Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Next Town manager ?
Moderators: Moderator
Users Browsing Forum

Next Town manager ?

This thread currently has 323,997 views. Print
204 Pages Prev ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... Next All Recommend Thread
WayneBurnettsJockstrap
November 23, 2023, 1:12pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.77
Rep Score: +10 / -2
Approval: +888
Gold Stars: 122
Quoted from Marinerdan
David Artell is now odds on favourite, second favourite is Pearson at 6-1.

Probably means nothing as we’ve had 3 or 4 other Odds on favourites who are now out of the running.

But are they? How many teams who have recently appointed new Managers have employed the person who was favourite with the bookies? None of them!

Names get banded round left right and centre, they appear in the bookies list, they disappear from the bookies list, but in reality, behind the scenes, do they ever go away? We don't know. Those early candidates named in the lists could well be the names that JS has interviewed.

If JS was starting to look for a new Manager/Management team straight after PH departure, and having admitted in an interview that there were some very good names who had applied, I think he will have started his initial interviews pretty early on, even if it was just to discount some people. Unless, in the ensuing weeks, there has been any other superior candidates who have become available, and who have tossed their hats into the ring, then I think JS will eventually opt for one of the original applicants. Personally, I don't think SP/BD should be given the job, BUT SP could very well step up to the Assistant Manager/Scout job, while Ben returns to coaching.

I think the problem is that all the 'old school' Managers just want to manage, like in days of old, rather than relying on all this behind the scenes data balderdash and player stats etc etc. How on earth did they manage it (no pun intended) back before the use of computers? It was all down to what the Manager wanted and did. There are too many peoples input behind the scenes now.

I would think that because JS lives away from Grimsby, that any interviews have been conducted wherever he is either working or living, which has led to the 'no clues whatsoever' scenario locally.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1670 - 2034
RichMariner
November 23, 2023, 1:48pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,161
Gold Stars: 211
I know that JS lives over in Manchester and agree interviews may not have even taken place in Grimsby. But, given how important the community and the town is to this football club, and the owners, I'd be amazed if they appointed someone without even showing them the ground, the facilities, or the local area.

Managers need to sell themselves, but may also need to sell ourselves to managers (because didn't JS say they were working on people who may not have applied?).

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 1671 - 2034
rancido
November 23, 2023, 2:30pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,655
Gold Stars: 100

But are they? How many teams who have recently appointed new Managers have employed the person who was favourite with the bookies? None of them!

Names get banded round left right and centre, they appear in the bookies list, they disappear from the bookies list, but in reality, behind the scenes, do they ever go away? We don't know. Those early candidates named in the lists could well be the names that JS has interviewed.

If JS was starting to look for a new Manager/Management team straight after PH departure, and having admitted in an interview that there were some very good names who had applied, I think he will have started his initial interviews pretty early on, even if it was just to discount some people. Unless, in the ensuing weeks, there has been any other superior candidates who have become available, and who have tossed their hats into the ring, then I think JS will eventually opt for one of the original applicants. Personally, I don't think SP/BD should be given the job, BUT SP could very well step up to the Assistant Manager/Scout job, while Ben returns to coaching.

I think the problem is that all the 'old school' Managers just want to manage, like in days of old, rather than relying on all this behind the scenes data balderdash and player stats etc etc. How on earth did they manage it (no pun intended) back before the use of computers? It was all down to what the Manager wanted and did. There are too many peoples input behind the scenes now.

I would think that because JS lives away from Grimsby, that any interviews have been conducted wherever he is either working or living, which has led to the 'no clues whatsoever' scenario locally.

