Welcome, Guest.
Please login or register.
Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?
Users Browsing Forum
No Members and 268 Guests

Thoughts on Bignot?

This thread currently has 21,074 views. Print
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
ginnywings
March 17, 2017, 12:43pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Think the jury is out on any new manager until a certain period of time has passed, and for me that will be well into next season. Despite all the changes, we are still short in certain areas and that limits what we can do formation wise. We were lacking on the left when he came in and we still are, so i expect that to be addressed in the summer. The right side wasn't bursting with talent either with steady eddie Chambers and hit and miss Bolarinwa. The results have held up despite losing Bogle and the team being altered dramatically, so i hope to see what for me is a long term strategy, starting to pay off as the players bond and gain experience. The circumstances of Bignots appointment were not the norm with him coming into a newly promoted side and fans full of hope and expectation. It's a risky strategy doing what he has done and some fans are finding it hard to swallow but ultimately, all will be forgiven if the team starts to click. Whether it does or not remains to be seen, but i'm fairly happy with where were are at right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 131
HertsGTFC
March 17, 2017, 1:20pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,881
Gold Stars: 227
From his appointment up until now he's been busy and my views are ..........

He came in and talked about how he wanted to play which therefore set up a certain expectation from the off. Whether (spelling?) or not this is right will remain to be seen.

The media, certainly put himself out there, Whether or not this is right will remain to be seen.

With the squad changes he has gone for revolution versus evolution, I would have preferred the latter but just because it does not float my boat then it does not mean that it's wrong. Personally I am a bit concerned about the current wage budget especially with home attendances dropping a little. Whether or not this is right will remain to be seen.

The signings, overall despite the lack of experience are a good mix of talent and potential but with some of the potential comes risk on will they or won't they be good enough, remember despite the Omar money we still have not got a big budget so is this is the right strategy? Whether or not this is right will remain to be seen.

The infrastructure, some good stuff started and it all needs to be seen through to deliver benefit. The appointment of Gary Whilde could be good in terms of scouting talent a positive thing........guess what?  Whether or not this is right will remain to be seen.

The shape & selection to set up to get a result is the area I am most concerned about as we have tried lots of things and we need stability and a pattern, can Marcus find this? Whether or not this is right will remain to be seen.

Man management, I have included it but as most of us are not close to the camp are we really qualified to comment? I doubt it. However externally he looks to have discarded/disengaged a few with his changes, signings and press activity, well being a manager is not a popularity contest in any sector, whether or not this is right will remain to be seen.

So overall there is a lot that "remains to be seen" if I was a manager I don't think I would have started so many strands of activity at once but I'm not Marcus is and thus will get my backing until Oct/Nov when he has had a good crack at things, he has some resources we just need to give him time.    

I like legitimate people with big hearts I think Marcus falls into that category and would love to see him do well but I will retain my right to give an opinion game by game regardless of result.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 131
Tommy
March 17, 2017, 1:24pm
Season Ticket Holder
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +60 / -15
Approval: +8,865
Gold Stars: 76
Bignot took over mid season with us in midtable form. Yes we were in the play-offs at some stage but IMO we weren't going to maintain that and were even in inconsistent form to somehow get to that position. Points/results wise, Bignot's record is about the same as Hurst's this season. And considering we lost Bogle that is not bad going.

So yes, we've stood still under Bignot so far rather than going forwards or backwards, but it's only half a season into his reign. How much patience do we have, and how quickly are we now demanding progress all of a sudden?

In Scott and Hurst's first full season in charge we finished 11th in the conference. The exact same position we finished the season before (half under Woods and half under H&S). And I don't remember so many people being against the managers then for lack of progress as there are now, and this is during the same season.

"The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually be afraid you will make one."
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 12 - 131
lew chaterleys lover
March 17, 2017, 2:21pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,658
Gold Stars: 234
Quoted from Tommy
Bignot took over mid season with us in midtable form. Yes we were in the play-offs at some stage but IMO we weren't going to maintain that and were even in inconsistent form to somehow get to that position. Points/results wise, Bignot's record is about the same as Hurst's this season. And considering we lost Bogle that is not bad going.

So yes, we've stood still under Bignot so far rather than going forwards or backwards, but it's only half a season into his reign. How much patience do we have, and how quickly are we now demanding progress all of a sudden?

