Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?
Users Browsing Forum
AdSense and 301 Guests

Thoughts on Bignot?

This thread currently has 21,080 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
MuddyWaters
March 19, 2017, 2:25pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,234
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from oldun
I seem to remember the Hurst out banner on the fly over, a few weeks before we achieved promotion. Things can turn fairly quickly.

Just seen this on Shrews forum regarding PH substitutions - he hasn't changed!

Mellon and Turner used to criticised for subbing by numbers - I'm wondering if Hurst does the same thing. In the last two games we've waited until 70 min mark for a change when arguably it needed making 15 mins earlier. Certainly last night we needed to be a bit more proactive.

Private Message
Reply: 50 - 131
buckstown
March 19, 2017, 2:56pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.41
Rep Score: +16 / -6
Approval: +5,179
Gold Stars: 79
I think Headingly has hit the nail on the head. In my opinion there are very few genuine Town fans who want MB out, you have to give people time. I'm not particularly impressed at the moment and I can handle defeats no problem. Its the manner of some of the performances that have alarms ringing for me.
I've yet to see a just back thread where most people thought we performed reasonably well for 90 mins and the games I've seen we've been very mediocre.
I'm in favour of continuity but maybe he could help me to understand the strategy
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 131
Cloudy
March 19, 2017, 3:14pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.14
Rep Score: +17 / -8
Approval: +6,431
Quoted from buckstown
I think Headingly has hit the nail on the head. In my opinion there are very few genuine Town fans who want MB out, you have to give people time. I'm not particularly impressed at the moment and I can handle defeats no problem. Its the manner of some of the performances that have alarms ringing for me.
I've yet to see a just back thread where most people thought we performed reasonably well for 90 mins and the games I've seen we've been very mediocre.
I'm in favour of continuity but maybe he could help me to understand the strategy

Exactly. Plymouth away was the most complete performance I have seen. Bignots 1st away game. Lots more o

f changes since then but no big strides forward as yet
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 131
headingly_mariner
March 19, 2017, 4:48pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,342
Gold Stars: 113
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Just seen this on Shrews forum regarding PH substitutions - he hasn't changed!

Mellon and Turner used to criticised for subbing by numbers - I'm wondering if Hurst does the same thing. In the last two games we've waited until 70 min mark for a change when arguably it needed making 15 mins earlier. Certainly last night we needed to be a bit more proactive.

How many points off safety were they when he took charge?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 131
Lincoln Mariner 56
March 19, 2017, 4:52pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,688
Gold Stars: 73
Think the article is interesting from two factors that will be of vital importance to the future of GTFC:
1) the clear emphasis he puts on building an infrastructure that is financially sustainable
2) the high regard he appears to held in as a coach.

The former is something he is already trying to put in place and will obviously be a few seasons before the club reaps any real benefits from it.

The latter is where we are yet to see any great evidence of given the disjointed performances to date. However, like others have remarked some publicity in relation to the project in hand and timescale would maybe help alleviate some of the more critical although for some instant success, like coffee, is a necessity. After 50 plus years watching town I am happy to be patient but would like to see more attacking flair in the meantime and next season will obviously tell us much more.