Sadly this Luddite approach is still widespread, especially with older posters and I'm 75. You need a well structured back-room staff and support for a modern football manager to progress. Sure, the "old school managers" never had this but football, like everything else in the world , has progressed and every aid available should be utilised.
The modern football club manager shouldn't been weighed down with all the trivial admin and day to day running of the club. He should be free to concentrate on the team - how to improve it, who would make it perform better and how to correct things when they go wrong.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1672 - 2034
Son of Cod
November 23, 2023, 2:59pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.92
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,331
Gold Stars: 196
People saying Artell knows how to work on a budget because he took Crewe up should be paraphrasing that by adding he also had an extremely talented bunch of youngsters (probably the best the fourth tier has ever seen) at his disposal. Which is encouraging in some ways, especially if we're looking at bringing the likes of Cam Gardner through in the next few years, but it should also be factored in when we're looking at his achievements to date. He's not gonna have the likes of Tom Lowery, Harry Pickering, Ryan Wintle, Charlie Kirk and Owen Dale on £300 p/w supplementing the wage budget at Grimsby.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1673 - 2034
DB
November 23, 2023, 3:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.41
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,054
Gold Stars: 391
The one thing that most on here, including myself, till now is what about the players? What sort of turmoil must some of them be going through, wondering if the new manager will accept them, or not?

Will he want his own backroom staff or take on the existing members? Whilst all appear to be working to their professional best at the moment, wanting to impress the new man in waiting, I'm sure many will have some doubts at the back of their minds.

I wish them all well.

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1674 - 2034
The Dogs Testicles
November 23, 2023, 3:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.36
Approval: -108
Gold Stars: 17
Quoted from DB
The one thing that most on here, including myself, till now is what about the players? What sort of turmoil must some of them be going through, wondering if the new manager will accept them, or not?

Will he want his own backroom staff or take on the existing members? Whilst all appear to be working to their professional best at the moment, wanting to impress the new man in waiting, I'm sure many will have some doubts at the back of their minds.

I wish them all well.

Or maybe the new Manager/s ARE the back room staff? 🫤

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1675 - 2034
pontoonlew
November 23, 2023, 3:19pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,091
Gold Stars: 178
Quoted from Son of Cod
People saying Artell knows how to work on a budget because he took Crewe up should be paraphrasing that by adding he also had an extremely talented bunch of youngsters (probably the best the fourth tier has ever seen) at his disposal. Which is encouraging in some ways, especially if we're looking at bringing the likes of Cam Gardner through in the next few years, but it should also be factored in when we're looking at his achievements to date. He's not gonna have the likes of Tom Lowey, Harry Pickering, Ryan Wintle, Charlie Kirk and Owen Dale on £300 p/w supplementing the wage budget at Grimsby.

This is the only thing that worries me about Artell, he wasn’t able to be exactly very active in the transfer market and was blessed with one of the best youth set ups in the whole EFL.

I think it’ll be a solid enough appointment but not one without its question marks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1676 - 2034
Mikey_345
November 23, 2023, 3:23pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.32
Rep Score: +12 / -1
Approval: +5,568
Gold Stars: 107
Quoted from Son of Cod
People saying Artell knows how to work on a budget because he took Crewe up should be paraphrasing that by adding he also had an extremely talented bunch of youngsters (probably the best the fourth tier has ever seen) at his disposal. Which is encouraging in some ways, especially if we're looking at bringing the likes of Cam Gardner through in the next few years, but it should also be factored in when we're looking at his achievements to date. He's not gonna have the likes of Tom Lowey, Harry Pickering, Ryan Wintle, Charlie Kirk and Owen Dale on £300 p/w supplementing the wage budget at Grimsby.

Whilst that is undoubtedly true, having them and making them into players and a team capable of promotion so early in their career are two separate things mate.

All Town aren’t we

@GTFCLondon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1677 - 2034
LocalLadGTFC
November 23, 2023, 3:26pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,324
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from Son of Cod

That's true, but he also was the head of the academy responsible for bringing those sorts of players through before being given the managers job.  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 1678 - 2034
ska face
November 23, 2023, 3:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.21
Rep Score: +60 / -14
Approval: +21,779
Gold Stars: 851
They need to have this wrapped up sharpish so I can get into telling the new manager to “change it” and “get a grip” ASAP.
Private Message
Reply: 1679 - 2034
204 Pages Prev ... 158 159 160 161 162 163 164 165 166 167 168 169 170 171 172 173 174 175 176 177 178 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Next Town manager ?

Thread Rating

There have been 1 votes for this thread.

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.