Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar Bogle - set to leave Cardiff City in January.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 154 Guests

Omar Bogle - set to leave Cardiff City in January.

This thread currently has 36,129 views. Print
18 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 All Recommend Thread
acko338
January 12, 2020, 12:54pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Always liked Bogle as a physical scoring striker - looks like he is out of favour and will be let go in this window.

Although many fans say never go back, could he be a wild card total surprise signing? Could we afford him and would he return?

Not on Twitter but have heard rumours he was putting out a "come and get me" tweet recently?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Rik e B
January 12, 2020, 12:57pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +20 / -3
Approval: +3,916
Surely his wage demands way out of our league now?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 172
Hagrid
January 12, 2020, 1:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
Not a chance
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 172
Mayaman
January 12, 2020, 1:02pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.89
Rep Score: +7 / -2
Approval: +3,259
Gold Stars: 71
If anyone can do it, Ollie can.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 172
rancido
January 12, 2020, 1:17pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 92
It all depends on affordability and if Ollie sees him as capable of fitting in with his plans.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 172
toontown
January 12, 2020, 1:18pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,159
Gold Stars: 69
He liked a tweet from a follower about us signing him, i think, but I would imagine that was out of appreciation for the thought rather than anything realistic. His wage demands would be way out of our reach, he was on championship level wages. He would be league 1 level at least. The gap between league 1 and 2 is far bigger than it used to be
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 172
Davec
January 12, 2020, 1:20pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
can we do another crowdfunder to sign him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 172
headingly_mariner
January 12, 2020, 1:24pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Gold Stars: 113
If there was any chance we could get him it would be a great signing. Sadly I think he’s well out of our price range.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 172
buckstown
January 12, 2020, 1:31pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,121
Gold Stars: 77
Pompey or similar would be my guess
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 172
grimsby pete
January 12, 2020, 1:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
If we only paid half of the money he is on now he will still be on more than double we pay our top earner so I don't think it will happen. Then there will be transfer fee doubt Cardiff will give him a free.

Would love to have him back though.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 172
heppy88
January 12, 2020, 1:42pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / 0
Approval: +3,069
Gold Stars: 40
The only striker I would welcome is Amond. How we let him go I'll never know🙄
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 172
Ipswin
January 12, 2020, 1:46pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from acko338

Not on Twitter but have heard rumours he was putting out a "come and get me" tweet recently?

I don't think that was directed at us somehow

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 172
Poojah
January 12, 2020, 2:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.23
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,153
Gold Stars: 1,490
The idea of Bogle returning in this window seems less ridiculous now than it did a couple of weeks ago, but it’s still a long, long shot at the very best. Let’s just break it down.

Bogle will be going out in January, that much seems clear. It will probably be a loan deal, because he’s believed to be on c. £10k a week at Cardiff and he’ll not be getting anything like that at his next club.

Cardiff won’t care where he goes, he ain’t coming back - it’s just a case of getting as much of his wages off their payroll as possible. Even if Town really wanted to push the boat out, how far could we go? £2k - £3k a week absolute max I’d imagine, possibly less. For that to be agreeable to Cardiff there would have to be literally no one else willing to pay more, and given that he’s done relatively well in his previous loan spells in League One that seems highly unlikely.

Even if we did manage to agree something with Cardiff, would he really want to come back? You could argue that coming back to the place where he’s loved could be just what he needs to restart his career, or that Ollie’s just the character he needs right now. You could equally argue that going right back to where he was three years ago would be the ultimate symbol of failure.

Again, we’d have to be the only club in the running. If he has an option in League One, he has to take it for the sake of his career.

It’s probably one to file under ‘stranger things have happened in football’ (it’s probably not that much stranger than Ollie being here), but so many stars would have to align for it to happen, I just can’t see it.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 172
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 12, 2020, 3:14pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.35
Rep Score: +43 / -11
Approval: +8,658
Gold Stars: 23
Much as I rated Bogle, enough to do my bit for OP anyway, I do wonder what has happened to his career. It seemed to have stalled very quickly didn't it? Substitutions, on the bench, loaned out .....A player who cost that much you would expect to be at least a regular at Championship or at least L1 for the past 2-3 seasons. So I would wonder why and perhaps have some reservations now about paying a fee and/or big wages for him.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
― John Stuart Mill, On Liberty."
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 172
ex-merseymariner
January 12, 2020, 3:19pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.24
Rep Score: +12 / -10
Approval: +1,397
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Poojah
The idea of Bogle returning in this window seems less ridiculous now......

It’s probably one to file under ‘stranger things have happened in football’ (it’s probably not that much stranger than Ollie being here), but so many stars would have to align for it to happen, I just can’t see it.

Good post, it occurs to me that if Bogle did go to a Lge2 club, then regrettably Scunny would have a better shout, the Hurst link, or any club close to the Midlands if he wants to be there.   If Doyle is going back to bradford dont Swindon have a slot free? And as everyones been saying Lge 1 is most obvious option anyhow.

#newera;   New owners, new approach;  'we bought Grimsby Town to help renew the place we love'  
Join the Trust, get involved: UP THE MARINERS!  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 172
TheRealJohnLewis
January 12, 2020, 3:22pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +13 / -8
Approval: +2,308
Gold Stars: 39
Towards the end of his time with us, he had an inflated ego and wasn't much of a team player, so I dread to think what it's like now he's had a few years at a higher level.  No doubt he has talent, but personally I think his attitude is lacking and he'd be a disruptive character in the dressing room.
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 172
Kris2
January 12, 2020, 3:22pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.65
Rep Score: +16 / -18
Approval: +2,617
Gold Stars: 136
I think if he signed to a club in L2 again he'd be one of the best strikers in the league, don't see it happening though and imagine he'll end up at one of the larger L1 clubs that are willing to take a chance on him. Doesn't seem to have found a team and system that works for him yet and I'm not sure of the reasons why. I think with the right manager and coaching he could be great at a high level, I think he's a player that needs to feel loved and have a team cater to him as he quickly tends to lose his temper and focus when things aren't going his way. He's always thrived better when he has that confidence and rhythm to his game.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 172
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 12, 2020, 3:25pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from ex-merseymariner

Good post, it occurs to me that if Bogle did go to a Lge2 club, then regrettably Scunny would have a better shout, the Hurst link, or any club close to the Midlands if he wants to be there.   If Doyle is going back to bradford dont Swindon have a slot free? And as everyones been saying Lge 1 is most obvious option anyhow.

Funny thing - for some reason I can't explain, I never really felt that Hurst rated him that highly.

“If all mankind minus one, were of one opinion, and only one person were of the contrary opinion, mankind would be no more justified in silencing that one person, than he, if he had the power, would be justified in silencing mankind.”
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 172
Teesknees
January 12, 2020, 3:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +1,596
Gold Stars: 18
Big pay packet and big ego. Plus looking at other teams fans boards he seems to be classed as lazy..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 172
wigworld
January 12, 2020, 3:43pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Approval: +2,073
Gold Stars: 29
Quoted from Davec
can we do another crowdfunder to sign him?

SHUT UP!

Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 172
tarka
January 12, 2020, 3:54pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.12
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +891
I can't see Holloway touching him with a barge pole - regardless of wages. He undoubtedly has talent but the only place he has really excelled has been non-league. He just hasn't reached his potential and the football scrapheap is littered with players who didn't reach their potential.  
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 20 - 172
grimsby pete
January 12, 2020, 4:00pm

Exile
Quoted from heppy88

Only one man to blame for doing that  Podge got his revenge yesterday 😂

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 172
Northbank Mariner
January 12, 2020, 4:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,391
Gold Stars: 170
Another player that's flattered to deceive in my eyes...
Outstanding in non league, looked good in league 2 but then when he's been asked to step up the league's he's out of his depth.
I've not looked at his scoring record over the last 3 years but I get a feeling it could be grim reading
And if teams are looking to bring in a striker who's going to net them 15+ goals a season, well, Bogle doesn't fit that mould going on his recent form...so while he's on big bucks at Cardiff i think he'll have to resign himself to taking a pretty hefty pay cut to get into a team where he'll play regular football again and I expect that to be maybe somewhere like Lincoln, bottom half of league 1 at best..
Shane it's not worked out for him but as we see with all players, they have a level and championship is a level too high for Omar..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 172
Davec
January 12, 2020, 4:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.17
Rep Score: +15 / -10
Approval: +1,441
Gold Stars: 42
Quoted from tarka
I can't see Holloway touching him with a barge pole - regardless of wages. He undoubtedly has talent but the only place he has really excelled has been non-league. He just hasn't reached his potential and the football scrapheap is littered with players who didn't reach their potential.  

