Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 389 Guests

Thoughts on Bignot?

This thread currently has 21,079 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2017, 7:55am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,909
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from Zmariner
On 7th Nov 2016 I signed the commitment mail and so I say let's see where we are 10 games into next season. MB is relatively young and although it has been a bit random so far there are some clear weak links in the squad. We need pace at centre back ,a new keeper and pace up front. I say keep the faith and let's see how we do next season when this lot have had a full pre season. I remain optimistic and suspect that the tinkerman will settle down eventually. At this point MB has my full support UTM

Lots of posters are saying we need pacey centre backs but from what I have seen this year we have conceded goals by either being exposed down the flanks, poor defending at corners, free kicks or just plain error. Shaun and Danny Collins read the game reasonably well and I don't recall many occasions when they have lost out to strikers in an out and out foot race. Agree about the keepr as well as retaining the likes of Shaun, The Danny's and possibly Vose, I think the priority is a striker who can be a "Jonny on the spot" and a solution to both the left and right hand sides going forward.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 131
oldun
March 21, 2017, 8:01am

Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.90
Rep Score: +57 / -5
Approval: +3,475
Quoted from Zmariner
On 7th Nov 2016 I signed the commitment mail and so I say let's see where we are 10 games into next season. MB is relatively young and although it has been a bit random so far there are some clear weak links in the squad. We need pace at centre back ,a new keeper and pace up front. I say keep the faith and let's see how we do next season when this lot have had a full pre season. I remain optimistic and suspect that the tinkerman will settle down eventually. At this point MB has my full support UTM

10 games into next season is hardly "full" support. As I have already said, he may well need at least two more seasons to get us where we all want to be.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 131
Zmariner
March 21, 2017, 10:17am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
I think if we were at the bottom going into November next season question would be asked. Not looking for miracles just a bit of progress and stability. I expect we will be st least half way and MB will have us more consistent by then, that will be enough for me. We must never drop out of the league again UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2017, 10:23am

Barley Wine Drinker
I think Oldun I right I expect us to be mid table next season but playing a type of football that the fans understand and looks like ultimately will deliver success.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 131
headingly_mariner
March 21, 2017, 10:38am

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from chaos33
Interesting point raised on Amond nonetheless. Had we found a way to retain him, his goals this season may just have been enough to sustain an actual play off push (rather than the imagined feeble attempt much talked about this season). Pigheadedness and a lack of persistence and imagination lost Amond. Had we found a way to keep him (and Arnold), we would, I feel, have been actual contenders this season, rather than also-rans.

Completely agree, both players that could've played a really big part this season. They would both walk into our side now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 74 - 131
forza ivano
March 21, 2017, 11:27am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,159
Gold Stars: 265
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Amond, before he joined GTFC, had a pretty average record in L2 and hasn't improved massively this season. Similarly, Arnold has never cut it in L2. Pigheaded in some people's minds, a solid evaluation of a player's level in others - all about opinions!

13 in 38 games in a struggling side ain't bad!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 131
chaos33
March 21, 2017, 9:38pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
Quoted from forza ivano

13 in 38 games in a struggling side ain't bad!

Exactly my point. He might have scored 15-20 goals for us, and that would have given us a better shot at the top 7. Hurst didn't really rate Amond and that's a fact.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 21, 2017, 9:48pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Exactly my point. He might have scored 15-20 goals for us, and that would have given us a better shot at the top 7. Hurst didn't really rate Amond and that's a fact.

chao how do you really know that's a fact, he rated him enough to sign him. On Saturday in the 1st half Osborne played a really good ball across the Crawley six yard box and no Town player was anywhere near it, that would have been ripe for Amond. Its hard to ay how many goals he would have got as pretty much most of the season our delivery into the box has been poor.  

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 131
chaos33
March 21, 2017, 10:05pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,929
Gold Stars: 357
I was told he didn't really rate Amond 'all round' by someone who knew, and Hurst's actions spoke louder than words at times. The fact that Hurst wasn't that persistent in trying to sign him once we'd made L2 underlines the point. The line was ...we made him a mid season offer, and then another at the end of the season, and it was 'take it or leave it'. Clearly there was some resentment that he didn't sign the earlier offer, and the Hartlepool deal was also evidently much better than Town's proposal, which can only be seen as a reflection of how Hurst thought of him as a L2 prospect - a judgement call Hurst got wrong the stats would suggest.

As regards Arnold - it's been reported on many occasions that the offer he received was 'not attractive' shall we say. I don't know the particulars, but Arnold's affection for the club was very clearly evident and outlined lots of times by the player. He did not sign it and the club did not go out of its way to chase him. There's an offer, take it or leave it being the order of the day it seemed. I think Arnold would've been great in our team in L2 this season - but instead, we have played a full campaign without a left winger, so, IMO another judgement call Hurst got wrong, and the justification for the 'pigheaded' comment I made earlier.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 21, 2017, 10:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from chaos33
I was told he didn't really rate Amond 'all round' by someone who knew, and Hurst's actions spoke louder than words at times. The fact that Hurst wasn't that persistent in trying to sign him once we'd made L2 underlines the point. The line was ...we made him a mid season offer, and then another at the end of the season, and it was 'take it or leave it'. Clearly there was some resentment that he didn't sign the earlier offer, and the Hartlepool deal was also evidently much better than Town's proposal, which can only be seen as a reflection of how Hurst thought of him as a L2 prospect - a judgement call Hurst got wrong the stats would suggest.

As regards Arnold - it's been reported on many occasions that the offer he received was 'not attractive' shall we say. I don't know the particulars, but Arnold's affection for the club was very clearly evident and outlined lots of times by the player. He did not sign it and the club did not go out of its way to chase him. There's an offer, take it or leave it being the order of the day it seemed. I think Arnold would've been great in our team in L2 this season - but instead, we have played a full campaign without a left winger, so, IMO another judgement call Hurst got wrong, and the justification for the 'pigheaded' comment I made earlier.

But that underlines the point - neither of these decisions can in any way be pointed at Bignot.
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 131
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.