14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
1mickylyons
January 27, 2024, 7:24pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
For me Amos LB with Glennon LM solves the problem Eisa is bone idle and scores a screamer 1/7.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 132
AncientExiledMariner
January 27, 2024, 7:26pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from 1mickylyons

Did he ever have a plot to lose? Hearing DA speak how on earth did he get the job ? Fenty got hammered for his Managerial appointments well 7 weeks in and I'm hugely annoyed. JS talks about anything and everything but the only thing he's had to do so far is replace Hurst and it looks like a balderdash been dropped to me.

Like stick with Hurst when every person on the fishy wanted him gone? A decision that took us up....

Memories are short here...
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 132
pontoonlew
January 27, 2024, 7:47pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.00
Rep Score: +37 / -15
Approval: +9,042
Gold Stars: 177
Quoted from jimgtfc
Absolutely inept today, everyone from the manager to the players weren’t good enough. He sounds more and more like David Brent every time I hear him, won’t get relegated? We bloody will playing like that mate! And you’re setting us up to get beat every week! Still persisting with slowly playing out from the back with players that can’t do it. I thought Tharme might be the centre half to help us do that but he looked no better than Maher or Rodgers. In front of them he put Green who has zero composure, positional sense or technical ability, and every time we attempted to play it out he disappeared and left a huge hole in front of the centre halves and therefore limited options. Then having 2 on loan youngsters ahead of him in midfield and leaving an experienced potential game changer in Gav sat on his derrière until the 85th minute is absolute criminal. Harry on the right? Vernam on the bench? Obikwu on instead of Wilson? The questions go on and on. And to top it off that interview afterwards was embarrassing!

We don’t need a project, a philosophy or pretty statistics, we need a manager to stiffen us up, sort out the basics, make us hard to beat and get away from the prospect of being relegated to the NL for a third time in 14 years.

Got to disagree on the last part, not having a long term style or plan is an absolute recipe for disaster. It’s not going well at the minute but we’re going to have to go through some real pain short term.

Im not for one minute saying today was acceptable, but to just decide we’re going to be ‘tough to beat’ and play percentage football is not a long term plan at all. It’s short term thinking that might have worked 10 years ago, but football is evolving and we need to be part of it to progress.

I totally understand the nervousness, but I really feel we need to hold our nerve a bit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 132
AndyGTFC
January 27, 2024, 7:50pm

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.31
Rep Score: +23 / -2
Approval: +804
Gold Stars: 5
Definitely regressed back to pre Artell levels today, treating the ball like a hot potato and losing every 50-50 ball because we've got no physicality like I've seen so often at BP in recent years. Were never going to be able to try and pass the ball around with that midfield.

I'd like to see us play a 3-5-2 to add some defensive solidity and give Rose some support up front.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 132
HertsGTFC
January 27, 2024, 7:50pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from ginnywings
So, we have a new manager and he's somehow made us worse. Every winger that comes here has a field day and we are getting destroyed down the sides. Last game it was our right side, and this time it was the left. Maybe Clifton was put there to help out Mullarkey after the last game? I said at half time, get Wood off, get Vernam on and put Harry in the middle, because their midfield were totally bossing the game, and Wood was moving like he had a stick up his ar$e. He wanted way too long on the ball and was just getting picked off time and again. One of the worst full debuts I have ever seen.

They started way brighter than us, and it took 10 mins before we even got the ball into their box. We are at home against the team one place above us FFS. It then took us until the 80th minute to force a save from their keeper. The only one he made I think.

That midfield of ours today was shockingly bad. How the hell did we end up with two loanees in there, with about 2 dozen league games between them? Then there was Green, who has barely played all season, and Clifton stuck out wide, who with the best will in the world, will run all day and graft, but needs better players around him. Wood is even slower than Andrews if that is possible. Tharme didn't look much better than what went before, and I would like to see their winner again because I thought he could have cut out the cross. Rodgers somehow looked worse on the left then he does on the right.

Then there is that running theme of other players in other teams who just know how to do the basics. They seem to be able to head the ball properly, control it and pass to a team mate, something that looks beyond our lot 9 times out of 10.