So he was excrement for us was he in the football league for us?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 172
tarka
January 12, 2020, 4:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
He may do it at League 2 level but certainly not well enough to justify the wages he would accept.
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 24 - 172
HertsGTFC
January 12, 2020, 4:24pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.23
Rep Score: +29 / -8
Approval: +22,647
Gold Stars: 217
Feels like a good example of where the Jan window can often trip players on the move up.

Leaving us was arguably a season too early for his development he’d jumped from NL1 to the Championship with one and a half seasons in between but that happens especially when a club like us gets a decent bid.

The other thing he and his agent got wrong was signing for a poor struggling Wigan side where he was brought in to make an impact, big challenge that for someone who needed a lot of input & development.

If I recall right it took him a while to get going in the 2 seasons he started for us but his average was just under 1 in 2 I think.

He’d be a decent signing for any club in L1 and 2 if they could give him a run and be patient but it categorically won’t be us.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 172
Ipswin
January 12, 2020, 4:38pm
Vodka Drinker
I recall some daft buggers on here saying he was England and Premiership material never mind Championship.

I also recall all the excrement that came my way because I didn't get excited about him getting 18 or 19 goals for a very average Town side strikerwise in Div 4

I think the phrase is one I used once of a staff report I had to write 'performs well in moderate company'

Wouldn't pass Holloway's test, can't see him clearing up mud can you?

Private Message
Reply: 26 - 172
tarka
January 12, 2020, 4:41pm
Table Wine Drinker
[quote=54

Wouldn't pass Holloway's test, can't see him clearing up mud can you?[/quote]

I think that just about knocks the nail on the proverbial head!
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 27 - 172
Abdul19
January 12, 2020, 4:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.42
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,449
Gold Stars: 214
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

Outstanding in non league, looked good in league 2

Other way round I'd say.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 172
wigworld
January 12, 2020, 5:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +32 / -3
Quoted from tarka

19 goals for us in our first season back in the league, before he left for Wigan at the end of January. You may be right about the money, but he has nothing to prove about his goal scoring ability at league 2 level.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 29 - 172
Poojah
January 12, 2020, 5:12pm
Vodka Drinker

Funny thing - for some reason I can't explain, I never really felt that Hurst rated him that highly.

I don’t think they got on all that well. There was a period during our promotion season where Bogle was completely out of the squad for a number of games, and at the beginning of our first season back in the league he was behind Scott Vernon in the pecking order. It wasn’t really until he scored that hat trick against Stevenage that he became the firm first choice.

I don’t really remember an ego when he was here, just a young lad who became frustrated a little too easily when things weren’t going his way. He was absolutely unplayable that half-season he had in League Two and I’m confident he’d tear the division up again now.

However, I don’t think he’ll have the need to drop to this level for a good few years yet.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 172
tanga_the_indestructible
January 12, 2020, 6:09pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.11
Approval: +613
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Poojah

I don’t think they got on all that well. There was a period during our promotion season where Bogle was completely out of the squad for a number of games, and at the beginning of our first season back in the league he was behind Scott Vernon in the pecking order. It wasn’t really until he scored that hat trick against Stevenage that he became the firm first choice.

I don’t really remember an ego when he was here, just a young lad who became frustrated a little too easily when things weren’t going his way. He was absolutely unplayable that half-season he had in League Two and I’m confident he’d tear the division up again now.

However, I don’t think he’ll have the need to drop to this level for a good few years yet.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z8BbJ3l7kL0
You're right. This was the game that seemed to change him. I remember it well. We were 2-0 down at half-time and looked well beaten. They brought him off the subs bench at the start of the second half and within ten minutes we'd scored two goals, one he set up for Amond, the other he scored. He was unplayable in that half. From then on, something seemed to light up inside him and I thought he was great for us from this game onwards. (Incidentally, the kid that scored their third goal, Rhys Browne, was later signed by us off the back of his performance in this game, too, I think.)
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 172
headingly_mariner
January 12, 2020, 6:33pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,266
Quoted from tarka

He’d scored 20 goals by the end of January in his first season in league.

He is more than proven at our level.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 172
Rodley Mariner
January 12, 2020, 6:35pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,215
Gold Stars: 176
Think he did pretty well at Pompey on loan didn't he?  He's had a bit of bad luck with injuries and never quite become established in a starting XI. Reckon he'd be a handful in League 1 and very, very good in League 2. Swindon could be a decent shout if Doyle doesn't go back and they feel it's worth a gamble to get them over the line.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 172
PoutonStepover
January 12, 2020, 6:37pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
He’s on £6,000 a week at Cardiff. Was on £15,000 at Wigan.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 172
moosey_club
January 12, 2020, 6:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,144
Gold Stars: 220

You're right. This was the game that seemed to change him. I remember it well. We were 2-0 down at half-time and looked well beaten. They brought him off the subs bench at the start of the second half and within ten minutes we'd scored two goals, one he set up for Amond, the other he scored. He was unplayable in that half. From then on, something to light up inside him and I thought he was great for us from this game onwards. (Incidentally, the kid that scored their third goal, Rhys Browne, was later signed by us off the back of his performance in this game, too, I think.)

A blink and you missed it GTFC career moment in that video too for that little Stewart fella we took a chance on.

Regards Omar...didnt fit with Hursts idea of a striker in reality, was in and out the side and if i recall correctly by the time Hurst left he was well out of sorts and favour,  Bignot came in and he immediately started scoring again.  Got the impression Bignot knew how to get Omar going and Hurst was at odds with him.
Would Ollie have a player who spends as much time holding his head in his hands when something doesnt go right as he does working for the team ? I doubt it.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWL
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 172
Hagrid
January 12, 2020, 6:53pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.79
Rep Score: +49 / -21
Approval: +19,988
Gold Stars: 508
He was scoring under Hurst. We were top 5? I think after his pen away at mansfield
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 172
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 12, 2020, 6:54pm
Special Brew Drinker
I just remembered why Hurst didn’t rate him, he wasn’t LJL.

Private Message
Reply: 37 - 172
Rik e B
January 12, 2020, 7:00pm

Whiskey Drinker
He tore up League 2 hence he got his big move, but I'd say our wage structure maxes out at 3k for the likes of Hanson, we really couldn't go further.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 172
Abdul19
January 12, 2020, 7:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Bogle started Hurst's last 12 matches and scored 9.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 172
arryarryarry
January 12, 2020, 7:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.71
Rep Score: +26 / -28
Approval: +9,940
Quoted from PoutonStepover

What about £600 a week and a meal at Papa's every Friday?
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 172
rancido
January 12, 2020, 7:28pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from heppy88

Because PH thought he had to prove himself at League 2 level.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 172
Poojah
January 12, 2020, 7:31pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from PoutonStepover

He had another two years on his contract at Wigan, why on earth would he agree to that?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 172
January 12, 2020, 7:45pm
Guest User
Quoted from Poojah

He had another two years on his contract at Wigan, why on earth would he agree to that?

Well I'd have thought Wigan would have paid him so much and come to some mutual agreement. So he'd lose less financially. Isn't that how it works.
Reply: 43 - 172
smokey111
January 12, 2020, 7:46pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +3,315
Gold Stars: 46
Absolutely ridiculous. He was on nothing like £15k at Wigan.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 172
Poojah
January 12, 2020, 7:55pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 140067

Well I'd have thought Wigan would have paid him so much and come to some mutual agreement. So he'd lose less financially. Isn't that how it works.

Mutual agreements can be had, yes, but a reduction of £9,000 a week over two years is very nearly £1m gross. No way would Omar take a hit like that (why should he?), nor would Wigan come close to bridging that kind of gap themselves.

He’ll be on more than £6,000 now and he’ll have been on less than £15,000 at Wigan. In fact, I suspect the deal between Cardiff and Wigan will have been based on Cardiff paying them back the same fee they paid us and then more or less taking on the remainder of his contract.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 172
toontown
January 12, 2020, 9:38pm
Whiskey Drinker
I thought 10ka week was mentioned when he went to Wigan, could be wrong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 172
ginnywings
January 12, 2020, 10:10pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 538
I remember saying at the time of his departure that i thought he was top end League1, bottom end of the Championship ability wise, and that a million was good business when there were some comparing him to Kemar Roofe and thinking we should be getting the same millions Leeds paid for him. It was a gamble by Wigan and would have been a million well spent if his goals had kept them up.

His goalscoring record in League 2 in the short time he was in it was excptional, and eclipsed his goalscoring record for us in non league by some distance, so to question his time in the league with us is baffling to say the least. Just looked it up and he got 19 in 27 games. He's too good for us at the moment and someone somewhere higher will have him no doubt.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 172
KingstonMariner
January 12, 2020, 10:22pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.12
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from wigworld

SHUT UP!

