Mappers
January 29, 2024, 11:45am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,341
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from Corkyefes

I would say that mostly the reason they can attract better players is the location towards bigger cities...
Accrington is 50 mins from Manchester, Barrow train in Manchester, Harrogate lovely place to live and Morcambe close to the Lake District (and still only an hour from Manchester on the train - 1.5hrs drive).

The fact is that nobody wants to live in Grimsby, or the surrounding towns within an hours journey, with maybe Lincoln as the exception.

This means we need to spend more money and offer better contracts, which is something the owners simply wont do.
Will can tell that by the dire salaries offered for the various jobs around the club, which not suprisingly have a high turnover of staff.

I dont know the step forward, really don't, but I do feel that all the money we have recieved for the promotion, FA cup runs, players sold etc, has all been wasted.

What did concern me in the last fans forum, was even after all this money was put into the club, we was losing money still.
Why is this?

The ground & infrastructure cost's you would guess is the reason for losing money ; patching up BP isn't/wont come cheap and it seems it's the ultimate money drain for very little return , just to keep it open   - didn't Stockwood say they will have to put another 1 million in aswell on either the DN podcast or at the forum ?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 132
lew chaterleys lover
January 29, 2024, 12:15pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from Corkyefes

I would say that mostly the reason they can attract better players is the location towards bigger cities...
Accrington is 50 mins from Manchester, Barrow train in Manchester, Harrogate lovely place to live and Morcambe close to the Lake District (and still only an hour from Manchester on the train - 1.5hrs drive).

The fact is that nobody wants to live in Grimsby, or the surrounding towns within an hours journey, with maybe Lincoln as the exception.

This means we need to spend more money and offer better contracts, which is something the owners simply wont do.
Will can tell that by the dire salaries offered for the various jobs around the club, which not suprisingly have a high turnover of staff.

I dont know the step forward, really don't, but I do feel that all the money we have recieved for the promotion, FA cup runs, players sold etc, has all been wasted.

What did concern me in the last fans forum, was even after all this money was put into the club, we was losing money still.
Why is this?

Oh not this old chestnut again surely? Nobody was saying that early in the close season when we signed all those players from all over the country.  We have and will continue to sign players from home and even abroad if we want the player and the terms are right.
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 132
diehardmariner
January 29, 2024, 1:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,636
Gold Stars: 539
Deliberately waited a few days before posting my thoughts on the game because I simply needed to process how excrement that was.

Selection wise, Artell got everything wrong there.  Ripped apart too often down the flanks and yet he persists with Glennon and Mullarkey.    This is the bit that I'm torn on a little because I don't want Artell to try and stop us progressing into his style and approach, I don't buy into the argument that we can just go back the safe and tested to see us through the season.  If we're going down a fresh approach then we go for it, not dipping our toe in.  There's no point in persisting with certain players if they're not going to part of the future....I get that 100%.

But you cannot tell me that either Glennon or Mullarkey, the way they're currently performing anyway, are what he sees as our future approach.  Because if they are, we're copulated.  I don't think Amos or Efete are world beaters but bloody hell they would do a better job (whatever the job is!) than Glennon and Mullarkey are doing at present.

Same in midfield.  Green isn't the future.  I like him, I like his tenacity and that dirty side he offers.  But he was shite on Saturday and him not offering the physicality is like having Waterfall in the side if he didn't head it.  It's like having a man down.  

Khouri and Hunt might not be the future under Artell, that's a different discussion.  But you cannot tell me they wouldn't be offering more than the four central midfielders we started with on Saturday who contributed the total sum of intercourse all.  I get the impression Artell has made his mind up early doors on nearly all those players.  I think he would do well to reassess because some of those who he thinks might be ones he can take on the journey, clearly aren't capable.

The style isn't why we lost.  We lost because we can't defend to save our lives.  Absolute basics.  Clear your lines, stay goal side.  We do that and we've ground out a 1-0 win against a really poor Tranmere side.  

For the first time since his appointment I was drunk off with Artell.  Everyone makes mistakes and he did so with his starting line-up.  But his refusal to change it was what got me.  He could have justifiably used all 5 subs at half-time.  Instead he waited to be enforced one when Tharm got injured and then waited until 66 minutes before putting Wood out of his misery for Vernam.  Such was the shocking state of the display that I think Vernam was MOTM in his 23 minutes!  To then wait until the 86th minute, whilst chasing the game with the whole front 6 utterly ineffective (grace given to Rose who was just isolated), before making another change was a farce.

Mentally checked out on that final substitution when Eisa summed up his attitude for the day by moving to the wrong side of the pitch when his number went up, just wasting our own time.  Obikwu looked just as enthused when he came on.  I know he's a young kid but he looked lost against County and did so again in his cameo against Tranmere.  Wilson isn't a world beater but he's shown this season he's got it in his locker to grab something when coming off the bench, instead he had splinters in his bottom all game.

You take Cartwright and Rose out of that side and none could really grumble if they're dropped for Accrington.

Individually they must do better.
As a team they must do better.
Artell must do better too.

I'm not seeing it yet that we'll go down.  I think this is just the process that we're going to have to get through under Artell.  But to say that was unacceptable is an understatement.

We absolutely need a boost in confidence with a couple of really good signings but we need it on the pitch, even if just to shake a few up.
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 132
HertsGTFC
January 29, 2024, 2:22pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from diehardmariner
Deliberately waited a few days before posting my thoughts on the game because I simply needed to process how excrement that was.

