Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 223 Guests

Thoughts on Bignot?

This thread currently has 21,073 views. Print
14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Gabriel
March 16, 2017, 6:42pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +20
Mariners,

Written up some neutral thoughts ahead of your game at Crawley and the future for both clubs - http://www.TheFootbalLab.co.uk/2017/grimsby-v-crawley-the-summer-ahead/

Kept a fair few clean sheets lately but not many goals - Bogle's exit the key reason or a lack of invention behind the attacking play?

All the best for the rest of the season and beyond.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Mariner_09
March 16, 2017, 7:13pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.10
Rep Score: +19 / -13
Approval: +1,192
Gold Stars: 55
Full of bright ideas, seen some great performances at Plymouth, Carlisle and at home to Mansfield but equally some dire ones at Morecambe, Stevenage and most notably Crewe.

I've wasted my life in black and white, a pathetic act for a worthless cause
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 131
KingstonMariner
March 16, 2017, 10:13pm
Meths Drinker
Posts Per Day: 6.08
Rep Score: +42 / -11
Approval: +23,440
Gold Stars: 218
A fair article Gabriel. At least as far as Grimsby are concerned. Don't know enough about Crawley.

Through the door there came familiar laughter,
I saw your face and heard you call my name.
Oh my friend we're older but no wiser,
For in our hearts the dreams are still the same.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 131
Gabriel
March 17, 2017, 7:23am
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Approval: +20
Quoted from Mariner_09
Full of bright ideas, seen some great performances at Plymouth, Carlisle and at home to Mansfield but equally some dire ones at Morecambe, Stevenage and most notably Crewe.

I was actually in the away end for the Crewe game, that first half was remarkable. Davies kept pushing up but didn't have the pace to get back, nobody was covering behind him. Gave them far too much space.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 131
OllieGTFC
March 17, 2017, 10:45am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.42
Rep Score: +2 / -2
Approval: -293
For me MB hasn't done to bad, yes he has made some silly changes and quite probably we could of been in the play offs who knows if he didn't make the changes he has, this is rebuilding again for us but next season I don't think he will have a excuse for performances he got most of the players he wants, possible 5-6 incomings in the summer clearly a few being shipped out, I honestly think we are in good hands with MB but time will tell, let's just sit back and enjoy the ride (maybe) UTM ⚪️⚫️

We're on our way back, we’ll was now on our way back to non league 👍🏻
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 4 - 131
wiggers
March 17, 2017, 12:10pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +464
Gold Stars: 11
Jury still out for me, I hope he succeeds as this will mean Town are succeeding, but if I'm being honest with myself I don't think he will be manager come Christmas........just my opinion. UTM's
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 131
Garth
March 17, 2017, 12:15pm

Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +55 / -13
Approval: +4,921
Gold Stars: 26
Doesn't see the obvious for me, depends how next season pans out, bottom mid table, worrying our guts out won't be acceptable.
Until then jury's still out, I want him to succeed. We shall see.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 131
Maringer
March 17, 2017, 12:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,412
Gold Stars: 184
I've not been very impressed with Bignot thus far. For me, we've seen too many changes at the club too fast with little obvious pattern of play on show as yet and I think a gradual building process would have been more successful/sensible than the wholesale turnover of players.

That said, if Bogle hadn't departed at the end of January, I expect we would have a good few more points on the board and we might well be in or on the verge of a play-off place. The manager doesn't have control of everything that goes on and replacing Bogle's goals would have been nigh on impossible whoever was in charge.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 131
TownSNAFU5
March 17, 2017, 12:36pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.13
Rep Score: +30 / -21
Approval: +6,860
Gold Stars: 42
Early days.  Look how long Hurst had to get it right?  

A new manager needs time to bring-in his own players and introduce new systems.  Look how Fergie struggled at the beginning at Man U.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 17, 2017, 12:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235
Five years of Hurst, five months of Bignot with mostly someone else's team and having lost the leading scorer - very hard to compare, need to evaluate in October/November next season, not now.
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 131
ginnywings
March 17, 2017, 12:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Think the jury is out on any new manager until a certain period of time has passed, and for me that will be well into next season. Despite all the changes, we are still short in certain areas and that limits what we can do formation wise. We were lacking on the left when he came in and we still are, so i expect that to be addressed in the summer. The right side wasn't bursting with talent either with steady eddie Chambers and hit and miss Bolarinwa. The results have held up despite losing Bogle and the team being altered dramatically, so i hope to see what for me is a long term strategy, starting to pay off as the players bond and gain experience. The circumstances of Bignots appointment were not the norm with him coming into a newly promoted side and fans full of hope and expectation. It's a risky strategy doing what he has done and some fans are finding it hard to swallow but ultimately, all will be forgiven if the team starts to click. Whether it does or not remains to be seen, but i'm fairly happy with where were are at right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 17, 2017, 1:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
From his appointment up until now he's been busy and my views are ..........

He came in and talked about how he wanted to play which therefore set up a certain expectation from the off. Whether (spelling?) or not this is right will remain to be seen.

The media, certainly put himself out there, Whether or not this is right will remain to be seen.

With the squad changes he has gone for revolution versus evolution, I would have preferred the latter but just because it does not float my boat then it does not mean that it's wrong. Personally I am a bit concerned about the current wage budget especially with home attendances dropping a little. Whether or not this is right will remain to be seen.

The signings, overall despite the lack of experience are a good mix of talent and potential but with some of the potential comes risk on will they or won't they be good enough, remember despite the Omar money we still have not got a big budget so is this is the right strategy? Whether or not this is right will remain to be seen.

The infrastructure, some good stuff started and it all needs to be seen through to deliver benefit. The appointment of Gary Whilde could be good in terms of scouting talent a positive thing........guess what?  Whether or not this is right will remain to be seen.

The shape & selection to set up to get a result is the area I am most concerned about as we have tried lots of things and we need stability and a pattern, can Marcus find this? Whether or not this is right will remain to be seen.

Man management, I have included it but as most of us are not close to the camp are we really qualified to comment? I doubt it. However externally he looks to have discarded/disengaged a few with his changes, signings and press activity, well being a manager is not a popularity contest in any sector, whether or not this is right will remain to be seen.

So overall there is a lot that "remains to be seen" if I was a manager I don't think I would have started so many strands of activity at once but I'm not Marcus is and thus will get my backing until Oct/Nov when he has had a good crack at things, he has some resources we just need to give him time.    

I like legitimate people with big hearts I think Marcus falls into that category and would love to see him do well but I will retain my right to give an opinion game by game regardless of result.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 131
Tommy
March 17, 2017, 1:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Bignot took over mid season with us in midtable form. Yes we were in the play-offs at some stage but IMO we weren't going to maintain that and were even in inconsistent form to somehow get to that position. Points/results wise, Bignot's record is about the same as Hurst's this season. And considering we lost Bogle that is not bad going.

So yes, we've stood still under Bignot so far rather than going forwards or backwards, but it's only half a season into his reign. How much patience do we have, and how quickly are we now demanding progress all of a sudden?

In Scott and Hurst's first full season in charge we finished 11th in the conference. The exact same position we finished the season before (half under Woods and half under H&S). And I don't remember so many people being against the managers then for lack of progress as there are now, and this is during the same season.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 131
lew chaterleys lover
March 17, 2017, 2:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Tommy
Bignot took over mid season with us in midtable form. Yes we were in the play-offs at some stage but IMO we weren't going to maintain that and were even in inconsistent form to somehow get to that position. Points/results wise, Bignot's record is about the same as Hurst's this season. And considering we lost Bogle that is not bad going.

So yes, we've stood still under Bignot so far rather than going forwards or backwards, but it's only half a season into his reign. How much patience do we have, and how quickly are we now demanding progress all of a sudden?

In Scott and Hurst's first full season in charge we finished 11th in the conference. The exact same position we finished the season before (half under Woods and half under H&S). And I don't remember so many people being against the managers then for lack of progress as there are now, and this is during the same season.

