HerveJosse
January 22, 2024, 3:37pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.89
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,206
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from Chrisblor

Again you have no idea what you are banging on about. Take it from me, someone who works in a university with experience of working in immigration compliance and issuing Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies documents which are a requisite for applying for a Student Visa (and associated Dependent Visa):

- You are correct that the number of dependent visas being granted to the immediate family members of those entering the UK on Student Visas has been increasing over the last few years, primarily driven by Nigerian and Indian nationals, however the increase has only really been significant since around 2020

- International students eligible to bring dependents with them can only bring their partner and dependent U18 children (source), not their 'rather extended' families, stop chatting balderdash.

- The government has closed off the option to bring dependents to the majority of Student Visa holders. Only students coming for 3-4 years to study a PhD, or students doing a Masters degree who are fully funded by their home government (a stipulation which applies to very few students) can bring dependents with them from the start of this year, so the numbers of dependents coming to the UK will now significantly fall again (source). Most students bringing their dependents with them are older adults in their mid to late 20s and 30s who have families - they are not 18 year old undergraduates learning to 'be away from their family' as you characterise them.

- The vast majority of students, and their dependents, who enter the UK on a Student Visa leave and return to their home country either after completing their course, or after completing a two to three years on a Graduate Visa (during which you are not eligible to claim any benefits, and have to pay an additional £1,035 for each year you remain in the UK in order to be eligible to access healthcare)

- The statistics around how many international students remain in the UK have been manipulated by various parties, like Government Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick coming out recently with some rubbish about how 40% of international students remain in the UK after they finish their studies. This is complete nonsense and the Home Office's own reporting shows that of all 152k international students who entered the UK in 2016, only 17% of them remained in the UK five years later in 2021 (the majority of which were working in highly paid, high skilled roles on T1 High Value Migrant or T2 Skilled Worker visas), and less than 1% of those 152k students had been granted permanent settlement in the UK (source)

- The government has launched a review into post study work visas for international graduates. The impact of this rhetoric is already being felt by the sector as the opportunity to work temporarily in the UK is incredibly important for prospective international students. In the mid 2010s the Home Office under Theresa May removed the ability to remain in the UK on a graduate visa and this completely cratered international student numbers coming to the UK from India. The return of this option has caused applications from India to rebound, with the number of Indian students in British Universities rising from 34,261 in 2019 to 139,539 in 2022, primarily driven by the opportunity to temporarily work in the UK. It is incredibly important to retain this option so the UK remains an attractive destination for students in a global market - all of our competitor countries (Canada, Australia, USA, and the EU) allow students to temporarily remain and work after they graduate.

- International students contribute £41.9 billion pounds a year to the UK economy, significant amounts of which is spent in local economies and helps to counter some of the regional economic imbalance that exists around the country (source). On average, each of the 650 parliamentary constituencies in the UK is £58m (per constituency) better off because of international students – equivalent to approximately £560 per citizen

- International Students and those on Graduate Visas are net contributors to the economy - they put far more money into this country than they cost us in hosting them (In 2021-22 the total public cost associated with international students and their dependants was estimated to be £4.4bn, which was hugely offset by the £41.9bn they contributed to the economy, a net benefit to the UK of £37.4bn a year - source). Why on earth would we want to wreck one of the few remaining world class export industries this country has, just to appease a load of ignorant prejudiced dickheads who want to run the country into the ground?

Please stop getting your news about international students from biased sources and uncritically parroting nonsense, all it will do is kill off the UK as a preferred study destination and make us all worse off as a result.

You need to be careful with stats and language before berating others for ignorance. When you say international students ‘contribute’ £41bn to the U.K. economy you mean they generate £41bn of gross revenue about 1.6% of gross gdp. As they currently represent 1% percent of the total U.K. population ( 679k international students at latest estimate) then it’s also fare to assume they consume something around 1% of U.K. total expenditure which in a £2.5 trillion economy means their ‘contribution’ to the U.K. economy is considerably less

I can see that employees in the university sector are desperate to keep them as their jobs depend on it . Landlords in university towns will also be keen to keep them though any average uk person trying to buy or rent a house in these towns and cities were house prices have rocketed as a result will be less keen.

Vested interest only ever see one side of the argument whichever side they are on
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 100 - 136
GrimPol
January 22, 2024, 4:06pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.60
Rep Score: +3 / -7
Approval: -669
Gold Stars: 69
Quoted from chaos33

How are Uni’s operating ‘nefariously’? and, you still haven’t shown or explained that BCorp is ‘creepy’ or ‘sinister’. Obviously, you can’t do that of course, because it isn’t, but let’s see you try to make a case.

Nefariously=  in a morally bad way. Unis are quite happy to bring in Overseas Students, which earn them more than British Students, and if it means that extra family (extended) come as well than stay they don't care.

