Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 93 Guests

Thoughts on Bignot?

This thread currently has 21,109 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
lowerfindus
March 20, 2017, 2:00pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Ok typo accepted I did mean MB not PB. Statistics were straight off the BBC for the whole season but highlight either way our lack of wins -especially at home!. If there was any real evidence that things really have improved I would also say he is ok BUT if our poor showing goes on without improvement and yet another rebuilding exercise has to take place then you might as well be complacent about next season as well and just expect  consolidation.If we have any ambition to progress then please show it ON THE PITCH - not in post match spin.  

Hurst reign was full of poor home performances and lack of home wins. Name a Town manager who has a good home record??? Id suggest we are going back a few years to find one.

PH was dull, his teams were dull and they performed better away from home than at home. The guy had 5 years and never said a word that was interesting and never went out of his way to create any bond or understanding with the supporters.

Perhaps we should be giving MB plenty of time, say 5 years of underachievement?? Like his predecessor.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 131
oldun
March 20, 2017, 2:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Two more seasons would reasonable for him to try and build a side challenging for promotion. If it happens next season and we are near the play offs that would be excellent. Voice of reason
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 20, 2017, 2:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,992
Gold Stars: 228
Not sure that you can compare Paul Hurst with Marcus Bignot, one had time but mostly lacked good players the other has/will have good players but lacks time.

We played functional non league football when we where in non league which is arguably the best way to get out of it so to expect us just to suddenly click into an entertaining side with a high win ratio is unrealistic regardless of who the manager is.    

I must admit I am a bit perplexed what we are doing on the pitch at this point in time but can understand what we are trying to do off it which once completed should deliver results.

When Hurst left we had options,

1. Break the bank and go for a reasonably well known name who was out of work, o.k. but this possibly would have brought short term success until a bigger club came calling

2. Appoint an "old lag" who has had more clubs than Rory McIlroy but never really done anything apart from say the off PO final failure.

3 Go foreign, no chance!!

4. Appoint a young ambitious manager who has demonstrated he knows how to build clubs/teams over reasonable time and understands the benefit from a robust infrastructure, something due to financial constraints had been missing for years.

If I was JF sat there at the end of October after 6 seasons in tin pot and 3 months back in the FL I'd have gone for option 4 every time.

Give Marcus time & support he's clearly working hard and deserves nothing less for the time being.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 131
oldun
March 20, 2017, 2:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Not sure that you can compare Paul Hurst with Marcus Bignot, one had time but mostly lacked good players the other has/will have good players but lacks time.

We played functional non league football when we where in non league which is arguably the best way to get out of it so to expect us just to suddenly click into an entertaining side with a high win ratio is unrealistic regardless of who the manager is.    

I must admit I am a bit perplexed what we are doing on the pitch at this point in time but can understand what we are trying to do off it which once completed should deliver results.

When Hurst left we had options,

1. Break the bank and go for a reasonably well known name who was out of work, o.k. but this possibly would have brought short term success until a bigger club came calling

2. Appoint an "old lag" who has had more clubs than Rory McIlroy but never really done anything apart from say the off PO final failure.

3 Go foreign, no chance!!

4. Appoint a young ambitious manager who has demonstrated he knows how to build clubs/teams over reasonable time and understands the benefit from a robust infrastructure, something due to financial constraints had been missing for years.

If I was JF sat there at the end of October after 6 seasons in tin pot and 3 months back in the FL I'd have gone for option 3 every time.

Give Marcus time & support he's clearly working hard and deserves nothing less for the time being.  

I think you mean option 4
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 20, 2017, 2:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from oldun

I think you mean option 4

Oops......... thanks for pointing out, OP changed.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 20, 2017, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,286
Gold Stars: 236
I admit I am not a fan of PB.Why? because I go to BP to be entertained yet all I see 90% of the time is disjointed play by a bunch of strangers and at the end have to suffer PB's glib excuses. After decimating an arguably entertaining winning team ,Hurst made quite a few duff buys yet we more than managed to maintain an upper position that flattered us.Given that basis the law of averages dictates that we would at least maintain our status in the league.Despite PB having been a big fish in a little pond before arriving at BP, and bringing in a load of new players,he has not managed to at least play cohesive football on the pitch- which I believe is what most of us want to see.Bogle leaving is the biggest factor in our goal drought but losing Amond as well at the end of last season was also a vital factor in what I see as a decline,after all they were the best pairing up front Town has seen in many seasons. Fourth division football has always been dire and I believe it will take someone with experience to get us out,not someone who cannot maintain a consistency of play.To date I've seen nothing that gives me confidence that he can move us forward. 15 losses and 9 draws already is not entertainment and will lower the attendances for sure.  

Yep, those home performances against Orient, Crewe, Cheltenham and Hartlepool were real rippers just like some of the other turgid crap served up at home last season which ultimately alienated the home fans and the manager who had 5 years at the helm of a club that was talking up the likes of Braintree, Bromley and Boreham Wood.

Amond went because Hurst/Fenty didn't want to pay him as much as Hartlepool did (where are they in the league by the way?) and Bogle left for a bigger club and a much bigger pay packet - hardly Bignot's fault!

Finally, what's with this need for immediate promotion? Reality is we're pretty small-fry budget-wise in this league.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 131
chaos33
March 20, 2017, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,996
Gold Stars: 362
Interesting point raised on Amond nonetheless. Had we found a way to retain him, his goals this season may just have been enough to sustain an actual play off push (rather than the imagined feeble attempt much talked about this season). Pigheadedness and a lack of persistence and imagination lost Amond. Had we found a way to keep him (and Arnold), we would, I feel, have been actual contenders this season, rather than also-rans.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 20, 2017, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,286
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from chaos33
Interesting point raised on Amond nonetheless. Had we found a way to retain him, his goals this season may just have been enough to sustain an actual play off push (rather than the imagined feeble attempt much talked about this season). Pigheadedness and a lack of persistence and imagination lost Amond. Had we found a way to keep him (and Arnold), we would, I feel, have been actual contenders this season, rather than also-rans.

Amond, before he joined GTFC, had a pretty average record in L2 and hasn't improved massively this season. Similarly, Arnold has never cut it in L2. Pigheaded in some people's minds, a solid evaluation of a player's level in others - all about opinions!
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 20, 2017, 10:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Pig-headedness on the part of whom though chaos? , the club, the player or his agent? Amond was offered 18 months on top of his remaining 6 = 2 years but did not want to sign it just in case we did not go up, players can't always have it their way, but I do agree I think we would have been better off with him without a doubt. From what I have seen it's not so much the goals that has held us back it's the lack of quality approach play and balls into the box.  

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 131
Zmariner
March 21, 2017, 12:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,131
Gold Stars: 44
On 7th Nov 2016 I signed the commitment mail and so I say let's see where we are 10 games into next season. MB is relatively young and although it has been a bit random so far there are some clear weak links in the squad. We need pace at centre back ,a new keeper and pace up front. I say keep the faith and let's see how we do next season when this lot have had a full pre season. I remain optimistic and suspect that the tinkerman will settle down eventually. At this point MB has my full support UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 131
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.