In Scott and Hurst's first full season in charge we finished 11th in the conference. The exact same position we finished the season before (half under Woods and half under H&S). And I don't remember so many people being against the managers then for lack of progress as there are now, and this is during the same season.

Different circumstances back then obviously. Bignot took over club on the up, back in the league, settled team, gates up, some money to spend in the window, and with a fantastic opportunity to tweak things to give us another great season. It hasn't really happened and we are a bit further back than when he started, but he at least has the opportunity to get it right over the summer and into next season. If he is still shooting from the hip next season, and we are not making the progress we hope, then he knows he will be on borrowed time. That is just the way it is in football; you have to produce a winning team or you are in danger.    
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 131
grimsby pete
March 17, 2017, 2:39pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 9.81
Rep Score: +126 / -28
Approval: +17,781
Gold Stars: 222
We have to remember that Marcus is new to league management and is learning all the time

I feel he took on too much too soon but it might pay off next season when we have a settled squad coming in for pre season training,

I think it would only be fair to judge him in the new year next season,

By then we will be in the play off position looking good for promotion, (  I hope )

With the players he has already brought in we will not need the usual 12 new signings

Over 36 years living in Suffolk but always a mariner.
                             68 Years following the Town

Life member of Trust

First game   April 1955

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 131
Barrattstander
March 17, 2017, 2:58pm

Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.08
Rep Score: +7 / -1
Approval: +868
Gold Stars: 14

Different circumstances back then obviously. Bignot took over club on the up, back in the league, settled team, gates up, some money to spend in the window, and with a fantastic opportunity to tweak things to give us another great season. It hasn't really happened and we are a bit further back than when he started, but he at least has the opportunity to get it right over the summer and into next season. If he is still shooting from the hip next season, and we are not making the progress we hope, then he knows he will be on borrowed time. That is just the way it is in football; you have to produce a winning team or you are in danger.    

Settled team!!!!!
I'm not having that !!!
Beginning the season with only four players who started the play-off final and then picking 21 different players to start games before he slunked off suggests to me that the previous manager was not leaving behind a settled team.

62 Seasons following the Mariners from the Barrett Stand side.(apart from 2020-21)
[img]https://pbs.twimg.com/media/DL2SD1UW4AAfaOx.jpg[/img]
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 131
MuddyWaters
March 17, 2017, 3:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,208
Gold Stars: 235

We are a bit further back in the goalscoring department but our midfield looks potentially far better.
Private Message
Reply: 16 - 131
ginnywings
March 17, 2017, 3:40pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.04
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,098
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from Barrattstander

Settled team!!!!!
I'm not having that !!!
Beginning the season with only four players who started the play-off final and then picking 21 different players to start games before he slunked off suggests to me that the previous manager was not leaving behind a settled team.

Agreed, there seems to be this perception that we were some well oiled machine and Bignot took a big hammer to it. Hurst brought in Tuton, another clone of the loan signing from the previous season, who didn't look like scoring either. Our form pre and post Bignot has been erratic and the fact we were 7th under Hurst is just early season jostling when you can go up and down the league several places with a win or a loss. Hurst also had the benefit of Bogle scoring regularly, so i don't think Bignot is doing too badly myself as points gained per game are holding steady and we were safe with ten games of the season left.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 131
Rodley Mariner
March 17, 2017, 3:55pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.37
Rep Score: +63 / -17
Approval: +13,239
Gold Stars: 176
I think to some it feels worse because when we've lost it's often been pretty heavily.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 131
GrimRob
March 17, 2017, 3:55pm

Posts Per Day: 2.12
Rep Score: +76 / -34
Approval: +13,397
Gold Stars: 113
People say managers should be given time but the average expectancy of a manager is just over 1 year, about 1.5 years in League 2 according to this article.

http://www.skysports.com/footb.....land-just-1-23-years

That's the average of course, some many managers last much less than a year. They patently are not given time at most clubs. I think that's the reason why MB made so many changes when he first arrived. Any other job you'd stick with the team around you for the first few months but football managers do not get that time. In football you have to make a very quick impression or you'll be out of a job. I really hope we stick with him for at least most of next season otherwise we'll be in the same position again where someone else wants to get rid of all the last guy's players!

'Tis better to have loved and lost than never to have loved at all.  
~ Alfred Lord Tennyson

Logged Offline
Site Private Message Skype
Reply: 19 - 131
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards Archive › Thoughts on Bignot?

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.