Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 314 Guests

Thoughts on Bignot?

This thread currently has 21,008 views. Print
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Cloudy
March 29, 2017, 8:02am
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.15
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Good point in bold - add to that the size of the clubs coming down and the re-development of the club off the field and it's not likely to be as easy as some make out. That said, if we had kept Omar and Henderson, I believe we would have made the play-offs.

You keep referring to this mythical group who believe we should be winning every week or who believe it will be easy? Who exactly is in this group? I've yet to come across any members

Private Message
Reply: 110 - 131
Stranger in the Park
March 29, 2017, 2:44pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
By recent standards town are having a mediocre season and the biggest majority of players brought in are lower league hopeful's or league cast off's, coupled with a lower league hopeful manager. You reap what you sow! Fourth division football has always been dire and possibly even harder than the Conference to escape from and given the acquisitions this season and their performances I am not optimistic that Bignot will progress this club.Sooner or later John Fenty will question the value of a lot of the current squad if performances do not improve and in turn question Bignots ability.    
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 29, 2017, 4:31pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +31,883
Gold Stars: 230
By recent standards town are having a mediocre season and the biggest majority of players brought in are lower league hopeful's or league cast off's, coupled with a lower league hopeful manager. You reap what you sow! Fourth division football has always been dire and possibly even harder than the Conference to escape from and given the acquisitions this season and their performances I am not optimistic that Bignot will progress this club.Sooner or later John Fenty will question the value of a lot of the current squad if performances do not improve and in turn question Bignots ability.    

Recent standards are non-league with a budget in the top 5 of that division playing against several part-time clubs. I don't know how you can compare the two - were you happy with the club being non-league?
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 131
barralad
March 29, 2017, 5:46pm
Mariners Trust
Posts Per Day: 2.33
Rep Score: +86 / -20
Approval: +9,196
Gold Stars: 121

We've had our best season for 11 years...

The aim of argument or discussion should not be victory but progress.

Joseph Joubert.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 131
Stranger in the Park
March 29, 2017, 5:46pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
Some supporters turn up out of blind faith, others turn up hoping to be entertained and see a result . I am not so blind that I cannot see that a lot of things are very wrong in so many departments.I watched a team that I was proud to say I supported last year despite the league we were in.I really wish I could say that now.I am desperately disappointed with performances this season and the lack of cohesion in the side and see little chance of improvement on the evidence so far. I know that I am not on my own with these thoughts.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 131
rancido
March 29, 2017, 5:53pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,449
Gold Stars: 93

MB was himself a " league cast-off " and made good after he was 24. He , above anybody else, know that being rejected by a league club doesn't mean you can't break through at a later date. We have recently sold a " lower league hopeful " for a seven figure sum.
Four clubs are promoted rom league two and two from the Conference so I don't agree with your statement about the difficulty of promotion from our league..

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 131
Swansea_Mariner
March 29, 2017, 6:28pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +22 / -3
Approval: +6,386
Gold Stars: 62
By this counterintuitive logic if we'd failed to go up last year and limped into the playoffs again we would be considered to have had a better season than what we've achieved this year!?!

That's the difference between absolute and relative performance.

As pointed out above best season in 11 years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 131
grimsby pete
March 29, 2017, 6:37pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.83
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,753
Gold Stars: 221
The good thing about this league is if we finish 7th next season,

We could still go up  

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 131
acko338
March 29, 2017, 7:35pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.83
Rep Score: +43 / -6
Approval: +3,211
Gold Stars: 33
Tougher league this year - just ask Cheltenham if they would like to be mid table like us?

A lot of stuff is now getting in place to sort out the behinds scenes situations - reserves, youths etc and also scouting and research for players.

I agree that the first team hasn't clicked into top form, but Omar going along with Henderson's loan finishing abruptly didn't help.

I am happy to wait for the pre season now and see who leaves, and who is signed ready for next year.

Once Bignot has the new side in place , then it is totally up to him to get the players in board to produce wins and a good style of playing.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 131
Bristol Mariner
March 29, 2017, 9:13pm

Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +11 / -5
Approval: +2,877
Gold Stars: 79
I'll say this.. how many of you fine lot have walked into a job and set the world alight within months? I'm sure MB was picked for the long haul. Plymouth and Portsmouth have been down here for a bit, after all those years in the conference we've not got the set up, playing staff and infrastructure yet to challenge. We will do, time my friends, time.

GTFC Exile, Bristol Mariners
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 131
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Grismby Town Forum - The Fishy GTFC Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.