As for the tactics, Adkins won hands down. Let us have the ball at the back, and close down our midfield. We looked clueless in how to progress up the pitch.

Tranmere were totally untroubled and I never at any time thought we would get back in the game, unless we got a lucky break, like the first goal, which landed at his feet unmarked. Was a decent finish mind, which is about the only positive from the entire 90 mins.

Totally p1ssed off with our continuing ineptitude.

Exactly this, credit to Adkin’s they aren’t world beaters but they were functional and played with a front 3 away from home.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 132
HertsGTFC
January 27, 2024, 7:52pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from 1mickylyons
For me Amos LB with Glennon LM solves the problem Eisa is bone idle and scores a screamer 1/7.

Eisa is a greedy player & needs to play for the team. That attempt from a stupid angle in the first half when Rose had dropped off and was ready to pull the trigger was shocking.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 132
Germo66
January 27, 2024, 7:57pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Approval: +120
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from ginnywings
So, we have a new manager and he's somehow made us worse. Every winger that comes here has a field day and we are getting destroyed down the sides. Last game it was our right side, and this time it was the left. Maybe Clifton was put there to help out Mullarkey after the last game? I said at half time, get Wood off, get Vernam on and put Harry in the middle, because their midfield were totally bossing the game, and Wood was moving like he had a stick up his ar$e. He wanted way too long on the ball and was just getting picked off time and again. One of the worst full debuts I have ever seen.

They started way brighter than us, and it took 10 mins before we even got the ball into their box. We are at home against the team one place above us FFS. It then took us until the 80th minute to force a save from their keeper. The only one he made I think.

That midfield of ours today was shockingly bad. How the hell did we end up with two loanees in there, with about 2 dozen league games between them? Then there was Green, who has barely played all season, and Clifton stuck out wide, who with the best will in the world, will run all day and graft, but needs better players around him. Wood is even slower than Andrews if that is possible. Tharme didn't look much better than what went before, and I would like to see their winner again because I thought he could have cut out the cross. Rodgers somehow looked worse on the left then he does on the right.

Then there is that running theme of other players in other teams who just know how to do the basics. They seem to be able to head the ball properly, control it and pass to a team mate, something that looks beyond our lot 9 times out of 10.

As for the tactics, Adkins won hands down. Let us have the ball at the back, and close down our midfield. We looked clueless in how to progress up the pitch.

Tranmere were totally untroubled and I never at any time thought we would get back in the game, unless we got a lucky break, like the first goal, which landed at his feet unmarked. Was a decent finish mind, which is about the only positive from the entire 90 mins.

Totally p1ssed off with our continuing ineptitude.

Spot on

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 132
January 27, 2024, 8:07pm
Guest User
Utter sh1t. It’s got 20/2021 written through it like a stick of rock.
Reply: 47 - 132
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 27, 2024, 8:07pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,697
Gold Stars: 79

Because Mularkey is a top RB, who stays back at the right time and destroys wingers and gives the guy in front of him so much freedom to focus on attacking without thinking about defensive duties... Why would he play Clifton in front of him?

Well if that’s the reason we definitely have appointed the wrong Manager. Clifton is a mediocre footballer who has the qualities of grit and determination which on occasions might merit his selection in midfield. But given his versatility I would have him on the bench but others disagree. Others will also disagree but Efete is a far better defender then Mullarkey and would add some much needed height and physicality to the team but if we sign better great.

It was an obvious error which should have been corrected and our midfield second half should have been Gav, Green, Clifton as we needed league experience on the pitch. Vernam wide and Wilson for Eisa after about 65 mins might have changed our fortunes but to practically do nothing was very poor management.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 132
HelensburghMariner
January 27, 2024, 8:08pm

Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.07
Approval: +37
Gold Stars: 1
To let Waterfall go before Glennon, Mullarkey or Rodgers was criminal in my opinion.
When I saw that Luke had departed a couple of days ago I was shocked and now think more of these sort of results will come thick and fast

Another relegation battle incoming
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 132
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.