😂

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 172
golfer
January 12, 2020, 10:51pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,376
Gold Stars: 112
Quoted from Rik e B
He tore up League 2 hence he got his big move, but I'd say our wage structure maxes out at 3k for the likes of Hanson, we really couldn't go further.

doubt if anyone on more tha £2k a week at Town - only Ollie
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 172
PoutonStepover
January 12, 2020, 11:24pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: +107
Gold Stars: 8
Quoted from golfer

doubt if anyone on more tha £2k a week at Town - only Ollie

Pretty sure this is correct. Hanson defo not on 3k a week. I read somewhere our average wage is about £1000 a week, so I’d say the lower paid players in the squad are on 300-500 a week and the top earners on 1500-1800
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 172
Stranger in the Park
January 12, 2020, 11:55pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
In truth ,Bogle has achieved very little since leaving Town. Wigan off loaded him super fast and Cardiff have loaned him out to whoever would have him. He's been lucky in the fact that his lower league goals made him look -on paper- better that he actually is.But the sad fact is the higher placed clubs soon found him out.We've all seen his petulance on field when some defender takes the ball off him or he makes other stupid mistakes.That attitude has been his undoing. Until he sorts his head out he's never going to fullfill the promiss that so many have thought him capable of.Give me Amond anyday.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 172
Rik e B
January 13, 2020, 12:30am

Whiskey Drinker
I got told 2-3k our marquee signings like Hanson and Green and just picked the high end but I really have no clue. Think Fenty said somewhere we had to pay out big bucks to get the likes of Hanson but if that's 2k not 3 then fair enough. Yes I heard average around £1000, youth grads will be a bit less of course which will counter the high earners to pad the squad out.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 172
grimps
January 13, 2020, 4:35am
balderdash
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +21 / -19
Approval: +4,994
I can’t see it happening but if they can’t offload him maybe a loan till the end of the season would be a good deal for all involved .
He can prove he’s still got it and he’d have some friendly fans that would give him time to settle
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 172
MuddyWaters
January 13, 2020, 7:09am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
When he was good, he was really good. At other times, he was a petulant twit who wasn’t a team player.
I’d rather us spend that sort of money on two team players.
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 172
Tommy
January 13, 2020, 8:09am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
In truth ,Bogle has achieved very little since leaving Town. Wigan off loaded him super fast and Cardiff have loaned him out to whoever would have him. He's been lucky in the fact that his lower league goals made him look -on paper- better that he actually is.But the sad fact is the higher placed clubs soon found him out.We've all seen his petulance on field when some defender takes the ball off him or he makes other stupid mistakes.That attitude has been his undoing. Until he sorts his head out he's never going to fullfill the promiss that so many have thought him capable of.Give me Amond anyday.

It sounds like you're judging his credentials as a League 2 player by using his failure (so far) at Championship level.

The fact that he hasn't broke through and succeeded at Championship level does not mean he wouldn't he any good if he came back down to League Two.

It seems mad to me that some people wouldn't want him back because he's not done much since he left us. He's been at Championship/League One all that time.

Let's not forget when he was in League Two playing in our average team he absolutely ripped it up. He was absolutely unplayable at times. Yeah he still had those tantrums and moments where he got frustrated if it wasn't going his way, but I'd rather see that than someone who just doesn't care.

Everyone raves about Podge Amond and plenty have said they'd rather have him back than Bogle. Sorry but it's the other way around for me. Podge was prolific in the conference and is a good L2 striker too. But Bogle was more prolific at the level we're at now, and could create and score goals on his own, whereas Podge (as great as he is at what he does) would need our "non-creative" team to create chances for him in the 18 yard box.

I'm not criticising Amond and of course I'd have him back here too. But Bogle could score goals on his own from anywhere and was on course for a goals return in this league similar to what Amond got in the conference.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 172
nightrider
January 13, 2020, 8:43am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +4 / -3
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 10
Bear in mind it took us at least a year to sign him the first time if I remember rightly.
We were one league higher. He was semi pro. We struggled to get him here  
90s / 00s II can't remember us having many better  up front in the championship. Mendonca a given.

Christ you all wanted him sacked a few months ago. 6th place finish and he's now the messiah and can do no wrong  
Update:  I think I've got this right - He was the messiah. He then wasn't. He then was again. Then it turned out he actually wasnt. He turned into one big huge messiah again. Now he's not actually the messiah we thought he was . Now I'm hoping he rises again quickly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 172
Madeleymariner
January 13, 2020, 8:46am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,014
Gold Stars: 49
What that Aldershot video shows is how poor some of the goalkeepers in the Conference were.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 172
marinerdazza
January 13, 2020, 10:32am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
I think he was a victim of circumstance. First game for Wigan, he scored twice and I remember loads of Leeds fans complaining why they hadn't signed him. He then got injured and the manager who signed him was sacked. New bloke comes in, wants to get rid. Downward spiral ever since.

Always thought Wigan was an odd choice. Also felt that he was desperate to get a move (in case it didn't happen) and probably being pushed by his agent.

He should have gone at the end of the season. With another 10 goals under his belt and a lot more choice.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 172
Abdul19
January 13, 2020, 11:10am

Season Ticket Holder
Easy to say with hindsight. If Wigan hadn't have changed manager, he might've played regularly for a side at the top of League 1 and scored a load of goals. If he'd stayed at GTFC he might've knackered his knee a week later and now be working at Solihull Leisure Centre. Who knows?

Certainly not me, anyway!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 172
marinerdazza
January 13, 2020, 11:13am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.87
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +4,593
Gold Stars: 80
Quoted from Abdul19
Easy to say with hindsight. If Wigan hadn't have changed manager, he might've played regularly for a side at the top of League 1 and scored a load of goals. If he'd stayed at GTFC he might've knackered his knee a week later and now be working at Solihull Leisure Centre. Who knows?

Certainly not me, anyway!

Of course. I was always a big fan of his and I just think it's a shame he's not kicked on.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 172
Abdul19
January 13, 2020, 11:16am

Season Ticket Holder
Quoted from marinerdazza

Of course. I was always a big fan of his and I just think it's a shame he's not kicked on.

Aye, same. Next move's a biggy for him.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 172
Kris2
January 13, 2020, 11:20am
Whiskey Drinker

Those games were so frustrating when what he tried didn't come off so he spent all afternoon sulking. Just as many games as when he was good where he was stomping his feet and moaning constantly to the ref.
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 172
nealeardleyscrossing
January 13, 2020, 11:31am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -1
Approval: -347
Gold Stars: 4
Salford have just signed Bruno Andrade from us for 6k a week, on  2 and half year deal.. Rumour has that they are also signing Michael O'connor and Akinde today. So teams certainly pay dollar in L2.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 172
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 13, 2020, 11:36am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.74
Rep Score: +66 / -22
Approval: +8,759
Gold Stars: 177
Salford have just signed Bruno Andrade from us for 6k a week, on  2 and half year deal.. Rumour has that they are also signing Michael O'connor and Akinde today. So teams certainly pay dollar in L2.

is ffp in use at our level?

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 172
IlkleyMariner
January 13, 2020, 11:58am
Champagne Drinker
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +2,872
Gold Stars: 66
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

The ex manure superstars have pur a bundle of dosh into Salford. As superstars they can do what they like.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 172
Abdul19
January 13, 2020, 12:34pm

Season Ticket Holder
Peter Lim puts the (Singapore) dollar into Salford.

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 172
nealeardleyscrossing
January 13, 2020, 12:35pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY

Not sure how they do it or get around it.

Akinde will go on big wages too, he doesnt get in our side apart from the bench and Akinde and O'connor are very injury prone - Those 3 will cost 10 k in weekly wages. We probably get 4 times theor attendences so as mentioned will be the Class of 92 funding it..
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 172
Rik e B
January 13, 2020, 12:47pm

Whiskey Drinker
Ridiculous. W*nkers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 172
Meza
January 13, 2020, 1:03pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,634
Gold Stars: 50
They bought 2.5 mill of shares which bypasses FFP.  Similarly to what we did.  What is happening at Lincoln wheels look like they are coming off when best players want to leave lol.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 172
nealeardleyscrossing
January 13, 2020, 1:36pm
Lager Top Drinker
Quoted from Meza
They bought 2.5 mill of shares which bypasses FFP.  Similarly to what we did.  What is happening at Lincoln wheels look like they are coming off when best players want to leave lol.

You should stop drinking in the day. Best players??

Akinde has started 2 games - We have Walker and have just got a lad from Arsenal who is massively rated by them - He has played in cups and been on bench in PL.

O'Connor is never fit, getting on, though has been a good player.
Andrade is good but has struggled at this level - 17 appearances in L1 - 1 goal and 1 assist .

We are hardly setting the world alight in L1 but we just need to stay in it - we have played 5 more away games than any team - and only have 7 away games left so just need 19 points more. It is a very tough league - hopefully we can keep picking up points - Massive game for us tomorrow and Saturday - hopfully send Bolton further down your way..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 172
RichMariner
January 13, 2020, 1:36pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,109
Gold Stars: 204
Not quite the same situation but I remember when John Oster rejoined us on loan, about five years after he left us for his big money move to the Premier League.

