Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 35 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 383,897 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
March 2, 2021, 12:47pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Having had the Pfizer jab last week, I'm quite buoyed by the news yesterday of it's effectiveness and have to say that the government have finally got something right. However, they needed to given the absolute sh1tshow to date and the appalling death toll we have had as a consequence. It's crucially important that it works, given that since the roadmap was announced, there seems to be a complete disregard for the lockdown, and on my daily walks, I've noticed that most people are now acting as if it's all over, especially in and around the seafront. I've heard, "I'm alright, I've had the jab" more than once on my jaunts. Morons! It's maybe one of the reason N.E.Lincs cases are on the rise. Watching Vickers on Look North last night, he seemed unperturbed and more happy that businesses were getting some trade. Meggies was rammed on Sunday and there was no police presence I could see to counter the many infractions.

The downside to the success of the vaccine, is that the Tories are now up in the opinion polls and will ride the wave, conveniently glossing over all the fook ups. I hope they are taken to task at some point, but I doubt it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3460 - 3468
Humbercod
March 2, 2021, 4:14pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: -3,494
Gold Stars: 82
Quoted from DB

Too late to say. It's a I've had for many weeks even months.

There is no evidence children are the biggest spreaders.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3461 - 3468
DB
March 2, 2021, 5:47pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,002
Gold Stars: 386
Quoted from Humbercod

There is no evidence children are the biggest spreaders.

OK, I'm fine with that.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3462 - 3468
codcheeky
March 3, 2021, 2:58pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Private Message
Reply: 3463 - 3468
DB
March 12, 2021, 6:13pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.48
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,002
Gold Stars: 386
According to the GT school children have tested positive again.

https://www.grimsbytelegraph.c.....609#comments-section

It's a shame Boris couldn't wait till after Easter so more of the population could be vaccinated.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3464 - 3468
Stadium
March 16, 2021, 7:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Wonder what the "in hindsight" commentators thinks of this???

Downing Street has failed to deny explosive claims that Boris Johnson privately said the UK should “ignore” the spread of Covid-19 when the virus first emerged a year ago.

The prime minister’s official spokesman was repeatedly pressed at a Westminster media briefing on the claims, made in a BBC report drawn from anonymous interviews with government insiders.

But four times he did not contest the report, pointing instead to the PM’s public comments about protecting the NHS and saving lives.

The prime minister warned an “overreaction” to the threat emerging as China imposed the world’s first lockdown could do more harm than good, the BBC report said.

He was also told to follow government advice to stop shaking hands – only to infamously then say, of his visit to Covid patients in hospital : “I’ve shaken hands with everybody.”

“The general view was it is just hysteria. It was just like a flu,” a source told the BBC’s political editor Laura Kuenssberg, saying there was a “lack of concern and energy”.

The prime minister was even heard to say of coronavirus: “The best thing would be to ignore it,” the report claimed – as it became clear there was no ‘Emergency break-the-glass’ plan to unveil.

Asked whether it was true that Mr Johnson had privately said it was best to ignore coronavirus, the PM’s spokesman said: “I would point you back to what the prime minister said at the time.

“It has always been our focus to reduce the rate of transmission, protect the NHS and save lives. That’s what we have sought to do throughout the pandemic.

“Throughout the pandemic, we have been guided by the best scientific advice and medical data available to us. That’s what the prime minister has based his decisions on.”

An unnamed Cabinet minister quoted in the report was also strongly critical of the decision to open up the economy in the summer and the reluctance to lock down again, when infections soared again.

“We knew there was going to be a second wave and there was a row about whether people should work from home or not – it was totally ridiculous,” the minister said.

In September, “a small group inside Downing Street repeatedly tried to change Johnson’s mind” and convince him to lock down, but struggled to persuade him, Ms Kuenssberg claimed.

The account comes as the UK prepares to mark the anniversary of the first lockdown, after the death toll surged past a once-unthinkable 125,000 fatalities.

Notoriously, in February last year, Mr Johnson skipped multiple meetings of the Cobr emergency committee as he relaxed for 12 days with his fiancé at the grace-and-favour country home of Chevening.

He is facing growing criticism for refusing to start a public inquiry into the mistakes he has admitted were made, despite promising one last summer.

The report said that, before the first major coronavirus briefing on 3 March, the prime minister was prepped by aides to say people should stop shaking hands with each other – which was government scientific advice.

But he said the exact opposite, telling journalists: “I’ve shaken hands with everybody,” about visiting a hospital with Covid patients.

The comment demonstrated “the whole conflict for him – and his lack of understanding of the severity of what was coming”, the BBC was told.

There was even talk of “chicken pox parties”, where healthy people might be encouraged to gather to spread the disease, as the government flirted with ‘herd immunity’.

That was not considered as a policy proposal, Ms Kuenssberg was told, but whether suppressing Covid entirely could be counter-productive was.

A Downing Street spokesperson told the BBC: “The prime minister was very clear at the time he was taking a number of precautionary steps, including frequently washing his hands. Once the social distancing advice changed, the prime minister’s approach changed.”

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3465 - 3468
Stadium
April 2, 2021, 10:42am
Champagne Drinker
After the ridiculous lack of scrunity over the extension of emergency powers,the next backtrack is coming......

https://www.politicshome.com/n.....-matt-hancock-denial

https://news.sky.com/story/cov.....t-uk-events-12263326

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3466 - 3468
Stadium
January 28, 2022, 6:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Stadium

Interesting thing today was that, more than once, we heard certain measures would not be taken for now because they didn't think that people would stand for it/endure it

So that says two things to me.
1) that the Nudgers have outshouted the scientists and
2) that HMG has no faith in its power to enforce anything.

not good

What a surprise.........

https://archive.ph/TXXBC

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3467 - 3468
ginnywings
February 1, 2022, 8:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,126
Gold Stars: 548
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3468 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 337 338 339 340 341 342 343 344 345 346 347 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.