Different circumstances back then obviously. Bignot took over club on the up, back in the league, settled team, gates up, some money to spend in the window, and with a fantastic opportunity to tweak things to give us another great season. It hasn't really happened and we are a bit further back than when he started, but he at least has the opportunity to get it right over the summer and into next season. If he is still shooting from the hip next season, and we are not making the progress we hope, then he knows he will be on borrowed time. That is just the way it is in football; you have to produce a winning team or you are in danger.    
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 131
grimsby pete
March 17, 2017, 2:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
We have to remember that Marcus is new to league management and is learning all the time

I feel he took on too much too soon but it might pay off next season when we have a settled squad coming in for pre season training,

I think it would only be fair to judge him in the new year next season,

By then we will be in the play off position looking good for promotion, (  I hope )

With the players he has already brought in we will not need the usual 12 new signings

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 131
Barrattstander
March 17, 2017, 2:58pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14

Different circumstances back then obviously. Bignot took over club on the up, back in the league, settled team, gates up, some money to spend in the window, and with a fantastic opportunity to tweak things to give us another great season. It hasn't really happened and we are a bit further back than when he started, but he at least has the opportunity to get it right over the summer and into next season. If he is still shooting from the hip next season, and we are not making the progress we hope, then he knows he will be on borrowed time. That is just the way it is in football; you have to produce a winning team or you are in danger.    

Settled team!!!!!
I'm not having that !!!
Beginning the season with only four players who started the play-off final and then picking 21 different players to start games before he slunked off suggests to me that the previous manager was not leaving behind a settled team.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 17, 2017, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker

We are a bit further back in the goalscoring department but our midfield looks potentially far better.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 131
ginnywings
March 17, 2017, 3:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Barrattstander

Settled team!!!!!
I'm not having that !!!
Beginning the season with only four players who started the play-off final and then picking 21 different players to start games before he slunked off suggests to me that the previous manager was not leaving behind a settled team.

Agreed, there seems to be this perception that we were some well oiled machine and Bignot took a big hammer to it. Hurst brought in Tuton, another clone of the loan signing from the previous season, who didn't look like scoring either. Our form pre and post Bignot has been erratic and the fact we were 7th under Hurst is just early season jostling when you can go up and down the league several places with a win or a loss. Hurst also had the benefit of Bogle scoring regularly, so i don't think Bignot is doing too badly myself as points gained per game are holding steady and we were safe with ten games of the season left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 131
Rodley Mariner
March 17, 2017, 3:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I think to some it feels worse because when we've lost it's often been pretty heavily.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 131
GrimRob
March 17, 2017, 3:55pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
People say managers should be given time but the average expectancy of a manager is just over 1 year, about 1.5 years in League 2 according to this article.

http://www.skysports.com/footb.....land-just-1-23-years

That's the average of course, some many managers last much less than a year. They patently are not given time at most clubs. I think that's the reason why MB made so many changes when he first arrived. Any other job you'd stick with the team around you for the first few months but football managers do not get that time. In football you have to make a very quick impression or you'll be out of a job. I really hope we stick with him for at least most of next season otherwise we'll be in the same position again where someone else wants to get rid of all the last guy's players!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 131
Grimbiggs
March 17, 2017, 9:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +4 / -4
Approval: +685
i'm still undecided, but prepared to give him the benefit of the doubt....he inherited a mediocre midfield, and lost our only goalscorer in January, so the backend of this season was always going to be difficult... i think it's only fair that his signings and management ability, are really seriously judged next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 17, 2017, 9:23pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Thought his Press Conference today was really good and illustrates how much of a thinker Marcus is and evidently he has a very clear plan on where he wants us to be come August.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 131
headingly_mariner
March 17, 2017, 9:27pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,320
Early days, but for me he talks a good game but I've yet to see anything that suggests he can improve us. Made a lot of changes to the playing squad and imo he's made us worse. I can't see him being in charge by Christmas. Hopefully I'm wrong and it really clicks.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 131
Mariner_09
March 17, 2017, 9:29pm
Whiskey Drinker
Also said that Dan Jones is a big part of his plans next season, are we going to release anyone? The side needs some definite upgrades in places, especially out wide and up front and also some decent backup defensively. Davies seems to be this season's Monkhouse, just that one season too many when his legs eventually went.

Private Message
Reply: 23 - 131
Mariner93er
March 17, 2017, 9:33pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Rep Score: +9 / -4
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
I think he's definitely improved us. For a start, we're actually scoring without bogle in the team. We may look clueless at times, but let's remember that before Hurst left we were really struggling to score and were totally dependent on bogle. Something bignot has not benefited from.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 131
GrimRob
March 17, 2017, 10:42pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Quoted from Mariner93er
I think he's definitely improved us. For a start, we're actually scoring without bogle in the team. We may look clueless at times, but let's remember that before Hurst left we were really struggling to score and were totally dependent on bogle. Something bignot has not benefited from.

Bogle can't score if he's not on the pitch!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 25 - 131
Cloudy
March 17, 2017, 10:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from Mariner93er

Bogle scored more goals for us under Bignot than he did under Hurst this season
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 131
Mariner93er
March 17, 2017, 11:21pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.53
Approval: +4,720
Gold Stars: 28
Yes, but that was mainly under the team he ingerited. Since signing his own players, the goals have spread out. Obviously we had to find another route to goal without bogle, but if Hurst was still in charge and we lost bogle, the team he had would be really struggling.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 27 - 131
Cloudy
March 18, 2017, 8:06am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Mariner93er
Yes, but that was mainly under the team he ingerited. Since signing his own players, the goals have spread out. Obviously we had to find another route to goal without bogle, but if Hurst was still in charge and we lost bogle, the team he had would be really struggling.

What are Tonight's lottery numbers!
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 131
The Grim Reaper
March 18, 2017, 11:04am
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.13
Rep Score: +2 / -30
Approval: -533
Gold Stars: 1
I do enjoy his press conferences though. He talks a lot of sense and is very forward thinking IMHO.

https://youtu.be/CRdlFV6gzjU

Jesus wants me to be a sunbeam
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 131
Tangerine Chris
March 18, 2017, 11:19am
Old git with a sense of humour
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Approval: -24
Quoted from The Grim Reaper
I do enjoy his press conferences though. He talks a lot of sense and is very forward thinking IMHO.

https://youtu.be/CRdlFV6gzjU

He always talks the talk, but seldom walks the walk.  Still undecided on him

IF YOU PLAY FOR THE BADGE ON THE FRONT OF YOUR SHIRT
THEY WILL REMEMBER THE NAME ON THE BACK OF IT

You can change your wife, your house, your car, but you can never change your team.
Chairmen come and go, boards come and go, but the fans remain.
They are the one true constant

Eddie Thompson OBE
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 131
mariner83
March 18, 2017, 11:37am

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.47
Rep Score: +25 / -4
Approval: +2,001
Gold Stars: 5
[url=http://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/7631/profile-the-career-of-grimsby-town-boss-marcus-bignot/]http://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/7631/profile-the-career-of-grimsby-town-boss-marcus-bignot/[/url]
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 31 - 131
rancido
March 18, 2017, 12:01pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,532
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from mariner83
[url=http://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/7631/profile-the-career-of-grimsby-town-boss-marcus-bignot/]http://www.theleaguepaper.com/featured/7631/profile-the-career-of-grimsby-town-boss-marcus-bignot/[/url]

That is a very informative article and probably more of an insight into his style of management than a lot of us fans realised.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 131
Tommy
March 18, 2017, 12:16pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Quoted from Tangerine Chris

He always talks the talk, but seldom walks the walk.  Still undecided on him

With a similar record under both this season, Bignot is "walking the walk" as much as Hurst did.

Does Bignot suffer from openly aiming high? Which is funny because Hurst was often criticised on here for not being bold and ambitious enough.

Do people expect greater results from MB than they did under PH because Bignot talks us up in the press?

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 18, 2017, 12:22pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Tommy

With a similar record under both this season, Bignot is "walking the walk" as much as Hurst did.

Does Bignot suffer from openly aiming high? Which is funny because Hurst was often criticised on here for not being bold and ambitious enough.

Do people expect greater results from MB than they did under PH because Bignot talks us up in the press?

Ultimately MB will achieve success if the board and the fans back him in the way he wants. This unrealistic attitude of expecting us to win every week needs to be dampened down by understanding how far the club had fallen behind off the field as well as on it.
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 131
oldun
March 18, 2017, 1:11pm

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
All fans should read that. I did not realise how far back he worked with Micky Moore. We probably should LISTEN to what he says and drop the bullshit accusations. He has more knowledge than most of us.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 18, 2017, 1:18pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from oldun
All fans should read that. I did not realise how far back he worked with Micky Moore. We probably should LISTEN to what he says and drop the bullshit accusations. He has more knowledge than most of us.