We were (bottom of the) Championship at the time but he was way too good for us. I didn't think we'd be able to get him on loan but he used it to start playing football again as he hadn't been given a run of games at Sunderland.

Coming to Town will be hugely risky for Bogle, even if money wasn't an issue. On one hand it could kick-start his career again and put him in the shop window, as Andy Todd's loan did, or he could end up doing his ACL.

(I'm aware Oster was a loan deal and Bogle's would be permanent - or a short-term contract at best.)

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 71 - 172
Son of Cod
January 13, 2020, 1:39pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196

You're right. This was the game that seemed to change him. I remember it well. We were 2-0 down at half-time and looked well beaten. They brought him off the subs bench at the start of the second half and within ten minutes we'd scored two goals, one he set up for Amond, the other he scored. He was unplayable in that half. From then on, something seemed to light up inside him and I thought he was great for us from this game onwards. (Incidentally, the kid that scored their third goal, Rhys Browne, was later signed by us off the back of his performance in this game, too, I think.)

Yep, Amond was class for most of the season but I seem to remember he ran out of steam a little bit at times towards then end of the campaign but Bogle really picked up in the run in.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 172
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 13, 2020, 1:42pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Not sure how they do it or get around it.

Akinde will go on big wages too, he doesnt get in our side apart from the bench and Akinde and O'connor are very injury prone - Those 3 will cost 10 k in weekly wages. We probably get 4 times theor attendences so as mentioned will be the Class of 92 funding it..

Ann sorry mate. Can you stop all this nicety and helping us out with good honest civilised responses and stick to the format that has been used on here by many scunts and some of your lot in previous seasons.

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 172
pizzzza
January 13, 2020, 1:43pm

Pontoonite
Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +20 / -10
Approval: +6,657
Gold Stars: 135
Be worth splashing the cash to get him back just so we can reprise this:

[youtube]V5SR7gwBxEg[/youtube]
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 172
diehardmariner
January 13, 2020, 3:57pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.97
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,093
Gold Stars: 520
Bogle has to make sure he gets the next move right, I dare say it's the biggest move of his career.  He's 26 now and has 3 years of doing absolutely nothing.  Big danger he gets forgotten about and fades into obscurity.

Wouldn't surprise me if he drops down to League Two to make a statement, which will in turn (or at least should) get him another move to a higher level on decent money.

Not saying it'll be to us but if he takes the money element out of it, this should be a move he would want to make.  He knows he would be loved, he knows he would likely be first choice and it's a real shop window (especially with the increased media attention we have under Holloway).
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 172
Ipswin
January 13, 2020, 4:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Just watched the Aldershot vid

Scorers Amond Bogle Arnold and Nolan all gone less than a year later, criminal

Private Message
Reply: 76 - 172
Son of Cod
January 13, 2020, 4:32pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.94
Approval: +5,322
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Ipswin
Just watched the Aldershot vid

Scorers Amond Bogle Arnold and Nolan all gone less than a year later, criminal

Nolan wasn't ever gonna stay and Arnold wasn't good enough for L2 though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 172
Ipswin
January 13, 2020, 6:13pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Son of Cod

Nolan wasn't ever gonna stay and Arnold wasn't good enough for L2 though.

Your point being?

Private Message
Reply: 78 - 172
Abdul19
January 13, 2020, 6:54pm

Season Ticket Holder
Ooh, I reckon it was that only one of the four exits was criminal?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 172
AussieMariner
January 13, 2020, 7:01pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Ipswin

Your point being?

I suspect you know this Swin but I think SoC’s point was that you could point the accusatory finger regarding the departure of Bogle and Amond but there was no culpability involved in the loss of Nolan as he was going regardless and of Arnold as he cndajatl
Your use of the term ‘criminal’ seemed to be directed at all four
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 172
Ipswin
January 13, 2020, 7:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from AussieMariner

I suspect you know this Swin but I think SoC’s point was that you could point the accusatory finger regarding the departure of Bogle and Amond but there was no culpability involved in the loss of Nolan as he was going regardless and of Arnold as he cndajatl
Your use of the term ‘criminal’ seemed to be directed at all four

I'm far from convinced every effort was made to keep Nolan after all a transfer to that 'big club' Chesterfield could only have been for the £££££ (it wasn't much of a step up in standard) also I think his contribution in the 18 games he played was totally underrated and unnoticed alongside that of Amond and Bogle

As far as Arnold is concerned he sure as intercourse 'could have done a better job at that level' than some of the duffers we had had since, in fact like some others I'm convinced the play off winning team was better as a unit than anything we have had since

Private Message
Reply: 81 - 172
Abdul19
January 13, 2020, 8:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Nolan got a 3 year contract in League 1 out of it so it can't have been that unnoticed!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 172
Ipswin
January 13, 2020, 8:16pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
Nolan got a 3 year contract in League 1 out of it so it can't have been that unnoticed!

I meant of course his contribution went unnoticed at BP (but of course you realised that)

Private Message
Reply: 83 - 172
Abdul19
January 13, 2020, 8:18pm

Season Ticket Holder

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 172
AussieMariner
January 13, 2020, 8:21pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.34
Rep Score: +13 / -4
Quoted from Ipswin

I'm far from convinced every effort was made to keep Nolan after all a transfer to that 'big club' Chesterfield could only have been for the £££££ (it wasn't much of a step up in standard) also I think his contribution in the 18 games he played was totally underrated and unnoticed alongside that of Amond and Bogle

As far as Arnold is concerned he sure as intercourse 'could have done a better job at that level' than some of the duffers we had had since, in fact like some others I'm convinced the play off winning team was better as a unit than anything we have had since

Quite possibly
However my comment was, in response to your question, to clarify the point SoC was making not to agree or disagree with the validity of his point

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 172
KingstonMariner
January 13, 2020, 11:43pm
Meths Drinker
There's a lot of re-writing of history going on here.

[I paraphrase] 'Bogle was inconsistent and made no contribution when what he tried didn't come off and his head went down'. Well maybe a bit, but the guy bagged 17 goals in the Conference and 20 in half a season in league 2. I don't remember people volunteering to put him on the bus, and would in reality be quite happy to have him back.

Probably the same wisearces (deliberate spelling mistake) who said Amond was a flat track bully who couldn't hack it at League 2.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 172
Rik e B
January 14, 2020, 12:17am

Whiskey Drinker
I just thought it strange Hurst decreed our promotion side cndajatl without them getting a chance to prove it or not and it was all ripped up after the great comeradery built up between players and fan's. I'm sure there must have been some sort of big bust up towards the end.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 172
diehardmariner
January 14, 2020, 10:29am
Vodka Drinker
Yeah but this all conquering Conference side absolutely fell over the line in the end.  In my opinion it wasn't even our best Conference side!

From front to back:

McKeown - still here.
Tait - Tempted away, probably got more money in the SPL
East - Dunno where he ended up.
Robertson - Retired and we upgraded when we got Danny Andrew
Toto - Wanted to move away
Pearson - Let's not go there
Gowling - Struggled to make the step up back into the league.
Arnold - Iconic player, but ha s since proven he couldn't do it above the Conference on a consistent basis.
Monkhouse - Miles off what we needed going into League Two
Clay - Anonymous for most of his final season here.
Disley - Stayed with us for another year as a bit part player.
Nolan - Head and shoulders above League Two - doesn't matter how hard we tried, he wasn't going to stay here.
Marshall - Ended up at Boston?
Pittman - Stayed in the Conference
Bogle - Sold him for big money
Amond - The one mistake we got wrong.

More or less universally there was an agreement that the side wasn't good enough as we wanted to move into League Two.  Dismantling that team was the right thing to do.  Unfortunately it then followed that Hurst had his worst period of recruitment when he looked for the vast majority of replacements.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 172
Abdul19
January 14, 2020, 10:44am

Season Ticket Holder
Aye, I thought the 14/15 side was the better team, but the 15/16 one did it when it mattered (yes I know, Ross Joyce etc)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 172
GollyGTFC
January 14, 2020, 1:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
We had 2 better strikers at the club than Amond for the first half season back in the EFL.

We had Bogle who probably did better than expected and was sold on in January and we had Kayden Jackson who for some reason the work experience manager didn't like at all and sent back to Barnsley. How much did Accrington get for him when they flogged him to Ipswich?

At the time not keeping Amond was correct. A year later and beyond and we could have done with him and his goals. Having said that he hasn't done much good for Newport in League Two has he? There still in the same league as us aren't they?

In 2 and a half seasons in L2 at Newport he's scored 13, 14 (level with Matt) and 7 so far this season.

34 (including 2 penalties) L2 goals in 101 starts and 11 sub appearances is good, but it's not prolific is it?

