Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 8 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 384,526 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 ... Next All Recommend Thread
ska face
January 27, 2021, 3:56pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,754
Gold Stars: 851
This may have passed you by, but we are currently in a national lockdown subject to draconian laws and restrictions, and due to the half-arsēd nature of the support provided by the government, this has been the case for almost an entire year. Meanwhile, countries that acted quickly and decisively are effectively back to normal.

Unsurprisingly you’ve swallowed the govt’s latest line of bulkshít about obesity and ageing populations - watch this video to see just what a load of garbage that all is:

Private Message
Reply: 3360 - 3468
Humbercod
January 27, 2021, 5:48pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,487
Gold Stars: 82
100k people have NOT died of Covid this is total BS 100k people have died from a multitude of causes after having tested positive for the virus using a test which is acknowledged to give a high proportion of false positives. Something that does make me chuckle though from the avalanche of government propaganda is the amount of Tory haters that actually take it in😂
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3361 - 3468
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 27, 2021, 5:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from Humbercod
100k people have NOT died of Covid this is total BS 100k people have died from a multitude of causes after having tested positive for the virus using a test which is acknowledged to give a high proportion of false positives. Something that does make me chuckle though from the avalanche of government propaganda is the amount of Tory haters that actually take it in😂

The ONS and various other organisations are of the opinion that Covid related deaths in the U.K. are much higher than 100k.

Given the amount of time some people are spending on ventilators before dying, they could be on them for well in excess of 28 days and therefore, not included in the figures.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3362 - 3468
Stadium
January 27, 2021, 6:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
I suppose anybody can stop the spread of covid if draconian measures are put in place. Quarantine, curfews, all life as we know stopping, but what would be the point?

In a densely populated and open country like ours with an ageing population living longer because of the miracle of medical science , with sometimes separate communities who continue to do their own thing, and us not being the most health-conscious country especially when it comes to obesity, then you have to take the good with the bad. The consequences of the lockdowns we have had are going to be horrendous in terms of peoples health and well being over many years to come, and the economy has suffered a huge downturn which will impact the neediest the most.

Only a very small percentage of the 100,000 people have died OF covid but WITH covid; the vast majority are older people with usually a range of other medical difficulties. The cause of death in most is complications exacerbated by covid.Influenza kills millions of vulnerable people around the world, but we cannot put life on hold every time we have a bad virus.

Lets hope the roll out of the vaccine continues to go well and we can get back to normal asap.

Interesting analysis.
Do you have the data around this?

You've certainly had a change of heart from last year:

"The whole thing has been a catastrophe, we can all agree on that. Mistakes aplenty;  and all of us would do things differently"

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3363 - 3468
DB
January 27, 2021, 6:30pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Humbercod

I totally agree with you. We are presented with a group of figures of deaths. What we are not presented with is the primary cause of death or what illness the deceased were suffering from prior to contracting covid. I do not wish to sound disrespectful to anybody's family, because I have personal knowledge of a death dear to me, but if a person had for example copd. They were given a few days to live and contracted covid and then passed away, covid would be show on the death certificate as a cause of death adding to the covid death figures.

I would much prefer to know exactly how many people have died of covid and only covid with no other underlying illness's.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3364 - 3468
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 27, 2021, 6:39pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.85
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,831
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from DB

I totally agree with you. We are presented with a group of figures of deaths. What we are not presented with is the primary cause of death or what illness the deceased were suffering from prior to contracting covid. I do not wish to sound disrespectful to anybody's family, because I have personal knowledge of a death dear to me, but if a person had for example copd. They were given a few days to live and contracted covid and then passed away, covid would be show on the death certificate as a cause of death adding to the covid death figures.

I would much prefer to know exactly how many people have died of covid and only covid with no other underlying illness's.

I would imagine the ‘purely Covid’ deaths will be relatively low but huge numbers of over 40s have comorbidities and could have lived for years / decades.

An obese 40 year old with diabetes could easily still live to 60 / 70 years old. But Covid could kill them.

That’s why looking at excess deaths is so important. And they don’t look great either!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3365 - 3468
lew chaterleys lover
January 27, 2021, 6:40pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,746
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from DB

The figures I remember reading after Christmas was something like 400 odd deaths of under 60's who had no underlying illnesses. I think in younger age groups it is practically unheard of. I know it is a tiny percentage of deaths, anyway.

I don't know if there is a universal method of counting covid deaths in different countries, but why we chose to show an increased death total "from covid" I have no idea.  
Private Message
Reply: 3366 - 3468
Stadium
January 27, 2021, 6:56pm
Champagne Drinker

The figures I remember reading after Christmas was something like 400 odd deaths of under 60's who had no underlying illnesses. I think in younger age groups it is practically unheard of. I know it is a tiny percentage of deaths, anyway.

I don't know if there is a universal method of counting covid deaths in different countries, but why we chose to show an increased death total "from covid" I have no idea.  

The ONS data is the "gold standard":

The number of Britons to die with Covid now exceeds 100,000, it was revealed today.

Official data from the Office for National Statistics reported that a total of 103,704 UK citizens have had Covid on their death certificates.

The figures include deaths registered up to January 15, with the grim six-figure milestone being breached as a result of a further 7,766 Covid deaths in the most recent week across the UK.

The ONS’s data is different to the Government’s Covid “dashboard”, which is updated daily, and later also passed 100,000. The ONS data is regarded as the “gold standard”.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3367 - 3468
DB
January 27, 2021, 7:03pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.44
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,047
Gold Stars: 390
Quoted from Stadium

The ONS data is the "gold standard":

The number of Britons to die with Covid now exceeds 100,000, it was revealed today.

Official data from the Office for National Statistics reported that a total of 103,704 UK citizens have had Covid on their death certificates.

The figures include deaths registered up to January 15, with the grim six-figure milestone being breached as a result of a further 7,766 Covid deaths in the most recent week across the UK.

The ONS’s data is different to the Government’s Covid “dashboard”, which is updated daily, and later also passed 100,000. The ONS data is regarded as the “gold standard”.

How thick is the gold, gold leaf or gold bar?

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3368 - 3468
Stadium
January 27, 2021, 7:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from DB

How thick is the gold, gold leaf or gold bar?

I'm sure you are the best to answer that.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3369 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 327 328 329 330 331 332 333 334 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.