14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
jamesgtfc
January 19, 2024, 12:18pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +12,980
Gold Stars: 190
Maybe we will be the second football team in the world to achieve B Corp status?

Tweet 1748286051955687850 will appear here...
Logged Online
Private Message
mimma
January 19, 2024, 1:11pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.44
Rep Score: +15 / -2
Approval: +5,573
Gold Stars: 78
Like us, they might not have it yet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 1 - 136
male private Nale
January 19, 2024, 1:25pm
Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.35
Rep Score: +3 / -2
Approval: -919
Gold Stars: 136
All the big hitters trying to get it
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 2 - 136
Poojah
January 19, 2024, 1:30pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,603
Gold Stars: 1,503
Quoted from male private Nale

Royale Union Saint-Gilloise are a Tony Bloom (Brighton owner) project, aren't they? He had to reduce his stake in the club after Brighton made Europe, but I think they use them as a bit of a testing / learning ground. Make of that what you will.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 3 - 136
LocalLadGTFC
January 19, 2024, 1:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.37
Rep Score: +9 / -2
Approval: +4,229
Gold Stars: 137
Quoted from male private Nale

Been the best run club in Belgium for the past few years. Like Poojah stated they're partly owned by Tony Bloom who owns Brighton, but had to reduce his stake due to his involvement with Brighton and the laws regarding having dual ownership of two clubs competing in Europe.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 4 - 136
GrimPol
January 19, 2024, 4:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Why would GTFC want to be part of a Sinister Shady organisation?  Oh yes, one of the major shareholders makes his money from it.

Dark days.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 5 - 136
MuddyWaters
January 19, 2024, 4:36pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.60
Rep Score: +48 / -24
Approval: +32,262
Gold Stars: 236
Remind me, does B stand for Bullshit?
Private Message
Reply: 6 - 136
Poojah
January 19, 2024, 4:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from MuddyWaters
Remind me, does B stand for Bullshit?

“Beneficial” is the official answer, apparently.

Genuine question, to you and any other dissenting voices on this subject. I completely get that some may be disinterested in the notion of B Corp, or feel that it’s not particularly relevant in footballing circles, but what do you consider to be the downside to obtaining such a certification?

The crux of the B Corp mission seems to be about certifying “mission-driven corporations that are committed to using their business as a force for good”. What negative is there in GTFC being considered in such a light?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 7 - 136
diehardmariner
January 19, 2024, 4:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
There aren't any downsides.  

They won't be able to come up with any.  Or if they do it'll be ridiculous ones like 'it distracts from on the pitch stuff'.

It'll just be like angry men shouting into an empty valley.  They're not really sure who or what they're angry about or what they're even shouting about to start with.  But they just know it's something to shout about.

Some people just like some form of anger to consume them in some way or another.  
Private Message
Reply: 8 - 136
jamesgtfc
January 19, 2024, 5:00pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol
Why would GTFC want to be part of a Sinister Shady organisation?  Oh yes, one of the major shareholders makes his money from it.

Dark days.

It's a little known fact that Jason actually bought the club on the back of B Corp membership fees.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 9 - 136
Yarborough Vaults
January 19, 2024, 5:14pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Rep Score: +1 / 0
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
Whenever I hear B Corp I wonder why its not A Corp as that sounds higher.

B side, Plan B etc etc. It sounds second rate as soon as you say it. I may invent A Corp accreditation for this reason.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 10 - 136
TAGG
January 19, 2024, 5:32pm

Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +26 / -27
Approval: +2,950
Gold Stars: 126
Woke balderdash

In his three stints as Grimsby Town manager spanning over 10 years the club was never relegated and he also guided them to three promotions.
Only 14 managers have reached 1,000 matches in charge of a Football League team by 1998 and Buckley is one of them.
GOD
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 11 - 136
LocalLadGTFC
January 19, 2024, 5:57pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Genuine question, to you and any other dissenting voices on this subject. I completely get that some may be disinterested in the notion of B Corp, or feel that it’s not particularly relevant in footballing circles, but what do you consider to be the downside to obtaining such a certification?

The crux of the B Corp mission seems to be about certifying “mission-driven corporations that are committed to using their business as a force for good”. What negative is there in GTFC being considered in such a light?

Because the £50 used for the application could of been used to buy a new centre half !!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 12 - 136
lew chaterleys lover
January 19, 2024, 6:29pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Gold Stars: 237
Quoted from diehardmariner
There aren't any downsides.  

They won't be able to come up with any.  Or if they do it'll be ridiculous ones like 'it distracts from on the pitch stuff'.

It'll just be like angry men shouting into an empty valley.  They're not really sure who or what they're angry about or what they're even shouting about to start with.  But they just know it's something to shout about.

Some people just like some form of anger to consume them in some way or another.  

Of course there are downsides.

The cost. The money needed to get the accreditation in the first place and the ongoing costs to maintain it and its not cheap as the chairman has confirmed.

There is a case to be made about it actually putting off more companies than it would attract; some might think their company would not aspire to such high standards and view it as too high a bar.

Some might think it is a rather artificial construct and prefer to deal with a company with decent standards but, not necessarily one who views everything through this particular lens.

There is also a case for it not to be it is not necessarily useful in professional football. Players, agents and administrators soon know which clubs are being well run without having an accreditation such as this to tell them.

If things don't go according to plan on the field and ticket sales drop, budgets may have to be cut but they will have to continue to apply all the necessary things to keep the accreditation or lose face.

Fans will also want to see success on the field whilst we are a B Corp member - it is lovely to have a well thought of club in the community and in (some) business circles but you won't take the fans with you without success.

I am sure there are lots of other downsides besides the upsides, but the board have obviously decided they want this B Corp accolade to set us apart. I hope they are right and I hope it is succesful.

I think it is important that everyone involved in the club pulls in the same direction and I think Artell is a huge admirer of the values the owners espouse which is fair enough and whether some fans think B Corp is useful or not is largely irrelevant.
Private Message
Reply: 13 - 136
forza ivano
January 19, 2024, 6:31pm

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
so what are the costs Lou?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 14 - 136
jamesgtfc
January 19, 2024, 6:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from forza ivano

A few quid to apply and then just ongoing costs to run a decent, upstanding business that treats stakeholders with respect.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 15 - 136
LocalLadGTFC
January 19, 2024, 6:57pm
Cocktail Drinker

Of course there are downsides.

The cost. The money needed to get the accreditation in the first place and the ongoing costs to maintain it and its not cheap as the chairman has confirmed.

There is a case to be made about it actually putting off more companies than it would attract; some might think their company would not aspire to such high standards and view it as too high a bar.

Some might think it is a rather artificial construct and prefer to deal with a company with decent standards but, not necessarily one who views everything through this particular lens.

There is also a case for it not to be it is not necessarily useful in professional football. Players, agents and administrators soon know which clubs are being well run without having an accreditation such as this to tell them.

If things don't go according to plan on the field and ticket sales drop, budgets may have to be cut but they will have to continue to apply all the necessary things to keep the accreditation or lose face.

Fans will also want to see success on the field whilst we are a B Corp member - it is lovely to have a well thought of club in the community and in (some) business circles but you won't take the fans with you without success.

I am sure there are lots of other downsides besides the upsides, but the board have obviously decided they want this B Corp accolade to set us apart. I hope they are right and I hope it is succesful.

I think it is important that everyone involved in the club pulls in the same direction and I think Artell is a huge admirer of the values the owners espouse which is fair enough and whether some fans think B Corp is useful or not is largely irrelevant.

So you speak about the costs, so the only costs that have been mentioned is to do with the increase in wages to the real living wage which has cost the club 60'000. Would you rather in this cost of living crisis that the club revert to type and pay staff £20/£30 for helping out on matchdays? Because that's what I used to get when I helped steward  
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 16 - 136
Maringer
January 19, 2024, 7:08pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +60 / -12
Approval: +16,560
Gold Stars: 185
Quoted from TAGG
Woke balderdash

*Sniggle*
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 17 - 136
Morph2000
January 19, 2024, 7:19pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.03
Approval: +48
Gold Stars: 2
Why spend time and effort to get it.

Great pay a proper living wage for all staff. But I am totally against % of staff been white, black, women or men

As a club we want the best that the club can afford. Our CEO has worked wonders and am grateful however if it’s a man or women next time I am not fussed.

If we had a women manger that brought success we would be behind her but we should not be employing to tick boxes.  

Same with been environmental friendly great if we can but if it costs us the difference between promotion or relegation I know what I would want.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 18 - 136
lew chaterleys lover
January 19, 2024, 7:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.07
Rep Score: +30 / -10
Approval: +10,731
Quoted from forza ivano

The fees to B Corp are on a sliding scale dependant on the volume of sales.

It is the extra costs to the business itself that have to be considered but before anyone gets too hot under the collar I'm just pointing out there are upsides and downsides to every decision taken. I know the Board are keen to go in this direction so I hope it succeeds.
Private Message
Reply: 19 - 136
ginnywings
January 19, 2024, 7:41pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
My take on this is that the 2 owners have made a success of their careers, enough to be able to afford to buy a football club, so if this is the way they want to go, then I couldn't give a shiny sh1te.

They seem to know what they are doing.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 20 - 136
Northbank Mariner
January 19, 2024, 8:15pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,491
Gold Stars: 171
Non football
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 21 - 136
chaos33
January 19, 2024, 8:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Not sure about non football. Non thinker. Non reader. Non intelligence. More like.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 22 - 136
PDXMariner
January 19, 2024, 9:30pm
Coke Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.01
Rep Score: +2 / 0
Approval: +36
The company I work for are ISO14001 accredited, in that we have an environmental management system that is auditted and reviewed annually.
I always get the comments similar to what we are reading here about B Corp. 'What do we get for it?' 'Expensive for a logo on our headed notepaper' etc etc.

In my job i see first hand that for us having that accreditation gives us huge cost reductions in certain areas, and the benefits far outweigh the costs. This is not really known by anyone outside of my team and the finance teams as we don't divulge financials to that level.

My point is, there are a lot of things going on in the business part of the football club which we have no idea about. I can't imagine they are doing this for the good of their health, no matter what they say. Ultimately the club is a business, and they're not going to do something which costs money, without any benefit coming from it.

Just my 10c worth.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 23 - 136
Northbank Mariner
January 19, 2024, 10:05pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.75
Rep Score: +9 / -9
Approval: +7,491
Gold Stars: 171
Quoted from chaos33
Not sure about non football. Non thinker. Non reader. Non intelligence. More like.

If you're referring to me, intelligent is what I very much am, if you're referring to the thread, I apologise in advance but I'll maintain WTF has the club gaining BCorp accreditation got to do with football...itz a non football related topic.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 24 - 136
jamesgtfc
January 19, 2024, 10:20pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Northbank Mariner

If you're referring to me, intelligent is what I very much am, if you're referring to the thread, I apologise in advance but I'll maintain WTF has the club gaining BCorp accreditation got to do with football...itz a non football related topic.

A football club has just attained B Corp status, it's very much a football thread.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 25 - 136
GYinScuntland
January 19, 2024, 11:34pm

Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.49
Rep Score: +21 / -6
Approval: +3,238
Gold Stars: 97
I don't even pretend to understand the ins and outs of all this B Corp palaver but can't help wondering if it's the new brown envelope, greased palm, old boys club scenario.
It just seems to have popped up out of nowhere in recent years.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 26 - 136
January 20, 2024, 8:42am
Guest User
Quoted from GYinScuntland
I don't even pretend to understand the ins and outs of all this B Corp palaver but can't help wondering if it's the new brown envelope, greased palm, old boys club scenario.

I don't understand your take on this, just because you don't understand what B Corps is you are suggesting it's some kind of nasty back handed organisation.  Like others on here, you don't get it, so it has to be bad.

Like you, I don't understand what it is all about, but I'm not going to say it's a 'palaver', or it's the old boys scenario where people are being sneaky and 'greasing palms'.  Why would you say that when you have no idea what it is about.