Last season he managed 14 in 43 L2 starts. Wes Thomas got 11 goals in 33 L2 starts. So last season he was averaging just below Wes Thomas in goals per game.

He did great for us in the National League, but I'm not pining for him to return.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 90 - 172
January 14, 2020, 2:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from GollyGTFC
We had 2 better strikers at the club than Amond for the first half season back in the EFL.

We had Bogle who probably did better than expected and was sold on in January and we had Kayden Jackson who for some reason the work experience manager didn't like at all and sent back to Barnsley. How much did Accrington get for him when they flogged him to Ipswich?

At the time not keeping Amond was correct. A year later and beyond and we could have done with him and his goals. Having said that he hasn't done much good for Newport in League Two has he? There still in the same league as us aren't they?

In 2 and a half seasons in L2 at Newport he's scored 13, 14 (level with Matt) and 7 so far this season.

34 (including 2 penalties) L2 goals in 101 starts and 11 sub appearances is good, but it's not prolific is it?

Last season he managed 14 in 43 L2 starts. Wes Thomas got 11 goals in 33 L2 starts. So last season he was averaging just below Wes Thomas in goals per game.

He did great for us in the National League, but I'm not pining for him to return.

???

If I was a club chairman and my manager said he wasn't fussed about keeping a 37-goal striker, I'd keep the striker and change the manager.

Your league goal stats overlook Podge's serial scoring in the FA Cup, often against higher-level opposition.

I'm not pining for his return either (because he wouldn't come back), but we were crazy to let him go on Paul 'Parslow Sub' Hurst's opinion.
Reply: 91 - 172
Maringer
January 14, 2020, 2:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
I'd have kept Amond upon our return to the League but could understand why Hurst didn't. Fact is, he just didn't score against the better teams when we played them in the Conference. Now, he's obviously a clever footballer, so it may be that our approach play was just a little too limited to create enough chances against the better teams. Regardless of who was playing up front, our record against those teams who finished above us wasn't very good at all and we certainly limped over the line that season but then we had deserved to be promoted the previous year before being cheated by the failings of the referee in the play-off final.

My guess is that Hurst had a bigger 'name' striker lined up which is why he didn't work too hard to keep Amond. That must have fallen through considering that we ended up with Vernon leading the line instead! Jackson just didn't look ready that season despite his slightly fortunate goal in the opening game. Did well at Accrington, obviously, but hasn't really kicked on since then it must be said.

As for Bogle, during that half season in the League, he hit some real form and was playing much better than I thought he would be capable of, despite his decent record in the Conference. He often didn't seem to know what he should be doing or where he should be standing during that promotion season but it really clicked the next year. I agree with those who think the move was too high, too soon for him. If he'd stayed with us for the whole season and bagged himself 35+ goals (which is quite possible the way he was playing), he'd have got his big money move to a Championship club which wasn't struggling so much and his career may well have developed better. At his current age, he ought to be looking to join one of the stronger League Two/League One clubs to start scoring goals again and give himself another chance at a higher level once he's found some form. Don't think we classify as a stronger L2 club at present, unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 172
GollyGTFC
January 14, 2020, 4:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from 137

???

If I was a club chairman and my manager said he wasn't fussed about keeping a 37-goal striker, I'd keep the striker and change the manager.

Your league goal stats overlook Podge's serial scoring in the FA Cup, often against higher-level opposition.

I'm not pining for his return either (because he wouldn't come back), but we were crazy to let him go on Paul 'Parslow Sub' Hurst's opinion.

He's not a 37 goal striker though is he? And he wasn't when we offered him a crap deal after promotion, At the time he was a 28-year-old striker who had previously played in League Two and hadn't made enough of an impact to remain there or even play regularly enough.

You can understand why Hurst and the club felt Bogle & Kayden Jackson were the correct way to go. It's just a shame we didn't sign Jackson.

And re: Podge having scored 15 cup goals in 20 starts in the FA Cup, EFL Cup & EFL Trophy. If we had a player banging in goals at that rate in the cup competitions but not in the league we'd be fuming. The league is all that really matters.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 93 - 172
rancido
January 14, 2020, 4:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from 137

???

Then why have a manager if the Chairman decides who is in the squad? Amond was offered 2 deals and turned them down. He followed the money to join the mighty Hartlepool, his decision probably influenced by his agent. He could have stayed and proved himself at Grimsby but chose to prove himself elsewhere.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 172
Mariner Timsky
January 16, 2020, 7:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Bogle just a bench filler - on the bench last night v Carlisle

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 172
supertown
January 16, 2020, 8:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53
I was gutted when Amond was allowed to leave/chose to leave. Silly decision either way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 172
TownSNAFU5
January 16, 2020, 8:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Even with the benefit of hindsight,  the decisions made over different strikers, at the time, do not look too bad.

If strikers want to leave (Amond) and do not sign a 2 year contract, then there is little that the club could have done.  We need players who want to come here and/or stay here.

Jackson did not good enough at the time.  There was little to see that suggested that he would improve considerably.  As a young player his development could just have stalled.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 172
Jarmo.Is.God
January 16, 2020, 9:20am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Even with the benefit of hindsight,  the decisions made over different strikers, at the time, do not look too bad.

If strikers want to leave (Amond) and do not sign a 2 year contract, then there is little that the club could have done.  We need players who want to come here and/or stay here.

Jackson did not good enough at the time.  There was little to see that suggested that he would improve considerably.  As a young player his development could just have stalled.

I thought the problem with Amond was, that he wanted a 2 year deal, but we was only offering a 1year?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 172
Ipswin
January 16, 2020, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

I thought the problem with Amond was, that he wanted a 2 year deal, but we was only offering a 1year?

That's what appears to be the favourite story whether it is accurate or not we don't know as the club as uaual has kept us in the dark. Given the criticism the apparent decision to let him slip through our fingers caused (and still is causing) I would have thought the club might have been more open about it. water under the bridge now of course unfortunately but we could have done with his goals (and still could)

Private Message
Reply: 99 - 172
rancido
January 16, 2020, 9:40am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

That's what appears to be the favourite story whether it is accurate or not we don't know as the club as uaual has kept us in the dark. Given the criticism the apparent decision to let him slip through our fingers caused (and still is causing) I would have thought the club might have been more open about it. water under the bridge now of course unfortunately but we could have done with his goals (and still could)

Nothing was kept in the dark and it was well documented. In the January transfer window Amond was offered an 18 month deal (his contract was up in that summer). He turned it down, probably gambling that when his contract was up he would get a longer deal. When the season was over he was offered a 12 month deal (in effect the same time span as the original offer). Hurst stated that he wanted Amond to prove himself at League 2 level because he hadn't been a prolific goal scorer at that level in his previous time there. Amond/agent refused offer and Hartlepool signed him on a 2 year deal (they were splashing a lot of cash around at that time). He could have stayed here for a season and proved himself but didn't. No conspiracy, no lack of info from the club but purely a decision taken by Amond and his agent.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 172
GollyGTFC
January 16, 2020, 10:43am

Whiskey Drinker
My understanding is Hurst offered him a new 2 and a half year contract in January 2016. Amond said "no" as he wanted to be playing in the EFL the following season. After we got promoted Amond went in to see Hurst and was only offered a 1 year contract.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 101 - 172
KingstonMariner
January 16, 2020, 2:12pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from diehardmariner
Yeah but this all conquering Conference side absolutely fell over the line in the end.  In my opinion it wasn't even our best Conference side!

From front to back:

McKeown - still here. - obviously good enough
Tait - Tempted away, probably got more money in the SPL + - if he went on more money then obviously good enough
East - Dunno where he ended up. - no argument
Robertson - Retired and we upgraded when we got Danny Andrew - agree
Toto - Wanted to move away - clearly good enough given he's been at a higher level than us since leaving Hartlepool
Pearson - Let's not go there - no argument
Gowling - Struggled to make the step up back into the league. - age caught up with him
Arnold - Iconic player, but ha s since proven he couldn't do it above the Conference on a consistent basis. - agree
Monkhouse - Miles off what we needed going into League Two - agree
Clay - Anonymous for most of his final season here. - agree!
Disley - Stayed with us for another year as a bit part player. - more than a bit part player, but his 'legs had gone'...
Nolan - Head and shoulders above League Two - doesn't matter how hard we tried, he wasn't going to stay here. - clearly more than good enough
Marshall - Ended up at Boston? - no argument
Pittman - Stayed in the Conference - no argument
Bogle - Sold him for big money - obviously more than good enough
Amond - The one mistake we got wrong. - didn't we just. 17 goals for a relegated side was it?

More or less universally there was an agreement that the side wasn't good enough as we wanted to move into League Two.  Dismantling that team was the right thing to do.  Unfortunately it then followed that Hurst had his worst period of recruitment when he looked for the vast majority of replacements.