Absolutely. I think if MB is guilty of anything then it may be over thinking things which can't be said of most of us who post on here  
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 131
Cloudy
March 19, 2017, 9:14am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Ultimately MB will achieve success if the board and the fans back him in the way he wants. This unrealistic attitude of expecting us to win every week needs to be dampened down by understanding how far the club had fallen behind off the field as well as on it.

Who expects us to win every week? I haven't seen any poster stating this. Seems you are making things up again to suit!

It must be brilliant in your Ivory Tower with your understanding of bleeding everything!!!!
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 131
Rick12
March 19, 2017, 9:20am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +42 / -3
Approval: +255
Gold Stars: 45
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I have a good feeling about MB more so than I did under Hurst.Just wish some fans like you have said could be stop being so childish and give him time.Everything that requires success takes time and there will be some hiccups along the way Iam sure  but for me have a feeling that this is a very decent appointment and will be more so than Hurst ever was if we would have been here still at the helm long term

One life,one love .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 131
Mrs Doyle
March 19, 2017, 10:01am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.78
Rep Score: +22 / -13
Approval: +4,859
To be fair Hurst was given a long time to get us up and a lot would say too long a time.

On that basis Bignot should be given at least a full season to try and get HIS team stabilised to try HIS style.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 131
oldun
March 19, 2017, 10:06am

Whiskey Drinker
I seem to remember the Hurst out banner on the fly over, a few weeks before we achieved promotion. Things can turn fairly quickly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 131
A.l.f.
March 19, 2017, 10:17am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.16
Rep Score: +6 / -2
Approval: +687
Gold Stars: 7
Quoted from mariner83

After reading that - i think we would all be wise to give him time as it sounds like once the players get it right on the field as to what he wants, we will all see that patience pays off.
We have a few games to grasp it before next season - lets hope  that exciting football is around the corner, as its clear that MB wants to be a winner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 131
forza ivano
March 19, 2017, 10:29am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,128
Gold Stars: 265
Very interesting article.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 131
oldun
March 19, 2017, 10:40am

Whiskey Drinker
Rarely is instant success achieved. Non of the players Marcus has brought in have league experience, and probably more will arrive in the summer, so unlikely to be instant hits. However, his philosophy and skill seems to be developing players and in this respect he has a good record. Can he do that under pressure from fans hungry for success? That is the question. I think most fans can see potential in all these players, so we may have to live with another season of uncertainty before assessing whether the plan is working. This may be a two or three year project. Some will not like and want results earlier but if you are building something you cannot stop at the foundation stage. It may be helpful if Marcus and the club clarify what the project looks like, what we are trying to build and in what time scale so expectations are realistic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 19, 2017, 10:48am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Read it again this morning, he seems like a man with a plan. There was a 10 minute spell yesterday when the movement off the ball was quite sublime.

And that was with 2 CMs in wide positions, if we can develop Bolarinwa's game or sign 2 wide players with decent 1st touches and the ability to get the ball into the box we will be on track I reckon.

We have the makings of a good squad and for the first time in ages after the sale of Omar no doubt still some funds to add to it in the summer, add to that a manager who knows how to build things actually that's not a bad scenario for a club that has just come up after 6 years in tin pot.  

Clearly a lot of work to do on firstly retaining the quality that's out of contract, engineering departures and adding the right talent but I am sure Marcus, Mickey and Gary Whilde have a plan for that as wel and will have already started on it..

Take the last 4 seasons we have been in a league where Newport, Mansfield, Cambridge, Luton, Barnet, Brizzle, Cheltenham and ourselves have come up Brizzle have progressed with a bucket of Arab money but the rest are still in L2. Luton could go up Newport are doomed and Cheltenham still need to be careful so I reckon that proves unless something substantial changes at your club it takes a few seasons to come up and become truly competitive.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 131
headingly_mariner
March 19, 2017, 12:04pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

He might not. I don't think anyone expects us to win every week, I just think there is some concern over the performances. I'm not convinced he will be a success.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 131
forza ivano
March 19, 2017, 12:25pm

Exile
Quoted from headingly_mariner

He might not. I don't think anyone expects us to win every week, I just think there is some concern over the performances. I'm not convinced he will be a success.

I can understand that headingly, which is where oldun makes a very good point. Mb could do himself a lot of good by explaining his plan and what he is trying to achieve and how he's going about it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 19, 2017, 12:40pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Understand you HM - I just think that there are many who are 'over expecting'. We just got out of the morass that is the Conference, Cheltenham cruised out and are now fighting relegation - we ought to be thankful that isn't us.
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 131
grimsby pete
March 19, 2017, 12:52pm

Exile
When we first appointed Alan Buckley his  first season was average,

Then we took off and ended up in the now championship,

I feel under Marcus we just might see the same,

If we all only had a little patience .

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 131
psgmariner
March 19, 2017, 1:33pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.69
Rep Score: +39 / -15
Approval: +5,480
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from mariner83

Thanks posting, it's an interesting read despite one of the worst openers I have ever read!

THESE days, Karen Carney is an international star of women’s football, capped more than 100 times for England with more trophies than a branch of Timpsons.

Private Message
Reply: 49 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 19, 2017, 2:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from oldun
I seem to remember the Hurst out banner on the fly over, a few weeks before we achieved promotion. Things can turn fairly quickly.

Just seen this on Shrews forum regarding PH substitutions - he hasn't changed!

Mellon and Turner used to criticised for subbing by numbers - I'm wondering if Hurst does the same thing. In the last two games we've waited until 70 min mark for a change when arguably it needed making 15 mins earlier. Certainly last night we needed to be a bit more proactive.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 131
buckstown
March 19, 2017, 2:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,171
Gold Stars: 79
I think Headingly has hit the nail on the head. In my opinion there are very few genuine Town fans who want MB out, you have to give people time. I'm not particularly impressed at the moment and I can handle defeats no problem. Its the manner of some of the performances that have alarms ringing for me.
I've yet to see a just back thread where most people thought we performed reasonably well for 90 mins and the games I've seen we've been very mediocre.
I'm in favour of continuity but maybe he could help me to understand the strategy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 131
Cloudy
March 19, 2017, 3:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from buckstown
I think Headingly has hit the nail on the head. In my opinion there are very few genuine Town fans who want MB out, you have to give people time. I'm not particularly impressed at the moment and I can handle defeats no problem. Its the manner of some of the performances that have alarms ringing for me.
I've yet to see a just back thread where most people thought we performed reasonably well for 90 mins and the games I've seen we've been very mediocre.
I'm in favour of continuity but maybe he could help me to understand the strategy

Exactly. Plymouth away was the most complete performance I have seen. Bignots 1st away game. Lots more o

f changes since then but no big strides forward as yet
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 131
headingly_mariner
March 19, 2017, 4:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Just seen this on Shrews forum regarding PH substitutions - he hasn't changed!

Mellon and Turner used to criticised for subbing by numbers - I'm wondering if Hurst does the same thing. In the last two games we've waited until 70 min mark for a change when arguably it needed making 15 mins earlier. Certainly last night we needed to be a bit more proactive.

How many points off safety were they when he took charge?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 131
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 19, 2017, 4:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,650
Gold Stars: 72
Think the article is interesting from two factors that will be of vital importance to the future of GTFC:
1) the clear emphasis he puts on building an infrastructure that is financially sustainable
2) the high regard he appears to held in as a coach.

The former is something he is already trying to put in place and will obviously be a few seasons before the club reaps any real benefits from it.

The latter is where we are yet to see any great evidence of given the disjointed performances to date. However, like others have remarked some publicity in relation to the project in hand and timescale would maybe help alleviate some of the more critical although for some instant success, like coffee, is a necessity. After 50 plus years watching town I am happy to be patient but would like to see more attacking flair in the meantime and next season will obviously tell us much more.