Selection wise, Artell got everything wrong there.  Ripped apart too often down the flanks and yet he persists with Glennon and Mullarkey.    This is the bit that I'm torn on a little because I don't want Artell to try and stop us progressing into his style and approach, I don't buy into the argument that we can just go back the safe and tested to see us through the season.  If we're going down a fresh approach then we go for it, not dipping our toe in.  There's no point in persisting with certain players if they're not going to part of the future....I get that 100%.

But you cannot tell me that either Glennon or Mullarkey, the way they're currently performing anyway, are what he sees as our future approach.  Because if they are, we're copulated.  I don't think Amos or Efete are world beaters but bloody hell they would do a better job (whatever the job is!) than Glennon and Mullarkey are doing at present.

Same in midfield.  Green isn't the future.  I like him, I like his tenacity and that dirty side he offers.  But he was shite on Saturday and him not offering the physicality is like having Waterfall in the side if he didn't head it.  It's like having a man down.  

Khouri and Hunt might not be the future under Artell, that's a different discussion.  But you cannot tell me they wouldn't be offering more than the four central midfielders we started with on Saturday who contributed the total sum of intercourse all.  I get the impression Artell has made his mind up early doors on nearly all those players.  I think he would do well to reassess because some of those who he thinks might be ones he can take on the journey, clearly aren't capable.

The style isn't why we lost.  We lost because we can't defend to save our lives.  Absolute basics.  Clear your lines, stay goal side.  We do that and we've ground out a 1-0 win against a really poor Tranmere side.  

For the first time since his appointment I was drunk off with Artell.  Everyone makes mistakes and he did so with his starting line-up.  But his refusal to change it was what got me.  He could have justifiably used all 5 subs at half-time.  Instead he waited to be enforced one when Tharm got injured and then waited until 66 minutes before putting Wood out of his misery for Vernam.  Such was the shocking state of the display that I think Vernam was MOTM in his 23 minutes!  To then wait until the 86th minute, whilst chasing the game with the whole front 6 utterly ineffective (grace given to Rose who was just isolated), before making another change was a farce.

Mentally checked out on that final substitution when Eisa summed up his attitude for the day by moving to the wrong side of the pitch when his number went up, just wasting our own time.  Obikwu looked just as enthused when he came on.  I know he's a young kid but he looked lost against County and did so again in his cameo against Tranmere.  Wilson isn't a world beater but he's shown this season he's got it in his locker to grab something when coming off the bench, instead he had splinters in his bottom all game.

You take Cartwright and Rose out of that side and none could really grumble if they're dropped for Accrington.

Individually they must do better.
As a team they must do better.
Artell must do better too.

I'm not seeing it yet that we'll go down.  I think this is just the process that we're going to have to get through under Artell.  But to say that was unacceptable is an understatement.

We absolutely need a boost in confidence with a couple of really good signings but we need it on the pitch, even if just to shake a few up.

Spot on.

The signings bit worries me to be honest, the fact that one of our main issues is FB and we've got an unattached player on trail who looks like he hasn't played in ages which suggests he isn't going to hit the ground running.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 132
RichMariner
January 29, 2024, 2:45pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +42 / -4
Approval: +9,136
Gold Stars: 209
It's weird, isn't it — lose 6-1 at home, but this 2-1 defeat feels more concerning.

There was no fight in the players. They looked confused. The body language was poor, they were shaking their heads while Pearson gave them a rocket from the dugout.

They should be busting a gut to win any game of football, for their own pride, if not the fans'. They should be busting a gut to prove themselves to the new manager — even if he's confusing them, or giving off mixed messages.

That was a performance of a team that looked anything but well drilled — and that's worrying, considering it was Artell's 10th game in charge.

"Don't shine that light in my face, mate - I've just lost a pint of blood."
Logged Offline
Site Private Message
Reply: 114 - 132
Yoda
January 29, 2024, 3:49pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.29
Rep Score: +5 / -20
Approval: -3,140
Gold Stars: 71
Cartwright needs dropping he’s getting hammered to much and letting in some howlers i don’t think he’s ready yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 132
Maringer
January 29, 2024, 3:55pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,562
Gold Stars: 185
Trollololol...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 132
Theimperialcoroner
January 29, 2024, 3:56pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,211
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from Yoda
Cartwright needs dropping he’s getting hammered to much and letting in some howlers i don’t think he’s ready yet.

Twaddle

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 132
GibMariner
January 29, 2024, 4:13pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +1 / -4
Approval: -953
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from Mappers

The ground & infrastructure cost's you would guess is the reason for losing money ; patching up BP isn't/wont come cheap and it seems it's the ultimate money drain for very little return , just to keep it open   - didn't Stockwood say they will have to put another 1 million in aswell on either the DN podcast or at the forum ?

Oh that narrative 😁😁 again.  

Private Message
Reply: 118 - 132
Northbank Mariner
January 29, 2024, 4:19pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,495
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from GibMariner

Its not a narrative, its blood hard facts!..
Cheapside and the facilities were not fit for purpose and needed major investment, which is ongoing and BP was a frigging wreck, again massive investment needed and is at least now being maintain to satisfactory standard after 20 years of being left to rot by that turtle necked waste of space.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 132
14 Pages Prev ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.