I don't think anyone is claiming it was an all conquering side. It needed improvement but clearly Hurst lost/removed more good bits than bad. At least 6 of those players were clearly good enough for us in League 2.

The other thing that is hard to factor in is team spirit making the players play above themselves. So even if some of them have subsequently faded I reckon that keeping some of them may have helped keep that team spirit. And in League 2 you don't need to be that good to be in with a shout at the end of the season.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 172
Ipswin
January 16, 2020, 3:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC
My understanding is Hurst offered him a new 2 and a half year contract in January 2016. Amond said "no" as he wanted to be playing in the EFL the following season. After we got promoted Amond went in to see Hurst and was only offered a 1 year contract.

I think that's everybody's understanding but where that story (or the one Rancid relates) came from I don't know and how much is rumour, made up, guesswork or some one claiming to 'know someone who knows' I don't know!

Hence my statement that we have never been officially told

Private Message
Reply: 103 - 172
rancido
January 16, 2020, 4:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I think that's everybody's understanding but where that story (or the one Rancid relates) came from I don't know and how much is rumour, made up, guesswork or some one claiming to 'know someone who knows' I don't know!

Hence my statement that we have never been officially told

The information I used was obtained from the GET and the clubs website. No rumours, just info that was presented in the public domain. But of course most people prefer some kind of "conspiracy theory" instead of published facts.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 172
arryarryarry
January 16, 2020, 4:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Re Amond, clearly poor judgement by Paul Hurst wanting him to prove himself.
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 172
golfer
January 16, 2020, 5:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

The information I used was obtained from the GET and the clubs website. No rumours, just info that was presented in the public domain. But of course most people prefer some kind of "conspiracy theory" instead of published facts.

You are quite right Rancido
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 172
Meza
January 16, 2020, 5:21pm

We urine On Your Fish Yes we do yes we do
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.84
Rep Score: +78 / -3
Approval: +1,634
Gold Stars: 50
Quoted from arryarryarry
Re Amond, clearly poor judgement by Paul Hurst wanting him to prove himself.

Yeah I think so too, not good man management there was it really.  Main striker scoring for fun (albeit non league) yet gets told that your pretty much unproven and gets a years deal, nice.  Me, I would have had given him 2 years, I've already seen he can score goals given the service, and half of the teams in lg 2 are only a little bit better than the top half of non league.  What do you think IH would have done, I think he would have made Amond to be like one of the main men.  Shame really.

[URL=https://imgur.com/VCxdH2Y][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/VCxdH2Ys.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/uMRVvRe][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/uMRVvRes.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/5p7nllT][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/5p7nllTs.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/46BEw5M][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/46BEw5Ms.jpg[/IMG][/URL][URL=https://imgur.com/06NXnQF][IMG]https://i.imgur.com/06NXnQFs.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

My Grimsby Legends
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 172
Rik e B
January 16, 2020, 7:35pm

Whiskey Drinker
Should have made him feel wanted, rewarded him and put some faith in him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 172
Gaffer58
January 16, 2020, 7:55pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.88
Rep Score: +6 / -8
Approval: +4,034
Personally I would have liked to keep Podge and the majority of the promotion squad, just adding 5/6 additional players to strengthen various ares, because that squad was used to winning (more then losing) so in theory we’re full of confidence, just look at the various teams that gained promotion during our conference days and since and I think you will find most kept their squads basically intact with a few additions, and most are in a better position, currently, then us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 172
Ipswin
January 16, 2020, 8:04pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Typical Fishy over-reaction again Rancid. No one is suggesting a conspiracy theory at all simply that I and probably others don't really know what went on about Amond's departure as so many different tales abound.

I was minded to take your story on board until I read that the GET was one of your sources

Private Message
Reply: 110 - 172
WOZOFGRIMSBY
January 16, 2020, 8:40pm

Barley Wine Drinker
It's been.....it's gone
Podge is doing ok for himself
Hurst has proven that he will jump Given the opportunity
Bogle needs to be at the right club

Any chance we can move on?

He’s one of our loans
He’s one of our loans
Harvey Cartwright
He’s one of our loans
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 172
fishboyUTM
January 16, 2020, 8:52pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +1,046
Bogle will be on five figures a week until July when his contract is up. It is unlikely but feasible he could return on loan if we paid maybe 20 percent of his wages, possibly 30 percent up to around 3k a week. That said, how much room is in the budget? He'll be on a free transfer now I'd imagine but we couldn't commit to anything like his current wage.

Our entire wage bill is around £1.8m I believe on the last accounts which includes non playing staff as well. Bogle's current wage would be around £500000 a year so around a quarter of the budget for the entire clubs staff!

On loan possible, but the player is unlikely to want to play at league 2 level and will surely have offers at least in league one. If Cardiff can't get him off the books permanently even on a free, they'll want as much of his wages paying as possible.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 172
MuddyWaters
January 16, 2020, 8:58pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
Quoted from fishboyUTM
Bogle will be on five figures a week until July when his contract is up. It is unlikely but feasible he could return on loan if we paid maybe 20 percent of his wages, possibly 30 percent up to around 3k a week. That said, how much room is in the budget? He'll be on a free transfer now I'd imagine but we couldn't commit to anything like his current wage.

Our entire wage bill is around £1.8m I believe on the last accounts which includes non playing staff as well. Bogle's current wage would be around £500000 a year so around a quarter of the budget for the entire clubs staff!

On loan possible, but the player is unlikely to want to play at league 2 level and will surely have offers at least in league one. If Cardiff can't get him off the books permanently even on a free, they'll want as much of his wages paying as possible.

He won’t come back here on what we can pay him.
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 172
fishboyUTM
January 16, 2020, 9:24pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He won’t come back here on what we can pay him.

Small percentage of his wage on loan. That's my point and the only half chance of pulling it off. He'd score a lot of goals for us no doubt and could well take us into and through the play offs.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 172
Abdul19
January 16, 2020, 9:43pm

Season Ticket Holder
If I was Bogle I'd sack off a big chunk of my remaining Cardiff money and score a shitload of goals for GTFC between now and May. Then I'd be in a much better position contract-wise in the summer. Short term loss, long term gain.

If Bogle was me he'd probably tell himself to shut up!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 172
Northbank Mariner
January 16, 2020, 9:48pm
Whiskey Drinker
Or worse still, what if he comes to the end of his Cardiff contract and he's got no takers/offers?...it's not being the realms of possibility that he'll end up in league 2 on £2.5k a week...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 172
fishboyUTM
January 16, 2020, 10:15pm
Table Wine Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
If I was Bogle I'd sack off a big chunk of my remaining Cardiff money and score a shitload of goals for GTFC between now and May. Then I'd be in a much better position contract-wise in the summer. Short term loss, long term gain.

If Bogle was me he'd probably tell himself to shut up!

He can have his cake and eat it. He can come to us on loan as they seem desperate to ship him out on loan. Pay a portion, Cardiff pay most, Bogle gets his 10k a week and puts himself in the shop window.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 172
KingstonMariner
January 16, 2020, 10:29pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from fishboyUTM

He can have his cake and eat it. He can come to us on loan as they seem desperate to ship him out on loan. Pay a portion, Cardiff pay most, Bogle gets his 10k a week and puts himself in the shop window.

And gets to play for a charismatic manager who’s led teams into the premier league.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 172
Ipswin
January 17, 2020, 9:02am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from WOZOFGRIMSBY
It's been.....it's gone
Podge is doing ok for himself
Hurst has proven that he will jump Given the opportunity
Bogle needs to be at the right club

Any chance we can move on?

Not while we've got strikers who can't hit a cows bottom with a banjo

Private Message
Reply: 119 - 172
GollyGTFC
January 17, 2020, 9:31am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

Not while we've got strikers who can't hit a cows bottom with a banjo

We don't though do we? We've had some decent strikers but we could never give them the banjo close enough to the hit the cow's bottom.

2016/17 we had Bogle and Jackson who both went to the Championship for big fees.
2017/18 we had Matt who went to Newport and matched Amond goal for goal last season.
2018/19 we had Wes Thomas who had a slightly better goal per game ratio playing for us in the bottom half of the table than Amond managed at a play-off finalist.

The problem we've had since Bogle left is that we don't create enough chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 120 - 172
louth_in_the_south
January 17, 2020, 11:04am

Exile
Approval: +5,552
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Or worse still, what if he comes to the end of his Cardiff contract and he's got no takers/offers?...it's not being the realms of possibility that he'll end up in league 2 on £2.5k a week...

