Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › General election
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 233 Guests

General election

This thread currently has 36,681 views. Print
39 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Maringer
May 31, 2017, 6:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,496
Gold Stars: 185
I'd refute much of what you say, Skrill, but don't have the time at the moment. Perhaps later.

One quick thing to mention is to try and claim Corbyn is anything but a moderate social democrat is just daft. As I've noted in the past, many of his policies wouldn't have been too much out of place in a Conservative Party manifesto from the 1970s before the neoliberal nonsense started up.

As regards the low skilled immigrants thing, I'm pretty sure that all parties realise that some sort of scheme will be required if we're not going to have the produce rotting in the fields and on the farms. In fact, I'd guess you can probably find the Tories mentioning something about this if you have a quick search around. We've been reliant on immigrants to do these tough yet relatively low-paid labouring jobs for years and don't have the workers with the willing to do them.

I see that Corbyn is going to the debate tonight after all, as I suspected he might. On the plus side, he'll get to present himself to more of the public and to show what a personable sort of chap he is. Also the opportunity to note that May is chicken during the remainder of the campaign.

On the down side, the Tories, LibDems, Kippers and SNP will all be slinging mud his way either to protect their own vote or attempt to reduce his. Expect all sorts of veiled insults from the hopeless Amber Rudd and even worse Nuttall.

A bit of a gamble on the behalf of Labour but I suppose it's a make or break moment for their election.

For what it's worth, I'm not a fan of these debates which are mostly a gimmick in my eyes, copied from the Yanks. No surprise that the media jumped all over them, however. I only hope the moderator is fair - anybody count how many times Paxman interrupted Corbyn in comparison to May the other night?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 190 - 385
grimsby pete
May 31, 2017, 6:40pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
Quoted from Maringer

Erm, why would the German manufacturers suddenly begin to build cars outside of Germany when their factories, workforce and suppliers are there already? That's an utterly bonkers theory, I'm afraid! VW own Seat which builds cars in Spain, Skoda, which builds cars in Czechia, Lamborghini which builds cars in Italy, Bugatti which builds cars in France and their only UK interest is Bentley whose output is miniscule in comparison to the mass market producers. It would take some hefty government 'assistance' for any major manufacturer to take the plunge and begin building in the UK, especially after Brexit. Nope - not going to happen. I'd imagine that all of the Japanese manufacturers who have factories here will get plenty of government 'assistance' to ensure they stay, but keeping existing factories open is a rather different proposition to actually building new ones.

I did say in the bit you did not quote that if no deal was made,

So do you think the German car Industry will just lose all the trade they have with us at present,

Don't forget if no trade agreement is made we will not be able to buy their cars,

Also company's like Nissan have agreed a big expansion plan for Sunderland,

AND

Ryan air who said they would move to Europe if we voted out have just agreed big expansion plans for Stansted

So don't believe anything you hear or what people have said in the past..

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 191 - 385
mariner91
May 31, 2017, 7:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,641
Gold Stars: 261
Quoted from grimsby pete

I did say in the bit you did not quote that if no deal was made,

So do you think the German car Industry will just lose all the trade they have with us at present,

Don't forget if no trade agreement is made we will not be able to buy their cars,

Also company's like Nissan have agreed a big expansion plan for Sunderland,

AND

Ryan air who said they would move to Europe if we voted out have just agreed big expansion plans for Stansted

So don't believe anything you hear or what people have said in the past..

I'm not sure you know what the trade deal is about. If there isn't a deal, it doesn't mean we can't trade with them. It would just mean there would be taxes, tariffs or other obstacles on any trade made. They could still trade here, it just wouldn't be a free market like it is currently. So yes, the German companies might take a bit of a hit with their profits. However, their economy overall would take a much larger hit if the EU was to disintegrate. So as Maringer said previously, it is absolutely in their interests for us to not get a good deal because if other countries see you can do as well or better from not being in the EU, they'll all start leaving. We're going to be the example they make and it's not going to be good for us. The idea that they might spend hundreds of millions, if not billions, on building new factories in this country just so they could enter this one market is absurd.

Exports to the EU made up 12% of the value of the British economy in 2015 which was actually lower than it is usually. In contrast, exports from the EU to the UK made up less than 4% of the remainder of the EU's economy. As much as our economy is big, it is dwarfed by the size of the EU's when they're all added together so we very much need them more than they need us. Coupled with the reasons Maringer mentioned about them not wanting to give us a good deal so others don't leave and there is no way your hopes of May "bluffing" would work.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 192 - 385
grimsby pete
May 31, 2017, 7:57pm

Exile
Quoted from mariner91

I'm not sure you know what the trade deal is about. If there isn't a deal, it doesn't mean we can't trade with them. It would just mean there would be taxes, tariffs or other obstacles on any trade made. They could still trade here, it just wouldn't be a free market like it is currently. So yes, the German companies might take a bit of a hit with their profits. However, their economy overall would take a much larger hit if the EU was to disintegrate. So as Maringer said previously, it is absolutely in their interests for us to not get a good deal because if other countries see you can do as well or better from not being in the EU, they'll all start leaving. We're going to be the example they make and it's not going to be good for us. The idea that they might spend hundreds of millions, if not billions, on building new factories in this country just so they could enter this one market is absurd.

