Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 303 Guests

Thoughts on Bignot?

This thread currently has 21,078 views. Print
14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
LondonMariner43
March 30, 2017, 7:12pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +19 / -4
Approval: +3,942
Gold Stars: 64
Quoted from Bristol Mariner
I'll say this.. how many of you fine lot have walked into a job and set the world alight within months? I'm sure MB was picked for the long haul. Plymouth and Portsmouth have been down here for a bit, after all those years in the conference we've not got the set up, playing staff and infrastructure yet to challenge. We will do, time my friends, time.

Agree 100%.  The case of Omar showed how a non league player can be nurtured into a £1m+ player.  People seem to forget how instrumental MB was in Omar's career not just at Solihull but also at Town.  PH didn't get the best out of Omar but he was on fire after MB joined.  It seems MB may have ruffled a few senior players but the fact that two players signed from Solihull suggests there's a few players that respect him and want to play for him.

He said in January that a lot of his signings were with an eye to next season.  In January we lost our two best players and it's clear MB is trying out a few things to try and work out how to get the best from this squad.

Judge him first at the end of next season and again at the end of the season after.

If he gets us promoted in 2-3 years, isn't that a job very well done!?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 30, 2017, 7:49pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.27
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,908
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from LondonMariner43

Agree 100%.  The case of Omar showed how a non league player can be nurtured into a £1m+ player.  People seem to forget how instrumental MB was in Omar's career not just at Solihull but also at Town.  PH didn't get the best out of Omar but he was on fire after MB joined.  It seems MB may have ruffled a few senior players but the fact that two players signed from Solihull suggests there's a few players that respect him and want to play for him.

He said in January that a lot of his signings were with an eye to next season.  In January we lost our two best players and it's clear MB is trying out a few things to try and work out how to get the best from this squad.

Judge him first at the end of next season and again at the end of the season after.

If he gets us promoted in 2-3 years, isn't that a job very well done!?

Nah he was sh1t under Hurst all he did was emerge and make the journey from the 6th tier into the EFL, get selected for England C, score the winner in the PO semi, and a brace in the PO final and then his score his first professional hat trick under Hurst as well as a few winning goals versus Newport, Mansfield and a brace at Luton.............Crap that Hurst should have been sacked for Omar's under performance in that period.    

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 131
Maringer
March 30, 2017, 7:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,476
Gold Stars: 185
Erm, Bogle scored 9 in 14 League appearances under Hurst. Then another 10 in 13 appearances after that.

Hardly a night and day difference between those records!

I'm not daft enough to think that Bignot should be sacked but let's not try to rewrite history here!

Statistically Bignots record this season has been inferior to that of Hurst but in truth, the difference has actually been pretty much entirely down to Bogle's presence. The points/game record for Bogle's time in the team is pretty much identical to the period when Hurst was in charge. Since he left during Bignot's tenure, the record is obviously much worse as there was no real chance to replace him.

As I've noted before, my only really issue with Bignot is that I still don't know how he really wants to team to play, judging by what I've seen on the field of play, not from what he's said in the media. With Hurst, for good or ill, you knew that he was trying to get the team to do - it was often a pretty limited gameplan especially against the massed defences we often faced, but it was generally a clear plan.

I just want us to see a bit more cohesiveness during the rest of the season and, hopefully, some decent results will come from that.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 131
bradzmilne
April 1, 2017, 1:19am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.69
Rep Score: +40 / -7
Approval: +1,400
Gold Stars: 29
I'm very much pro Bignot and was very anti Hurst - although not particularly verbally on here. All I'll say is that the day Marcus leaves us it will be for a much bigger club than Shrewsbury.

I think in terms of management their both at a very similar level but just because Marcus is a genuinely likeable guy will take him to the next level. I don't think anyone can disagree that he comes across fantastically in the media ?

You have to remember what MB has had too deal with since coming, selling out best player for £1 million +, losing Dean Henderson (you could even argue we lost of best and second best player within the matter of days) and having to deal with a side that had not a single capable central midfielder. I know now we seem too have too many - but you can't for one minute say its not been strengthened since MB joined us ?

I think a lot of the signings were probably intended for the summer but once we knew that they were available, signing them in January was the best option all round. I was reading CodAlmighty today and it said that its a real shame we didn't really push for the POs this season - in once sense, yes. I don't think that many teams are much better than us - on our day, however at the moment 13 teams are more consistent. With that said, with a pre season under his belt, do I think MB will be the man to propel us too the POs next season? I can 100% honestly say yes.

UTM

Sleep well Icey, Matty and Richard. Keep each other company up there xx

4 Relegations in 18 Years - John Fenty’s legacy.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 131
Cloudy
April 1, 2017, 7:41am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from bradzmilne
I'm very much pro Bignot and was very anti Hurst - although not particularly verbally on here. All I'll say is that the day Marcus leaves us it will be for a much bigger club than Shrewsbury.

I think in terms of management their both at a very similar level but just because Marcus is a genuinely likeable guy will take him to the next level. I don't think anyone can disagree that he comes across fantastically in the media ?

You have to remember what MB has had too deal with since coming, selling out best player for £1 million +, losing Dean Henderson (you could even argue we lost of best and second best player within the matter of days) and having to deal with a side that had not a single capable central midfielder. I know now we seem too have too many - but you can't for one minute say its not been strengthened since MB joined us ?

I think a lot of the signings were probably intended for the summer but once we knew that they were available, signing them in January was the best option all round. I was reading CodAlmighty today and it said that its a real shame we didn't really push for the POs this season - in once sense, yes. I don't think that many teams are much better than us - on our day, however at the moment 13 teams are more consistent. With that said, with a pre season under his belt, do I think MB will be the man to propel us too the POs next season? I can 100% honestly say yes.

UTM

Perfectly entitled to your view Brad but you cannot speak for everyone!

one mans likeable and fantastic is another's insincere and crass!
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 131
golfer
April 1, 2017, 9:29am
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.30
Rep Score: +34 / -18
Approval: +3,425
Gold Stars: 115
I have been for Bignot since he joined us but doubts are sneaking in. Could he be too stubborn--I wonder . But saying that my opinion is still open until he gets a full season. I want to go home happy now and again-it's not too much to ask.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 131
MuddyWaters
April 1, 2017, 9:41am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,235
Gold Stars: 235
http://www.grimsbytelegraph.co.....88-detail/story.html

Well, it looks like the board are going to give him the time he needs, so we'd better get used to it.
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 131
Tinymariner
April 1, 2017, 10:11am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +30 / -2
Approval: +1,456
Gold Stars: 12
Everyone that has commented on this thread has a valid point. I myself do not like MB's style of play but believe we have yet to see what he has to offer. I will reserve my full judgement until later on next season when he has had time to buy the players he needs, to execute his plans. UTM

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 131
Pastandpresent
April 1, 2017, 10:37am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.05
Rep Score: +3 / 0
Approval: -226
I'm starting to think his hands are tied as to what he wants to bring in next season , 4 loan players equates to 1 decent player wages  , Collins Pearson , gunning all. Could go leaving 1 centre back in Boyce
  Berrett , summerfield macallister , brown to come back , to go to the next level needs proven players that means paying decent wages
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 131
TAGG
April 1, 2017, 11:14am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,960
Gold Stars: 124
Very very confused Bignot and me both!!!!!

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 131
14 Pages Prev ... 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.