Here is something for you to read, https://www.bcorporation.net/en-us/certification/, maybe that will help you have a bit more understanding of what B Corps is about.  TBH it didn't help me as I am too old and not intelligent enough to understand what it all means, but that doesn't mean I am going to slag it off!
Reply: 27 - 136
LH
January 20, 2024, 9:14am

Posts Per Day: 1.92
Rep Score: +30 / -13
Approval: +18,534
Gold Stars: 173
Oh great - another thread of middle aged men wondering aloud (or in text form at least) variations of: “I don’t understand this therefore it must be woke and/or corrupt”.
Private Message
Reply: 28 - 136
Mappers
January 20, 2024, 9:25am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Maybe a clearer wording/explanation of the benefits BCorp will bring would be a good idea from Stockwood , I don't hold much interest in it to be honest but surely more questions about that at the fans forum/DN podcast would have been more interesting than our regular ones as would some questions about the football regulator and some sort of timeframe of implementation and what it will look like ; something no one seems to have much clue about at least from the outside looking in .

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 29 - 136
forza ivano
January 20, 2024, 9:44am

Exile
Posts Per Day: 2.46
Rep Score: +72 / -20
Approval: +15,208
Gold Stars: 265
Mappers - Jason actually tweeted about this yesterday, and linked it to the St. Gallois twitter thread, which explained what it meant to them  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 30 - 136
Mappers
January 20, 2024, 9:48am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 5.45
Rep Score: +8 / -3
Approval: +4,340
Gold Stars: 119
Quoted from forza ivano
Mappers - Jason actually tweeted about this yesterday, and linked it to the St. Gallois twitter thread, which explained what it meant to them  

Cheers Forza
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 31 - 136
pen penfras
January 20, 2024, 10:42am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71

Whilst it's supposed to be entirely about the opposite of that, you can sort of see a possibility how it becomes that way. Where companies only want to deal with other B Corp accredited companies and it essentially becomes a club for like minded people to find others that think like them and only deal with them. Not exactly different to the masons, but it's a stretch to suggest that's what is happening right now.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 32 - 136
pen penfras
January 20, 2024, 10:48am

Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.66
Rep Score: +8 / -9
Approval: -126
Gold Stars: 71
Quoted from LocalLadGTFC

Because the £50 used for the application could of been used to buy a new centre half !!!!

The cost is not £50 though, is it? The application fee is irrelevant and there's then membership fees which are higher, but based on company income so probably not huge.

But add in all the man hours that the application requires, all the time and cost of changing the infrastructure to comply and all the other things we have to do that don't really apply to football clubs and the cost is easily in the tens and possibly hundreds of thousands.

I don't disagree with anything that B Corp stands for, I just think you can do all of it without having to be part of some paid club.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 33 - 136
GYinScuntland
January 20, 2024, 11:03am

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from LH
Oh great - another thread of middle aged men wondering aloud (or in text form at least) variations of: “I don’t understanding this therefore it must be woke and/or corrupt”.

Well please feel free to cancel us then, which is how it seems to go these days when our opinions don't match with yours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 34 - 136
Balthazar Bullitt
January 20, 2024, 11:35am

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16

Well please feel free to cancel us then, which is how it seems to go these days when our opinions don't match with yours.

You're cancelled.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 35 - 136
chaos33
January 20, 2024, 11:42am
Barley Wine Drinker

Give us some examples of people who have been cancelled…

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 36 - 136
LocalLadGTFC
January 20, 2024, 12:10pm
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from pen penfras

The cost is not £50 though, is it? The application fee is irrelevant and there's then membership fees which are higher, but based on company income so probably not huge.

But add in all the man hours that the application requires, all the time and cost of changing the infrastructure to comply and all the other things we have to do that don't really apply to football clubs and the cost is easily in the tens and possibly hundreds of thousands.

I don't disagree with anything that B Corp stands for, I just think you can do all of it without having to be part of some paid club.

Oh no, the man hours of filling in an application form when Jason should quite clearly be out on the training pitch teaching Harvey Rodgers how to defend the near post and Toby Mullarkey how to stop a cross !!!!

Load of shite mate, based on your previous post aswell. I've worked in association with companies that are BCorp and my company itself isn't BCorp. There's plenty of posts on this thread alone from people with much more understanding of what BCorp brings to a business and I assume you haven't read those either. The cost is quite literally £250 for the full application, and membership fees would probably be £2000. Your next point referring to cost of changing the infrastructure, we had no infrastructure before they took the club on, the infrastructure has doubled in size. I don't see how that can be deemed as a bad thing, the club is now a well run organisation. Janice the tea lady isn't also picking up shifts behind the till on Match Days serving tickets or in the club shop. Steve Crousden isn't having to urine about washing and sorting the first team kits or equipment. We have some very good people in very good positions that have been brought into the club because of the added infrastructure. That wasn't anything to do with BCorp or meeting there accreditations, it was purely down to being somewhat run like an actual football club and an actual business.
Logged Offline
Private Message Skype
Reply: 37 - 136
GYinScuntland
January 20, 2024, 1:05pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

Me for a start, see above. 😆
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 38 - 136
rancido
January 20, 2024, 1:13pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from chaos33

Would you regard J K Rowling's treatment by the Transgender movement over her views as being " cancelled"?
It's not enough for the " Woke Movement" to have contrary views to their beliefs, you are subjected to vilification for having them. It's just like the book 1984 , you don't have to just accept Big Brother, you have to love him.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 39 - 136
chaos33
January 20, 2024, 1:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
JK Rowling hasn’t been ‘cancelled’ though has she. She’s doing alright. Just because a load of loud and abusive types (mostly dozy and damaged American undergraduates) with their self-righteous and entrenched indignation have abused her, she hasn’t been rubbed out. There are plenty of folk who want to stop people sharing their view though (apparently unaware of the irony). Look at how GB News wet their pants whenever Gary Lineker says anything. This probably isn’t the thread or place for this discussion really.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 136
GrimPol
January 20, 2024, 1:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Poojah your naivety is breathtaking.
My granddaughter is now being punished by this DEI that B Corp is pushing. How you may ask? Well she wants to study medicine, and as there over 40,000 applicants for some 7500 places (Medicine is the only capped degree at university) Lots of Unis are into Diversity Equity Inclusion . She has not only to "fight" her way through 5 or other applicants on her merit i.e. exam results, she is starting further back of the starting line because she is White, because doesn't come from a broken home, because her parents are straights, and because she didn't receive free dinners at school. She does start in front of the kids from private schools. So she may not get her chance because some kids get in front of her not because of merit, because others were pushed to the front. That's Diversity Equity Inclusion or DEI in action. It should be called DIE as whatever it touches withers and dies. So how helpful is B Corp to race relations? As I said, your naivety is breathtaking.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 136
chaos33
January 20, 2024, 1:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

My granddaughter is now being punished by this DEI that B Corp is pushing. How you may ask? Well she wants to study medicine, and as there over 40,000 applicants for some 7500 places (Medicine is the only capped degree at university) Lots of Unis are into Diversity Equity Inclusion . She has not only to "fight" her way through 5 or other applicants on her merit i.e. exam results, she is starting further back of the starting line because she is White, because doesn't come from a broken home, because her parents are straights, and because she didn't receive free dinners at school. She does start in front of the kids from private schools. So she may not get her chance because some kids get in front of her not because of merit, because others were pushed to the front. That's Diversity Equity Inclusion or DEI in action. It should be called DIE as whatever it touches withers and dies. So how helpful is B Corp to race relations? As I said, your naivety is breathtaking.

That’s an astonishingly flawed argument skewed by personal disappointment and massive over generalisation.
Still, we already knew you thought DEI had done ‘more damage to Britain than the Luftwaffe’ so it’s not really coming from a position of credibility is it.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 136
Azimuth
January 20, 2024, 2:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from GrimPol

This is a issue, in the process of applying for a public sector job last year the first stage was to fill out a tick box questionaire based on among other things my parents employment when I was 14, gender, religion, ethnicity etc.
This sifting taking place before advancing to stage two of being able to upload a personal statement and CV.

There is no such a thing as positive discrimination, discrimination is discrimination however we dress it up.

I want my son and daughter to have a equal opportunity to every one else based on ability.

To be truely open to all Gender, Sex, Religeon and Race non of these questions should be included and only then do we see people chosen on Merit experience and ability.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 136
Chrisblor
January 20, 2024, 2:29pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,869
Quoted from rancido

Would you regard J K Rowling's treatment by the Transgender movement over her views as being " cancelled"?
It's not enough for the " Woke Movement" to have contrary views to their beliefs, you are subjected to vilification for having them. It's just like the book 1984 , you don't have to just accept Big Brother, you have to love him.

No, she's still coining it in from Harry Potter, regularly spouting balderdash on twitter and releasing hackneyed detective novels under a pen name. Being criticised for your views and opinions by people who disagree with them is not "being cancelled".

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 136
Chrisblor
January 20, 2024, 2:45pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

lol flipping hell I work in University admissions and this is a complete load of paranoid, racist and homophobic balderdash. Universities do not discriminate against applicants based on race, gender or the sexual orientation of their parents ffs. Medicine courses do hold back a small number of places (and I emphasise SMALL here) each year for applicants from backgrounds with historically low participation rates in Higher Education, but the criteria to qualify for those places are:

Lived in an area with a low progression to higher education
Lived in a deprived area
Received free school meals in years 10-13
Received a 16-19 Bursary or similar grant
Was a young carer
Lived in local authority care during secondary education
Was estranged from both of their parents or legal guardians during their secondary/further education
Have parents who do not hold higher education qualifications
Have parents who were unemployed or working in unskilled jobs
Have a disability

If you think giving a leg up to a small number of applicants each year from those sorts of backgrounds so they can get into Medical School and become a Doctor, a route which in the past was almost exclusively the domain of students from wealthy / public school backgrounds, where teachers and parents could coach them through the admissions process and provide access to work experience in medicine before university to augment their application, is a bad thing then intercourse me.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 136
Poojah
January 20, 2024, 3:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Right, I really didn’t want to get into the broader argument about so called wokeism or DEI, as it takes us into the realm of non-football, but since there is no football this afternoon, I’ll make an exception whilst trying to keep things as on-topic as possible.

For context, I don’t consider myself “woke”. I’m a believer that you have to be very careful with any kind of ideology that threatens to swing too far left or too far right, and I’m far from comfortable with a world where a slip of the tongue or an historic transgression can potentially end an otherwise good career. Few of us are saints, and I certainly don’t profess to be one.

But I can still recognise that the world of 40, 30, 20, 10 or even 5 years ago had some fairly glaring societal issues. I just didn’t think about them very much. That’s because, as a white, straight, able-bodied male, they didn’t really affect me. Start changing any one of those parameters, and life gets harder. Change more than one, and the effect is compound.

This notion of DEI, as you put it, isn’t some woke, anti-white, anti-straight agenda. It’s about making the playing field as level as possible for everyone. Imagine two people of identical innate talent, only one is white, male, middle class, from a happy home, and went to a revered public school. The other is black, female, grew up poor, in a deprived area, and went to a failing school. Both equally talented, but one more fortunate and less discriminated against than the other, for no other reason than cos’ life ain’t fair. The former simply has a much greater advantage in fulfilling their potential; all so called DEI aims to be is be cognisant of that when it comes to university and employment applications. To be against such a concept is to be against social mobility, and to be against social mobility seems cúntish if you’re doing really well for yourself, and downright daft if you’re not.

Let’s take the specific example of your granddaughter’s application to study medicine. You point out that she is seemingly at a disadvantage of those who came from poor backgrounds and / or had free school dinners, whilst acknowledging that she has an equivalent advantage over those who went to private school. The whole premise of this DEI concept is that there is no advantage or disadvantage - it creates a normalised meritocracy by putting kids from deprived backgrounds and those who had everything going for them on an equal footing.

