14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
chaos33
January 20, 2024, 1:43pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
JK Rowling hasn’t been ‘cancelled’ though has she. She’s doing alright. Just because a load of loud and abusive types (mostly dozy and damaged American undergraduates) with their self-righteous and entrenched indignation have abused her, she hasn’t been rubbed out. There are plenty of folk who want to stop people sharing their view though (apparently unaware of the irony). Look at how GB News wet their pants whenever Gary Lineker says anything. This probably isn’t the thread or place for this discussion really.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 40 - 136
GrimPol
January 20, 2024, 1:44pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -674
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from Poojah

“Beneficial” is the official answer, apparently.

Genuine question, to you and any other dissenting voices on this subject. I completely get that some may be disinterested in the notion of B Corp, or feel that it’s not particularly relevant in footballing circles, but what do you consider to be the downside to obtaining such a certification?

The crux of the B Corp mission seems to be about certifying “mission-driven corporations that are committed to using their business as a force for good”. What negative is there in GTFC being considered in such a light?

Poojah your naivety is breathtaking.
My granddaughter is now being punished by this DEI that B Corp is pushing. How you may ask? Well she wants to study medicine, and as there over 40,000 applicants for some 7500 places (Medicine is the only capped degree at university) Lots of Unis are into Diversity Equity Inclusion . She has not only to "fight" her way through 5 or other applicants on her merit i.e. exam results, she is starting further back of the starting line because she is White, because doesn't come from a broken home, because her parents are straights, and because she didn't receive free dinners at school. She does start in front of the kids from private schools. So she may not get her chance because some kids get in front of her not because of merit, because others were pushed to the front. That's Diversity Equity Inclusion or DEI in action. It should be called DIE as whatever it touches withers and dies. So how helpful is B Corp to race relations? As I said, your naivety is breathtaking.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 41 - 136
chaos33
January 20, 2024, 1:48pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.58
Rep Score: +66 / -33
Approval: +17,937
Gold Stars: 360
Quoted from GrimPol

My granddaughter is now being punished by this DEI that B Corp is pushing. How you may ask? Well she wants to study medicine, and as there over 40,000 applicants for some 7500 places (Medicine is the only capped degree at university) Lots of Unis are into Diversity Equity Inclusion . She has not only to "fight" her way through 5 or other applicants on her merit i.e. exam results, she is starting further back of the starting line because she is White, because doesn't come from a broken home, because her parents are straights, and because she didn't receive free dinners at school. She does start in front of the kids from private schools. So she may not get her chance because some kids get in front of her not because of merit, because others were pushed to the front. That's Diversity Equity Inclusion or DEI in action. It should be called DIE as whatever it touches withers and dies. So how helpful is B Corp to race relations? As I said, your naivety is breathtaking.

That’s an astonishingly flawed argument skewed by personal disappointment and massive over generalisation.
Still, we already knew you thought DEI had done ‘more damage to Britain than the Luftwaffe’ so it’s not really coming from a position of credibility is it.

"You should do what you love while you can"
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 42 - 136
Azimuth
January 20, 2024, 2:04pm
Snakebite drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.18
Rep Score: +3 / -4
Approval: +694
Gold Stars: 60
Quoted from GrimPol

This is a issue, in the process of applying for a public sector job last year the first stage was to fill out a tick box questionaire based on among other things my parents employment when I was 14, gender, religion, ethnicity etc.
This sifting taking place before advancing to stage two of being able to upload a personal statement and CV.

There is no such a thing as positive discrimination, discrimination is discrimination however we dress it up.

I want my son and daughter to have a equal opportunity to every one else based on ability.

To be truely open to all Gender, Sex, Religeon and Race non of these questions should be included and only then do we see people chosen on Merit experience and ability.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 43 - 136
Chrisblor
January 20, 2024, 2:29pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,856
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from rancido

Would you regard J K Rowling's treatment by the Transgender movement over her views as being " cancelled"?
It's not enough for the " Woke Movement" to have contrary views to their beliefs, you are subjected to vilification for having them. It's just like the book 1984 , you don't have to just accept Big Brother, you have to love him.

No, she's still coining it in from Harry Potter, regularly spouting balderdash on twitter and releasing hackneyed detective novels under a pen name. Being criticised for your views and opinions by people who disagree with them is not "being cancelled".

