MuddyWaters
January 28, 2024, 5:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,254
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from 123614

What is it with you and B Corps?  You always have to bring it up in a negative way.  B Corps has absolutely nothing to do with how we play, ffs grow up!

Whether or not you agree or disagree with business certification and compliance, the most important element of a football club is what happens on the pitch on a Saturday afternoon. The way things are looking, the financial implications of what's happening on the pitch will outweigh B Corp several times over.
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 132
friskneymariner
January 28, 2024, 6:23pm

Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -4
Approval: +4,159
Gold Stars: 38
Quoted from MuddyWaters

Whether or not you agree or disagree with business certification and compliance, the most important element of a football club is what happens on the pitch on a Saturday afternoon. The way things are looking, the financial implications of what's happening on the pitch will outweigh B Corp several times over.

Do you remember 'Investors in People' that all large employers were busting a gut to be awarded,No?neither do I .

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day,teach a man to fish and you give him an excuse for him to escape from the wife and kids for the weekend and drink lots of beer.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 132
1mickylyons
January 28, 2024, 6:28pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from friskneymariner

Do you remember 'Investors in People' that all large employers were busting a gut to be awarded,No?neither do I .

Yep another buzzword load of cobblers that amounted to zero.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 132
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2024, 6:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from friskneymariner

I’ve seen the badge on several occasions. But never anywhere memorable.
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 132
Maringer
January 28, 2024, 9:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Basically we were rubbish and if we are going to play out from the back we can't be having Green as the pivot or a 30 yard gap between between defenders and midfielders when the ball is rolled out and them not hiding behind their markers It really was shocking and embarrassing 😞

That was the strangest thing. It wasn't just that Green wasn't showing himself for the pass from the defenders, it's that Andrews and Wood were doing exactly the same. Tranmere were set up to put us under pressure when we made that pass from defence and, in fact, rarely tried to press the back two when we had the ball, but nobody tried to do anything about it. The whole thing about trying to break a press is to take risks and draw the opposition out of position so there is space to pass the ball up the field. Our lot were like rabbits in the headlights and didn't have a clue what to do when they didn't really try to press our central defenders.

It was a very inexperienced middle three and I think I'm right in saying that Holohan has made around as many league appearances as the three combined (and he's only played League football for a season and a half!), but our midfield options really are poor at the moment. I suppose the loss of Ainley is a blow as he would certainly provide the missing experience, but there's nothing we can do about that. I'm not a fan of Hunt, but he couldn't have done any worse than Wood yesterday and, though he loses possession too much, you know he can at least control the ball, something which the others struggled to do.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 132
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2024, 9:19pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

That was the strangest thing. It wasn't just that Green wasn't showing himself for the pass from the defenders, it's that Andrews and Wood were doing exactly the same. Tranmere were set up to put us under pressure when we made that pass from defence and, in fact, rarely tried to press the back two when we had the ball, but nobody tried to do anything about it. The whole thing about trying to break a press is to take risks and draw the opposition out of position so there is space to pass the ball up the field. Our lot were like rabbits in the headlights and didn't have a clue what to do when they didn't really try to press our central defenders.

It was a very inexperienced middle three and I think I'm right in saying that Holohan has made around as many league appearances as the three combined (and he's only played League football for a season and a half!), but our midfield options really are poor at the moment. I suppose the loss of Ainley is a blow as he would certainly provide the missing experience, but there's nothing we can do about that. I'm not a fan of Hunt, but he couldn't have done any worse than Wood yesterday and, though he loses possession too much, you know he can at least control the ball, something which the others struggled to do.

In spite of the various rumours, I’m led to believe Hunt still hasn’t recovered from his injury at Christmas.
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 132
Maringer
January 28, 2024, 9:23pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,512
Gold Stars: 185
Ah, didn't realise he was still out injured. That's a month now and, I don't recall the details of the injury, but had the impression it would only be a couple of weeks. Obviously not.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 132
RonMariner
January 29, 2024, 12:09am

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.42
Rep Score: +42 / -7
Approval: +13,714
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from Poojah
I have to admit, I’m pretty dumbfounded this evening. Not because we lost a game, or played poorly; there’s nothing new about either of those things. But because this result, this performance, is just so fúcking typical of Town. And then I ask myself “why?”, and I’m down the rabbit hole.

We were relegated to this level in 2003. At that point, we had spent 37 of 45 seasons in which the English league pyramid comprised of four divisions, above that level - and none below it. We’ve since spent 13 seasons in League Two and 7 below it. In that time, we’ve finished in the top half of League Two twice - as many times as we’ve been relegated from it. And we seem to be giving it our best effort to complete an unwanted hat trick. Has anyone ever done that?

Whatever our history, despite record season ticket sales two seasons running and despite the seven figures made from last season’s incredible cup run, we still find ourselves unable to build a convincing side at this level. In the last 18 years, an entire childhood, the only time we’ve looked a capable outfit in the league has been in the Conference. Is that really our level? If it is, and we seem to have it keyed into our sat nav once again, you have to ask why, why, why that’s the fúcking case.

The F word will inevitably feature in any attempts at answers, and I’m certainly not about to leap to his defence. But the man himself was able to use the ITV Digital collapse as an excuse for way too long, and we have to be careful of letting history repeat itself. He’s been gone nearly 3 years, but can we truthfully say that what’s been served up on the pitch this season has been a positive departure from the Fenty era?

There’s no denying that this is a tough League Two this season, but that’s no excuse for looking like a pub team all too regularly. Back in the summer, virtually every measurable factor looked rosier than it had in at least 20 years. And yet we’re still shít. We’re still in a relegation battle. A relegation battle ffs. I can’t keep doing this.

I just can’t fathom it. It doesn’t seem to matter who we have in the boardroom, the dugout, or on the pitch, we seem simply unable to crack this level. League fúcking Two. Ffs.

Until today, I wasn’t really worried about relegation. But we’ve now won 1 game in our last 7, and have conceded 13 in our last 3. If we’re not already in one, we are a tailspin away from finding ourselves in serious, serious shít. It would be too dramatic and unfair to pin all of this on Artell, and I won’t, but 10 games in with a win ratio of 20%; it’s not unreasonable to suggest that needs to improve markedly if he wants to maintain a career in football management. Away at 10th place Accrington next Saturday, then home to the league leaders the following week, it’s gonna be bloody hard work improving on it in the short-term.

I’m fúcked off, I’m concerned, but more than anything else, I’m just absolutely bored to tears of being, at the very best, stinking League Two bottom feeders. As strongly as I feel we’re better than this, all of the contemporary evidence says we’re categorically not.

This post sums up exactly how I feel right now. I remember when we could give anyone in the second tier a bloody tough game and regularly beat the top sides in that division. It’s why having to watch us struggling to avoid a third relegation to non league is so infuriating. The last time we had a serious promotion push in L2 was 2006. We sure have fallen so very far.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 132
GibMariner
January 29, 2024, 4:09am
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Or arrived at our level as disappointing that may seem.
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 132
Yoda
January 29, 2024, 4:18am
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,162
Gold Stars: 71
What grinds my gears is teams like Morecombe, Harrogate, Barrow and Accrington can turn out a better team than us with a third of the attendance.
We average 6500-6600 a season and we are still awful bottom end league 2 struggling to even show up for games.
JS must be thinking what have i done he needs to pull all the players and management in and read them the riot act, we cannot go down again but one win in seven and letting goals in for fun is not good.
Hopefully we can draw a few games and scrape to safety.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 132
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.