Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar Bogle - set to leave Cardiff City in January.
Users Browsing Forum
Googlebot and 329 Guests

Omar Bogle - set to leave Cardiff City in January.

This thread currently has 36,127 views. Print
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
GollyGTFC
January 14, 2020, 1:21pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
We had 2 better strikers at the club than Amond for the first half season back in the EFL.

We had Bogle who probably did better than expected and was sold on in January and we had Kayden Jackson who for some reason the work experience manager didn't like at all and sent back to Barnsley. How much did Accrington get for him when they flogged him to Ipswich?

At the time not keeping Amond was correct. A year later and beyond and we could have done with him and his goals. Having said that he hasn't done much good for Newport in League Two has he? There still in the same league as us aren't they?

In 2 and a half seasons in L2 at Newport he's scored 13, 14 (level with Matt) and 7 so far this season.

34 (including 2 penalties) L2 goals in 101 starts and 11 sub appearances is good, but it's not prolific is it?

Last season he managed 14 in 43 L2 starts. Wes Thomas got 11 goals in 33 L2 starts. So last season he was averaging just below Wes Thomas in goals per game.

He did great for us in the National League, but I'm not pining for him to return.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 90 - 172
January 14, 2020, 2:02pm
Guest User
Quoted from GollyGTFC
We had 2 better strikers at the club than Amond for the first half season back in the EFL.

We had Bogle who probably did better than expected and was sold on in January and we had Kayden Jackson who for some reason the work experience manager didn't like at all and sent back to Barnsley. How much did Accrington get for him when they flogged him to Ipswich?

At the time not keeping Amond was correct. A year later and beyond and we could have done with him and his goals. Having said that he hasn't done much good for Newport in League Two has he? There still in the same league as us aren't they?

In 2 and a half seasons in L2 at Newport he's scored 13, 14 (level with Matt) and 7 so far this season.

34 (including 2 penalties) L2 goals in 101 starts and 11 sub appearances is good, but it's not prolific is it?

Last season he managed 14 in 43 L2 starts. Wes Thomas got 11 goals in 33 L2 starts. So last season he was averaging just below Wes Thomas in goals per game.

He did great for us in the National League, but I'm not pining for him to return.

???

If I was a club chairman and my manager said he wasn't fussed about keeping a 37-goal striker, I'd keep the striker and change the manager.

Your league goal stats overlook Podge's serial scoring in the FA Cup, often against higher-level opposition.

I'm not pining for his return either (because he wouldn't come back), but we were crazy to let him go on Paul 'Parslow Sub' Hurst's opinion.
Reply: 91 - 172
Maringer
January 14, 2020, 2:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
I'd have kept Amond upon our return to the League but could understand why Hurst didn't. Fact is, he just didn't score against the better teams when we played them in the Conference. Now, he's obviously a clever footballer, so it may be that our approach play was just a little too limited to create enough chances against the better teams. Regardless of who was playing up front, our record against those teams who finished above us wasn't very good at all and we certainly limped over the line that season but then we had deserved to be promoted the previous year before being cheated by the failings of the referee in the play-off final.

My guess is that Hurst had a bigger 'name' striker lined up which is why he didn't work too hard to keep Amond. That must have fallen through considering that we ended up with Vernon leading the line instead! Jackson just didn't look ready that season despite his slightly fortunate goal in the opening game. Did well at Accrington, obviously, but hasn't really kicked on since then it must be said.

As for Bogle, during that half season in the League, he hit some real form and was playing much better than I thought he would be capable of, despite his decent record in the Conference. He often didn't seem to know what he should be doing or where he should be standing during that promotion season but it really clicked the next year. I agree with those who think the move was too high, too soon for him. If he'd stayed with us for the whole season and bagged himself 35+ goals (which is quite possible the way he was playing), he'd have got his big money move to a Championship club which wasn't struggling so much and his career may well have developed better. At his current age, he ought to be looking to join one of the stronger League Two/League One clubs to start scoring goals again and give himself another chance at a higher level once he's found some form. Don't think we classify as a stronger L2 club at present, unfortunately.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 172
GollyGTFC
January 14, 2020, 4:23pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.68
Rep Score: +19 / -11
Approval: +5,926
Gold Stars: 347
Quoted from 137

???