I’m sure you can find flaws in the specific mechanic used to rank applicants, but that’s the ethos behind it. Again, I’m not sure you can be simultaneously against that kind of approach, the kind of approach encouraged by the likes of B Corp, AND the notion of the country being run by the upper classes forever more.

Finally, I’m ever so slightly perplexed as to how you managed to derive my apparent naivety from a question I asked? I’m always open minded and ready to be educated whenever I’m presented with a viewpoint that’s more logical and well rounded than my own.

Anyway, I wish your granddaughter all the best in her application. A fantastic and noble career to pursue.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 136
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2024, 3:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,956
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GrimPol

Educate yourself, read Rebel Ideas by Matthew Syed you might just see things differently.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 136
GrimPol
January 20, 2024, 3:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

That’s an astonishingly flawed argument skewed by personal disappointment and massive over generalisation.
Still, we already knew you thought DEI had done ‘more damage to Britain than the Luftwaffe’ so it’s not really coming from a position of credibility is it.

You're just shouting. What is flawed about my argument, how do you actually think it works? "Personall Disappointment" you say, I'm also speaking up for kids around I've never met. When you remove the cuddly down off this DEI, then scrape the gloss, it's just pure  Sinister.
In the USA (where, of course it all this started, and is running riot) slowly this is turning. Their courts have overturned Affirmative Action which basically stopped Asian kids places at Harvard.
The last guy who had a go at me thought it was like a British Standard method of production, like I said Naive.   So enlighten me Chaos, how does it work? What are the nuts and bolts of this DEI (DIE)?

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 136
GrimPol
January 20, 2024, 3:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Educate yourself, read Rebel Ideas by Matthew Syed you might just see things differently.

And the point being what?
Lets take Climate Change.  If the leaders, engineers, chemists etc are not the best because of DEI (DIE)  then how is that going to help?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 136
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2024, 3:29pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Lets take Climate Change.  If the leaders, engineers, chemists etc are not the best because of DEI (DIE)  then how is that going to help?

Read the book, open your closed mind you’ll possibly start to understand the value of people from differing backgrounds, religions and ethnicities being given an opportunity.

There is by the way a chapter about the KKK I’m sure you’ll find that relatable.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 50 - 136
Dave Gilberts Left Peg
January 20, 2024, 3:30pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.50
Rep Score: +2 / -5
Approval: -158
Gold Stars: 78
what a boring thread, you can tell town aren't playing

Only the dead have seen the end of war
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 51 - 136
GYinScuntland
January 20, 2024, 3:38pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

It's just the opinion of a bloke who used to play ping pong, nothing more.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 52 - 136
Posh Harry
January 20, 2024, 3:44pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +15 / -3
Approval: +4,363
Gold Stars: 35

A very intelligent, highly educated bloke who played ping pong
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 53 - 136
chaos33
January 20, 2024, 3:45pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

lol flipping hell I work in University admissions and this is a complete load of paranoid, racist and homophobic balderdash. Universities do not discriminate against applicants based on race, gender or the sexual orientation of their parents ffs. Medicine courses do hold back a small number of places (and I emphasise SMALL here) each year for applicants from backgrounds with historically low participation rates in Higher Education, but the criteria to qualify for those places are:

Lived in an area with a low progression to higher education
Lived in a deprived area
Received free school meals in years 10-13
Received a 16-19 Bursary or similar grant
Was a young carer
Lived in local authority care during secondary education
Was estranged from both of their parents or legal guardians during their secondary/further education
Have parents who do not hold higher education qualifications
Have parents who were unemployed or working in unskilled jobs
Have a disability

If you think giving a leg up to a small number of applicants each year from those sorts of backgrounds so they can get into Medical School and become a Doctor, a route which in the past was almost exclusively the domain of students from wealthy / public school backgrounds, where teachers and parents could coach them through the admissions process and provide access to work experience in medicine before university to augment their application, is a bad thing then intercourse me.

Yeah, well….you can prove anything with facts can’t you 😐

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 54 - 136
GYinScuntland
January 20, 2024, 3:47pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Posh Harry

A very intelligent, highly educated bloke who played ping pong

Still only his opinion though.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 55 - 136
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2024, 3:51pm

Barley Wine Drinker

Ha ha ha…. Indeed he did. He’s also written some good books & is recognised as a respected journalist. If you’ve read the book you’ll know that he quotes from the people involved in the topics discussed, their views are based upon experience.

He was also part of the FA working party who identified that the culture of the England team wasn’t right when they couldn’t get out of groups at tournaments and players called in injured instead of joining squads.

Gone a bit none football this.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 56 - 136
Poojah
January 20, 2024, 3:58pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

You’re debunking your own argument there. One of the primary benefits of your so called DEI model is that you end up with the best people from the widest possible spectrum of society, not simply the best of a privileged minority.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 57 - 136
HerveJosse
January 20, 2024, 4:11pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Can anyone put there hand on their heart and say we would be applying for B corp crertification if JS wasn’t recently a trustee of the the body that controls the process and issues the certificates.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 58 - 136
moosey_club
January 20, 2024, 4:17pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.71
Rep Score: +69 / -22
Approval: +20,268
Gold Stars: 226
Quoted from HerveJosse
Can anyone put there hand on their heart and say we would be applying for B corp crertification if JS wasn’t recently a trustee of the the body that controls the process and issues the certificates.

I have it on good authority that JF had already started looking into it prior to takeover...... the project was shelved when the equality and diversity section was opened.

2023/24 DLWDDWDLLLWDLLLLWDDDWDLLWLDLLDWDDWLLDWLWLWL but not NLN 😁
2022/23LDWDWWDWLLDWWDLLLDLWLLWLWLLWDDLDWWDDDLLWDWLWLW
2021/22 WDWWWWDLWWWWLLLWLLDLWLLWWDWWWLWDLWWDWWWDLWD play offs WWW Promoted 🥳
2020/21  LLDWWLDLDWLWLLLDLWLLDLLDLLLWLLLDDDDWDDDLWLWLWL .. hello darkness my old friend
2019/20  WDLDWWLDLWWLLLDLDLDLDDWWDLLWDDWWL WLLW - ended
2018/19  LWDDLLLLLLWWDWLLLWDWLWWWWLLLLWWWWDLLLDDLLDLWLW Hello Scunny  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 59 - 136
gtfcmd
January 20, 2024, 4:22pm

Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.06
Approval: +210
Gold Stars: 3
Does b corp give you 3 points on the pitch ?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 60 - 136
GrimPol
January 20, 2024, 4:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Right, I really didn’t want to get into the broader argument about so called wokeism or DEI, as it takes us into the realm of non-football, but since there is no football this afternoon, I’ll make an exception whilst trying to keep things as on-topic as possible.

For context, I don’t consider myself “woke”. I’m a believer that you have to be very careful with any kind of ideology that threatens to swing too far left or too far right, and I’m far from comfortable with a world where a slip of the tongue or an historic transgression can potentially end an otherwise good career. Few of us are saints, and I certainly don’t profess to be one.

But I can still recognise that the world of 40, 30, 20, 10 or even 5 years ago had some fairly glaring societal issues. I just didn’t think about them very much. That’s because, as a white, straight, able-bodied male, they didn’t really affect me. Start changing any one of those parameters, and life gets harder. Change more than one, and the effect is compound.

This notion of DEI, as you put it, isn’t some woke, anti-white, anti-straight agenda. It’s about making the playing field as level as possible for everyone. Imagine two people of identical innate talent, only one is white, male, middle class, from a happy home, and went to a revered public school. The other is black, female, grew up poor, in a deprived area, and went to a failing school. Both equally talented, but one more fortunate and less discriminated against than the other, for no other reason than cos’ life ain’t fair. The former simply has a much greater advantage in fulfilling their potential; all so called DEI aims to be is be cognisant of that when it comes to university and employment applications. To be against such a concept is to be against social mobility, and to be against social mobility seems cúntish if you’re doing really well for yourself, and downright daft if you’re not.

Let’s take the specific example of your granddaughter’s application to study medicine. You point out that she is seemingly at a disadvantage of those who came from poor backgrounds and / or had free school dinners, whilst acknowledging that she has an equivalent advantage over those who went to private school. Let’s take the specific example of your granddaughter’s application to study medicine. You point out that she is seemingly at a disadvantage of those who came from poor backgrounds and / or had free school dinners, whilst acknowledging that she has an equivalent advantage over those who went to private school. The whole premise of this DEI concept is that there is no advantage or disadvantage - it creates a normalised meritocracy by putting kids from deprived backgrounds and those who had everything going for them on an equal footing.

I’m sure you can find flaws in the specific mechanic used to rank applicants, but that’s the ethos behind it. Again, I’m not sure you can be simultaneously against that kind of approach, the kind of approach encouraged by the likes of B Corp, AND the notion of the country being run by the upper classes forever more.

Finally, I’m ever so slightly perplexed as to how you managed to derive my apparent naivety from a question I asked? I’m always open minded and ready to be educated whenever I’m presented with a viewpoint that’s more logical and well rounded than my own.

Anyway, I wish your granddaughter all the best in her application. A fantastic and noble career to pursue.

"Let’s take the specific example of your granddaughter’s application to study medicine. You point out that she is seemingly at a disadvantage of those who came from poor backgrounds and / or had free school dinners, whilst acknowledging that she has an equivalent advantage over those who went to private school. The whole premise of this DEI concept is that there is no advantage or disadvantage - it creates a normalised meritocracy by putting kids from deprived backgrounds and those who had everything going for them on an equal footing"

"You point out that she is seemingly at a disadvantage"[/i]  Not seemingly, its actually. The college discussion is not just about over subscribed applications, its also be aware that these points stack up against you.
The Law in the UK takes care of meritocracy. The problem is that the DEI (DIE) puts pressure on people to deliver this always out of reach prize. The fact is that it you actually think "The whole premise of this DEI concept is that there is no advantage or disadvantage - it creates a normalised meritocracy by putting kids from deprived backgrounds and those who had everything going for them on an equal footing" whilst the reality is that less educated (Examination Results) will and are put forward and better educated (Exam Results)  are denied the chance due to this points system. So to fulfil your dreams of "normalised meritocracy" you do the opposite, and you are proud of it?
You see my politics allows me to see bright people, with the right work ethic be it Princes or Paupers as long as they know what they are doing, your politics is Paupers only, and if some of them are not up to it that's ok, it part of the B Corp plan. I just hope in the future your surgeon isn't one of these Paupers who shouldn't be there. Socialism in action eh, It is getting like North Korea.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 61 - 136
GrimPol
January 20, 2024, 4:27pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from gtfcmd
Does b corp give you 3 points on the pitch ?

Not if you employ a goalie with one arm to fulfil the Inclusvity clause it doesn't.
But gives loads of points in the B Corp table.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 62 - 136
Poojah
January 20, 2024, 4:39pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

"Let’s take the specific example of your granddaughter’s application to study medicine. You point out that she is seemingly at a disadvantage of those who came from poor backgrounds and / or had free school dinners, whilst acknowledging that she has an equivalent advantage over those who went to private school. The whole premise of this DEI concept is that there is no advantage or disadvantage - it creates a normalised meritocracy by putting kids from deprived backgrounds and those who had everything going for them on an equal footing"

"You point out that she is seemingly at a disadvantage"[/i]  Not seemingly, its actually. The college discussion is not just about over subscribed applications, its also be aware that these points stack up against you.
The Law in the UK takes care of meritocracy. The problem is that the DEI (DIE) puts pressure on people to deliver this always out of reach prize. The fact is that it you actually think "The whole premise of this DEI concept is that there is no advantage or disadvantage - it creates a normalised meritocracy by putting kids from deprived backgrounds and those who had everything going for them on an equal footing" whilst the reality is that less educated (Examination Results) will and are put forward and better educated (Exam Results)  are denied the chance due to this points system. So to fulfil your dreams of "normalised meritocracy" you do the opposite, and you are proud of it?
You see my politics allows me to see bright people, with the right work ethic be it Princes or Paupers as long as they know what they are doing, your politics is Paupers only, and if some of them are not up to it that's ok, it part of the B Corp plan. I just hope in the future your surgeon isn't one of these Paupers who shouldn't be there. Socialism in action eh, It is getting like North Korea.

