Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 15 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 383,735 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 Next All Recommend Thread
Gaffer58
February 22, 2021, 8:01pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 31
I’ve been using the local rec ground to practice my golf, I checked and there’s no signs up about no golf allowed, anyhow it’s at least keeping my swing going until I can get back on the course, and up to date I’ve only hit 3 kids 2 adults and a pushchair, only trouble is the blooming dogs keep nicking the balls. But I’m doing all this perfectly safe, on my own and keeping socially distanced, pity I’m not allowed onto an actual course where it’s all organised and safe, for me and other people. Thanks Boris.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3440 - 3468
LH
February 22, 2021, 10:14pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
Quoted from Gaffer58
I’ve been using the local rec ground to practice my golf, I checked and there’s no signs up about no golf allowed, anyhow it’s at least keeping my swing going until I can get back on the course, and up to date I’ve only hit 3 kids 2 adults and a pushchair, only trouble is the blooming dogs keep nicking the balls. But I’m doing all this perfectly safe, on my own and keeping socially distanced, pity I’m not allowed onto an actual course where it’s all organised and safe, for me and other people. Thanks Boris.

Bought myself a net for the garden in lockdown 1 which has been taking a hammering today (day one of a very different five week preseason). Will be on a field near me at first light on Saturday morning dodging dogs, their shite and probably some burnt out mopeds.
Private Message
Reply: 3441 - 3468
Stadium
February 25, 2021, 1:36pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19
Contact tracing reduces the speed of the coronavirus's spread by a maximum of five per cent and as little as two per cent, NHS Test and Trace boss Dido Harding has revealed.

Baroness Harding said in a report to Parliament's science committee that the act of tracking down people who have been close to Covid-19 cases has only a 'relatively small' effect on the R rate of the virus.

The R rate measures how many people each infected person passes the virus on to before they recover. It must stay below 1.0 if an outbreak is to stop growing.

The letter, published this month, estimates that the UK's entire test, trace and isolate system would keep the R down by between 18 and 33 per cent in a scenario similar to October 2020, when there were an average of 19,000 cases per day.

It became less effective when the outbreak got bigger in November, December and January, and when the fast-spreading new variant took over, Baroness Harding admitted.

She said: 'The impact of contact tracing alone reduced the R number by 2-5% (with testing and self-isolation accounting for the remaining 16-28%).'

If the R rate were 0.9 – the maximum value for the UK now – a two per cent reduction would cut it to 0.882. A five per cent drop would cut it to 0.855.

In a report published alongside the letter Test and Trace chiefs said it was unlikely the service would improve on this, saying: 'The impact of contact tracing is relatively small. Even with small changes or improvements to the model, it is not expected that the impact of contact tracing will change drastically. It would remain of the same order of magnitude.'

The admission led critics to question whether NHS Test and Trace's eye-watering £22billion budget is good value for money.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3442 - 3468
codcheeky
February 25, 2021, 1:51pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Stadium
Contact tracing reduces the speed of the coronavirus's spread by a maximum of five per cent and as little as two per cent, NHS Test and Trace boss Dido Harding has revealed.

Baroness Harding said in a report to Parliament's science committee that the act of tracking down people who have been close to Covid-19 cases has only a 'relatively small' effect on the R rate of the virus.

The R rate measures how many people each infected person passes the virus on to before they recover. It must stay below 1.0 if an outbreak is to stop growing.

The letter, published this month, estimates that the UK's entire test, trace and isolate system would keep the R down by between 18 and 33 per cent in a scenario similar to October 2020, when there were an average of 19,000 cases per day.

It became less effective when the outbreak got bigger in November, December and January, and when the fast-spreading new variant took over, Baroness Harding admitted.

She said: 'The impact of contact tracing alone reduced the R number by 2-5% (with testing and self-isolation accounting for the remaining 16-28%).'

If the R rate were 0.9 – the maximum value for the UK now – a two per cent reduction would cut it to 0.882. A five per cent drop would cut it to 0.855.