One final comment coming home from the match yesterday I switched to BBC Lincs to see if more earache was coming my way re the Chimps to hear Grantham's manager being interviewed and speaking very highly of our Harry so we could have a good young un on the way through the ranks, lets hope so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 131
Stranger in the Park
March 20, 2017, 11:53am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
I admit I am not a fan of PB.Why? because I go to BP to be entertained yet all I see 90% of the time is disjointed play by a bunch of strangers and at the end have to suffer PB's glib excuses. After decimating an arguably entertaining winning team ,Hurst made quite a few duff buys yet we more than managed to maintain an upper position that flattered us.Given that basis the law of averages dictates that we would at least maintain our status in the league.Despite PB having been a big fish in a little pond before arriving at BP, and bringing in a load of new players,he has not managed to at least play cohesive football on the pitch- which I believe is what most of us want to see.Bogle leaving is the biggest factor in our goal drought but losing Amond as well at the end of last season was also a vital factor in what I see as a decline,after all they were the best pairing up front Town has seen in many seasons. Fourth division football has always been dire and I believe it will take someone with experience to get us out,not someone who cannot maintain a consistency of play.To date I've seen nothing that gives me confidence that he can move us forward. 15 losses and 9 draws already is not entertainment and will lower the attendances for sure.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 131
Barrattstander
March 20, 2017, 12:10pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14
I admit I am not a fan of PB.Why? because I go to BP to be entertained yet all I see 90% of the time is disjointed play by a bunch of strangers and at the end have to suffer PB's glib excuses. After decimating an arguably entertaining winning team ,Hurst made quite a few duff buys yet we more than managed to maintain an upper position that flattered us.Given that basis the law of averages dictates that we would at least maintain our status in the league.Despite PB having been a big fish in a little pond before arriving at BP, and bringing in a load of new players,he has not managed to at least play cohesive football on the pitch- which I believe is what most of us want to see.Bogle leaving is the biggest factor in our goal drought but losing Amond as well at the end of last season was also a vital factor in what I see as a decline,after all they were the best pairing up front Town has seen in many seasons. Fourth division football has always been dire and I believe it will take someone with experience to get us out,not someone who cannot maintain a consistency of play.To date I've seen nothing that gives me confidence that he can move us forward. 15 losses and 9 draws already is not entertainment and will lower the attendances for sure.  

Who's PB ??

If you mean Marcus Bignot then you need to getyourfactsright, so to speak.
After exactly half a season in charge his record is
               P.    W.    D.    L.    F.     A.    Pts
              23.   8.     6.     9.    27.   29.    30

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 131
Youngy
March 20, 2017, 12:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Barrattstander

Who's PB ??

If you mean Marcus Bignot then you need to getyourfactsright, so to speak.
After exactly half a season in charge his record is
               P.    W.    D.    L.    F.     A.    Pts
              23.   8.     6.     9.    27.   29.    30

This sums it up for me, it's a mid-table record after half a season, could be better, could be worse. There is deffinate room for improvement but also no evidence to hit the panic buttons. It's a record that deserves a pre season that enables him to trim down the squad, bring in a couple more new players and move forward from there.

Strangers in the park - You mentioned about going to BP and wanting to be entertained? Notts County? Accrington? Carlisle? Mansfield? I thought they were all pretty entertaining, espicially the later.

Also what's Almond and Bogle going got to do with Bignott? He wasn't even here for the first and he didn't have a say on the second
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 131
diehardmariner
March 20, 2017, 12:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,428
Gold Stars: 532

I think the entertaining element is very arguable.

I'm not saying we're high octane, breathless entertainment under Bignot but let's not forget that we were generally dull as ditchwater for the vast majority of Paul Hurst's reign here.  

Rightly or wrongly, Bignot is having a mid-season during an actual season.  Thankfully we've enough quality to do this without running the risk of relegation.  I am disappointed with how things look to be shaping up and in all honesty I don't see a lot of progress made in terms of tactics and shape, but I can see that the players Bignot has brought in are an upgrade.  Osborne and Jones look like they will be quality moving forward and I'm quite excited to see them with a full pre-season behind them.

We're going nowhere fast this season.  Midtable obscurity is something we would all have taken in July but I can understand, often share, the frustration of such.   Next season is when we can make a fair judgement on Bignot.   Until then there's very little point.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 131
Stranger in the Park
March 20, 2017, 1:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Ok typo accepted I did mean MB not PB. Statistics were straight off the BBC for the whole season but highlight either way our lack of wins -especially at home!. If there was any real evidence that things really have improved I would also say he is ok BUT if our poor showing goes on without improvement and yet another rebuilding exercise has to take place then you might as well be complacent about next season as well and just expect  consolidation.If we have any ambition to progress then please show it ON THE PITCH - not in post match spin.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 131
lowerfindus
March 20, 2017, 2:00pm

Lager Top Drinker
Rep Score: +7 / -3
Approval: +202
Gold Stars: 2
Ok typo accepted I did mean MB not PB. Statistics were straight off the BBC for the whole season but highlight either way our lack of wins -especially at home!. If there was any real evidence that things really have improved I would also say he is ok BUT if our poor showing goes on without improvement and yet another rebuilding exercise has to take place then you might as well be complacent about next season as well and just expect  consolidation.If we have any ambition to progress then please show it ON THE PITCH - not in post match spin.  

Hurst reign was full of poor home performances and lack of home wins. Name a Town manager who has a good home record??? Id suggest we are going back a few years to find one.

PH was dull, his teams were dull and they performed better away from home than at home. The guy had 5 years and never said a word that was interesting and never went out of his way to create any bond or understanding with the supporters.

Perhaps we should be giving MB plenty of time, say 5 years of underachievement?? Like his predecessor.

Never drink in a pub with a flat roof.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 131
oldun
March 20, 2017, 2:24pm

Whiskey Drinker
Two more seasons would reasonable for him to try and build a side challenging for promotion. If it happens next season and we are near the play offs that would be excellent. Voice of reason
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 20, 2017, 2:30pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Not sure that you can compare Paul Hurst with Marcus Bignot, one had time but mostly lacked good players the other has/will have good players but lacks time.

We played functional non league football when we where in non league which is arguably the best way to get out of it so to expect us just to suddenly click into an entertaining side with a high win ratio is unrealistic regardless of who the manager is.    

I must admit I am a bit perplexed what we are doing on the pitch at this point in time but can understand what we are trying to do off it which once completed should deliver results.

When Hurst left we had options,

1. Break the bank and go for a reasonably well known name who was out of work, o.k. but this possibly would have brought short term success until a bigger club came calling

2. Appoint an "old lag" who has had more clubs than Rory McIlroy but never really done anything apart from say the off PO final failure.

3 Go foreign, no chance!!

4. Appoint a young ambitious manager who has demonstrated he knows how to build clubs/teams over reasonable time and understands the benefit from a robust infrastructure, something due to financial constraints had been missing for years.

If I was JF sat there at the end of October after 6 seasons in tin pot and 3 months back in the FL I'd have gone for option 4 every time.

Give Marcus time & support he's clearly working hard and deserves nothing less for the time being.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 131
oldun
March 20, 2017, 2:33pm

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
Not sure that you can compare Paul Hurst with Marcus Bignot, one had time but mostly lacked good players the other has/will have good players but lacks time.

We played functional non league football when we where in non league which is arguably the best way to get out of it so to expect us just to suddenly click into an entertaining side with a high win ratio is unrealistic regardless of who the manager is.    

I must admit I am a bit perplexed what we are doing on the pitch at this point in time but can understand what we are trying to do off it which once completed should deliver results.

When Hurst left we had options,

1. Break the bank and go for a reasonably well known name who was out of work, o.k. but this possibly would have brought short term success until a bigger club came calling

2. Appoint an "old lag" who has had more clubs than Rory McIlroy but never really done anything apart from say the off PO final failure.

3 Go foreign, no chance!!

4. Appoint a young ambitious manager who has demonstrated he knows how to build clubs/teams over reasonable time and understands the benefit from a robust infrastructure, something due to financial constraints had been missing for years.

If I was JF sat there at the end of October after 6 seasons in tin pot and 3 months back in the FL I'd have gone for option 3 every time.

Give Marcus time & support he's clearly working hard and deserves nothing less for the time being.  

I think you mean option 4
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 20, 2017, 2:36pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from oldun

I think you mean option 4

Oops......... thanks for pointing out, OP changed.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 20, 2017, 4:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker

Yep, those home performances against Orient, Crewe, Cheltenham and Hartlepool were real rippers just like some of the other turgid crap served up at home last season which ultimately alienated the home fans and the manager who had 5 years at the helm of a club that was talking up the likes of Braintree, Bromley and Boreham Wood.