With the best will in the world, that’s not the easiest post to follow for a whole number of reasons. If you think what I described in my post was about a “paupers only” concept then you either haven’t read it or you haven’t understood it. Nor am I a socialist. And no, the UK isn’t becoming like North Korea.

Anyway, I’m checking out of this thread now, it’s gone well off-piste. Whatever our respective opinions, I hope all goes well for your granddaughter.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 63 - 136
Balthazar Bullitt
January 20, 2024, 4:49pm

Table Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.26
Rep Score: +10 / -1
Approval: +2,260
Gold Stars: 16

Still only his opinion though.

What are you doing still expressing an opinion?
You were cancelled a few pages back
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 64 - 136
HerveJosse
January 20, 2024, 4:57pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah

Let’s take the specific example of your granddaughter’s application to study medicine. You point out that she is seemingly at a disadvantage of those who came from poor backgrounds and / or had free school dinners, whilst acknowledging that she has an equivalent advantage over those who went to private school. The whole premise of this DEI concept is that there is no advantage or disadvantage - it creates a normalised meritocracy by putting kids from deprived backgrounds and those who had everything going for them on an equal footing.

Well as it’s Saturday afternoon and there is no football and we are well into non football already here goes. I would just like to point out that this imperfect world of 20 30 40 years ago produced 2-4 % annual productivity growth and steadily rising standards of living for all. Now the woke,shirker , me only (sorry me to ) generation is starting to dominate society productivity growth is nil standards of living are falling and vast parts of the country is broken and gone to ratshit.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 65 - 136
chaos33
January 20, 2024, 5:14pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Well as it’s Saturday afternoon and there is no football and we are well into non football already here goes. I would just like to point out that this imperfect world of 20 30 40 years ago produced 2-4 % annual productivity growth and steadily rising standards of living for all. Now the woke,shirker , me only (sorry me to ) generation is starting to dominate society productivity growth is nil standards of living are falling and vast parts of the country is broken and gone to ratshit.

How the hell do they ‘dominate society’?!

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 66 - 136
chaos33
January 20, 2024, 5:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

😂

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 67 - 136
GYinScuntland
January 20, 2024, 5:43pm

Brandy Drinker
Quoted from Balthazar Bullitt

Slipped through the net. 😉
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 68 - 136
January 20, 2024, 6:16pm
Guest User
[quote=140537]

My granddaughter is now being punished by this DEI that B Corp is pushing. How you may ask? Well she wants to study medicine, and as there over 40,000 applicants for some 7500 places (Medicine is the only capped degree at university) Lots of Unis are into Diversity Equity Inclusion . She has not only to "fight" her way through 5 or other applicants on her merit i.e. exam results, she is starting further back of the starting line because she is White, because doesn't come from a broken home, because her parents are straights, and because she didn't receive free dinners at school. She does start in front of the kids from private schools. So she may not get her chance because some kids get in front of her not because of merit, because others were pushed to the front. That's Diversity Equity Inclusion or DEI in action. It should be called DIE as whatever it touches withers and dies. So how helpful is B Corp to race relations? As I said, your naivety is breathtaking

Once again, more garbage from you.

Reply: 69 - 136
Maringer
January 20, 2024, 6:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Wow, I've read some gibberish on here in the past, but that lot takes some beating.

Starting with Thatcher, the post-war settlement has been methodically picked apart by the ruling classes (who tend to be the wealthiest and most privileged), leading to transfer of wealth ever-upwards, looting of the state (sold off to their mates on the cheap) and the marketisation of every aspect of the public sector.

Last generation or two of kids who you denigrate haven't had a flipping chance in life. No chance of owning a property (unless your parents are wealthy), little prospect of getting ahead in life through education without totting up crippling debts (unless your parents are wealthy) and being poorly-served by a state which is falling to pieces due to deliberate under-investment.

We've got people in this thread complaining about DEI when we haven't been training anywhere near enough doctors (or nurses) for our needs for decades. We've been stealing them from poorer countries and now we've reached the tipping point where they medics are so poorly-treated and paid over here that they are all decamping overseas instead. Yet, it's the people from difficult backgrounds trying to get ahead through education and building a career who are getting blamed for this!

I bought my house 20 years ago, easily affordable for me though I was living on my own and not earning a massive wage. My modern-day counterpart a generation on is paying double my equivalent mortgage payment in rent with tens of thousands of student debt to service. And yet they are getting blamed for the terribly-run businesses where they work, many of which have been screwed over by nonsense such a Brexit, as if they are to blame.

Absolutely flipping laughable stuff there mate. It's like you're phoning it in from a different planet.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 70 - 136
Limerick Mariner
January 20, 2024, 6:46pm
Whiskey Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.56
Rep Score: +10 / -3
Approval: +5,704
Gold Stars: 136
Quoted from GrimPol

DEI isn’t the problem and I expect your daughter has the ability to read Medicine; the problem is this government putting artificial caps on the numbers. All the stats are there staring us in the face, GP numbers, nurse numbers, waiting lists, A and E waiting times, access to social care. DEI don’t make me laugh, that’s feck all to do with the dismantling of public services that’s been imposed on us over the last 13 years

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 71 - 136
chaos33
January 20, 2024, 6:53pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Wow, I've read some gibberish on here in the past, but that lot takes some beating.

Starting with Thatcher, the post-war settlement has been methodically picked apart by the ruling classes (who tend to be the wealthiest and most privileged), leading to transfer of wealth ever-upwards, looting of the state (sold off to their mates on the cheap) and the marketisation of every aspect of the public sector.

Last generation or two of kids who you denigrate haven't had a flipping chance in life. No chance of owning a property (unless your parents are wealthy), little prospect of getting ahead in life through education without totting up crippling debts (unless your parents are wealthy) and being poorly-served by a state which is falling to pieces due to deliberate under-investment.

We've got people in this thread complaining about DEI when we haven't been training anywhere near enough doctors (or nurses) for our needs for decades. We've been stealing them from poorer countries and now we've reached the tipping point where they medics are so poorly-treated and paid over here that they are all decamping overseas instead. Yet, it's the people from difficult backgrounds trying to get ahead through education and building a career who are getting blamed for this!

I bought my house 20 years ago, easily affordable for me though I was living on my own and not earning a massive wage. My modern-day counterpart a generation on is paying double my equivalent mortgage payment in rent with tens of thousands of student debt to service. And yet they are getting blamed for the terribly-run businesses where they work, many of which have been screwed over by nonsense such a Brexit, as if they are to blame.

Absolutely flipping laughable stuff there mate. It's like you're phoning it in from a different planet.

Thank you. Absolutely the truth.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 72 - 136
HerveJosse
January 20, 2024, 7:01pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Yes when I was describing this generation I forget ‘and it’s all our parents fault for working hard and creating their own wealth’ . Thanks for reminding me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 73 - 136
January 20, 2024, 9:04pm
Guest User
Quoted from Maringer

I have young neighbours either side of me, both of whom are buying their houses.  

Reply: 74 - 136
FishGY
January 20, 2024, 9:08pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +65
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from GrimPol

You point out that she is seemingly at a disadvantage"[/i]  Not seemingly, its actually. The college discussion is not just about over subscribed applications, its also be aware that these points stack up against you.

I understand your point comes from the belief that exam results are an accurate reflection on ability in a subject/field, and thus putting someone from a less fortunate background with lower grades above someone with higher grades from a more advantageous background is promoting worse candidates over better ones. The point of initiatives such as DEI is to address the fact that this isn't true - exam results are partially a reflection of ability, but reflect socioeconomic background more.

What I'm saying is pretty undisputed in the education sphere I think, but here's a good demonstrative source:
https://www.sciencedaily.com/r.....ional%20achievement.
As you see, people with less affluent parents and higher genetic ability for academia actually have lower university admissions than those with affluent parents with lower genetic ability for academia.

Assuming university admissions are a good indicator of exam results (which I think is a fair assumption), this goes against your ideal that exam results alone give a fair and meritocratic system.

This is all by design; why would wealthy parents put their children into more expensive and elite schools if it didn't inflate their chances above those without that luxury.

To use your language, a 'pauper' with slightly lower grades than a 'prince' has a good argument to say they may well be more adept in a higher education course on the topic, and would do better on an equal playing field (which they would get at the same university). The DEI and such initiatives recognise this - it will not inflate failing paupers over the best princes, just those close enough to suggest the ability of the pauper is likely to be higher. I don't know the calculations they will use, and I imagine it isn't done perfectly, but the idea is that it is fairer, and that's a good thing.

For your end point, the pauper and the prince will be assessed identically for becoming a qualified surgeon (to use your example). It will never be the case that someone will get boosted in passing their final surgeon exams at university because of their background. Whether pauper or prince, if they pass those exams then they are qualified and if they fail they won't be, but there is nothing to suggest the slightly lower qualified pauper out of 6th form is less likely to pass the university courses as the slightly higher qualified prince. The adjustment here is made at the university admission, not afterwards.

I would respectfully suggest your last line doesn't help the confidence in your argument. If what you are saying were true, you wouldn't need to try and argue it with objectively sensationalist and false statements. This country is probably not like North Korea, and I guess you know that. I also find it bizarre people on a Grimsby forum, thus linked in some way to a more deprived town in the UK, are against initiatives intended not for socialism, but for increased possibility of social mobility.

It's clear the majority disagree with your take, but I wanted to explicitly challenge your idea that the exam results system is fair and already meritocratic. It is completely natural you believed this, as that's how it's sold to us, but it does favour the established elite, and it is important to point this out as it actively harms future opportunity of people from towns such as ours.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 75 - 136
Knut Anders Fosters Voles
January 20, 2024, 9:09pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.86
Rep Score: +24 / -1
Approval: +8,828
Gold Stars: 555
Quoted from 123614

I have young neighbours either side of me, both of whom are buying their houses.  

I’d be selling if I was them

Did the surveys identify the glory holes?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 76 - 136
FishGY
January 20, 2024, 9:19pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Yes when I was describing this generation I forget ‘and it’s all our parents fault for working hard and creating their own wealth’ . Thanks for reminding me.

Don't think many blame the previous generations for 'working hard and creating their own wealth', but it is completely valid to call out a rather significant proportion of that group for choosing to manage and use that wealth to live overly luxurious lifestyles, exploiting the younger adult generation (outside potentially their own children) in a way that makes it so working hard in the same way can no longer create wealth.

You can argue that they made their money and can choose what to do with it. Objectively this is true, but it is objectively selfish, and people don't believe it is a sustainable set up.

To make it clear, people don't blame the previous generations for working hard to create wealth, but do disagree with how they've chosen to use that wealth to aid an inequal and divided society.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 77 - 136
ginnywings
January 20, 2024, 9:19pm

Recovering Alcoholic
Posts Per Day: 5.03
Rep Score: +88 / -32
Approval: +56,147
Gold Stars: 548
Quoted from GrimPol

You don't seem to have a problem with this. I wonder why.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 78 - 136
jamesgtfc
January 20, 2024, 9:27pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Every university programme must have a cap of some sort, because university buildings can only hold so many people at a time, and their staff can only teach for so many hours in any given day.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 79 - 136
Theimperialcoroner
January 20, 2024, 9:51pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,209
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Every university programme must have a cap of some sort, because university buildings can only hold so many people at a time, and their staff can only teach for so many hours in any given day.