Oh my heart would bleed for the poor soul . What hardship that would be ...get me a hanky im welling up at the thought of it

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 172
Northbank Mariner
January 17, 2020, 11:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Oh my heart would bleed for the poor soul . What hardship that would be ...get me a hanky im welling up at the thought of it

That was kind of my point.  He's hanging on to circa £10k a week at the moment, not scoring, not performing yet will expect similar amounts when he's released...to me, he's not worth that kind of money and could end up in league 2 on circa £2.5k which ain't too shabby for a player who's not lived up to expectation outside of this league..too you and me that's mega money, the sort I can only dream of earning, yet Bogle believes he's entitled to more, someone please tell me why!!...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 172
Abdul19
January 17, 2020, 11:54am

Season Ticket Holder
Who knows what Bogle believes?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 172
Ipswin
January 17, 2020, 12:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19
Who knows what Bogle believes?

I think he believes he's better than he really is but who cares anyway?

Private Message
Reply: 124 - 172
diehardmariner
January 17, 2020, 1:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

We had Bogle who probably did better than expected and was sold on in January and we had Kayden Jackson who for some reason the work experience manager didn't like at all and sent back to Barnsley. How much did Accrington get for him when they flogged him to Ipswich?.

No we didn't.

We had Bogle who was outstanding for a three-month period, that can't be argued.  And we then had a very young and raw Kayden Jackson who was absolutely miles off the pace with what we expected.  His last (or one of) appearances for us was at Donny away, which still remains one of the most ineffectual displays from a front man I've ever seen in my life!  Maybe it was the kick up the bottom he needed, maybe he just didn't fit in here.  Regardless of the why, he just wasn't up to it here.  No doubting he's gone on from strength to strength since leaving but with the exception of that opening day display against Morecambe, he showed nothing to suggest he would go onto be a £1million player.

Amond didn't just score goals for that side.  He led the line.  His movement and know-how was a cut above and in my opinion something we've still not replaced.  The person we replaced him with to lead the line was Scott Vernon.  No disrespect to Scott, who is a nice bloke and was a good professional, but an absolute gulf in what Amond offered.

I don't hanker for former players just for the sake of it.  Most have left here because they weren't good enough.  But Amond is a player we go wrong and I would still have him back here tomorrow.  He's quite simply a very good player.
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 172
diehardmariner
January 17, 2020, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I don't think anyone is claiming it was an all conquering side. It needed improvement but clearly Hurst lost/removed more good bits than bad. At least 6 of those players were clearly good enough for us in League 2.

The other thing that is hard to factor in is team spirit making the players play above themselves. So even if some of them have subsequently faded I reckon that keeping some of them may have helped keep that team spirit. And in League 2 you don't need to be that good to be in with a shout at the end of the season.

Genuinely curious who those 6 are?

The likes of Toto, Tait, Nolan...they would all have stepped up with ease.  But we didn't have that option.  They wanted to leave/play at a higher level/got contracts we couldn't compete with.

Team spirit is a good thing but I never doubted Hurst's ability to build a dressing room.  It was his strong point.  Year on year he managed to have a mini overhaul but the dressing room spirit remained or got stronger.

I still think Hurst did the right thing in trying to improve the team, he just failed to do it and actually weakened the team in the process.
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 172
rancido
January 17, 2020, 4:43pm

Vodka Drinker

Genuinely curious who those 6 are?

The likes of Toto, Tait, Nolan...they would all have stepped up with ease.  But we didn't have that option.  They wanted to leave/play at a higher level/got contracts we couldn't compete with.

Team spirit is a good thing but I never doubted Hurst's ability to build a dressing room.  It was his strong point.  Year on year he managed to have a mini overhaul but the dressing room spirit remained or got stronger.

I still think Hurst did the right thing in trying to improve the team, he just failed to do it and actually weakened the team in the process.

So what did we get wrong about Amond? He left to go to a club that got relegated and is now playing for a club at the same level as us. If he was so good he would have been snapped up by a club at a higher level. I don't get all this love-in with him. He is just a half decent striker, who had a decent season with us non - league, who has found his level. He rejected us, don't forget, not the other way round.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 172
KingstonMariner
January 17, 2020, 11:26pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

So what did we get wrong about Amond? He left to go to a club that got relegated and is now playing for a club at the same level as us. If he was so good he would have been snapped up by a club at a higher level. I don't get all this love-in with him. He is just a half decent striker, who had a decent season with us non - league, who has found his level. He rejected us, don't forget, not the other way round.

Simple really. His scoring record over the first three seasons back in the League was better than anyone else we had, bar Bogle.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 172
rancido
January 18, 2020, 12:26pm

Vodka Drinker

Simple really. His scoring record over the first three seasons back in the League was better than anyone else we had, bar Bogle.

But he is still playing at our level. Like I said , it was his choice to leave, we didn't release him. He's gone , it's history and only conjecture if anybody thinks he could have scored goals for us like he has for the teams and set-ups that he has been with.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 172
Rodley Mariner
January 18, 2020, 12:36pm
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Ipswin

I think he believes he's better than he really is but who cares anyway?

This thread suggests you probably do.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 172
Rodley Mariner
January 18, 2020, 12:38pm
Special Brew Drinker
Why is it some posters seem to have a problem with him? Is it the goals at Wembley to get us promoted or the large chunk of income he generated for us that most upsets?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 172
Abdul19
January 20, 2020, 10:56pm

Season Ticket Holder
Seeing as Salford and FFP were mentioned in this thread:

(Click on it for full thread)

https://twitter.com/KieranMaguire/status/1219348916371697664?s=19

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 172
toontown
January 21, 2020, 7:26am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Abdul19

That doesn't fit with the top 12 wages claim of fenty does it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 172
louth_in_the_south
January 21, 2020, 7:32am

Exile
Don’t know if this has already been mentioned anywhere but “The Price of Football “ podcast is well worth a listen .

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 172
Rik e B
January 21, 2020, 7:44am

Whiskey Drinker
So are we seventh like on the graph or way down below average?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 172
psgmariner
January 21, 2020, 8:26am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Quoted from Abdul19

I've tried reading his twitter feed but still don't understand what on earth that graph is showing. Why is there only a small selection of teams? Is it the top 9 spenders, the bottom 9 spenders or just a random collection? Think it may be to do with which ones have released their accounts but it's not clear. Also when someone asked what his source data was he has replied "people in the industry" .

I like the guy and find his posts interesting but for such an educated man some of the stuff he puts on Twitter is really surprising. Guess generating debate and snappy headlines sells though.

Private Message
Reply: 136 - 172
golfer
January 21, 2020, 8:40am
Vodka Drinker
I have degrees in cooking,jig-saw puzzles,hoovering up,taking dogs for walk, and William Shakespear 1066-1129, but to me this graph is not a graph in the true meaning because it doesn't show fkall
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 137 - 172
Abdul19
January 21, 2020, 8:45am

Season Ticket Holder
I assumed it was a random spread from top to bottom (based on last available accounts), but yes, it would be nice to know for sure.

(Also, me just assuming stuff is why I haven't worked as an accountant since my stint at itv digital.)

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 138 - 172
Tommy
January 21, 2020, 9:15am
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,859
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from toontown

That doesn't fit with the top 12 wages claim of fenty does it

TBF the graph says 2018 so it isn't for this season.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 139 - 172
Ipswin
January 21, 2020, 9:19am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Rodley Mariner

This thread suggests you probably do.

Far from it, (it is no secret that I didn't like the bloke) in fact the only strikers who played for town in recent times that I a) look out for and b) wish they were still at BP are Amond and Kayden Jackson (doing very well here in Ipswich incidentally)

Private Message
Reply: 140 - 172
psgmariner
January 21, 2020, 10:09am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.70
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,478
Quoted from golfer
I have degrees in cooking,jig-saw puzzles,hoovering up,taking dogs for walk, and William Shakespear 1066-1129, but to me this graph is not a graph in the true meaning because it doesn't show fkall

Bet there wasn't a lot to study for that degree.

Private Message
Reply: 141 - 172
Swansea_Mariner
January 21, 2020, 10:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,387
Gold Stars: 62
Why the interest in Kayden Jackson he was shite here, done well since but he didn't seem any better than a dozen other anonymous forwards who've played for town
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 142 - 172
Ipswin
January 21, 2020, 10:55am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Why the interest in Kayden Jackson he was shite here, done well since

I think you've answered your own question. He's done well since he left Town (and at a higher level) - tells a trained mind something.

I have little option but to show an interest, the local paper is full of him and Norwood every day especially since he started scoring again

Private Message
Reply: 143 - 172
golfer
January 21, 2020, 11:13am
Vodka Drinker
Anybody with an eye for the future would have seen the prospects in Jackson-but who did we have at BP to spot anything --we had a lot of shite in charge for quite a few years
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 144 - 172
KingstonMariner
January 21, 2020, 12:40pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

But he is still playing at our level. Like I said , it was his choice to leave, we didn't release him. He's gone , it's history and only conjecture if anybody thinks he could have scored goals for us like he has for the teams and set-ups that he has been with.