Amond went because Hurst/Fenty didn't want to pay him as much as Hartlepool did (where are they in the league by the way?) and Bogle left for a bigger club and a much bigger pay packet - hardly Bignot's fault!

Finally, what's with this need for immediate promotion? Reality is we're pretty small-fry budget-wise in this league.
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 131
chaos33
March 20, 2017, 9:57pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,870
Gold Stars: 353
Interesting point raised on Amond nonetheless. Had we found a way to retain him, his goals this season may just have been enough to sustain an actual play off push (rather than the imagined feeble attempt much talked about this season). Pigheadedness and a lack of persistence and imagination lost Amond. Had we found a way to keep him (and Arnold), we would, I feel, have been actual contenders this season, rather than also-rans.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 20, 2017, 10:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
Interesting point raised on Amond nonetheless. Had we found a way to retain him, his goals this season may just have been enough to sustain an actual play off push (rather than the imagined feeble attempt much talked about this season). Pigheadedness and a lack of persistence and imagination lost Amond. Had we found a way to keep him (and Arnold), we would, I feel, have been actual contenders this season, rather than also-rans.

Amond, before he joined GTFC, had a pretty average record in L2 and hasn't improved massively this season. Similarly, Arnold has never cut it in L2. Pigheaded in some people's minds, a solid evaluation of a player's level in others - all about opinions!
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 20, 2017, 10:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Pig-headedness on the part of whom though chaos? , the club, the player or his agent? Amond was offered 18 months on top of his remaining 6 = 2 years but did not want to sign it just in case we did not go up, players can't always have it their way, but I do agree I think we would have been better off with him without a doubt. From what I have seen it's not so much the goals that has held us back it's the lack of quality approach play and balls into the box.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 131
Zmariner
March 21, 2017, 12:15am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
On 7th Nov 2016 I signed the commitment mail and so I say let's see where we are 10 games into next season. MB is relatively young and although it has been a bit random so far there are some clear weak links in the squad. We need pace at centre back ,a new keeper and pace up front. I say keep the faith and let's see how we do next season when this lot have had a full pre season. I remain optimistic and suspect that the tinkerman will settle down eventually. At this point MB has my full support UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 69 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2017, 7:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner
On 7th Nov 2016 I signed the commitment mail and so I say let's see where we are 10 games into next season. MB is relatively young and although it has been a bit random so far there are some clear weak links in the squad. We need pace at centre back ,a new keeper and pace up front. I say keep the faith and let's see how we do next season when this lot have had a full pre season. I remain optimistic and suspect that the tinkerman will settle down eventually. At this point MB has my full support UTM

Lots of posters are saying we need pacey centre backs but from what I have seen this year we have conceded goals by either being exposed down the flanks, poor defending at corners, free kicks or just plain error. Shaun and Danny Collins read the game reasonably well and I don't recall many occasions when they have lost out to strikers in an out and out foot race. Agree about the keepr as well as retaining the likes of Shaun, The Danny's and possibly Vose, I think the priority is a striker who can be a "Jonny on the spot" and a solution to both the left and right hand sides going forward.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 131
oldun
March 21, 2017, 8:01am

Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Zmariner

10 games into next season is hardly "full" support. As I have already said, he may well need at least two more seasons to get us where we all want to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 131
Zmariner
March 21, 2017, 10:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,115
Gold Stars: 44
I think if we were at the bottom going into November next season question would be asked. Not looking for miracles just a bit of progress and stability. I expect we will be st least half way and MB will have us more consistent by then, that will be enough for me. We must never drop out of the league again UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2017, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
I think Oldun I right I expect us to be mid table next season but playing a type of football that the fans understand and looks like ultimately will deliver success.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 131
headingly_mariner
March 21, 2017, 10:38am

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Completely agree, both players that could've played a really big part this season. They would both walk into our side now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 131
forza ivano
March 21, 2017, 11:27am

Exile
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Amond, before he joined GTFC, had a pretty average record in L2 and hasn't improved massively this season. Similarly, Arnold has never cut it in L2. Pigheaded in some people's minds, a solid evaluation of a player's level in others - all about opinions!

13 in 38 games in a struggling side ain't bad!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 131
chaos33
March 21, 2017, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

13 in 38 games in a struggling side ain't bad!

Exactly my point. He might have scored 15-20 goals for us, and that would have given us a better shot at the top 7. Hurst didn't really rate Amond and that's a fact.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2017, 9:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Exactly my point. He might have scored 15-20 goals for us, and that would have given us a better shot at the top 7. Hurst didn't really rate Amond and that's a fact.

chao how do you really know that's a fact, he rated him enough to sign him. On Saturday in the 1st half Osborne played a really good ball across the Crawley six yard box and no Town player was anywhere near it, that would have been ripe for Amond. Its hard to ay how many goals he would have got as pretty much most of the season our delivery into the box has been poor.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 131
chaos33
March 21, 2017, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
I was told he didn't really rate Amond 'all round' by someone who knew, and Hurst's actions spoke louder than words at times. The fact that Hurst wasn't that persistent in trying to sign him once we'd made L2 underlines the point. The line was ...we made him a mid season offer, and then another at the end of the season, and it was 'take it or leave it'. Clearly there was some resentment that he didn't sign the earlier offer, and the Hartlepool deal was also evidently much better than Town's proposal, which can only be seen as a reflection of how Hurst thought of him as a L2 prospect - a judgement call Hurst got wrong the stats would suggest.

As regards Arnold - it's been reported on many occasions that the offer he received was 'not attractive' shall we say. I don't know the particulars, but Arnold's affection for the club was very clearly evident and outlined lots of times by the player. He did not sign it and the club did not go out of its way to chase him. There's an offer, take it or leave it being the order of the day it seemed. I think Arnold would've been great in our team in L2 this season - but instead, we have played a full campaign without a left winger, so, IMO another judgement call Hurst got wrong, and the justification for the 'pigheaded' comment I made earlier.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 21, 2017, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33
I was told he didn't really rate Amond 'all round' by someone who knew, and Hurst's actions spoke louder than words at times. The fact that Hurst wasn't that persistent in trying to sign him once we'd made L2 underlines the point. The line was ...we made him a mid season offer, and then another at the end of the season, and it was 'take it or leave it'. Clearly there was some resentment that he didn't sign the earlier offer, and the Hartlepool deal was also evidently much better than Town's proposal, which can only be seen as a reflection of how Hurst thought of him as a L2 prospect - a judgement call Hurst got wrong the stats would suggest.

As regards Arnold - it's been reported on many occasions that the offer he received was 'not attractive' shall we say. I don't know the particulars, but Arnold's affection for the club was very clearly evident and outlined lots of times by the player. He did not sign it and the club did not go out of its way to chase him. There's an offer, take it or leave it being the order of the day it seemed. I think Arnold would've been great in our team in L2 this season - but instead, we have played a full campaign without a left winger, so, IMO another judgement call Hurst got wrong, and the justification for the 'pigheaded' comment I made earlier.

But that underlines the point - neither of these decisions can in any way be pointed at Bignot.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 131
chaos33
March 21, 2017, 10:12pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Nothing to do with Bignot mate, and never said or implied it did. I've wandered off topic.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2017, 10:16pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

We certainly would have been a better team with both of them this season, I have not seen many stellar left backs this season so Nathan could have done well, then again we have not tested any defender on that side of the  pitch so it's hard to sat how good anyone is.

if we offered Arnold less money than last year which has been put out there than I would have certainly looked elsewhere, I understand that Nathan does not have an agent so clearly any decision he made was his own unlike Amond who went on record saying "I just left it to my agent to sort out".  

Re the full campaign without a left winger that's down to both managers isn't it? If Marcus thought it was that big a deal he'd have taken a punt on another non league prospect at the very least.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 21, 2017, 10:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

We certainly would have been a better team with both of them this season, I have not seen many stellar left backs this season so Nathan could have done well, then again we have not tested any defender on that side of the  pitch so it's hard to sat how good anyone is.

if we offered Arnold less money than last year which has been put out there than I would have certainly looked elsewhere, I understand that Nathan does not have an agent so clearly any decision he made was his own unlike Amond who went on record saying "I just left it to my agent to sort out".  