Just as an aside to this, the govt have put another artificial cap on all of this to appease the mouth breathers who don’t like immigration. The University I work for has been growing steadily within its means for some time. The policy hindering overseas students will result in a shortfall of income of some £20m. This means jobs will go and probably worse, the brightest brains will not come to the U.K. to study.
Anyhow this whole thread is about people getting their knickers in a twist because they don’t understand what BCorp status is and I really can’t be arsed to argue with their Billy Britain mentality.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 136
jamesgtfc
January 20, 2024, 10:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Just as an aside to this, the govt have put another artificial cap on all of this to appease the mouth breathers who don’t like immigration. The University I work for has been growing steadily within its means for some time. The policy hindering overseas students will result in a shortfall of income of some £20m. This means jobs will go and probably worse, the brightest brains will not come to the U.K. to study.
Anyhow this whole thread is about people getting their knickers in a twist because they don’t understand what BCorp status is and I really can’t be arsed to argue with their Billy Britain mentality.

I'm currently studying at University of Lincoln, and we got an email on Friday about financial pressures that universities are under. Lincoln aren't in a particularly bad situation at the moment but they are going to be hit by the visa clampdown for sure. I am studying part-time, last year I was one of only 5 domestic students on the programme, and this year I am the only one.

To be clear, the reason I am the only domestic student has absolutely nothing to do with a DEI agenda.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 136
Croxton
January 20, 2024, 10:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.75
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,017
Gold Stars: 33
Quoted from FishGY

Don't think many blame the previous generations for 'working hard and creating their own wealth', but it is completely valid to call out a rather significant proportion of that group for choosing to manage and use that wealth to live overly luxurious lifestyles, exploiting the younger adult generation (outside potentially their own children) in a way that makes it so working hard in the same way can no longer create wealth.

You can argue that they made their money and can choose what to do with it. Objectively this is true, but it is objectively selfish, and people don't believe it is a sustainable set up.

To make it clear, people don't blame the previous generations for working hard to create wealth, but do disagree with how they've chosen to use that wealth to aid an inequal and divided society.

Just to be clear. Which of those of us who have 'worked hard and created their own wealth' now live 'overly luxurious lifestyles'? You make broad and unhelpful generalisations which fail to inform a much needed discussion about how to redress our unequal society. Some of my wider family have had similar opportunities in life but with markedly different outcomes over the last hundred years.

Identity politics is ruinous to any topic on the non footy threads and worse than useless on a blank Saturday. I'm 74 and a teacher for forty of them. All Governments of whatever hue have failed to move the dial sufficiently on equality of opportunity whether it's schooling, housing or health.  

FWIW, this B Corp stuff is a sideshow compared to sorting out our woeful defence. In my 'real ' life I care a lot about EDI issues for six days a week but even when the game is postponed we should keep matchday sacrosanct.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 136
mariner91
January 20, 2024, 10:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,666
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GrimPol

My granddaughter is now being punished by this DEI that B Corp is pushing. How you may ask? Well she wants to study medicine, and as there over 40,000 applicants for some 7500 places (Medicine is the only capped degree at university) Lots of Unis are into Diversity Equity Inclusion . She has not only to "fight" her way through 5 or other.

Dentistry is also capped. The problem isn’t trying to allow the social mobility of capable people from backgrounds that would have previously precluded them from a career in these disciplines and more that we aren’t training anywhere near enough of these professionals for the needs of the country. The problem is then compounded by poor working conditions for doctors in particular leading to many of them leaving to go abroad where pay and work conditions better reflect their training and level of skill. DEI really doesn’t create a situation where those from poorer backgrounds get in ahead of others with equal exam results. Considerably higher than 50% of dental students at Kings College went to private school for example. I do though sincerely hope your granddaughter gets a place, I wish her all the best with her application.  
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 136
FishGY
January 20, 2024, 10:51pm
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from Croxton

Just to be clear. Which of those of us who have 'worked hard and created their own wealth' now live 'overly luxurious lifestyles'? You make broad and unhelpful generalisations which fail to inform a much needed discussion about how to redress our unequal society. Some of my wider family have had similar opportunities in life but with markedly different outcomes over the last hundred years.

Identity politics is ruinous to any topic on the non footy threads and worse than useless on a blank Saturday. I'm 74 and a teacher for forty of them. All Governments of whatever hue have failed to move the dial sufficiently on equality of opportunity whether it's schooling, housing or health.  

FWIW, this B Corp stuff is a sideshow compared to sorting out our woeful defence. In my 'real ' life I care a lot about EDI issues for six days a week but even when the game is postponed we should keep matchday sacrosanct.

'Those' which the young adult population complain about, which the comment I was replying to seemed to think was all parents.

I disagree that I generalised, I explicitly said 'significant proportion' of that group, which no matter it's numerical proportion is significant in the impact that it does have on the ability of young adults today to start 'building wealth'.

My comment wasn't meant to inform how to equalise society, it was calling out a narrative from someone else, that was itself irrelevant and a largely untrue generalisation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 136
HerveJosse
January 20, 2024, 11:49pm
Champagne Drinker
As someone who was actually there at the time rather then a later generation that seems to have brainwashed itself into the view that there was massive unequal opportunity in Britain before they and b corp came along to put the world right. My cohort of local kids who left school in the mid seventies includes people who went ion to be captains of industry, leaders in their professions , master of Oxford colleges ,judges  politicians etc etc all from their humble backgrounds in Cleethorpes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 136
Croxton
January 21, 2024, 12:01am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from FishGY

'Those' which the young adult population complain about, which the comment I was replying to seemed to think was all parents.

I disagree that I generalised, I explicitly said 'significant proportion' of that group, which no matter it's numerical proportion is significant in the impact that it does have on the ability of young adults today to start 'building wealth'.

My comment wasn't meant to inform how to equalise society, it was calling out a narrative from someone else, that was itself irrelevant and a largely untrue generalisation.

Yes, I think I follow the argument as such but without the exact percentages to hand, I assume you mean the small proportion of the population who own the majority of the land, property, stocks and gold etc ?  I venture to assume you don't mean ordinary Joe's who have paid off a mortgage, raised a family, contributed to a pension, bought season tickets, enjoy the odd cruise and manage to leave some cash in their will for kids and grandkids?

How much inherited wealth is allowed in your book? Bear in mind, the Banking system is pretty reliant on hefty deposits to retain confidence after the last crash. Any new Government will only be able to tinker at the edges of the tax system. One of the reasons politicians and media are so engaged in the Culture Wars distractions is because they can only promise 'jam tomorrow'. Radical changes scare the natives and the IMF.

We can easily agree on the problems. Its the solutions that are tricky.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 136
FishGY
January 21, 2024, 1:38am
Shandy Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse
As someone who was actually there at the time rather then a later generation that seems to have brainwashed itself into the view that there was massive unequal opportunity in Britain before they and b corp came along to put the world right. My cohort of local kids who left school in the mid seventies includes people who went ion to be captains of industry, leaders in their professions , master of Oxford colleges ,judges  politicians etc etc all from their humble backgrounds in Cleethorpes

That you were there is irrelevant, that there was and still in notable unequal opportunity in Britain is concretely evidenced. The 'brainwashed' generation don't believe they or B corps have put everything to rights, they are open minded and critical towards initiatives to make the world a fairer place. You're just making up how younger people think to self-justify your view that you're not open minded to criticising.

Yes you know some people who did very well, the ruling classes love cases like this as they zoom in on them to 'prove' background doesn't matter, just hard work etc., but you'd have known more had it been fairer, and those you do know may have done better quicker. This is the point - to argue these people had no disadvantage is to discredit their achievement of overcoming a more moderate background (plenty in Cleethorpes are not what I consider unprivileged)

To semi-answer Croxton at the same time, obviously where each person draws the line of overly luxurious is different, to answer your questions would be to give more of my personal politics than is here appropriate. Feel free to PM if you're interested, I'm always open minded to such conversations. If you want to leave the fishy as your football not political space then I understand that as well and wish you the best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 136
HerveJosse
January 21, 2024, 8:30am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from FishGY

That you were there is irrelevant, that there was and still in notable unequal opportunity in Britain is concretely evidenced. The 'brainwashed' generation don't believe they or B corps have put everything to rights, they are open minded and critical towards initiatives to make the world a fairer place. You're just making up how younger people think to self-justify your view that you're not open minded to criticising.

Yes you know some people who did very well, the ruling classes love cases like this as they zoom in on them to 'prove' background doesn't matter, just hard work etc., but you'd have known more had it been fairer, and those you do know may have done better quicker. This is the point - to argue these people had no disadvantage is to discredit their achievement of overcoming a more moderate background (plenty in Cleethorpes are not what I consider unprivileged)

To semi-answer Croxton at the same time, obviously where each person draws the line of overly luxurious is different, to answer your questions would be to give more of my personal politics than is here appropriate. Feel free to PM if you're interested, I'm always open minded to such conversations. If you want to leave the fishy as your football not political space then I understand that as well and wish you the best.

So being there and seeing things for yourself is irrelevant ibecause it doesn’t fit the doctrine . You don’t work for the Post Office by any chance do you.?
Coming from Cleethorpes isn’t underprivileged enough to count… Not much chance of your views ever changing then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 136
Croxton
January 21, 2024, 9:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from FishGY

If you lived round the corner we could go for a stroll in the Peak District and put the world to rights over a pint I'm sure. The Fishy, however, is not conducive to civilised debate sadly. Social media debate becomes polarised and things get said that can't be taken back. Our mods get involved in issues and are too light touch in applying Fishy rules. As a lone exile, I prefer a safe space where I can access a span of views about the game I have travelled hundreds of miles to watch. If I want a ding dong political debate I only have to talk to my eldest son for two minutes!

I miss the contributions of several Fishies who have withdrawn from posting, passed away or taken a mental health break over the recent months and years. I would be saddened to think any of my comments have upset anyone else so I tend to back off. Thanks for your good wishes which I return. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 136
1mickylyons
January 21, 2024, 11:06am
Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.53
Rep Score: +42 / -14
Approval: +9,387
Gold Stars: 56
Quoted from Croxton

If you lived round the corner we could go for a stroll in the Peak District and put the world to rights over a pint I'm sure. The Fishy, however, is not conducive to civilised debate sadly. Social media debate becomes polarised and things get said that can't be taken back. Our mods get involved in issues and are too light touch in applying Fishy rules. As a lone exile, I prefer a safe space where I can access a span of views about the game I have travelled hundreds of miles to watch. If I want a ding dong political debate I only have to talk to my eldest son for two minutes!

I miss the contributions of several Fishies who have withdrawn from posting, passed away or taken a mental health break over the recent months and years. I would be saddened to think any of my comments have upset anyone else so I tend to back off. Thanks for your good wishes which I return. UTM

The Fishy World was  better when we had the likes of Icenian and JDT amongst others  to banter with .
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 90 - 136
GrimPol
January 22, 2024, 11:28am
Fine Wine Drinker

Billy Britain here.     Overseas Students pay much more than "local" students hence OS are a valuable "income" to Unis. However it has come to pass that students from certain countries want to bring their families with them, and these families are rather extended, and that was for some time a method of Immigration. I always thought one of the points of going to Uni is to be away from you family. Unis shouldn't be operating for a nefarious purpose.
There will always be some kind of budgetary constraint, hell, GTFC run to a budget, your household runs to a budget, and so do Unis. Medical degrees are the only ones which the government sets, all others
are as budgets allow. Indeed the proliferation of student numbers from 25% of 18 year olds to 38% of 18 year olds has not only lowered standards, but some strange Degrees have appeared.
B Corp is both Sinister, and Creepy and you know it, but fits your Political View of life that's why suddenly people who question it are called "mouth breathers who don’t like immigration" and Billy Britain. because you are arguing a nonsense system. BCorp DEI or it should be called DIE because what touches will eventually wither away, whilst damaging people on the way down.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 91 - 136
jamesgtfc
January 22, 2024, 12:05pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Billy Britain here.     Overseas Students pay much more than "local" students hence OS are a valuable "income" to Unis. However it has come to pass that students from certain countries want to bring their families with them, and these families are rather extended, and that was for some time a method of Immigration. I always thought one of the points of going to Uni is to be away from you family. Unis shouldn't be operating for a nefarious purpose.
There will always be some kind of budgetary constraint, hell, GTFC run to a budget, your household runs to a budget, and so do Unis. Medical degrees are the only ones which the government sets, all others
are as budgets allow. Indeed the proliferation of student numbers from 25% of 18 year olds to 38% of 18 year olds has not only lowered standards, but some strange Degrees have appeared.
B Corp is both Sinister, and Creepy and you know it, but fits your Political View of life that's why suddenly people who question it are called "mouth breathers who don’t like immigration" and Billy Britain. because you are arguing a nonsense system. BCorp DEI or it should be called DIE because what touches will eventually wither away, whilst damaging people on the way down.

