14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Lincoln Mariner 56
January 27, 2024, 6:38pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.61
Rep Score: +23 / -4
Approval: +7,698
Gold Stars: 79
Going through the turnstiles today turned to my son and brother that the ground felt drab and quite completely the opposite to the Notts County game. Well that theme continued throughout a ninety minutes that was completely dire.

As others have said why the intercourse would you play Clifton wide right ahead of Vernam? Absolute madness. The midfield trio didn’t have one player good enough to play at this level and they were hiding every time our defenders looked to play the ball forward. Shocking team selection.

Fed up of watching Rose battle up front totally isolated, we have no physicality anywhere in the team and based on today no tactical plan. The after match interview reminded me of Keith Hill when he was at Scunny and we all know how that finished. He seems to become more incoherent with every interview and I for one am very quickly losing confidence in him.

After the excitement of the last game this was back to reality and yet another drab and miserable afternoon spent on at Blundell Park. Getting harder to make the effort and season ticket money might go on something more entertaining next season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 132
headingly_mariner
January 27, 2024, 6:39pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.98
Rep Score: +34 / -21
Approval: +10,379
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from MuddyWaters

I’ve been told today that Hunt and Khouri are going out on loan. There’s an argument to say both should have started today.

Regarding Vernam, he was apparently injured in training early in the week which is why Wood started.

Completely forgot about Khouri, you'd have thought both of them would've had a sniff at the anchor role.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 132
Badger57
January 27, 2024, 6:41pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +1,913
Gold Stars: 30
Quoted from chipsandgravy
If I was worried about Artell before his post match interview - I am now extremely worried about his incoherent and defeatist response. If he is like that in the dressing room then God help us all.

Is there a link please?
I might as well listen to it as I can't be any further depressed than I am already! 😁

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 132
jimgtfc
January 27, 2024, 6:59pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.64
Rep Score: +22 / -5
Approval: +5,091
Gold Stars: 45
Absolutely inept today, everyone from the manager to the players weren’t good enough. He sounds more and more like David Brent every time I hear him, won’t get relegated? We bloody will playing like that mate! And you’re setting us up to get beat every week! Still persisting with slowly playing out from the back with players that can’t do it. I thought Tharme might be the centre half to help us do that but he looked no better than Maher or Rodgers. In front of them he put Green who has zero composure, positional sense or technical ability, and every time we attempted to play it out he disappeared and left a huge hole in front of the centre halves and therefore limited options. Then having 2 on loan youngsters ahead of him in midfield and leaving an experienced potential game changer in Gav sat on his derrière until the 85th minute is absolute criminal. Harry on the right? Vernam on the bench? Obikwu on instead of Wilson? The questions go on and on. And to top it off that interview afterwards was embarrassing!

We don’t need a project, a philosophy or pretty statistics, we need a manager to stiffen us up, sort out the basics, make us hard to beat and get away from the prospect of being relegated to the NL for a third time in 14 years.

"Falls to Arnold... Arnold! That's it! Thats it! He's sealed it! Grimsby Town are back in the football league!!! Just a minute to go and Nathan Arnold makes it 3-1! Look at the scenes behind the goal! Look at the relief! The agony is finally over!!!"

John Tondeur - Wembley Stadium Sunday 15th May 2016
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 132
1mickylyons
January 27, 2024, 7:03pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Germo66
Very poor performance and surprised things weren't changed at half time. Playing out from the back ant then hoofing it up in the air, made an average Tranmere team look good.
Listened to Artell saying we won't get relegated on the radio, I wish I had his confidence. Too me points are more important than style of play.
Hope Artell doesn't turn out to be the next Mick Lyons.
UTM

Steady I can read.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 132
AncientExiledMariner
January 27, 2024, 7:06pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.51
Rep Score: +8 / -2
Approval: +516
Gold Stars: 59
Quoted from Lincoln Mariner 56
Going through the turnstiles today turned to my son and brother that the ground felt drab and quite completely the opposite to the Notts County game. Well that theme continued throughout a ninety minutes that was completely dire.

As others have said why the intercourse would you play Clifton wide right ahead of Vernam? Absolute madness. The midfield trio didn’t have one player good enough to play at this level and they were hiding every time our defenders looked to play the ball forward. Shocking team selection.

Fed up of watching Rose battle up front totally isolated, we have no physicality anywhere in the team and based on today no tactical plan. The after match interview reminded me of Keith Hill when he was at Scunny and we all know how that finished. He seems to become more incoherent with every interview and I for one am very quickly losing confidence in him.