The point is he proved he can hack it at this level. Conjecture backed up with strong clues. Most likely we would have finished higher up the table with him than without.

As for it being his choice to leave, well it was Hobson’s choice wasn’t it? 1 year with us or 2 years somewhere else.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 145 - 172
grimsby pete
January 21, 2020, 12:57pm

Exile

The point is he proved he can hack it at this level. Conjecture backed up with strong clues. Most likely we would have finished higher up the table with him than without.

As for it being his choice to leave, well it was Hobson’s choice wasn’t it? 1 year with us or 2 years somewhere else.

Hurst offered Podge a 2 yr 6 month contract at Christmas but Podge wanted to wait until the end of the season before he made his mind up , Nothing wrong with that because he did not want to stay in the conference.

When we got promoted mainly because  of his goals Hurst then only offered a 1 year deal because he was drunk off at Podge not signing earlier,

So he left. Biggest mistake Town have made for many a year.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 146 - 172
arryarryarry
January 21, 2020, 2:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Swansea_Mariner
Why the interest in Kayden Jackson he was shite here, done well since but he didn't seem any better than a dozen other anonymous forwards who've played for town

Played as a lone striker or on the wing by Paul Hurst.
Private Message
Reply: 147 - 172
MarinerRob
January 21, 2020, 3:28pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +1,429
Gold Stars: 107
I'll always remember our first goal back in the league from Kayden.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 148 - 172
Kris2
January 21, 2020, 3:55pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from arryarryarry

Played as a lone striker or on the wing by Paul Hurst.

I don't really think Kayden Jackson knew what his role was supposed to be in the team while with us. I don't think anyone else at the club knew either...

He ran around a lot but looked lost during his loan spell.
Private Message
Reply: 149 - 172
KingstonMariner
January 21, 2020, 6:52pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from MarinerRob
I'll always remember our first goal back in the league from Kayden.

The release of pent up energy around the ground when that goal went in could have powered the National Grid. Whoosh!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 150 - 172
golfer
January 22, 2020, 7:38am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Hurst offered Podge a 2 yr 6 month contract at Christmas but Podge wanted to wait until the end of the season before he made his mind up , Nothing wrong with that because he did not want to stay in the conference.

When we got promoted mainly because  of his goals Hurst then only offered a 1 year deal because he was drunk off at Podge not signing earlier,

So he left. Biggest mistake Town have made for many a year.

1 year  6months Pete  not 2
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 151 - 172
rancido
January 22, 2020, 11:13am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from golfer

1 year  6months Pete  not 2

Correct. I don't know where this longer contract info comes from but there is no documented proof of this but there is for the shorter one. It is inconceivable that Amond would reject a 2 years + contract regardless of the reasons. Don't forget he dropped down to non - league when he joined us! If he wanted "guaranteed" league football then he'll wouldn't have joined us in the first place.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 152 - 172
Ipswin
January 22, 2020, 11:45am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from rancido

Correct. I don't know where this longer contract info comes from but there is no documented proof of this but there is for the shorter one. It is inconceivable that Amond would reject a 2 years + contract regardless of the reasons. Don't forget he dropped down to non - league when he joined us! If he wanted "guaranteed" league football then he'll wouldn't have joined us in the first place.

The last three posts just to towards proving my point No sodomist knows what happened, who offered what etc and we are still really in the dark how Amond slipped through our fingers. I don't know how many he has scored since the left (at Hartlepool and Newport) but I bet (excluding Bogle's 19) that its close to or even more than all our strikers combined have got in the same period

Private Message
Reply: 153 - 172
chipsandgravy
January 22, 2020, 11:59am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.19
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +3,538
Gold Stars: 34
16 pages on ex strikers that have moved on. Time for us now!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 154 - 172
KingstonMariner
January 22, 2020, 12:34pm
Meths Drinker
Quoted from rancido

The guy had to prove himself at our level (then) because he was being played out of position at his previous club. Widely discussed at the time.

It was also reported mid season in the local media that Hurst had offered Podge a two and a half year deal. Instead of having a two year offer (allowing for elapse of time) at the end of the season it was reduced to one year by Hurst.

It’s not inconceivable he would reject a two year plus deal with a non-league club when his goals had put him in the shop window for league clubs.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 155 - 172
GollyGTFC
January 22, 2020, 1:27pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Kris2

I don't really think Kayden Jackson knew what his role was supposed to be in the team while with us. I don't think anyone else at the club knew either...

He ran around a lot but looked lost during his loan spell.

He didn't look lost when he scored our first goal back in the EFL or when he ran down the left wing, turned back on to his right foot and put a cross in for Omar Bogle to score the winner away at Luton.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 156 - 172
golfer
January 22, 2020, 8:09pm
Vodka Drinker

Wish we had Jackson now
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 157 - 172
Teesknees
January 22, 2020, 8:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Approval: +1,596
Has Omar Bogle left Cardiff yet?.... seem to think someone somewhere said he might ffs!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 158 - 172
louth_in_the_south
January 23, 2020, 11:12am

Exile
The length of time and amount of tangents this threads gone on for he’s probably retired by now

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 159 - 172
Poojah
January 29, 2020, 6:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Joining Alan Pardew at Dutch club Ado Den Haag. Interesting move for him.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 160 - 172
Heisenberg
January 29, 2020, 10:29pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.79
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +4,816
Quoted from Poojah
Joining Alan Pardew at Dutch club Ado Den Haag. Interesting move for him.

Could be an amazing move for him. If he helps them stay up he could move to Feyenoord or something. You never know.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 161 - 172
diehardmariner
January 30, 2020, 11:49am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

He didn't look lost when he scored our first goal back in the EFL or when he ran down the left wing, turned back on to his right foot and put a cross in for Omar Bogle to score the winner away at Luton.

That's a bit like saying Chris Jones didn't look lost when one went in off his backside against Burton...
Private Message
Reply: 162 - 172
GollyGTFC
January 30, 2020, 12:08pm

Whiskey Drinker

That's a bit like saying Chris Jones didn't look lost when one went in off his backside against Burton...

Chris Jones wasn't sold for £2m within a year or so of leaving Town though did he?
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 163 - 172
smokey111
January 30, 2020, 9:59pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.27
Approval: +3,315
£2m!!!!! Nor was Bogle.

"The socialism I believe in is everybody working for the same goal and everybody having a share in the rewards. That’s how I see football, that’s how I see life.” Bill Shankly
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 164 - 172
Abdul19
January 30, 2020, 10:02pm

Season Ticket Holder
Nor Jackson!

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 165 - 172
Abdul19
January 30, 2020, 10:03pm

Season Ticket Holder
Wonder if Bogle will get the banner treatment:

[img]https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/2925465d426098f1d1c934e24c44f50161c0e433/0_201_4300_2580/master/4300.jpg?width=620&quality=85&auto=format&fit=max&s=a5ea22c2d3924530ba2f1ca7ced9f129[/img]

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 166 - 172
bobbyturtle
January 31, 2020, 12:29am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.77
Rep Score: +29 / -4
Approval: +954
will look for them on bt sport , if they have it

Icenian Prediction League 2015 (Game 2) winner
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 167 - 172
Mariner Timsky
January 31, 2020, 8:49am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
3 years ago today he left us , , , since then 5 clubs and 71 league games played scoring just 13 goals

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 168 - 172
norfuk mariner
January 31, 2020, 9:58am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +0 / -2
Approval: +200
Gold Stars: 2
Now confirmed on loan to end of season at Den Haag.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 169 - 172
TheRonRaffertyFanClub
January 31, 2020, 10:38am
Special Brew Drinker
Quoted from Mariner Timsky
3 years ago today he left us , , , since then 5 clubs and 71 league games played scoring just 13 goals

That is a very telling statistic isn’t it? It cannot be lack of ability so .....

Private Message
Reply: 170 - 172
diehardmariner
January 31, 2020, 11:19am
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GollyGTFC

Chris Jones wasn't sold for £2m within a year or so of leaving Town though did he?

No.  

But the point is Jackson was largely ineffective when he was here.  It was part of his learning curve to struggle here.  When we signed him, I remember Wrexham fans saying he was incredibly raw and the move to Barnsley was always too much of a jump in class for him.  

He won't be the first or last player to go to a club on loan, be totally ineffective and then suddenly burst into life soon after.  In no way did we do the wrong thing in not pursuing him, he had done nothing at all to justify any renewed interest from us.
Private Message
Reply: 171 - 172
Maringer
January 31, 2020, 11:20am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,141
Gold Stars: 180
Too high up the divisions, too fast. If he'd gone directly to a League One club when he was in form, he'd probably have banged a good few goals in. A struggling Championship team was always going to be a tricky place to make such a big step up. He'll probably get a bit more time on the ball in Holland so it could well be a good move for him.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 172 - 172
18 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar Bogle - set to leave Cardiff City in January.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.