You do know that most international students are studying postgraduate qualifications such as an MA, MSc or PhD don't you? International students take very few places from school leavers heading off for their undergraduate degree.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 92 - 136
chaos33
January 22, 2024, 12:28pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

How are Uni’s operating ‘nefariously’? and, you still haven’t shown or explained that BCorp is ‘creepy’ or ‘sinister’. Obviously, you can’t do that of course, because it isn’t, but let’s see you try to make a case.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 93 - 136
Theimperialcoroner
January 22, 2024, 1:19pm

Quoted from GrimPol

A perfectly written piece to tell the world that you don’t know what you are talking about and have swallowed all the right wing balderdash you read in your bubble.
You’ve got all frothy about diversity and inclusion, funny how that has become a hot topic with Tucker Carlson et al. They have even blamed a plane engine fire on it. It’s a bizarre world you inhabit.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 94 - 136
Chrisblor
January 22, 2024, 1:21pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Again you have no idea what you are banging on about. Take it from me, someone who works in a university with experience of working in immigration compliance and issuing Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies documents which are a requisite for applying for a Student Visa (and associated Dependent Visa):

- You are correct that the number of dependent visas being granted to the immediate family members of those entering the UK on Student Visas has been increasing over the last few years, primarily driven by Nigerian and Indian nationals, however the increase has only really been significant since around 2020

- International students eligible to bring dependents with them can only bring their partner and dependent U18 children (source), not their 'rather extended' families, stop chatting balderdash.

- The government has closed off the option to bring dependents to the majority of Student Visa holders. Only students coming for 3-4 years to study a PhD, or students doing a Masters degree who are fully funded by their home government (a stipulation which applies to very few students) can bring dependents with them from the start of this year, so the numbers of dependents coming to the UK will now significantly fall again (source). Most students bringing their dependents with them are older adults in their mid to late 20s and 30s who have families - they are not 18 year old undergraduates learning to 'be away from their family' as you characterise them.

- The vast majority of students, and their dependents, who enter the UK on a Student Visa leave and return to their home country either after completing their course, or after completing a two to three years on a Graduate Visa (during which you are not eligible to claim any benefits, and have to pay an additional £1,035 for each year you remain in the UK in order to be eligible to access healthcare)

- The statistics around how many international students remain in the UK have been manipulated by various parties, like Government Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick coming out recently with some rubbish about how 40% of international students remain in the UK after they finish their studies. This is complete nonsense and the Home Office's own reporting shows that of all 152k international students who entered the UK in 2016, only 17% of them remained in the UK five years later in 2021 (the majority of which were working in highly paid, high skilled roles on T1 High Value Migrant or T2 Skilled Worker visas), and less than 1% of those 152k students had been granted permanent settlement in the UK (source)

- The government has launched a review into post study work visas for international graduates. The impact of this rhetoric is already being felt by the sector as the opportunity to work temporarily in the UK is incredibly important for prospective international students. In the mid 2010s the Home Office under Theresa May removed the ability to remain in the UK on a graduate visa and this completely cratered international student numbers coming to the UK from India. The return of this option has caused applications from India to rebound, with the number of Indian students in British Universities rising from 34,261 in 2019 to 139,539 in 2022, primarily driven by the opportunity to temporarily work in the UK. It is incredibly important to retain this option so the UK remains an attractive destination for students in a global market - all of our competitor countries (Canada, Australia, USA, and the EU) allow students to temporarily remain and work after they graduate.

- International students contribute £41.9 billion pounds a year to the UK economy, significant amounts of which is spent in local economies and helps to counter some of the regional economic imbalance that exists around the country (source). On average, each of the 650 parliamentary constituencies in the UK is £58m (per constituency) better off because of international students – equivalent to approximately £560 per citizen

- International Students and those on Graduate Visas are net contributors to the economy - they put far more money into this country than they cost us in hosting them (In 2021-22 the total public cost associated with international students and their dependants was estimated to be £4.4bn, which was hugely offset by the £41.9bn they contributed to the economy, a net benefit to the UK of £37.4bn a year - source). Why on earth would we want to wreck one of the few remaining world class export industries this country has, just to appease a load of ignorant prejudiced dickheads who want to run the country into the ground?

Please stop getting your news about international students from biased sources and uncritically parroting nonsense, all it will do is kill off the UK as a preferred study destination and make us all worse off as a result.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 95 - 136
Theimperialcoroner
January 22, 2024, 1:42pm

Quoted from Chrisblor

Again you have no idea what you are banging on about. Take it from me, someone who works in a university with experience of working in immigration compliance and issuing Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies documents which are a requisite for applying for a Student Visa (and associated Dependent Visa):

- You are correct that the number of dependent visas being granted to the immediate family members of those entering the UK on Student Visas has been increasing over the last few years, primarily driven by Nigerian and Indian nationals, however the increase has only really been significant since around 2020

- International students eligible to bring dependents with them can only bring their partner and dependent U18 children (source), not their 'rather extended' families, stop chatting balderdash.

- The government has closed off the option to bring dependents to the majority of Student Visa holders. Only students coming for 3-4 years to study a PhD, or students doing a Masters degree who are fully funded by their home government (a stipulation which applies to very few students) can bring dependents with them from the start of this year, so the numbers of dependents coming to the UK will now significantly fall again (source). Most students bringing their dependents with them are older adults in their mid to late 20s and 30s who have families - they are not 18 year old undergraduates learning to 'be away from their family' as you characterise them.

- The vast majority of students, and their dependents, who enter the UK on a Student Visa leave and return to their home country either after completing their course, or after completing a two to three years on a Graduate Visa (during which you are not eligible to claim any benefits, and have to pay an additional £1,035 for each year you remain in the UK in order to be eligible to access healthcare)

- The statistics around how many international students remain in the UK have been manipulated by various parties, like Government Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick coming out recently with some rubbish about how 40% of international students remain in the UK after they finish their studies. This is complete nonsense and the Home Office's own reporting shows that of all 152k international students who entered the UK in 2016, only 17% of them remained in the UK five years later in 2021 (the majority of which were working in highly paid, high skilled roles on T1 High Value Migrant or T2 Skilled Worker visas), and less than 1% of those 152k students had been granted permanent settlement in the UK (source)

- The government has launched a review into post study work visas for international graduates. The impact of this rhetoric is already being felt by the sector as the opportunity to work temporarily in the UK is incredibly important for prospective international students. In the mid 2010s the Home Office under Theresa May removed the ability to remain in the UK on a graduate visa and this completely cratered international student numbers coming to the UK from India. The return of this option has caused applications from India to rebound, with the number of Indian students in British Universities rising from 34,261 in 2019 to 139,539 in 2022, primarily driven by the opportunity to temporarily work in the UK. It is incredibly important to retain this option so the UK remains an attractive destination for students in a global market - all of our competitor countries (Canada, Australia, USA, and the EU) allow students to temporarily remain and work after they graduate.

- International students contribute £41.9 billion pounds a year to the UK economy, significant amounts of which is spent in local economies and helps to counter some of the regional economic imbalance that exists around the country (source). On average, each of the 650 parliamentary constituencies in the UK is £58m (per constituency) better off because of international students – equivalent to approximately £560 per citizen

- International Students and those on Graduate Visas are net contributors to the economy - they put far more money into this country than they cost us in hosting them (In 2021-22 the total public cost associated with international students and their dependants was estimated to be £4.4bn, which was hugely offset by the £41.9bn they contributed to the economy, a net benefit to the UK of £37.4bn a year - source). Why on earth would we want to wreck one of the few remaining world class export industries this country has, just to appease a load of ignorant prejudiced dickheads who want to run the country into the ground?

Please stop getting your news about international students from biased sources and uncritically parroting nonsense, all it will do is kill off the UK as a preferred study destination and make us all worse off as a result.

Thanks Chris, you are so right, but certain people keep watching GBNews. People do not understand the impact of this nonsense. It’s people’s jobs and a dumbing down of the country. I’d be much more shouty and angry about my responses so have to keep them shorter. You never know, hard facts might just sink in. Doubt it though.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 96 - 136
Heisenberg
January 22, 2024, 3:08pm
Brandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.80
Rep Score: +9 / -1
Approval: +5,074
Gold Stars: 93
Will someone in authority please send this thread to ‘non-football’? Good god, it’s boring.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 97 - 136
diehardmariner
January 22, 2024, 3:22pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.99
Rep Score: +36 / -6
Approval: +17,634
Gold Stars: 539
But you keep clicking back just in case anyone has decided to post an update on tickets sold for the next home game?  
Private Message
Reply: 98 - 136
Captain Sensible
January 22, 2024, 3:24pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.09
Approval: +178
Gold Stars: 5
Quoted from Heisenberg
Will someone in authority please send this thread to ‘non-football’? Good god, it’s boring.

A discussion of why a football club would feel it important to achieve B Corp accreditation definitely isn't non-football.

Reading it is optional.

In my opinion of course.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 99 - 136
HerveJosse
January 22, 2024, 3:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

You need to be careful with stats and language before berating others for ignorance. When you say international students ‘contribute’ £41bn to the U.K. economy you mean they generate £41bn of gross revenue about 1.6% of gross gdp. As they currently represent 1% percent of the total U.K. population ( 679k international students at latest estimate) then it’s also fare to assume they consume something around 1% of U.K. total expenditure which in a £2.5 trillion economy means their ‘contribution’ to the U.K. economy is considerably less

I can see that employees in the university sector are desperate to keep them as their jobs depend on it . Landlords in university towns will also be keen to keep them though any average uk person trying to buy or rent a house in these towns and cities were house prices have rocketed as a result will be less keen.

Vested interest only ever see one side of the argument whichever side they are on
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 136
GrimPol
January 22, 2024, 4:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

How are Uni’s operating ‘nefariously’? and, you still haven’t shown or explained that BCorp is ‘creepy’ or ‘sinister’. Obviously, you can’t do that of course, because it isn’t, but let’s see you try to make a case.

Nefariously=  in a morally bad way. Unis are quite happy to bring in Overseas Students, which earn them more than British Students, and if it means that extra family (extended) come as well than stay they don't care.

B Corp Sinister and Creepy.    B Corp are a third party certification, not quality of product but "Social Sustainabilty" or DEI (should be DIE) Not something you can put your finger on, hence can be interpreted as you want. This opens it up to manipulation and flouting of basic employment rights. E.G. people will be "asked" to attend "decolonisation seminars" where white people are told to get rid of their original sin of being white. If you make toilet rolls why would this actual help your company? And how exactly does this help Race relations? And if you don't attend, this decolonisation, then in some cases you are fired. That's the reality

I used granddaughter current search for a Medical Uni place, because that's whats happening right now. She has been prewarned, that she is starting behind others because she is white, doesn't come from a broken home, did not receive free dinners, and hasn't gay parents. Not sure if that a broken home or a leg up for the diversity people.   Now tell me its not Creepy or Sinister.?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 136
SteffiMariner
January 22, 2024, 4:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from GrimPol

Nefariously=  in a morally bad way. Unis are quite happy to bring in Overseas Students, which earn them more than British Students, and if it means that extra family (extended) come as well than stay they don't care.