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 44 - 136
Chrisblor
January 20, 2024, 2:45pm

Elemér Berkessy
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.22
Rep Score: +51 / -20
Approval: +8,856
Gold Stars: 235
Quoted from GrimPol

lol flipping hell I work in University admissions and this is a complete load of paranoid, racist and homophobic balderdash. Universities do not discriminate against applicants based on race, gender or the sexual orientation of their parents ffs. Medicine courses do hold back a small number of places (and I emphasise SMALL here) each year for applicants from backgrounds with historically low participation rates in Higher Education, but the criteria to qualify for those places are:

Lived in an area with a low progression to higher education
Lived in a deprived area
Received free school meals in years 10-13
Received a 16-19 Bursary or similar grant
Was a young carer
Lived in local authority care during secondary education
Was estranged from both of their parents or legal guardians during their secondary/further education
Have parents who do not hold higher education qualifications
Have parents who were unemployed or working in unskilled jobs
Have a disability

If you think giving a leg up to a small number of applicants each year from those sorts of backgrounds so they can get into Medical School and become a Doctor, a route which in the past was almost exclusively the domain of students from wealthy / public school backgrounds, where teachers and parents could coach them through the admissions process and provide access to work experience in medicine before university to augment their application, is a bad thing then intercourse me.

gary jones
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 45 - 136
Poojah
January 20, 2024, 3:10pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.25
Rep Score: +76 / -11
Approval: +29,578
Gold Stars: 1,502
Quoted from GrimPol

Right, I really didn’t want to get into the broader argument about so called wokeism or DEI, as it takes us into the realm of non-football, but since there is no football this afternoon, I’ll make an exception whilst trying to keep things as on-topic as possible.

For context, I don’t consider myself “woke”. I’m a believer that you have to be very careful with any kind of ideology that threatens to swing too far left or too far right, and I’m far from comfortable with a world where a slip of the tongue or an historic transgression can potentially end an otherwise good career. Few of us are saints, and I certainly don’t profess to be one.

But I can still recognise that the world of 40, 30, 20, 10 or even 5 years ago had some fairly glaring societal issues. I just didn’t think about them very much. That’s because, as a white, straight, able-bodied male, they didn’t really affect me. Start changing any one of those parameters, and life gets harder. Change more than one, and the effect is compound.

This notion of DEI, as you put it, isn’t some woke, anti-white, anti-straight agenda. It’s about making the playing field as level as possible for everyone. Imagine two people of identical innate talent, only one is white, male, middle class, from a happy home, and went to a revered public school. The other is black, female, grew up poor, in a deprived area, and went to a failing school. Both equally talented, but one more fortunate and less discriminated against than the other, for no other reason than cos’ life ain’t fair. The former simply has a much greater advantage in fulfilling their potential; all so called DEI aims to be is be cognisant of that when it comes to university and employment applications. To be against such a concept is to be against social mobility, and to be against social mobility seems cúntish if you’re doing really well for yourself, and downright daft if you’re not.

Let’s take the specific example of your granddaughter’s application to study medicine. You point out that she is seemingly at a disadvantage of those who came from poor backgrounds and / or had free school dinners, whilst acknowledging that she has an equivalent advantage over those who went to private school. The whole premise of this DEI concept is that there is no advantage or disadvantage - it creates a normalised meritocracy by putting kids from deprived backgrounds and those who had everything going for them on an equal footing.

I’m sure you can find flaws in the specific mechanic used to rank applicants, but that’s the ethos behind it. Again, I’m not sure you can be simultaneously against that kind of approach, the kind of approach encouraged by the likes of B Corp, AND the notion of the country being run by the upper classes forever more.

Finally, I’m ever so slightly perplexed as to how you managed to derive my apparent naivety from a question I asked? I’m always open minded and ready to be educated whenever I’m presented with a viewpoint that’s more logical and well rounded than my own.

Anyway, I wish your granddaughter all the best in her application. A fantastic and noble career to pursue.

A smooth sea never made a skillful mariner.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 46 - 136
HertsGTFC
January 20, 2024, 3:13pm

Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 4.26
Rep Score: +29 / -10
Approval: +22,953
Gold Stars: 228
Quoted from GrimPol

Educate yourself, read Rebel Ideas by Matthew Syed you might just see things differently.

"Crombie you would have got to that if you weren't such a fat ba%$@rd" - George Kerr, inspiration from the dug out 70s style  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 47 - 136
GrimPol
January 20, 2024, 3:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from chaos33

That’s an astonishingly flawed argument skewed by personal disappointment and massive over generalisation.
Still, we already knew you thought DEI had done ‘more damage to Britain than the Luftwaffe’ so it’s not really coming from a position of credibility is it.

You're just shouting. What is flawed about my argument, how do you actually think it works? "Personall Disappointment" you say, I'm also speaking up for kids around I've never met. When you remove the cuddly down off this DEI, then scrape the gloss, it's just pure  Sinister.
In the USA (where, of course it all this started, and is running riot) slowly this is turning. Their courts have overturned Affirmative Action which basically stopped Asian kids places at Harvard.
The last guy who had a go at me thought it was like a British Standard method of production, like I said Naive.   So enlighten me Chaos, how does it work? What are the nuts and bolts of this DEI (DIE)?

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 48 - 136
GrimPol
January 20, 2024, 3:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from HertsGTFC

Educate yourself, read Rebel Ideas by Matthew Syed you might just see things differently.

And the point being what?
Lets take Climate Change.  If the leaders, engineers, chemists etc are not the best because of DEI (DIE)  then how is that going to help?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 49 - 136
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.