codcheeky
June 12, 2017, 6:19pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from Maringer
No, they wouldn't. They didn't need any wheelbarrows for the £453 billion of QE created to stop the banks from collapsing and support the economy, because it never existed in paper form. Created with the addition of a number on a spreadsheet - Magic Money Tree-tastic.

Student loan book, though substantial, represents a fraction of the amount of the money created by QE to prop up the banks, and the people who have done best from this money creation are the already wealthy.

It would be nice if the next time QE is required (probably during the Brexit recession), some of it instead goes to those with these loans who only have the debt because they were unlucky enough to be born at a different time to those who didn't have to pay university fees.

This may be complicated by the Tories selling on loans, often without consent to debt companies
Private Message
Reply: 380 - 385
Maringer
June 12, 2017, 7:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
Nah - we could easily legislate to, erm, 'encourage' the private companies to sell them back. That said, providing these companies were to make a hefty short-term profit from any deal, I'd be amazed if they turned down the chance to get a guaranteed pay-off. They will only have estimates about how many of the loans will actually be paid back - get near matching that figure then take a bit off and they would snap the government's hands off. Guaranteed payback years ahead of time and factoring the savings made from not having to chase the payments and they would be quids in.

Utterly stupid that the Tories sold them off in the first place, of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 381 - 385
grimsby pete
June 13, 2017, 10:26am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
The date of the next election is ?????????

My  guess is before the end of the brexit talks,

So May 2018 maybe October 2018,

What is your guess ?

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 382 - 385
Maringer
June 13, 2017, 11:40am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,140
Gold Stars: 180
No flipping idea, Pete. Could well be this year, but I reckon it's more likely to drag on until early 2018. Depends how loony the DUP become and whether it kicks off in Northern Ireland once again, I suppose.

Also, how many knives May finds embedded in her back from the backbenchers.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 383 - 385
ginnywings
July 3, 2017, 4:57pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.05
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +55,972
Gold Stars: 537
Left here on polling day to go on holiday, fully convinced i would be coming back to a Tory government, while hoping that enough of the electorate could see through the May and co bullsh1t to throw a massive spanner in the works, and lo and behold, that is what happened. Now the Tories are desperately clinging to power with the help of a bunch of racist, mysogynist, homophobic, religious nutters and seem to have found a billion pounds down the back of the sofa. I've not stopped laughing since the result.

May is toast and then we have the comedy act of Bojo to follow when the dust settles. The man is a buffoon and will lose the Tories the next election.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 384 - 385
codcheeky
July 3, 2017, 6:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.38
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +1,251
Gold Stars: 31
Quoted from ginnywings
Left here on polling day to go on holiday, fully convinced i would be coming back to a Tory government, while hoping that enough of the electorate could see through the May and co bullsh1t to throw a massive spanner in the works, and lo and behold, that is what happened. Now the Tories are desperately clinging to power with the help of a bunch of racist, mysogynist, homophobic, religious nutters and seem to have found a billion pounds down the back of the sofa. I've not stopped laughing since the result.

May is toast and then we have the comedy act of Bojo to follow when the dust settles. The man is a buffoon and will lose the Tories the next election.

Bojo now in favour of a end to public sector pay cap, he voted against this option last week, the Tories are absolutely terrified of Corbyn,  so much so they are following his policies, they will be nationalising the railways next
Private Message
Reply: 385 - 385
39 Pages Prev ... 29 30 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › General election

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.