B Corp Sinister and Creepy.    B Corp are a third party certification, not quality of product but "Social Sustainabilty" or DEI (should be DIE) Not something you can put your finger on, hence can be interpreted as you want. This opens it up to manipulation and flouting of basic employment rights. E.G. people will be "asked" to attend "decolonisation seminars" where white people are told to get rid of their original sin of being white. If you make toilet rolls why would this actual help your company? And how exactly does this help Race relations? And if you don't attend, this decolonisation, then in some cases you are fired. That's the reality

I used granddaughter current search for a Medical Uni place, because that's whats happening right now. She has been prewarned, that she is starting behind others because she is white, doesn't come from a broken home, did not receive free dinners, and hasn't gay parents. Not sure if that a broken home or a leg up for the diversity people.   Now tell me its not Creepy or Sinister.?

Of all the absolute balderdash that has ever been posted on a football forum, this has to be up there with the worst shite I have ever had the displeasure to read.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 136
GrimPol
January 22, 2024, 4:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You do know that most international students are studying postgraduate qualifications such as an MA, MSc or PhD don't you? International students take very few places from school leavers heading off for their undergraduate degree.

I didn't say they did, you just didn't read correctly.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 136
Theimperialcoroner
January 22, 2024, 4:18pm

@Steffimariner you included your bit in the quote but personally (and taking my moderator hat off), I completely agree.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 136
GrimPol
January 22, 2024, 4:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from SteffiMariner

Of all the absolute balderdash that has ever been posted on a football forum, this has to be up there with the worst shite I have ever had the displeasure to read.

Take it up with    jamesgtfc then.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 136
Theimperialcoroner
January 22, 2024, 4:22pm

Quoted from GrimPol

Give me one example in this country where this has happened. Just one. You’ve properly drunk the KoolAid.
Be fascinated to know who told your Grand-daughter that too. Big Dave down the pub doesn’t count btw.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 136
GrimPol
January 22, 2024, 4:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Did I say stop them all?  What I did say, is that we must be more diligent in who we let in. How do you have a problem with that?   Anyway hats off to the government that made it happen.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 136
GrimPol
January 22, 2024, 4:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker

Give me one example in this country where this has happened. Just one. You’ve properly drunk the KoolAid.
Be fascinated to know who told your Grand-daughter that too. Big Dave down the pub doesn’t count btw.

Ill get back to you about me drinking the KoolAID.

Just you be very careful about my granddaughter.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 136
Theimperialcoroner
January 22, 2024, 4:38pm

Quoted from GrimPol

Ill get back to you about me drinking the KoolAID.

Just you be very careful about my granddaughter.

You used her to back up your whole argument, don’t see your bottom with me if that then gets batted back.

You’ve consistently been shown up on this thread yet you keep digging, now essentially resorting to threats. Suggest you take five minutes to breath a little.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 136
jamesgtfc
January 22, 2024, 4:52pm
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from GrimPol

Take it up with    jamesgtfc then.

I created a thread about a football club obtaining B Corp status, and a few people got very offended by it.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 110 - 136
Maringer
January 22, 2024, 5:21pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

You need to be careful with stats and language before berating others for ignorance. When you say international students ‘contribute’ £41bn to the U.K. economy you mean they generate £41bn of gross revenue about 1.6% of gross gdp. As they currently represent 1% percent of the total U.K. population ( 679k international students at latest estimate) then it’s also fare to assume they consume something around 1% of U.K. total expenditure which in a £2.5 trillion economy means their ‘contribution’ to the U.K. economy is considerably less

I can see that employees in the university sector are desperate to keep them as their jobs depend on it . Landlords in university towns will also be keen to keep them though any average uk person trying to buy or rent a house in these towns and cities were house prices have rocketed as a result will be less keen.

Vested interest only ever see one side of the argument whichever side they are on

More nonsense.

One person's spending is another person's income. Any money these students pay into the economy from overseas sources enters our economy and will circulate here. Any money spent on these students using public services is paid back into our economy and therefore, most of it will stay here. It's a substantial net positive.

Also, younger folk don't use anything like as many resources as older folk. These students will barely touch the NHS, for example. They'll also not be claiming much in the way of benefits (I would assume).

I suppose you can argue that housing prices might be impacted, but then that's not the fault of immigrants, is it? It's the fault of successive governments who have overseen the destruction of social housing leading to an utterly broken market and haven't done anything but pay lip service to any policies which are needed to mitigate the issue.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 111 - 136
Chrisblor
January 22, 2024, 5:37pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

Clearly you didn't read my entire post which literally addressed the £4.4bn 'cost' to the country of hosting international students:

"In 2021-22 the total public cost associated with international students and their dependants was estimated to be £4.4bn, which was hugely offset by the £41.9bn they contributed to the economy, a net benefit to the UK of £37.4bn a year"

I'm not sure where you've pulled your back of a homosexual packet calculations from but people who know what they're on about have actually investigated this and found that international students have an economic multiplier of 9.4x - they contribute 9.4 times more to the economy than they cost in the use of public services. (Source: page xii onwards here - https://www.hepi.ac.uk/?p=23923)

Lastly, regarding the impact of international students on house prices, practically all international students live in purpose-built student accommodation blocks these days, their impact on the housing markets in university towns and cities is negligible and the lack of housing supply is down to a failure by government to build enough houses over the last few decades, not because of international students ffs.

Honestly, you need to be careful with stats and language before berating others for ignorance (and talking down the contributions of international students to our economy).

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 112 - 136
HerveJosse
January 22, 2024, 6:50pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Clearly you didn't read my entire post which literally addressed the £4.4bn 'cost' to the country of hosting international students:

"In 2021-22 the total public cost associated with international students and their dependants was estimated to be £4.4bn, which was hugely offset by the £41.9bn they contributed to the economy, a net benefit to the UK of £37.4bn a year"

I'm not sure where you've pulled your back of a homosexual packet calculations from but people who know what they're on about have actually investigated this and found that international students have an economic multiplier of 9.4x - they contribute 9.4 times more to the economy than they cost in the use of public services. (Source: page xii onwards here - https://www.hepi.ac.uk/?p=23923)

Lastly, regarding the impact of international students on house prices, practically all international students live in purpose-built student accommodation blocks these days, their impact on the housing markets in university towns and cities is negligible and the lack of housing supply is down to a failure by government to build enough houses over the last few decades, not because of international students ffs.

Honestly, you need to be careful with stats and language before berating others for ignorance (and talking down the contributions of international students to our economy).

You clearly don’t understand what gdp is it’s the total value of all goods and services and is not a measure of public cost of servicesz £41bn  gross value into GDP your £4.4bn cost is the cost to the public purse only. When money is spent in the private sector ie universities it carries a cost wages building utilities etc. some of that circulates in the economy some doesn’t it’s a consumption  of resources which when used are gone. If £1 could be turned into £9 simply by bringing it into the country this country would be very rich indeed
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 113 - 136
HerveJosse
January 22, 2024, 7:04pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

You clearly don’t understand what gdp is it’s the total value of all goods and services and is not a measure of public cost of servicesz £41bn  gross value into GDP your £4.4m cost is the cost to the public purse only. When money is spent in the private sector ie universities it carries a cost wages building utilities etc. some of that circulates in the economy some doesn’t it’s a consumption  of resources which when used are gone. If £1 could be turned into £9 simply by bringing it into the country this country would be very rich indeed

The nonsense of that assertion can be easily debunked as it would be the same as saying if we did an exchange and sent all our students overseas and in return took an equal number in return financial alchemy would have multiplied our cost of sending them abroad in exchange by 9 in return

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 114 - 136
Son of Cod
January 22, 2024, 7:25pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.93
Rep Score: +8 / 0
Approval: +5,328
Gold Stars: 196
Quoted from Poojah

With the best will in the world, that’s not the easiest post to follow for a whole number of reasons.

New Fishy tagline.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 115 - 136
Maringer
January 22, 2024, 10:06pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

You clearly don’t understand what gdp is it’s the total value of all goods and services and is not a measure of public cost of servicesz £41bn  gross value into GDP your £4.4bn cost is the cost to the public purse only. When money is spent in the private sector ie universities it carries a cost wages building utilities etc. some of that circulates in the economy some doesn’t it’s a consumption  of resources which when used are gone. If £1 could be turned into £9 simply by bringing it into the country this country would be very rich indeed

What on earth are you talking about?

You can't ignore one side of the balance sheet because you are trying to make a (baseless) point. One person's expenditure is another person's income.

You appear to be claiming that the state's 'expenditure' on these folk just disappears into the aether. It doesn't, it is spent back into the economy and most of it will ultimately end up back with the exchequer.

The figures quoted by Chrisblor from the HEPI report are quite specific, yet you're trying to ignore them. The report is free to access:

https://www.hepi.ac.uk/wp-cont.....ational-students.pdf

If you'd like to read it through and point out where you think they've gone wrong, feel free to do so. Otherwise, you're just making baseless claims which appear to be founded on a lack of understanding about how the economy actually works, whilst completely disregarding a report produced by a thinktank employing specialist economists.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 116 - 136
LN8Mariner
January 22, 2024, 11:11pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.14
Approval: +313
Gold Stars: 9
Quoted from HerveJosse

I’m losing the will to follow these arguments through now but don’t the other figures you quote with reference to GDP also back up that international students don’t drain the economy. You state they generate 1.6% of GDP but “it’s fare to assume they cost 1% of GDP”. Not 9x multiplier but still they bring in 60% more than they cost.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 117 - 136
HerveJosse
January 23, 2024, 9:30am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from LN8Mariner

I’m losing the will to follow these arguments through now but don’t the other figures you quote with reference to GDP also back up that international students don’t drain the economy. You state they generate 1.6% of GDP but “it’s fare to assume they cost 1% of GDP”. Not 9x multiplier but still they bring in 60% more than they cost.

Agreed that they make a positive contribution I didn’t say they didn’t I was pointing it was nothing like tge benefit claimed by these self justifying quangos and regurgitated by others without considering whether they make any sense
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 118 - 136
Yarborough Vaults
January 23, 2024, 9:37am
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.28
Approval: +214
Gold Stars: 32
I came here for the sniping about B Corp and ended up wrangling with international students and GDP.. Help.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 119 - 136
HerveJosse
January 23, 2024, 9:39am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

What on earth are you talking about?

You can't ignore one side of the balance sheet because you are trying to make a (baseless) point. One person's expenditure is another person's income.

You appear to be claiming that the state's 'expenditure' on these folk just disappears into the aether. It doesn't, it is spent back into the economy and most of it will ultimately end up back with the exchequer.

The figures quoted by Chrisblor from the HEPI report are quite specific, yet you're trying to ignore them. The report is free to access:

https://www.hepi.ac.uk/wp-cont.....ational-students.pdf

If you'd like to read it through and point out where you think they've gone wrong, feel free to do so. Otherwise, you're just making baseless claims which appear to be founded on a lack of understanding about how the economy actually works, whilst completely disregarding a report produced by a thinktank employing specialist economists.

A tourist goes to a Greek island and stays overnight for which he pays the hotelier £1. The hotelier uses the £1 to pay the long outstanding bakers bill the baker uses the £1 he gets to pay his long outstanding flour bill etc etc the £ is passed around nine times and all outstanding debts on the island have been repaid..
How much wealth has been created?
In you world it would £9.
In mine it would be £1
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 120 - 136
Maringer
January 23, 2024, 10:08am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

A tourist goes to a Greek island and stays overnight for which he pays the hotelier £1. The hotelier uses the £1 to pay the long outstanding bakers bill the baker uses the £1 he gets to pay his long outstanding flour bill etc etc the £ is passed around nine times and all outstanding debts on the island have been repaid..
How much wealth has been created?
In you world it would £9.
In mine it would be £1

Somebody hasn't heard of the multiplier effect:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/multiplier.asp

Interestingly, it is well-pronounced when tourists spend money into an economy as well:

https://www.howandwhat.net/tourism-multiplier-effect/

If you want to be crude, you could say that these students bringing money into the economy are effectively 'tourists' (though they obviously become much more integrated into society), so that makes your example even more wrong.

