Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › General election
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 211 Guests

General election

This thread currently has 36,642 views. Print
39 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next All Recommend Thread
KingstonMariner
May 31, 2017, 10:37pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Pete, I would stop digging if I were you mate. You keep saying no trade deal will mean no German cars sold, then when someone points out that's not correct you say you didn't say that. Then say it again!

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 200 - 385
LH
May 31, 2017, 10:38pm

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,459
Gold Stars: 172
Deja vu. 🤔
Private Message
Reply: 201 - 385
KingstonMariner
May 31, 2017, 11:05pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
Thanks for the reminder LH. They're showing Unspun which I missed because of Combat Dealers.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 202 - 385
Cloudy
June 1, 2017, 10:17am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
I dont profess to be an expert of politics or even close but in essence i have the long held view on the two major parties;

Labour will normally increase taxes so that they can provide a higher level of state controlled services whereby the Tories will try and lower taxes to give you more money in your pocket to make your own choices about what you pay for, be it health care or whatever.

You pays your money and make your choice.

I also am of the view that the Tory election campaign has been a disaster. They havent said much at all other than the slogan of strong and stable.

On the other hand Labour have promised all things to all men. To my mind they couldnt possibly deliver on  many of them.

I believe that the primary issue IS brexit because if we dont get that right then there will be no money for any improvements in other areas.

I am sure those with more knowledge than i will be able to dissect my views but as very much a lay person this is the way i see it
Private Message
Reply: 203 - 385
grimsby pete
June 1, 2017, 10:27am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
So according to 91 we do not need a trade agreement to buy German cars , so I think May should stay at home and not bother trying to get one,

I don't think I am wrong if no deal is made then tariffs will be put on any deal so as I have said several times a tax will be put on the cars and the Germans will sell less,

The only thing 91 has said differently to me is the Germans will decide if they want to add the tax or take the hit themselves,

As for calling him a lefty anybody that supports Corbyn must be a bit left wing don't you think.

Anyway if he gets in enjoy the moment because you will pay for it later.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 204 - 385
grimsby pete
June 1, 2017, 10:33am

Exile
My final word on the subject,

You do not get anything in life for free,

So free uni, free nursery, free meals, free social care free this free that,

Somebody has to pay.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 205 - 385
ginnywings
June 1, 2017, 10:50am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Pete, ask yourself a question. Could we buy German cars before we became a member of the EU?

Also, yes you are correct that someone has to pay for everything and that is what taxes are for. The difference between the parties is the distribution of wealth, pure and simple. The top 1% of the population now hold more of the wealth than at any time in history. We are the 5th richest nation on earth and there is enough money to pay for everything if we have the will to do so. The Tories don't and never will.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 206 - 385
mariner91
June 1, 2017, 11:11am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,578
Gold Stars: 260
Quoted from grimsby pete
So according to 91 we do not need a trade agreement to buy German cars , so I think May should stay at home and not bother trying to get one,

I don't think I am wrong if no deal is made then tariffs will be put on any deal so as I have said several times a tax will be put on the cars and the Germans will sell less,

The only thing 91 has said differently to me is the Germans will decide if they want to add the tax or take the hit themselves,

As for calling him a lefty anybody that supports Corbyn must be a bit left wing don't you think.

Anyway if he gets in enjoy the moment because you will pay for it later.

That's not even an opinion, it is a fact that we don't need a trade agreement to buy them. It would make it cheaper and easier for everyone involved but trade would continue if we don't get an agreement, albeit likely at a lower level. I think you're extremely confused and don't fully understand any of the problems, you're even contradicting yourself in the same post?! You've said in one sentence that a trade agreement is needed to buy the cars at all.  Then in the very next sentence you've said that without one tariffs would be put on to the price so the Germans would sell less. Well which is it? It can't be both!

As I've pointed out previously, the percentage of exports from here to the EU far outstrips their percentage of exports to us so we need a deal more than they need one. If you can't see that and truly believe that no agreement would mean no trade at all then I give up. If that were true, we'd be screwed because we'd instantly lose 13% of our GDP. Yes we are the third biggest destination for German exports but as previously explained although you fail to either notice or acknowledge it, there are other factors that are far more important to them than trade with us. Don't believe me? Here's the evidence: http://uk.businessinsider.com/.....2016-7?r=US&IR=T

My derision at you calling me a lefty was the fact that you have previously called yourself  a "lifelong labour man" so it's all a bit pot and kettle don't you think?

If the Tories get in, enjoy knowing you've made your grandchildren's lives much more difficult and that they will live with the consequences of a severely under-invested infrastructure. They will pay for it later.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 207 - 385
grimsby pete
June 1, 2017, 11:11am

Exile
Quoted from ginnywings
Pete, ask yourself a question. Could we buy German cars before we became a member of the EU?

Also, yes you are correct that someone has to pay for everything and that is what taxes are for. The difference between the parties is the distribution of wealth, pure and simple. The top 1% of the population now hold more of the wealth than at any time in history. We are the 5th richest nation on earth and there is enough money to pay for everything if we have the will to do so. The Tories don't and never will.

My point Ginny was if we got no deal we would not be able to buy their cars without a heavy tax put on them,

In my old age I do not explain myself very well,

BUT

I do know this mate,

Corbyn, Abbott and Macdonald will ruin this country if they got in,

If you keep hitting the company's and so called higher earners with more and more tax they will go elsewhere,

We will be back to high inflation and that is no good to nobody,

I did say on my last post that was my final word on the subject but I have replied to you because I respect your views.

I might be showing early  signs of losing my marbles and if that is the case I will see no problem in having to pay towards my care,

Unlike some on here who want everything for free.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 208 - 385
ginnywings
June 1, 2017, 11:15am

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Fair enough Pete. I think you are wrong about the Labour party but hey, it's a democracy and everyone has a different opinion.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 209 - 385
39 Pages Prev ... 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 19 20 21 22 23 24 25 26 27 28 29 30 31 ... Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › General election

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.