If I was a club chairman and my manager said he wasn't fussed about keeping a 37-goal striker, I'd keep the striker and change the manager.

Your league goal stats overlook Podge's serial scoring in the FA Cup, often against higher-level opposition.

I'm not pining for his return either (because he wouldn't come back), but we were crazy to let him go on Paul 'Parslow Sub' Hurst's opinion.

He's not a 37 goal striker though is he? And he wasn't when we offered him a crap deal after promotion, At the time he was a 28-year-old striker who had previously played in League Two and hadn't made enough of an impact to remain there or even play regularly enough.

You can understand why Hurst and the club felt Bogle & Kayden Jackson were the correct way to go. It's just a shame we didn't sign Jackson.

And re: Podge having scored 15 cup goals in 20 starts in the FA Cup, EFL Cup & EFL Trophy. If we had a player banging in goals at that rate in the cup competitions but not in the league we'd be fuming. The league is all that really matters.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 93 - 172
rancido
January 14, 2020, 4:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,448
Gold Stars: 91
Quoted from 137

???

Then why have a manager if the Chairman decides who is in the squad? Amond was offered 2 deals and turned them down. He followed the money to join the mighty Hartlepool, his decision probably influenced by his agent. He could have stayed and proved himself at Grimsby but chose to prove himself elsewhere.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 172
Mariner Timsky
January 16, 2020, 7:25am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.43
Rep Score: +5 / 0
Approval: +1,535
Gold Stars: 4
Bogle just a bench filler - on the bench last night v Carlisle

Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Stand Up For The Mariners!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 172
supertown
January 16, 2020, 8:25am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +25 / -9
Approval: +3,415
Gold Stars: 53
I was gutted when Amond was allowed to leave/chose to leave. Silly decision either way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 172
TownSNAFU5
January 16, 2020, 8:46am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,773
Gold Stars: 41
Even with the benefit of hindsight,  the decisions made over different strikers, at the time, do not look too bad.

If strikers want to leave (Amond) and do not sign a 2 year contract, then there is little that the club could have done.  We need players who want to come here and/or stay here.

Jackson did not good enough at the time.  There was little to see that suggested that he would improve considerably.  As a young player his development could just have stalled.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 172
Jarmo.Is.God
January 16, 2020, 9:20am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +6,051
Gold Stars: 86
Quoted from TownSNAFU5
Even with the benefit of hindsight,  the decisions made over different strikers, at the time, do not look too bad.

If strikers want to leave (Amond) and do not sign a 2 year contract, then there is little that the club could have done.  We need players who want to come here and/or stay here.

Jackson did not good enough at the time.  There was little to see that suggested that he would improve considerably.  As a young player his development could just have stalled.

I thought the problem with Amond was, that he wanted a 2 year deal, but we was only offering a 1year?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 172
Ipswin
January 16, 2020, 9:26am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.11
Rep Score: +44 / -47
Approval: -3,552
Gold Stars: 89
Quoted from Jarmo.Is.God

I thought the problem with Amond was, that he wanted a 2 year deal, but we was only offering a 1year?

That's what appears to be the favourite story whether it is accurate or not we don't know as the club as uaual has kept us in the dark. Given the criticism the apparent decision to let him slip through our fingers caused (and still is causing) I would have thought the club might have been more open about it. water under the bridge now of course unfortunately but we could have done with his goals (and still could)

On bended knee is no way to be free - Peter R de Vries

https://www.linkedin.com/pulse.....=public_profile_post
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 172
18 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Omar Bogle - set to leave Cardiff City in January.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.