{unnecessary dig removed}
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 121 - 136
HerveJosse
January 23, 2024, 10:11am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Somebody hasn't heard of the multiplier effect:

https://www.investopedia.com/terms/m/multiplier.asp

Interestingly, it is well-pronounced when tourists spend money into an economy as well:

https://www.howandwhat.net/tourism-multiplier-effect/

If you want to be crude, you could say that these students bringing money into the economy are effectively 'tourists' (though they obviously become much more integrated into society), so that makes your example even more wrong.

Keep on digging.

I think you are the one digging

Having studied economics at university when I got out into real life I realised a lot of what they taught was balderdash.

The most useful thing my lecturer ever said was if you want to be able to wonder around the office and not ever be asked what you are doing always carry a piece of paper in your hand . He was assuming most of us would go  onto work for the state or academia which I didn’t so I never found out if it was true
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 122 - 136
Maringer
January 23, 2024, 10:13am
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

I think you are the one digging

Apologies for the unnecessary final dig.

But you're still entirely wrong and you are still refusing to engage with any of the data provided which clearly contradicts your selected viewpoint. You appear to have an emotional attachment to the idea and emotion doesn't stand up to empirical fact.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 123 - 136
HerveJosse
January 23, 2024, 10:34am
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

Apologies for the unnecessary final dig.

But you're still entirely wrong and you are still refusing to engage with any of the data provided which clearly contradicts your selected viewpoint. You appear to have an emotional attachment to the idea and emotion doesn't stand up to empirical fact.

I have given you a simple example of why what you call the multiplier effect ( passing the same £1 around different people) doesn’t create wealth.

I will just have to keep being entirely wrong I am afraid . Perhaps one day you might think a bit more deeply about things other then saying it’s in a report so it must be right. That day is clearly not imminent so let’s leave it there.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 124 - 136
Maringer
January 23, 2024, 12:15pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from HerveJosse

I have given you a simple example of why what you call the multiplier effect ( passing the same £1 around different people) doesn’t create wealth.

I will just have to keep being entirely wrong I am afraid . Perhaps one day you might think a bit more deeply about things other then saying it’s in a report so it must be right. That day is clearly not imminent so let’s leave it there.

It is interesting to hear that not only are all the economic textbooks incorrect, but a couple of thousand universities around the world have been teaching economics students false information for many decades.

Have you thought about letting them all know they are wrong? Obviously, you'll need to explain to thousands of professors and other academics why this is the case and also explain why all the empirical data shows the multiplier effect actually works. Can you start here and explain to us why there is no such thing as the multiplier effect? What you've already posted doesn't show this, it shows you misunderstand fiscal multipliers.

You'll need to contact all the national banks to explain that they are incorrect as well. Bank of England, ECB, the Fed, Bundesbank and so forth.

Want to know something which will really blow your mind? All money is nothing but government debt, at least since fiat currencies came into existence, and governments can create as much of it as they want. When a politician says we can't afford something, they aren't telling the truth. It might not be worthwhile to spend the money into existence, but it is certainly possible.

Oh, and banks don't lend out reserves. When you get a loan/mortgage, the banks create the money at the stroke of a key. They don't need to borrow it from anywhere. They just create it.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 125 - 136
HerveJosse
January 23, 2024, 2:06pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Maringer

It is interesting to hear that not only are all the economic textbooks incorrect, but a couple of thousand universities around the world have been teaching economics students false information for many decades.

Have you thought about letting them all know they are wrong? Obviously, you'll need to explain to thousands of professors and other academics why this is the case and also explain why all the empirical data shows the multiplier effect actually works. Can you start here and explain to us why there is no such thing as the multiplier effect? What you've already posted doesn't show this, it shows you misunderstand fiscal multipliers.

You'll need to contact all the national banks to explain that they are incorrect as well. Bank of England, ECB, the Fed, Bundesbank and so forth.

Want to know something which will really blow your mind? All money is nothing but government debt, at least since fiat currencies came into existence, and governments can create as much of it as they want. When a politician says we can't afford something, they aren't telling the truth. It might not be worthwhile to spend the money into existence, but it is certainly possible.

Oh, and banks don't lend out reserves. When you get a loan/mortgage, the banks create the money at the stroke of a key. They don't need to borrow it from anywhere. They just create it.

Sorry but as an early follower of cryptocurrency investment the notion that all Fiat currencies are doomed to perpetual decline in real value as government  print more and more money doesn’t blow my mind at all.

What does blow my mind is that you appear to recognise this but still believe reports prepared by self interest quangos and economics text books unchanged from the days before computers came into use
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 126 - 136
Maringer
January 23, 2024, 2:34pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Crypto investment, eh? A bit of gambling because crypto which isn't backed up by a nation state is fool's gold, though if you get in early enough, you can make some dosh. In fact, the likes of Bitcoin and subsequent attempts at crypto are actually very damaging due to the amount of energy wasted to mine them. You don't hear much about crypto-currencies in the news any longer as most people have realised they are a busted flush in the long term.

As you've decided that the perceived wisdom about economics is a load of guff (in spite of all the empirical evidence to the contrary), my guess is that you have drunk the libertarian 'kool-aid' so there is little point in continuing the discussion. Libertarianism (in the modern sense) is nonsense pushed, in general, by the wealthy right who simply don't want to pay their taxes and they don't care about what happens when the state is diminished. They can always remain in their closed communities and afford to have people to guard them and their own doctors to treat them. It's a deeply distasteful concept to me.

You don't get much of this libertarian guff in this country because generations have benefitted from the NHS and people, but for the most unhinged of Tories, believe the state can be run as a force of good as well as helping to provide the necessities of life. Not that you would know it from the way the Tories have behaved since 2010. I suppose you probably follow US libertarians using a computer (developed using state-funded research) running software (developed using state-funded research) to access the internet (developed using state-funded research).

If I'm wrong about the libertarian thing, I'll be surprised, as I can't see any other semi-logical reason you would completely disregard what is apparent to the rest of us. I still think it's a case of emotion over logic.

It does help to explain your earlier stuff in the thread. If you ideologically opposed to understanding that the boomers benefitted enormously from the state because of the post-war settlement which was in place at the time, it would indicate why you are blaming the younger generation for not doing as well.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 127 - 136
Civvy at last
January 23, 2024, 2:37pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Maringer
Crypto investment, eh? A bit of gambling because crypto which isn't backed up by a nation state is fool's gold, though if you get in early enough, you can make some dosh. In fact, the likes of Bitcoin and subsequent attempts at crypto are actually very damaging due to the amount of energy wasted to mine them. You don't hear much about crypto-currencies in the news any longer as most people have realised they are a busted flush in the long term.

As you've decided that the perceived wisdom about economics is a load of guff (in spite of all the empirical evidence to the contrary), my guess is that you have drunk the libertarian 'kool-aid' so there is little point in continuing the discussion. Libertarianism (in the modern sense) is nonsense pushed, in general, by the wealthy right who simply don't want to pay their taxes and they don't care about what happens when the state is diminished. They can always remain in their closed communities and afford to have people to guard them and their own doctors to treat them. It's a deeply distasteful concept to me.

You don't get much of this libertarian guff in this country because generations have benefitted from the NHS and people, but for the most unhinged of Tories, believe the state can be run as a force of good as well as helping to provide the necessities of life. Not that you would know it from the way the Tories have behaved since 2010. I suppose you probably follow US libertarians using a computer (developed using state-funded research) running software (developed using state-funded research) to access the internet (developed using state-funded research).

If I'm wrong about the libertarian thing, I'll be surprised, as I can't see any other semi-logical reason you would completely disregard what is apparent to the rest of us. I still think it's a case of emotion over logic.

It does help to explain your earlier stuff in the thread. If you ideologically opposed to understanding that the boomers benefitted enormously from the state because of the post-war settlement which was in place at the time, it would indicate why you are blaming the younger generation for not doing as well.

In what context is this post (and the majority on this thread) related to GTFC or even football in general ???
FFS MODS do your job and move it. !!!

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 128 - 136
Maringer
January 23, 2024, 2:51pm
Barley Wine Drinker
It's just a forum, mate. You don't need to read every single post, or get your knickers in a twist about somebody going a bit off-topic. When you get to page 13 of a thread, the chances of it remaining on-topic tend to be pretty slim.

If the mods want to set up a new thread in the non-footy forum, that's fine by me.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 129 - 136
Civvy at last
January 23, 2024, 3:00pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.04
Rep Score: +36 / -13
Approval: +12,204
Gold Stars: 131
Quoted from Maringer
It's just a forum, mate. You don't need to read every single post, or get your knickers in a twist about somebody going a bit off-topic. When you get to page 13 of a thread, the chances of it remaining on-topic tend to be pretty slim.

If the mods want to set up a new thread in the non-footy forum, that's fine by me.

If I am interested in seeing how B Corp will benefit my club, I should be able to go to a ‘footy’ section forum and read about it.
Not see a pissing contest between left and right yet again.  
And the job of the mods is to moderate ( clue is in the job title mate).  This should have been moved already !!
If you want to gob off about your political beliefs, go Ona political website and knock yourself out.  I am interested in how B corp will affect GTFC.  I’m not interested in the slightest in your opinions otherwise !!

UTM

The wife was going away for a girly weekend.
I jokingly remarked  'I don't know whether to spend it watching porn or watching football'
'you may as well spend it watching porn' she replied
That's understanding darling what makes you say that? I asked

She said 'Well you already know how to play football'  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 130 - 136
jamesgtfc
January 23, 2024, 3:41pm
Vodka Drinker
Just wait until Grimsby Town achieve B Corp accreditation. The 14 pages of arguments will be nothing compared to that. I look forward to seeing people conclude that the sales of John McAtee and Kamil Conteh got spent on keeping up with this woke scheme.

To try bring it back on topic, does anyone know what USG are doing that we aren't from a B Corp perspective?
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 131 - 136
Poojah
January 23, 2024, 4:00pm
Vodka Drinker
If nothing else, this thread illustrates perfectly what happens to the Fishy when we only have one game in the space of 24 days.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 132 - 136
Maringer
January 23, 2024, 4:50pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Quoted from Civvy at last

If I am interested in seeing how B Corp will benefit my club, I should be able to go to a ‘footy’ section forum and read about it.
Not see a pissing contest between left and right yet again.  
And the job of the mods is to moderate ( clue is in the job title mate).  This should have been moved already !!
If you want to gob off about your political beliefs, go Ona political website and knock yourself out.  I am interested in how B corp will affect GTFC.  I’m not interested in the slightest in your opinions otherwise !!

UTM

Honestly, just ignore posts which are OT. It's easier than having a rant, better for the blood pressure and will take you less time as well.

By page 13, I don't think there is much more to say about our application to get B Corp accreditation. I'd imagine it will be some months down the line before the process moves on too much.

We'll then have the usual to and fro between the naysayers and those who think it a decent idea.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 133 - 136
rancido
January 23, 2024, 5:50pm

Special Brew Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.26
Rep Score: +41 / -10
Approval: +6,572
Gold Stars: 96
Quoted from Maringer

To play "Devils Advocate" , for thousands of years it was believed and taught that the world was flat and the world of medicine was based on the Hippocratic Theory of the 4 Humours. Just because something is generally taught then that doesn't necessarily mean it is correct or accurate.

The Future is Black & White.
"The commonest thing on this planet is not water , as some people believe, but stupidity ". Frank Zappa
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 134 - 136
Brummie Codfather
January 23, 2024, 6:00pm
Beer Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +4 / 0
Approval: +855
Gold Stars: 21
Quoted from rancido

To play "Devils Advocate" , for thousands of years it was believed and taught that the world was flat and the world of medicine was based on the Hippocratic Theory of the 4 Humours. Just because something is generally taught then that doesn't necessarily mean it is correct or accurate.

Maybe we’ve found our own Aristotle in HerveJosse!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 135 - 136
HerveJosse
January 23, 2024, 8:10pm
Champagne Drinker
Quoted from Poojah
If nothing else, this thread illustrates perfectly what happens to the Fishy when we only have one game in the space of 24 days.

With the usual 150 page transfer window thread underperforming badly someone has to make an effort
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 136 - 136
14 Pages 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.