Re the full campaign without a left winger that's down to both managers isn't it? If Marcus thought it was that big a deal he'd have taken a punt on another non league prospect at the very least.

The best left back I've seen this season is our Player of The Year
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2017, 10:25pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

The best left back I've seen this season is our Player of The Year

I have to agree, which is a bit worrying as he's out of contract soon

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 131
Maringer
March 22, 2017, 7:34am
Barley Wine Drinker
Out of Amond and Arnold, I definitely would have preferred to have kept Arnold, despite his somewhat indifferent form last season due to his personal issues. Decent wingers aren't easy to find and he's always had a goal or two in him as well.

Last season, despite his great goalscoring record, Amond proved to be a bit of a 'flat track bully', so to speak, with almost all of his goals coming against the weaker teams in the division and he was pretty much no threat against the stronger ones (not all his fault, of course as we weren't great). Other than his goals, he didn't offer much to the team so I can see why Hurst didn't exactly bust a gut to keep him. That said, I don't doubt he'd have scored ten or so for us this season had he stayed.

If the rumours are true, I think the biggest reason we didn't go for him was because Hurst was expecting to re-sign LJL to play alongside Bogle and there wouldn't then have been a role for Amond. Of course, that soon fell by the wayside due to injury. I still think Bogle would do better playing alongside more of a 'target man' partner but then perhaps his big improvement this season came in part due to the pressure of having to lead the line on his own much of the time? Regardless, it worked out well for us and him.

Would I have Amond back next year? Yes - providing we were able to sign the wingers to create the chances for him. Not that I expect this to happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 22, 2017, 8:21am

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Out of Amond and Arnold, I definitely would have preferred to have kept Arnold, despite his somewhat indifferent form last season due to his personal issues. Decent wingers aren't easy to find and he's always had a goal or two in him as well.

Last season, despite his great goalscoring record, Amond proved to be a bit of a 'flat track bully', so to speak, with almost all of his goals coming against the weaker teams in the division and he was pretty much no threat against the stronger ones (not all his fault, of course as we weren't great). Other than his goals, he didn't offer much to the team so I can see why Hurst didn't exactly bust a gut to keep him. That said, I don't doubt he'd have scored ten or so for us this season had he stayed.

If the rumours are true, I think the biggest reason we didn't go for him was because Hurst was expecting to re-sign LJL to play alongside Bogle and there wouldn't then have been a role for Amond. Of course, that soon fell by the wayside due to injury. I still think Bogle would do better playing alongside more of a 'target man' partner but then perhaps his big improvement this season came in part due to the pressure of having to lead the line on his own much of the time? Regardless, it worked out well for us and him.

Would I have Amond back next year? Yes - providing we were able to sign the wingers to create the chances for him. Not that I expect this to happen.

LJL really? even though during the close season Lenny was injured and not scheduled for recovery until Christmas.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 131
Maringer
March 22, 2017, 9:30am
Barley Wine Drinker
The story was that we were on the brink of signing him immediately before he picked up his injury. If true, it would rather put the kibosh on Hurst's plans which is why we ended up scratting around for strikers yet again at the start of the season.

Our mid-table situation with nothing to play for will hopefully mean that Bignot can get his summer departures/signings mostly lined up by the end of the season. The multitude of signings in the transfer window means that the defence and midfield should be pretty much set so hopefully he can find the wingers and a striker or two we badly need to be able to mount a challenge next season. Starting pre-season training with pretty much a full squad would be a real bonus.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 131
1mickylyons
March 22, 2017, 10:35am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Maringer

No not because he is ex Town BUT Amond is just the type of player MB should be looking to bring in he ticks all the boxes give him a chance he will take it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 131
Mariner_09
March 22, 2017, 12:04pm
Whiskey Drinker
I do think that Arnold on one wing and Bolarinwa on the other would cause teams problems, also Arnold would provide Andrew more protection than Vose, Berrett or just nobody which has been the fase recently. Likewise, we know Bogle and Amond were a good partnership and I'd like to think that Amond and Asante/Dyson could be a decent partnership. Frankly, the only players we released or lost that we have replaced effectively even now are Tait, Robertson and Clay. I know we have Collins instead of Toto but they are totally different types of centre half. I'd say Clements is better than Clay but Berrett certainly isn't better than Nolan and Osborne's just a different type of player.

Private Message
Reply: 88 - 131
Stranger in the Park
March 24, 2017, 10:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
I find all the talk about wingers strange as it seems pretty clear that Bignot does not favour that style of play at all otherwise he would be playing wide men. On the evidence so far this is alien to him and would sooner play a systems game that baffles everyone - including the players.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 131
rancido
March 26, 2017, 11:35am

Vodka Drinker
I find all the talk about wingers strange as it seems pretty clear that Bignot does not favour that style of play at all otherwise he would be playing wide men. On the evidence so far this is alien to him and would sooner play a systems game that baffles everyone - including the players.

At the recent forum MB said that there are only three ways to play football ; down the wings, through the middle or over the middle and he wants his teams to be able to play all three, even within a game. On that basis he does want to use wingers but quite possibly he doesn't push that route at the moment because , apart from Tombola, we don't really have any decent wingers.

"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 131
Swansea_Mariner
March 26, 2017, 12:42pm
Whiskey Drinker
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Gold Stars: 63
Is the system too complex, is that the reason we look disjointed?

Hopefully it will bed in over the remaining games and preseason and we can get out of the traps quickly next year.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 26, 2017, 1:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Look at most top teams and you'll struggle to name a winger, most teams are based on a system similar to ours
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2017, 1:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
We don't have the personnel to play FB and Winger partnerships up and down the flans at the moment as there is no credible left winger, I hope this changes next season and we see some options in the way we set up. The ability to get in behind teams is something that we have missed.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 131
gtfc82
March 26, 2017, 2:13pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +8 / -4
Approval: +616
The reason why most teams at this level play 442 is because the players haven't got the ability to play more advanced systems! Hence why 352 was abandoned pretty quickly by Bignot. A straightforward 442, with attacking wingers and supporting full backs is what most players feel comfortable with. That IMO is what Bignot should focus on next season!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 26, 2017, 5:11pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from gtfc82
The reason why most teams at this level play 442 is because the players haven't got the ability to play more advanced systems! Hence why 352 was abandoned pretty quickly by Bignot. A straightforward 442, with attacking wingers and supporting full backs is what most players feel comfortable with. That IMO is what Bignot should focus on next season!

A straightforward 4-4-2 gets buried in this league because other teams play three, sometimes four central midfielders and cut down space. Attacking wingers are a rare commodity in any league and the best attacking wide players in the Prem tend to be full backs (Walker, Rose, Clyne, Alonso, Bertrand, Bellerin, Valencia, Coleman)
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 131
headingly_mariner
March 26, 2017, 5:45pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Look at most top teams and you'll struggle to name a winger, most teams are based on a system similar to ours

There are wide players though. We don't have any with or pace other than bolarinwa. I can't imagine many other sides play 5 central midfielders in 5 of the 6 midfield and attacking positions.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 26, 2017, 5:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker

There are wide players though. We don't have any with or pace other than bolarinwa. I can't imagine many other sides play 5 central midfielders in 5 of the 6 midfield and attacking positions.

As I said, most wide players play in defensive positions.
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 26, 2017, 5:56pm

Barley Wine Drinker
I think we abandoned 3 - 5 -2 as none of the centre backs could effectively start play, possibly not their fault as it may have been due to the lack of movement in front of them. The system would not be that much of a discussion if we could pass and move to a reasonable level

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 26, 2017, 7:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Seems like another manager is having fun with formations

9 hours ago northwestman likes this
Quote  Post Options
Post by ssshrew on 9 hours ago
camdenshrew Avatar
9 hours ago camdenshrew said:
Hurst explained the reason he went with that formation was to match Bolton's set-up. I wouldn't expect to see it deployed again in the near future.
I hope not.  Picking our team to match the opposition was MMs great scheme. It didn't work then either.

