Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 306 Guests

Thoughts on Bignot?

This thread currently has 21,097 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
March 27, 2017, 1:18pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Seems like another manager is having fun with formations

9 hours ago northwestman likes this
Quote  Post Options
Post by ssshrew on 9 hours ago
camdenshrew Avatar
9 hours ago camdenshrew said:
Hurst explained the reason he went with that formation was to match Bolton's set-up. I wouldn't expect to see it deployed again in the near future.
I hope not.  Picking our team to match the opposition was MMs great scheme. It didn't work then either.

Its not looking great for the shrews, be great to play em next season, like an old reunion!

Reply: 100 - 131
rancido
March 27, 2017, 5:37pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,574
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think we abandoned 3 - 5 -2 as none of the centre backs could effectively start play, possibly not their fault as it may have been due to the lack of movement in front of them. The system would not be that much of a discussion if we could pass and move to a reasonable level

I think you are correct here. Although Pearson and Collins are quite comfortable bringing the ball out of defence, Boyce looks very uncomfortable attempting that. With the right players 3-5-2 can be a very potent formation but you do need the right calibre of players at the back.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 131
Mariner_09
March 27, 2017, 7:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
You need at least 2 of them to be either very athletic or comfortable on the ball, you need 2 very fit and athletic wing backs as well.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 131
1mickylyons
March 28, 2017, 7:08am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,383
Gold Stars: 56
Thoughts on Bignot?

Not impressed at all so far and I would like to see a massive improvement on the playing side of things !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 131
grimsby pete
March 28, 2017, 12:46pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.80
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,792
Gold Stars: 222
If I had the choice of having Hurst for another 5 years reaching the play offs but failing to get us promoted,

Or Marcus keeping us nice and safe in mid table  I would choose Marcus any day,

The reason is Hurst used to bore me to death,

BUT

I do not think we will be mid table next season Marcus has nearly got the team and infrastructure in place,

It will not take him 5 years to get us promoted I am sure of that.

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 131
Mariner_09
March 28, 2017, 5:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
I'm happy to take any kind of dullness or over the top rubbish talk if the flip side of that is that we win games and achieve something, which Hurst did! I'd even have been able to cope with Adkins' "process goals" and "performing basic tasks well to an elite level" if it meant we won!

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 131
headingly_mariner
March 28, 2017, 6:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from grimsby pete
If I had the choice of having Hurst for another 5 years reaching the play offs but failing to get us promoted,

BUT

I do not think we will be mid table next season Marcus has nearly got the team and infrastructure in place,

I'd have Hurst in a heartbeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 28, 2017, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'm happy to take any kind of dullness or over the top rubbish talk if the flip side of that is that we win games and achieve something, which Hurst did! I'd even have been able to cope with Adkins' "process goals" and "performing basic tasks well to an elite level" if it meant we won!

With our budget and support, we were always likely to 'achieve something' - pity it took so flipping long. Why do people struggle with the notion that we are now less likely to achieve because we are operating at a higher level and why can't people grasp the notion that Bignot is not prepared to stick with what he inherited?
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 28, 2017, 10:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

Get all the Hurst took ages stuff but..........

For 2 years he was a double act with that tw@t Scott, 3rd we where not good enough but some dodgy reffing may have edged us out versus Gateshead, following season lost on peno's so as close as you can get, last season we got up. Possibly he played boring pragmatic football because many non league players are not capable of much else, that's why they are not playing in the EFL in the main.

People need to manage their expectations as I reckon realistically it will be the season after next at least before Marcus takes us up unless we have run at the POs at the right time. Not because he'll do anything particularly badly but there is a massive amount of development to do with this squad and there could easily well be 4 teams at least with bigger budgets and better squads.

Play offs versus mid table? I'd take play offs every time, extra gate money, bit of Sky money, Wembley money & merchandising sales if you get to the final and possibly helps you recruit better players for the following season even if you fall short as you will be seen as a credible promotion side. Also I reckon if we had been mid table the season before last Operation Promotion would have never have happened.  

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 29, 2017, 6:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Get all the Hurst took ages stuff but..........

For 2 years he was a double act with that tw@t Scott, 3rd we where not good enough but some dodgy reffing may have edged us out versus Gateshead, following season lost on peno's so as close as you can get, last season we got up. Possibly he played boring pragmatic football because many non league players are not capable of much else, that's why they are not playing in the EFL in the main.

People need to manage their expectations as I reckon realistically it will be the season after next at least before Marcus takes us up unless we have run at the POs at the right time. Not because he'll do anything particularly badly but there is a massive amount of development to do with this squad and there could easily well be 4 teams at least with bigger budgets and better squads.

Play offs versus mid table? I'd take play offs every time, extra gate money, bit of Sky money, Wembley money & merchandising sales if you get to the final and possibly helps you recruit better players for the following season even if you fall short as you will be seen as a credible promotion side. Also I reckon if we had been mid table the season before last Operation Promotion would have never have happened.  

Good point in bold - add to that the size of the clubs coming down and the re-development of the club off the field and it's not likely to be as easy as some make out. That said, if we had kept Omar and Henderson, I believe we would have made the play-offs.
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 131
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.