Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar Bogle - set to leave Cardiff City in January.
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 236 Guests

Omar Bogle - set to leave Cardiff City in January.

This thread currently has 36,307 views. Print
18 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
January 17, 2020, 9:31am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,974
Gold Stars: 356
Quoted from Ipswin

Not while we've got strikers who can't hit a cows bottom with a banjo

We don't though do we? We've had some decent strikers but we could never give them the banjo close enough to the hit the cow's bottom.

2016/17 we had Bogle and Jackson who both went to the Championship for big fees.
2017/18 we had Matt who went to Newport and matched Amond goal for goal last season.
2018/19 we had Wes Thomas who had a slightly better goal per game ratio playing for us in the bottom half of the table than Amond managed at a play-off finalist.

The problem we've had since Bogle left is that we don't create enough chances.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 120 - 172
louth_in_the_south
January 17, 2020, 11:04am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +24 / -12
Approval: +5,655
Gold Stars: 94
Quoted from Northbank Mariner
Or worse still, what if he comes to the end of his Cardiff contract and he's got no takers/offers?...it's not being the realms of possibility that he'll end up in league 2 on £2.5k a week...

Oh my heart would bleed for the poor soul . What hardship that would be ...get me a hanky im welling up at the thought of it

Lower F5
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 172
Northbank Mariner
January 17, 2020, 11:49am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.76
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,443
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from louth_in_the_south

Oh my heart would bleed for the poor soul . What hardship that would be ...get me a hanky im welling up at the thought of it

That was kind of my point.  He's hanging on to circa £10k a week at the moment, not scoring, not performing yet will expect similar amounts when he's released...to me, he's not worth that kind of money and could end up in league 2 on circa £2.5k which ain't too shabby for a player who's not lived up to expectation outside of this league..too you and me that's mega money, the sort I can only dream of earning, yet Bogle believes he's entitled to more, someone please tell me why!!...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 172
Abdul19
January 17, 2020, 11:54am

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 3.41
Rep Score: +71 / -26
Approval: +17,514
Gold Stars: 215
Who knows what Bogle believes?

JESUS AT THE CENTRE
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 172
Ipswin
January 17, 2020, 12:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Abdul19
Who knows what Bogle believes?

I think he believes he's better than he really is but who cares anyway?

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 172
diehardmariner
January 17, 2020, 1:45pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,405
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from GollyGTFC
We had 2 better strikers at the club than Amond for the first half season back in the EFL.

We had Bogle who probably did better than expected and was sold on in January and we had Kayden Jackson who for some reason the work experience manager didn't like at all and sent back to Barnsley. How much did Accrington get for him when they flogged him to Ipswich?.

No we didn't.

We had Bogle who was outstanding for a three-month period, that can't be argued.  And we then had a very young and raw Kayden Jackson who was absolutely miles off the pace with what we expected.  His last (or one of) appearances for us was at Donny away, which still remains one of the most ineffectual displays from a front man I've ever seen in my life!  Maybe it was the kick up the bottom he needed, maybe he just didn't fit in here.  Regardless of the why, he just wasn't up to it here.  No doubting he's gone on from strength to strength since leaving but with the exception of that opening day display against Morecambe, he showed nothing to suggest he would go onto be a £1million player.

Amond didn't just score goals for that side.  He led the line.  His movement and know-how was a cut above and in my opinion something we've still not replaced.  The person we replaced him with to lead the line was Scott Vernon.  No disrespect to Scott, who is a nice bloke and was a good professional, but an absolute gulf in what Amond offered.

I don't hanker for former players just for the sake of it.  Most have left here because they weren't good enough.  But Amond is a player we go wrong and I would still have him back here tomorrow.  He's quite simply a very good player.
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 172
diehardmariner
January 17, 2020, 1:49pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,405
Gold Stars: 532
Quoted from KingstonMariner

I don't think anyone is claiming it was an all conquering side. It needed improvement but clearly Hurst lost/removed more good bits than bad. At least 6 of those players were clearly good enough for us in League 2.

The other thing that is hard to factor in is team spirit making the players play above themselves. So even if some of them have subsequently faded I reckon that keeping some of them may have helped keep that team spirit. And in League 2 you don't need to be that good to be in with a shout at the end of the season.

Genuinely curious who those 6 are?

The likes of Toto, Tait, Nolan...they would all have stepped up with ease.  But we didn't have that option.  They wanted to leave/play at a higher level/got contracts we couldn't compete with.

Team spirit is a good thing but I never doubted Hurst's ability to build a dressing room.  It was his strong point.  Year on year he managed to have a mini overhaul but the dressing room spirit remained or got stronger.

I still think Hurst did the right thing in trying to improve the team, he just failed to do it and actually weakened the team in the process.
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 172
rancido
January 17, 2020, 4:43pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from diehardmariner

Genuinely curious who those 6 are?

The likes of Toto, Tait, Nolan...they would all have stepped up with ease.  But we didn't have that option.  They wanted to leave/play at a higher level/got contracts we couldn't compete with.

Team spirit is a good thing but I never doubted Hurst's ability to build a dressing room.  It was his strong point.  Year on year he managed to have a mini overhaul but the dressing room spirit remained or got stronger.

I still think Hurst did the right thing in trying to improve the team, he just failed to do it and actually weakened the team in the process.

So what did we get wrong about Amond? He left to go to a club that got relegated and is now playing for a club at the same level as us. If he was so good he would have been snapped up by a club at a higher level. I don't get all this love-in with him. He is just a half decent striker, who had a decent season with us non - league, who has found his level. He rejected us, don't forget, not the other way round.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 172
KingstonMariner
January 17, 2020, 11:26pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Quoted from rancido

So what did we get wrong about Amond? He left to go to a club that got relegated and is now playing for a club at the same level as us. If he was so good he would have been snapped up by a club at a higher level. I don't get all this love-in with him. He is just a half decent striker, who had a decent season with us non - league, who has found his level. He rejected us, don't forget, not the other way round.

Simple really. His scoring record over the first three seasons back in the League was better than anyone else we had, bar Bogle.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 172
rancido
January 18, 2020, 12:26pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,527
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from KingstonMariner

Simple really. His scoring record over the first three seasons back in the League was better than anyone else we had, bar Bogle.

But he is still playing at our level. Like I said , it was his choice to leave, we didn't release him. He's gone , it's history and only conjecture if anybody thinks he could have scored goals for us like he has for the teams and set-ups that he has been with.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 172
18 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar Bogle - set to leave Cardiff City in January.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.