Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 14 Guests

Coronavirus

This thread currently has 384,799 views. Print
347 Pages Prev ... 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 ... Next All Recommend Thread
grimsby pete
May 30, 2020, 12:17pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.79
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,834
Gold Stars: 222
As an old git at most risk of the virus I am concerned of the outcome of all this to the younger generation.

Most younger people can shake off the effects of this virus like they would the normal flu.

So why don't lockdown the over 65 and let the rest carry on with their lives ?

It will not affect me so much but there will be a price to pay when this is all over and it's the young that will be paying for it sadly.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2750 - 3468
Stadium
May 30, 2020, 1:07pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19

That's very easy to explain. The government followed the science to quite rightly to reduce the number of deaths and ensure the NHS was not overwhelmed.

Going forward the scientific advice will be just one factor the government has to juggle; it cannot go down the route of never easing the lockdown and trash the economy and our future well being but neither can it be gung ho and cause cases to erupt again.

The situation is evolving all the time - is your solution to keep banging the government over the head as every new thing happens?  Do you think because government sensibly followed scientific advice they have to slavishly follow it for time immoriial?

???
I posted the article from the DT as it's paywalled & might provide some insight to posters.
Remember that's the DT which ministers were providing updates which non subscribers couldn't access.
I look forward to the daily briefing later were I'm sure your explanation will be confirmed.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2751 - 3468
Gaffer58
May 30, 2020, 3:25pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,096
Gold Stars: 33
But without the lockdown then I truly believe some areas of the country would have been completely overwhelmed, fortunately we have got away quite lightly compared to others, but as many people keep saying what about the normal work of the NHS, I think it’s safe to say that some cancer patients will die earlier as they have not been seen early enough.We cannot keep having many thousands in hospital with the virus and expect other ailments to be dealt with.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2752 - 3468
Stadium
May 30, 2020, 5:21pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +6 / 0
Approval: +1,926
Gold Stars: 19
Quite clear there from deputy CMO

Deputy Chief Medical Officer Jonathan Van Tam, asked about Dominic Cummings, says that in his opinion the rules are "clear and have always been clear,” they are for the benefit of all and they apply to all

And from a Boston Utd ST holder too.

“There's nothing wrong with the car except that it's on fire.”- Murray Walker
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2753 - 3468
LH
May 30, 2020, 9:59pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,596
Gold Stars: 175
Good British common sense will get use through this pandemic.

The same British common sense that saw 3 or 4 people (depending on source) having to be airlifted from a packed Durdle Door beach in Dorset after jumping 200ft off a cliff. FFS.
Private Message
Reply: 2754 - 3468
ginnywings
May 31, 2020, 8:43am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
Of course i realise that the economy is important, especially to the younger among us who have families and mortgages, but i think the Government have been driven by it from the start, as you would expect of Tories. They are putting too much emphasis on it as is their wont. I know it's costing the country a shed load of money but it's our money mainly and they are there to serve the interests of the public. They didn't flinch at bailing out the banks to the tune of 500 billion did they, and where did that money come from? Public coffers.

They have made far too many mistakes in my opinion, chief of which has been too slow into lockdown, and too quick coming out of it. We are still getting thousands of new cases a day and the death toll is just not coming down fast enough. The on off on off track and trace system again is too little too late. The quarantine of visitors to the country, too little too late. The decision to reopen primary schools is baffling. My niece is a headmistress at one such school and is tearing her hair out trying to comply with the impossibility of it. Just have an extended summer holiday and go back in September. The real reason they are choosing primary schools is so the parents can be freed up to go back to work. Everyone knows that, yet the Government won't admit it.

Lastly, the whole Dominic Cummings episode has been a disaster that will end up costing lives. People have lost confidence in the Government over it and are saying balls to it, if it's ok for you to flout the rules with impunity, then it's ok for us. You can see it in peoples actions and words. Took the dog out last night and the seafront was rammed with cars. There was scores of people on the pier and groups of folk not even attempting to keep their distance. Barbecues happening in many houses with groups clearly visible sat next to each other. Due to the initial compliance with lockdown and our geographical location, we have been relatively Covid free round here, but i fear that isn't going to last now, and i see a big spike on the cards.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2755 - 3468
Ipswin
May 31, 2020, 8:53am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
When that second wave comes as it surely will, especially the way people are acting, life prisoners when they are released don't go as mad as some folk are now (what the intercourse is the desperate need to get down to the prom, queue at MacDonalds or light a barbeque and invite a load of drunken mates round, what's the attraction FFS?) the government will never manage to put the cork back in the bottle and re-instate lockdown.
And when you get contacted through this ill planned track and trace system to say you have been in contact with someone who has the virus I don't see many isolating themselves as instructed and staying at home from work or the beach or whatever again, it just ain't going to happen.
Sadly the mad illegitimates ignoring advice about distancing will probably be the ones who survive

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 2756 - 3468
BobbyCummingsTackle
May 31, 2020, 9:13am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.54
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Location: Clowns to the left of me, jokers to the right, stuck in the middle...
Approval: +7,301
Gold Stars: 307
Quoted from LH
Good British common sense will get use through this pandemic.

The same British common sense that saw 3 or 4 people (depending on source) having to be airlifted from a packed Durdle Door beach in Dorset after jumping 200ft off a cliff. FFS.

Darwin had a theory about this  

Miss Scunthorpe. Not a beauty pageant, just sound advice.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2757 - 3468
ginnywings
May 31, 2020, 9:17am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.02
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,151
Gold Stars: 548
I fear you are right Swin and we are keeping away from it as much as possible. We only drove along the Prom on our way back home because the road up top is partly closed where the new paving is going down. We chose to go out to Horseshoe Point with the dog and waited until after 5 when we thought most people would have been and gone. There is a car park there with a big bin and it was overflowing with litter. We saw loads of empty KFC boxes and bags blowing about. You don't normally get that many people around there, which is why we like it, but it seems to be a lot more busy than it used to be.

As an aside, the last two times we have been there, we have stumbled on a dead deer, a dead seal, and yesterday, there was the remains of a dead juvenile whale on the beach. Too much death around at the moment.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2758 - 3468
lew chaterleys lover
May 31, 2020, 9:24am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,758
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Ipswin
When that second wave comes as it surely will, especially the way people are acting, life prisoners when they are released don't go as mad as some folk are now (what the intercourse is the desperate need to get down to the prom, queue at MacDonalds or light a barbeque and invite a load of drunken mates round, what's the attraction FFS?) the government will never manage to put the cork back in the bottle and re-instate lockdown.
And when you get contacted through this ill planned track and trace system to say you have been in contact with someone who has the virus I don't see many isolating themselves as instructed and staying at home from work or the beach or whatever again, it just ain't going to happen.
Sadly the mad illegitimates ignoring advice about distancing will probably be the ones who survive

A second wave and subsequent waves may or may not come but we will deal with it when it happens.

Just like you I am in the vulnerable category but you cannot let it rule your life. Some people will obey any advice to the letter, others wont give a damn but the majority will take sensible precautions without getting paranoid.

The good news is that the risk is falling and if, if the  rate increases then we will have to deal with it at the time.

What other realistic option is there unless you want to impose martial law and completely wreck the economy?
Private Message
Reply: 2759 - 3468
347 Pages Prev ... 266 267 268 269 270 271 272 273 274 275 276 277 278 279 280 281 282 283 284 285 286 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Non Football › Coronavirus

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.