Exports to the EU made up 12% of the value of the British economy in 2015 which was actually lower than it is usually. In contrast, exports from the EU to the UK made up less than 4% of the remainder of the EU's economy. As much as our economy is big, it is dwarfed by the size of the EU's when they're all added together so we very much need them more than they need us. Coupled with the reasons Maringer mentioned about them not wanting to give us a good deal so others don't leave and there is no way your hopes of May "bluffing" would work.

Another one who has not read my previous post,

I did mention how many cars would we buy from them of they put 10% tax on top.

I am fully aware what a trade deal means young man but some of you doom mongers fear the worse,

It will not happen , yes we might or probably  will have to pay to get a good deal,

Sending the EU a few million a week to trade is better than sending them 350 million every week,

Lets see what happens at the end of the 2 year period,

My money is on May saying yes we have a good deal but it will cost us  X amount a week,

BUT

It is worth it so we can trade as before.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 193 - 385
mariner91
May 31, 2017, 8:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Another one who has not read my previous post,

I did mention how many cars would we buy from them of they put 10% tax on top.

I am fully aware what a trade deal means young man but some of you doom mongers fear the worse,

It will not happen , yes we might or probably  will have to pay to get a good deal,

Sending the EU a few million a week to trade is better than sending them 350 million every week,

Lets see what happens at the end of the 2 year period,

My money is on May saying yes we have a good deal but it will cost us  X amount a week,

BUT

It is worth it so we can trade as before.

You said and I quote "Don't forget if no trade agreement is made we will not be able to buy their cars," which is simply untrue so you'll forgive me if I was sceptical about you knowing what a trade deal involves.

I see you're still believing the £350 million a week boll0cks which has been debunked hundreds of times but then why not believe everything a bias right-wing media tells you?

Once again, we will not get a good agreement where we save a load of money, have no other things to agree to and still get free trade with the EU. It won't happen for the reasons that Maringer has mentioned and I've mentioned. Yet you never seem to discuss this, you just blindly believe that we'll get a great deal, you are literally the Leave campaign and the Tories dream voter.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 194 - 385
zorro_is_a_Mariner
May 31, 2017, 8:17pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.59
Rep Score: +30 / -6
Approval: +1,369
Gold Stars: 4
Looking bad for the Tories based on this programme. I can only see there lead slipping further.

Gtfc all the way
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 195 - 385
LH
May 31, 2017, 9:23pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,504
Gold Stars: 173
Imagine if the "strong and stable leader" didn't even bother turning up to a leadership debate. Oh - it actually happened? And there are morons around who are still willing to vote for her?
Private Message
Reply: 196 - 385
grimsby pete
May 31, 2017, 9:26pm

Exile
Quoted from mariner91

You said and I quote "Don't forget if no trade agreement is made we will not be able to buy their cars," which is simply untrue so you'll forgive me if I was sceptical about you knowing what a trade deal involves.

I see you're still believing the £350 million a week boll0cks which has been debunked hundreds of times but then why not believe everything a bias right-wing media tells you?

Please enlighten me then Lefty how we can buy there cars if we do not have a trade agreement.

You vote for Corbyn if you like but there is not enough people daft enough to put him in power to bankrupt  the country by the end of their term in office.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 197 - 385
mariner91
May 31, 2017, 9:56pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

Please enlighten me then Lefty how we can buy there cars if we do not have a trade agreement.

You vote for Corbyn if you like but there is not enough people daft enough to put him in power to bankrupt  the country by the end of their term in office.

Bankrupt the country?! You realise the Tories have nearly doubled the national debt, increased the national debt as a percentage of the GDP and have borrowed more in the last 7 years than all Labour governments have done in history accumulated with inflation taken in to account?  

Once again you've proven that you haven't the slightest idea what the trade agreement means in the case of the European Union. Countries trade with each other all the time, very few prohibit trade between one another so the idea that not having a "trade agreement" means we'll literally do no trade with Germany etc is the sort of thing a child would believe. Here's a link if you fancy educating yourself: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/business-35473279

If you can't be arsed to read it, and judging by your blind following of right wing propaganda such as the £350 million a week quote I'd say that's likely, trade agreements remove barriers to trade across international borders. You do not need a trade agreement for trade to occur but countries make them to improve the prospects of their companies selling overseas.

So if no trade agreement is reached we can still buy German cars. We'll do this by the German car manufacturers importing their cars into the UK and once here, they'll be displayed in car dealerships. Then people who are looking to buy a new car will go to one of these dealerships. Once they've arrived, they'll be shown the various models on offer and the salespeople will try to persuade them to buy a car from them. If they find a car they like, they'll find a way of paying for it such as a loan or, if they're lucky, with cash and they can drive away from the dealership with a brand new German made car. If there is no trade agreement then there will be added costs for doing this which the German car company must decide whether to add on to the price and risk selling less cars or they could take the hit themselves and lower their profit margins but hope they sell enough to make up for that. Has that enlightened you?

Being called "lefty" is hilarious from a self proclaimed "lifelong Labour man".
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 198 - 385
ginnywings
May 31, 2017, 10:00pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,122
Gold Stars: 548
Yeah, but there will be less immigrants.......
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 199 - 385
39 Pages Prev ... 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › General election

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.