14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
HerveJosse
January 28, 2024, 8:40am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,205
Gold Stars: 144
Bad as we were if we had had the ref from the Notts County game we would probably have won . Allowed Tranmere to kill any tempo to the game from the off with constant time wasting and missed a probable penalty . Yes we need to be able to overcome these things but he was poor and I wouldn’t want to watch an Adkins team every week
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 132
sam gy
January 28, 2024, 8:53am
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.33
Rep Score: +18 / -3
Approval: +5,478
Gold Stars: 56
Just seen Bryn fn Morris front of centre of Newport’s graphic promoting their game v Man Utd today and it got me even pining for someone as average as him to still play for us. At least he was willing to receive the ball and could pass it to a team mate.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 132
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2024, 8:58am
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from sam gy
Just seen Bryn fn Morris front of centre of Newport’s graphic promoting their game v Man Utd today and it got me even pining for someone as average as him to still play for us. At least he was willing to receive the ball and could pass it to a team mate.

I wonder how many remember berating Morris and clamouring for Green to play in his place?
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 132
HertsGTFC
January 28, 2024, 11:25am

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.25
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,993
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from HerveJosse
Bad as we were if we had had the ref from the Notts County game we would probably have won . Allowed Tranmere to kill any tempo to the game from the off with constant time wasting and missed a probable penalty . Yes we need to be able to overcome these things but he was poor and I wouldn’t want to watch an Adkins team every week

Neither would I but I’d take it in a heartbeat for the next 4 months if it guaranteed us staying up.

Never mind Adkins’s side I certainly don’t want to watch what Town served up yesterday every week.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 132
DB
January 28, 2024, 1:42pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 15.42
Rep Score: +13 / -13
Approval: +4,048
Gold Stars: 391
I did find a positive in yesterday's game. The refs whistle at full time which put an end to my misery.

Others above have described how bad we were. Adkins did his homework and kept Rose quiet, so we had no outlet from the back. No midfield and a holey defence, it was the left side punished this time and Glennon was extremely poor, especially for their goal. He may have brilliant games now and again, like Mullarkey, but these are rarities.

A few more days left to bolster our back 4, but it is like 2 seasons ago. Who wants to sign for a club struggling at the bottom of the table?, with B Corp compliance?

As long as we finish 3rd from the bottom or higher I'll be happy this year. Then a clearout for the start of the next season

You can please some of the forumites some of the time but not all the forumites all of the time
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 132
Maringer
January 28, 2024, 4:10pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,671
Gold Stars: 189
If we'd had a left-back who could defend, we wouldn't have lost yesterday. Not so sure we'd have won, but we wouldn't have lost. Glennon is generally OK, but has too many of these games where he is miles off good enough doing the defensive side of things. Especially when he's up against a nippy winger as he's simply very slow.

In fact, the whole defence is badly lacking in any pace - Maher probably the quickest of those who played yesterday, and the lots of them are distinctly lightweight in the tackle. Given the size of him, you'd think Mullarkey would be a bit stronger in this regard, but he looks weak. Rodgers was beaten in the air way too often by Jennings, who times his jumps very well, but a bigger defender needs to be ploughing through him to win the ball in that sort of an aerial challenge.

Adding in Efete is an option, I suppose, and he's decent defensively (and would add some pace and strength), but he's never going to be capable of playing in the way which Artell wants a team to line-up. That's why we were all expecting him to leave during the transfer window.

No doubt about it that adding a bit of pace in attack with Vernam coming on helped out, but otherwise, we looked too slow across the pitch and they were first to pretty much ball in midfield (often due to our hopeless passing and control).

Regarding the post-match interview, I thought it was reasonable from both Matt and Artell, so I'm not sure why some think it was such a car crash. Artell should have ended it earlier as he was just left repeating the same points and it ended up overly-long with nothing much said.

The thing with the players we have, is that they have shown that they can perform very well, but it is a rare event and they are just as likely to have a real stinker as a good game. It's going to be looking for survival this season and we'll then have to see just how much of a rebuild we can manage during the summer.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 132
toontown
January 28, 2024, 5:27pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.57
Rep Score: +13 / 0
Approval: +6,275
Gold Stars: 70
Quoted from Maringer
If we'd had a left-back who could defend, we wouldn't have lost yesterday. Not so sure we'd have won, but we wouldn't have lost. Glennon is generally OK, but has too many of these games where he is miles off good enough doing the defensive side of things. Especially when he's up against a nippy winger as he's simply very slow.

In fact, the whole defence is badly lacking in any pace - Maher probably the quickest of those who played yesterday, and the lots of them are distinctly lightweight in the tackle. Given the size of him, you'd think Mullarkey would be a bit stronger in this regard, but he looks weak. Rodgers was beaten in the air way too often by Jennings, who times his jumps very well, but a bigger defender needs to be ploughing through him to win the ball in that sort of an aerial challenge.

Adding in Efete is an option, I suppose, and he's decent defensively (and would add some pace and strength), but he's never going to be capable of playing in the way which Artell wants a team to line-up. That's why we were all expecting him to leave during the transfer window.

No doubt about it that adding a bit of pace in attack with Vernam coming on helped out, but otherwise, we looked too slow across the pitch and they were first to pretty much ball in midfield (often due to our hopeless passing and control).

Regarding the post-match interview, I thought it was reasonable from both Matt and Artell, so I'm not sure why some think it was such a car crash. Artell should have ended it earlier as he was just left repeating the same points and it ended up overly-long with nothing much said.

The thing with the players we have, is that they have shown that they can perform very well, but it is a rare event and they are just as likely to have a real stinker as a good game. It's going to be looking for survival this season and we'll then have to see just how much of a rebuild we can manage during the summer.

Agree with pretty much every word
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 132
Madeleymariner
January 28, 2024, 5:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.01
Rep Score: +23 / -15
Approval: +3,066
Gold Stars: 50
Basically we were rubbish and if we are going to play out from the back we can't be having Green as the pivot or a 30 yard gap between between defenders and midfielders when the ball is rolled out and them not hiding behind their markers It really was shocking and embarrassing 😞
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 132
MuddyWaters
January 28, 2024, 5:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,288
Gold Stars: 236
Quoted from Madeleymariner
Basically we were rubbish and if we are going to play out from the back we can't be having Green as the pivot or a 30 yard gap between between defenders and midfielders when the ball is rolled out and them not hiding behind their markers It really was shocking and embarrassing 😞

If you ever needed to expose how poor Green is then playing him in the Conteh role was the way to do it. Add the inept Andrews and the inexperienced and ineffective Wood and you’ve probably got our worst midfield performance of the season.
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 132
January 28, 2024, 5:47pm
Guest User
Quoted from DB
I did find a positive in yesterday's game. The refs whistle at full time which put an end to my misery.

Others above have described how bad we were. Adkins did his homework and kept Rose quiet, so we had no outlet from the back. No midfield and a holey defence, it was the left side punished this time and Glennon was extremely poor, especially for their goal. He may have brilliant games now and again, like Mullarkey, but these are rarities.

A few more days left to bolster our back 4, but it is like 2 seasons ago. Who wants to sign for a club struggling at the bottom of the table?, with B Corp compliance?

As long as we finish 3rd from the bottom or higher I'll be happy this year. Then a clearout for the start of the next season

What is it with you and B Corps?  You always have to bring it up in a negative way.  B Corps has absolutely nothing to do with how we play, ffs grow up!

Reply: 89 - 132
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.