In a report published alongside the letter Test and Trace chiefs said it was unlikely the service would improve on this, saying: 'The impact of contact tracing is relatively small. Even with small changes or improvements to the model, it is not expected that the impact of contact tracing will change drastically. It would remain of the same order of magnitude.'

The admission led critics to question whether NHS Test and Trace's eye-watering £22billion budget is good value for money.

There is a reason why test and trace failed despite the immense costs and resources, it was given to companies with little or no health experience to implement, the world beating app was rubbish and the woman in charge was totally unfit for purpose, compare this to the vaccine programme that is being led by the NHS, the government for purely ideological reasons gave away masses of money to their mates with very very poor results
Private Message
Reply: 3443 - 3468
Humbercod
February 27, 2021, 12:59pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Latest dingy full of migrants all test positive for Covid but don’t blame the migrants😙
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3444 - 3468
barralad
February 28, 2021, 5:39pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,290
Gold Stars: 126
Quoted from Humbercod
Latest dingy full of migrants all test positive for Covid but don’t blame the migrants😙

According to that purveyor of the absolute truth Nigel Farridge.

I'll pass thanks

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3445 - 3468
Stadium
February 28, 2021, 6:16pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,924
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from Humbercod

The Home Office has refuted a claim by Nigel Farage that a group of asylum seekers who arrived in Dover on Saturday had “all tested positive” for coronavirus.

The former Brexit Party leader inaccurately stated 12 individuals on board one vessel were found to be infected with Covid-19.

The Home Office later confirmed none of the 12 Mr Farage referred to had tested positive for the virus.

Just one person among 87 people who reached the south coast of England in four separate vessels on Saturday had the disease, a Home Office spokesperson said.

The government was forced to clarify the issue after Mr Farage wrote earlier on Saturday: “Covid crisis in Dover this morning. One migrant boat with 12 on board and they all tested positive for the virus. Get a grip @pritipatel.”

Responding to his tweet, a Home Office spokesperson said: “This is incorrect. None of these 12 people tested positive for Covid-19. All adults who arrived today have been tested for Covid-19.”

They added: “Border Force has dealt with a number of small boat incidents today. Contrary to reports claiming multiple arrivals tested positive for coronavirus, just one person has tested positive and will be dealt with in line with PHE guidance.”

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3446 - 3468
LH
February 28, 2021, 7:07pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,500
Gold Stars: 173
I’m sure it’s mere coincidence that everyday since the roadmap was announced we’ve had a drop of about 500 new cases a day after they’d hovered at the 10,000-14,000 mark for a fortnight.
Private Message
Reply: 3447 - 3468
Manchester Mariner
February 28, 2021, 7:32pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.51
Rep Score: +11 / -3
Approval: +2,817
Gold Stars: 41
Quoted from barralad

According to that purveyor of the absolute truth Nigel Farridge.

I'll pass thanks

Tweet 1366102790918012928 will appear here...

"Lovelly stuff! not my words but the words of Shakin Stevens."
Private Message
Reply: 3448 - 3468
Maringer
February 28, 2021, 8:52pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,487
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from LH
I’m sure it’s mere coincidence that everyday since the roadmap was announced we’ve had a drop of about 500 new cases a day after they’d hovered at the 10,000-14,000 mark for a fortnight.

Probably the vaccine effect. The early data seems to show that vaccinated people don't transmit infection as much (as you'd hope) even after a single dose so, as the numbers to have received a dose of vaccine increase, the number of new cases should fall as long as nothing else has changed. Additionally, it appears that protection provided by the AZ vaccine continues increasing from about 4 weeks after dosing onwards so those who were dosed a month or so ago should be reaching higher levels of protection. This ought to lead to a further reduction in transmission.

I'd imagine we will see rises in the number of infections once again by the end of March to tally with the return of all kids to the schools. What should hopefully be the case is that hospitalisations and deaths won't rise in the same way they have in previous waves as the most vulnerable should by then have some protection against serious infection from the vaccines.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3449 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 335 336 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.