Private Message
Reply: 99 - 131
March 27, 2017, 1:18pm
Guest User
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Seems like another manager is having fun with formations

9 hours ago northwestman likes this
Quote  Post Options
Post by ssshrew on 9 hours ago
camdenshrew Avatar
9 hours ago camdenshrew said:
Hurst explained the reason he went with that formation was to match Bolton's set-up. I wouldn't expect to see it deployed again in the near future.
I hope not.  Picking our team to match the opposition was MMs great scheme. It didn't work then either.

Its not looking great for the shrews, be great to play em next season, like an old reunion!

Reply: 100 - 131
rancido
March 27, 2017, 5:37pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC
I think we abandoned 3 - 5 -2 as none of the centre backs could effectively start play, possibly not their fault as it may have been due to the lack of movement in front of them. The system would not be that much of a discussion if we could pass and move to a reasonable level

I think you are correct here. Although Pearson and Collins are quite comfortable bringing the ball out of defence, Boyce looks very uncomfortable attempting that. With the right players 3-5-2 can be a very potent formation but you do need the right calibre of players at the back.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 131
Mariner_09
March 27, 2017, 7:03pm
Whiskey Drinker
You need at least 2 of them to be either very athletic or comfortable on the ball, you need 2 very fit and athletic wing backs as well.

Private Message
Reply: 102 - 131
1mickylyons
March 28, 2017, 7:08am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,380
Gold Stars: 56
Thoughts on Bignot?

Not impressed at all so far and I would like to see a massive improvement on the playing side of things !
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 131
grimsby pete
March 28, 2017, 12:46pm

Exile
If I had the choice of having Hurst for another 5 years reaching the play offs but failing to get us promoted,

Or Marcus keeping us nice and safe in mid table  I would choose Marcus any day,

The reason is Hurst used to bore me to death,

BUT

I do not think we will be mid table next season Marcus has nearly got the team and infrastructure in place,

It will not take him 5 years to get us promoted I am sure of that.

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 131
Mariner_09
March 28, 2017, 5:23pm
Whiskey Drinker
I'm happy to take any kind of dullness or over the top rubbish talk if the flip side of that is that we win games and achieve something, which Hurst did! I'd even have been able to cope with Adkins' "process goals" and "performing basic tasks well to an elite level" if it meant we won!

Private Message
Reply: 105 - 131
headingly_mariner
March 28, 2017, 6:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete
If I had the choice of having Hurst for another 5 years reaching the play offs but failing to get us promoted,

BUT

I do not think we will be mid table next season Marcus has nearly got the team and infrastructure in place,

I'd have Hurst in a heartbeat.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 28, 2017, 7:26pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Mariner_09
I'm happy to take any kind of dullness or over the top rubbish talk if the flip side of that is that we win games and achieve something, which Hurst did! I'd even have been able to cope with Adkins' "process goals" and "performing basic tasks well to an elite level" if it meant we won!

With our budget and support, we were always likely to 'achieve something' - pity it took so flipping long. Why do people struggle with the notion that we are now less likely to achieve because we are operating at a higher level and why can't people grasp the notion that Bignot is not prepared to stick with what he inherited?
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 28, 2017, 10:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from grimsby pete

BUT

Get all the Hurst took ages stuff but..........

For 2 years he was a double act with that tw@t Scott, 3rd we where not good enough but some dodgy reffing may have edged us out versus Gateshead, following season lost on peno's so as close as you can get, last season we got up. Possibly he played boring pragmatic football because many non league players are not capable of much else, that's why they are not playing in the EFL in the main.

People need to manage their expectations as I reckon realistically it will be the season after next at least before Marcus takes us up unless we have run at the POs at the right time. Not because he'll do anything particularly badly but there is a massive amount of development to do with this squad and there could easily well be 4 teams at least with bigger budgets and better squads.

Play offs versus mid table? I'd take play offs every time, extra gate money, bit of Sky money, Wembley money & merchandising sales if you get to the final and possibly helps you recruit better players for the following season even if you fall short as you will be seen as a credible promotion side. Also I reckon if we had been mid table the season before last Operation Promotion would have never have happened.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 29, 2017, 6:59am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Get all the Hurst took ages stuff but..........

For 2 years he was a double act with that tw@t Scott, 3rd we where not good enough but some dodgy reffing may have edged us out versus Gateshead, following season lost on peno's so as close as you can get, last season we got up. Possibly he played boring pragmatic football because many non league players are not capable of much else, that's why they are not playing in the EFL in the main.

People need to manage their expectations as I reckon realistically it will be the season after next at least before Marcus takes us up unless we have run at the POs at the right time. Not because he'll do anything particularly badly but there is a massive amount of development to do with this squad and there could easily well be 4 teams at least with bigger budgets and better squads.

Play offs versus mid table? I'd take play offs every time, extra gate money, bit of Sky money, Wembley money & merchandising sales if you get to the final and possibly helps you recruit better players for the following season even if you fall short as you will be seen as a credible promotion side. Also I reckon if we had been mid table the season before last Operation Promotion would have never have happened.  

Good point in bold - add to that the size of the clubs coming down and the re-development of the club off the field and it's not likely to be as easy as some make out. That said, if we had kept Omar and Henderson, I believe we would have made the play-offs.
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 131
Cloudy
March 29, 2017, 8:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Good point in bold - add to that the size of the clubs coming down and the re-development of the club off the field and it's not likely to be as easy as some make out. That said, if we had kept Omar and Henderson, I believe we would have made the play-offs.

You keep referring to this mythical group who believe we should be winning every week or who believe it will be easy? Who exactly is in this group? I've yet to come across any members

Private Message
Reply: 110 - 131
Stranger in the Park
March 29, 2017, 2:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
By recent standards town are having a mediocre season and the biggest majority of players brought in are lower league hopeful's or league cast off's, coupled with a lower league hopeful manager. You reap what you sow! Fourth division football has always been dire and possibly even harder than the Conference to escape from and given the acquisitions this season and their performances I am not optimistic that Bignot will progress this club.Sooner or later John Fenty will question the value of a lot of the current squad if performances do not improve and in turn question Bignots ability.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 29, 2017, 4:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
By recent standards town are having a mediocre season and the biggest majority of players brought in are lower league hopeful's or league cast off's, coupled with a lower league hopeful manager. You reap what you sow! Fourth division football has always been dire and possibly even harder than the Conference to escape from and given the acquisitions this season and their performances I am not optimistic that Bignot will progress this club.Sooner or later John Fenty will question the value of a lot of the current squad if performances do not improve and in turn question Bignots ability.    

Recent standards are non-league with a budget in the top 5 of that division playing against several part-time clubs. I don't know how you can compare the two - were you happy with the club being non-league?
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 131
barralad
March 29, 2017, 5:46pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.32
Rep Score: +85 / -22
Approval: +9,267
Gold Stars: 121

We've had our best season for 11 years...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 131
Stranger in the Park
March 29, 2017, 5:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Some supporters turn up out of blind faith, others turn up hoping to be entertained and see a result . I am not so blind that I cannot see that a lot of things are very wrong in so many departments.I watched a team that I was proud to say I supported last year despite the league we were in.I really wish I could say that now.I am desperately disappointed with performances this season and the lack of cohesion in the side and see little chance of improvement on the evidence so far. I know that I am not on my own with these thoughts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 131
rancido
March 29, 2017, 5:53pm

Vodka Drinker

MB was himself a " league cast-off " and made good after he was 24. He , above anybody else, know that being rejected by a league club doesn't mean you can't break through at a later date. We have recently sold a " lower league hopeful " for a seven figure sum.
Four clubs are promoted rom league two and two from the Conference so I don't agree with your statement about the difficulty of promotion from our league..

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 131
Swansea_Mariner
March 29, 2017, 6:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
By this counterintuitive logic if we'd failed to go up last year and limped into the playoffs again we would be considered to have had a better season than what we've achieved this year!?!

That's the difference between absolute and relative performance.

As pointed out above best season in 11 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 131
grimsby pete
March 29, 2017, 6:37pm

Exile
The good thing about this league is if we finish 7th next season,

We could still go up  

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 131
acko338
March 29, 2017, 7:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,225
Gold Stars: 33
Tougher league this year - just ask Cheltenham if they would like to be mid table like us?

A lot of stuff is now getting in place to sort out the behinds scenes situations - reserves, youths etc and also scouting and research for players.

I agree that the first team hasn't clicked into top form, but Omar going along with Henderson's loan finishing abruptly didn't help.

