn’t it! The cheek of it. Dispelling internet nonsense with the first hand experience of a veteran Doctor! Where do they get off?

“I know writers who use subtext and they’re all cowards.” –Garth Marenghi
Private Message
Reply: 3419 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.