After the excitement of the last game this was back to reality and yet another drab and miserable afternoon spent on at Blundell Park. Getting harder to make the effort and season ticket money might go on something more entertaining next season.

Because Mularkey is a top RB, who stays back at the right time and destroys wingers and gives the guy in front of him so much freedom to focus on attacking without thinking about defensive duties... Why would he play Clifton in front of him?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 132
male private Nale
January 27, 2024, 7:07pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from headingly_mariner

Completely forgot about Khouri, you'd have thought both of them would've had a sniff at the anchor role.

I thought Khouri would have been an Artell player, is he injured ? not even on the bench to at least be an alternative to Glennon?

Hunt has vanished from the matchday squad after Artell initially said he looked like a player who had 400 games under his belt and would definitely improve him over time.

The only reason I can think of playing Clifton out wide is that he has no faith in Mullarkey's defensive attributes and Harry will give better cover than Vernam.

I think we are pinning our hopes on Sutton and FGR remaining shite to save our season.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 132
ginnywings
January 27, 2024, 7:12pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,145
Gold Stars: 548
So, we have a new manager and he's somehow made us worse. Every winger that comes here has a field day and we are getting destroyed down the sides. Last game it was our right side, and this time it was the left. Maybe Clifton was put there to help out Mullarkey after the last game? I said at half time, get Wood off, get Vernam on and put Harry in the middle, because their midfield were totally bossing the game, and Wood was moving like he had a stick up his ar$e. He wanted way too long on the ball and was just getting picked off time and again. One of the worst full debuts I have ever seen.

They started way brighter than us, and it took 10 mins before we even got the ball into their box. We are at home against the team one place above us FFS. It then took us until the 80th minute to force a save from their keeper. The only one he made I think.

That midfield of ours today was shockingly bad. How the hell did we end up with two loanees in there, with about 2 dozen league games between them? Then there was Green, who has barely played all season, and Clifton stuck out wide, who with the best will in the world, will run all day and graft, but needs better players around him. Wood is even slower than Andrews if that is possible. Tharme didn't look much better than what went before, and I would like to see their winner again because I thought he could have cut out the cross. Rodgers somehow looked worse on the left then he does on the right.

Then there is that running theme of other players in other teams who just know how to do the basics. They seem to be able to head the ball properly, control it and pass to a team mate, something that looks beyond our lot 9 times out of 10.

As for the tactics, Adkins won hands down. Let us have the ball at the back, and close down our midfield. We looked clueless in how to progress up the pitch.

Tranmere were totally untroubled and I never at any time thought we would get back in the game, unless we got a lucky break, like the first goal, which landed at his feet unmarked. Was a decent finish mind, which is about the only positive from the entire 90 mins.

Totally p1ssed off with our continuing ineptitude.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 37 - 132
Zmariner
January 27, 2024, 7:15pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.17
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +2,127
Gold Stars: 44
All been said already. Need a left back who can defend. Artell must use what he has at his disposal and no make a team with little technical ability play like this. It is just dumb , Amos in my opinion is  a better defender than Glennon. The formation was a shambles from minute 1 and a manager is paid to fix this. Wood should have been off at half time, had a rough day. game too fast for him and his control was lousy. I lost count of the times he lost it or was out muscled. Not a fan of Rodger either , we need a tougher central defender, but only after we get full backs who can defend
I am an idiot but I could see that the midfield was hopeless. Their tactic of focussing on Glennon was a good one, he is a good footballer but no use at left back and should have been taken off.Clifton at full back would have been more solid
I can accept defeat but not that. 4 rotten home performances defensively in a row
It has become a chore to go again and I am very disappointed and I support Artell but for a supposedly smart guy he was nothing like proactive today and that bothered me. Tactically a complete mess for 90 mins and the management that was poor again. OK to talk a smart game but this is about execution and a plan and we look abject and clueless. This is no time for revolution and Pearson and Davies had the right idea, eke out some points and steady the ship. This is simply crap.Rant over and glad we are away next week.
UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 132
1mickylyons
January 27, 2024, 7:22pm
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,386
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from davmariner
That post-match interview was worrying. Has he lost the plot already?

Did he ever have a plot to lose? Hearing DA speak how on earth did he get the job ? Fenty got hammered for his Managerial appointments well 7 weeks in and I'm hugely annoyed. JS talks about anything and everything but the only thing he's had to do so far is replace Hurst and it looks like a balderdash been dropped to me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 132
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Fishy Forum Fishy Boards The New Fishy › Just back

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.