I am happy to wait for the pre season now and see who leaves, and who is signed ready for next year.

Once Bignot has the new side in place , then it is totally up to him to get the players in board to produce wins and a good style of playing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 131
Bristol Mariner
March 29, 2017, 9:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
I'll say this.. how many of you fine lot have walked into a job and set the world alight within months? I'm sure MB was picked for the long haul. Plymouth and Portsmouth have been down here for a bit, after all those years in the conference we've not got the set up, playing staff and infrastructure yet to challenge. We will do, time my friends, time.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 131
LondonMariner43
March 30, 2017, 7:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,935
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
I'll say this.. how many of you fine lot have walked into a job and set the world alight within months? I'm sure MB was picked for the long haul. Plymouth and Portsmouth have been down here for a bit, after all those years in the conference we've not got the set up, playing staff and infrastructure yet to challenge. We will do, time my friends, time.

Agree 100%.  The case of Omar showed how a non league player can be nurtured into a £1m+ player.  People seem to forget how instrumental MB was in Omar's career not just at Solihull but also at Town.  PH didn't get the best out of Omar but he was on fire after MB joined.  It seems MB may have ruffled a few senior players but the fact that two players signed from Solihull suggests there's a few players that respect him and want to play for him.

He said in January that a lot of his signings were with an eye to next season.  In January we lost our two best players and it's clear MB is trying out a few things to try and work out how to get the best from this squad.

Judge him first at the end of next season and again at the end of the season after.

If he gets us promoted in 2-3 years, isn't that a job very well done!?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 30, 2017, 7:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Agree 100%.  The case of Omar showed how a non league player can be nurtured into a £1m+ player.  People seem to forget how instrumental MB was in Omar's career not just at Solihull but also at Town.  PH didn't get the best out of Omar but he was on fire after MB joined.  It seems MB may have ruffled a few senior players but the fact that two players signed from Solihull suggests there's a few players that respect him and want to play for him.

He said in January that a lot of his signings were with an eye to next season.  In January we lost our two best players and it's clear MB is trying out a few things to try and work out how to get the best from this squad.

Judge him first at the end of next season and again at the end of the season after.

If he gets us promoted in 2-3 years, isn't that a job very well done!?

Nah he was sh1t under Hurst all he did was emerge and make the journey from the 6th tier into the EFL, get selected for England C, score the winner in the PO semi, and a brace in the PO final and then his score his first professional hat trick under Hurst as well as a few winning goals versus Newport, Mansfield and a brace at Luton.............Crap that Hurst should have been sacked for Omar's under performance in that period.    

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 131
Maringer
March 30, 2017, 7:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Erm, Bogle scored 9 in 14 League appearances under Hurst. Then another 10 in 13 appearances after that.

Hardly a night and day difference between those records!

I'm not daft enough to think that Bignot should be sacked but let's not try to rewrite history here!

Statistically Bignots record this season has been inferior to that of Hurst but in truth, the difference has actually been pretty much entirely down to Bogle's presence. The points/game record for Bogle's time in the team is pretty much identical to the period when Hurst was in charge. Since he left during Bignot's tenure, the record is obviously much worse as there was no real chance to replace him.

As I've noted before, my only really issue with Bignot is that I still don't know how he really wants to team to play, judging by what I've seen on the field of play, not from what he's said in the media. With Hurst, for good or ill, you knew that he was trying to get the team to do - it was often a pretty limited gameplan especially against the massed defences we often faced, but it was generally a clear plan.

I just want us to see a bit more cohesiveness during the rest of the season and, hopefully, some decent results will come from that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 131
bradzmilne
April 1, 2017, 1:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,385
Gold Stars: 29
I'm very much pro Bignot and was very anti Hurst - although not particularly verbally on here. All I'll say is that the day Marcus leaves us it will be for a much bigger club than Shrewsbury.

I think in terms of management their both at a very similar level but just because Marcus is a genuinely likeable guy will take him to the next level. I don't think anyone can disagree that he comes across fantastically in the media ?

You have to remember what MB has had too deal with since coming, selling out best player for £1 million +, losing Dean Henderson (you could even argue we lost of best and second best player within the matter of days) and having to deal with a side that had not a single capable central midfielder. I know now we seem too have too many - but you can't for one minute say its not been strengthened since MB joined us ?

I think a lot of the signings were probably intended for the summer but once we knew that they were available, signing them in January was the best option all round. I was reading CodAlmighty today and it said that its a real shame we didn't really push for the POs this season - in once sense, yes. I don't think that many teams are much better than us - on our day, however at the moment 13 teams are more consistent. With that said, with a pre season under his belt, do I think MB will be the man to propel us too the POs next season? I can 100% honestly say yes.

UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 131
Cloudy
April 1, 2017, 7:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from bradzmilne
I'm very much pro Bignot and was very anti Hurst - although not particularly verbally on here. All I'll say is that the day Marcus leaves us it will be for a much bigger club than Shrewsbury.

I think in terms of management their both at a very similar level but just because Marcus is a genuinely likeable guy will take him to the next level. I don't think anyone can disagree that he comes across fantastically in the media ?

You have to remember what MB has had too deal with since coming, selling out best player for £1 million +, losing Dean Henderson (you could even argue we lost of best and second best player within the matter of days) and having to deal with a side that had not a single capable central midfielder. I know now we seem too have too many - but you can't for one minute say its not been strengthened since MB joined us ?

I think a lot of the signings were probably intended for the summer but once we knew that they were available, signing them in January was the best option all round. I was reading CodAlmighty today and it said that its a real shame we didn't really push for the POs this season - in once sense, yes. I don't think that many teams are much better than us - on our day, however at the moment 13 teams are more consistent. With that said, with a pre season under his belt, do I think MB will be the man to propel us too the POs next season? I can 100% honestly say yes.

UTM

Perfectly entitled to your view Brad but you cannot speak for everyone!

one mans likeable and fantastic is another's insincere and crass!
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 131
golfer
April 1, 2017, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,418
Gold Stars: 115
I have been for Bignot since he joined us but doubts are sneaking in. Could he be too stubborn--I wonder . But saying that my opinion is still open until he gets a full season. I want to go home happy now and again-it's not too much to ask.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 131
MuddyWaters
April 1, 2017, 9:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....88-detail/story.html

Well, it looks like the board are going to give him the time he needs, so we'd better get used to it.
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 131
Tinymariner
April 1, 2017, 10:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Everyone that has commented on this thread has a valid point. I myself do not like MB's style of play but believe we have yet to see what he has to offer. I will reserve my full judgement until later on next season when he has had time to buy the players he needs, to execute his plans. UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 131
Pastandpresent
April 1, 2017, 10:37am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -226
I'm starting to think his hands are tied as to what he wants to bring in next season , 4 loan players equates to 1 decent player wages  , Collins Pearson , gunning all. Could go leaving 1 centre back in Boyce
  Berrett , summerfield macallister , brown to come back , to go to the next level needs proven players that means paying decent wages
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 131
TAGG
April 1, 2017, 11:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Very very confused Bignot and me both!!!!!

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 131
Swansea_Mariner
April 1, 2017, 11:32am
Whiskey Drinker
Quoted from Maringer
Erm, Bogle scored 9 in 14 League appearances under Hurst. Then another 10 in 13 appearances after that.

Hardly a night and day difference between those records!

I'm not daft enough to think that Bignot should be sacked but let's not try to rewrite history here!

Statistically Bignots record this season has been inferior to that of Hurst but in truth, the difference has actually been pretty much entirely down to Bogle's presence. The points/game record for Bogle's time in the team is pretty much identical to the period when Hurst was in charge. Since he left during Bignot's tenure, the record is obviously much worse as there was no real chance to replace him.

I think if we're going to be fair about it we should compare Bignots and Hursts first seasons in charge, rather than this season. Don't know statistically how that fairs but I imagine it's quite even, think we finished 11th in the conference that year.

As for Bogle  everyone seems to have forgotten how Hurst left him out quite a lot last year, in preference for non-scoring loan players. In fact the relationship looked quite rocky at one point. He didn't start the season as first choice either, rather his form forced him in.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 131
HertsGTFC
April 1, 2017, 12:27pm

Barley Wine Drinker
How can you compare any managers first season? Different managers, different league, different squads, different budgets and what people fail to understand on here different times!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 131
14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.