One final comment coming home from the match yesterday I switched to BBC Lincs to see if more earache was coming my way re the Chimps to hear Grantham's manager being interviewed and speaking very highly of our Harry so we could have a good young un on the way through the ranks, lets hope so.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 131
Stranger in the Park
March 20, 2017, 11:53am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
I admit I am not a fan of PB.Why? because I go to BP to be entertained yet all I see 90% of the time is disjointed play by a bunch of strangers and at the end have to suffer PB's glib excuses. After decimating an arguably entertaining winning team ,Hurst made quite a few duff buys yet we more than managed to maintain an upper position that flattered us.Given that basis the law of averages dictates that we would at least maintain our status in the league.Despite PB having been a big fish in a little pond before arriving at BP, and bringing in a load of new players,he has not managed to at least play cohesive football on the pitch- which I believe is what most of us want to see.Bogle leaving is the biggest factor in our goal drought but losing Amond as well at the end of last season was also a vital factor in what I see as a decline,after all they were the best pairing up front Town has seen in many seasons. Fourth division football has always been dire and I believe it will take someone with experience to get us out,not someone who cannot maintain a consistency of play.To date I've seen nothing that gives me confidence that he can move us forward. 15 losses and 9 draws already is not entertainment and will lower the attendances for sure.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 131
Barrattstander
March 20, 2017, 12:10pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +875
Gold Stars: 14
I admit I am not a fan of PB.Why? because I go to BP to be entertained yet all I see 90% of the time is disjointed play by a bunch of strangers and at the end have to suffer PB's glib excuses. After decimating an arguably entertaining winning team ,Hurst made quite a few duff buys yet we more than managed to maintain an upper position that flattered us.Given that basis the law of averages dictates that we would at least maintain our status in the league.Despite PB having been a big fish in a little pond before arriving at BP, and bringing in a load of new players,he has not managed to at least play cohesive football on the pitch- which I believe is what most of us want to see.Bogle leaving is the biggest factor in our goal drought but losing Amond as well at the end of last season was also a vital factor in what I see as a decline,after all they were the best pairing up front Town has seen in many seasons. Fourth division football has always been dire and I believe it will take someone with experience to get us out,not someone who cannot maintain a consistency of play.To date I've seen nothing that gives me confidence that he can move us forward. 15 losses and 9 draws already is not entertainment and will lower the attendances for sure.  

Who's PB ??

If you mean Marcus Bignot then you need to getyourfactsright, so to speak.
After exactly half a season in charge his record is
               P.    W.    D.    L.    F.     A.    Pts
              23.   8.     6.     9.    27.   29.    30

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 131
Youngy
March 20, 2017, 12:33pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.22
Rep Score: +14 / -3
Approval: +1,667
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from Barrattstander

Who's PB ??

If you mean Marcus Bignot then you need to getyourfactsright, so to speak.
After exactly half a season in charge his record is
               P.    W.    D.    L.    F.     A.    Pts
              23.   8.     6.     9.    27.   29.    30

This sums it up for me, it's a mid-table record after half a season, could be better, could be worse. There is deffinate room for improvement but also no evidence to hit the panic buttons. It's a record that deserves a pre season that enables him to trim down the squad, bring in a couple more new players and move forward from there.

Strangers in the park - You mentioned about going to BP and wanting to be entertained? Notts County? Accrington? Carlisle? Mansfield? I thought they were all pretty entertaining, espicially the later.

Also what's Almond and Bogle going got to do with Bignott? He wasn't even here for the first and he didn't have a say on the second
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 131
diehardmariner
March 20, 2017, 12:35pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,545
Gold Stars: 537

I think the entertaining element is very arguable.

I'm not saying we're high octane, breathless entertainment under Bignot but let's not forget that we were generally dull as ditchwater for the vast majority of Paul Hurst's reign here.  

Rightly or wrongly, Bignot is having a mid-season during an actual season.  Thankfully we've enough quality to do this without running the risk of relegation.  I am disappointed with how things look to be shaping up and in all honesty I don't see a lot of progress made in terms of tactics and shape, but I can see that the players Bignot has brought in are an upgrade.  Osborne and Jones look like they will be quality moving forward and I'm quite excited to see them with a full pre-season behind them.

We're going nowhere fast this season.  Midtable obscurity is something we would all have taken in July but I can understand, often share, the frustration of such.   Next season is when we can make a fair judgement on Bignot.   Until then there's very little point.
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 131
Stranger in the Park
March 20, 2017, 1:18pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Rep Score: +5 / -2
Approval: -189
Gold Stars: 7
Ok typo accepted I did mean MB not PB. Statistics were straight off the BBC for the whole season but highlight either way our lack of wins -especially at home!. If there was any real evidence that things really have improved I would also say he is ok BUT if our poor showing goes on without improvement and yet another rebuilding exercise has to take place then you might as well be complacent about next season as well and just expect  consolidation.If we have any ambition to progress then please show it ON THE PITCH - not in post match spin.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 131
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.