B Corp Sinister and Creepy.    B Corp are a third party certification, not quality of product but "Social Sustainabilty" or DEI (should be DIE) Not something you can put your finger on, hence can be interpreted as you want. This opens it up to manipulation and flouting of basic employment rights. E.G. people will be "asked" to attend "decolonisation seminars" where white people are told to get rid of their original sin of being white. If you make toilet rolls why would this actual help your company? And how exactly does this help Race relations? And if you don't attend, this decolonisation, then in some cases you are fired. That's the reality

I used granddaughter current search for a Medical Uni place, because that's whats happening right now. She has been prewarned, that she is starting behind others because she is white, doesn't come from a broken home, did not receive free dinners, and hasn't gay parents. Not sure if that a broken home or a leg up for the diversity people.   Now tell me its not Creepy or Sinister.?
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 101 - 136
SteffiMariner
January 22, 2024, 4:14pm
Lager Top Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.10
Rep Score: +4 / -2
Approval: +408
Gold Stars: 19
Quoted from GrimPol

Nefariously=  in a morally bad way. Unis are quite happy to bring in Overseas Students, which earn them more than British Students, and if it means that extra family (extended) come as well than stay they don't care.

B Corp Sinister and Creepy.    B Corp are a third party certification, not quality of product but "Social Sustainabilty" or DEI (should be DIE) Not something you can put your finger on, hence can be interpreted as you want. This opens it up to manipulation and flouting of basic employment rights. E.G. people will be "asked" to attend "decolonisation seminars" where white people are told to get rid of their original sin of being white. If you make toilet rolls why would this actual help your company? And how exactly does this help Race relations? And if you don't attend, this decolonisation, then in some cases you are fired. That's the reality

I used granddaughter current search for a Medical Uni place, because that's whats happening right now. She has been prewarned, that she is starting behind others because she is white, doesn't come from a broken home, did not receive free dinners, and hasn't gay parents. Not sure if that a broken home or a leg up for the diversity people.   Now tell me its not Creepy or Sinister.?

Of all the absolute balderdash that has ever been posted on a football forum, this has to be up there with the worst shite I have ever had the displeasure to read.
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 102 - 136
GrimPol
January 22, 2024, 4:18pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from jamesgtfc

You do know that most international students are studying postgraduate qualifications such as an MA, MSc or PhD don't you? International students take very few places from school leavers heading off for their undergraduate degree.

I didn't say they did, you just didn't read correctly.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 103 - 136
Theimperialcoroner
January 22, 2024, 4:18pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,211
Gold Stars: 102
@Steffimariner you included your bit in the quote but personally (and taking my moderator hat off), I completely agree.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 104 - 136
GrimPol
January 22, 2024, 4:19pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from SteffiMariner

Of all the absolute balderdash that has ever been posted on a football forum, this has to be up there with the worst shite I have ever had the displeasure to read.

Take it up with    jamesgtfc then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 105 - 136
Theimperialcoroner
January 22, 2024, 4:22pm

Quoted from GrimPol

Give me one example in this country where this has happened. Just one. You’ve properly drunk the KoolAid.
Be fascinated to know who told your Grand-daughter that too. Big Dave down the pub doesn’t count btw.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 106 - 136
GrimPol
January 22, 2024, 4:23pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Chrisblor

Again you have no idea what you are banging on about. Take it from me, someone who works in a university with experience of working in immigration compliance and issuing Confirmation of Acceptance for Studies documents which are a requisite for applying for a Student Visa (and associated Dependent Visa):

- You are correct that the number of dependent visas being granted to the immediate family members of those entering the UK on Student Visas has been increasing over the last few years, primarily driven by Nigerian and Indian nationals, however the increase has only really been significant since around 2020

- International students eligible to bring dependents with them can only bring their partner and dependent U18 children (source), not their 'rather extended' families, stop chatting balderdash.

- The government has closed off the option to bring dependents to the majority of Student Visa holders. Only students coming for 3-4 years to study a PhD, or students doing a Masters degree who are fully funded by their home government (a stipulation which applies to very few students) can bring dependents with them from the start of this year, so the numbers of dependents coming to the UK will now significantly fall again (source). Most students bringing their dependents with them are older adults in their mid to late 20s and 30s who have families - they are not 18 year old undergraduates learning to 'be away from their family' as you characterise them.

- The vast majority of students, and their dependents, who enter the UK on a Student Visa leave and return to their home country either after completing their course, or after completing a two to three years on a Graduate Visa (during which you are not eligible to claim any benefits, and have to pay an additional £1,035 for each year you remain in the UK in order to be eligible to access healthcare)

- The statistics around how many international students remain in the UK have been manipulated by various parties, like Government Immigration Minister Robert Jenrick coming out recently with some rubbish about how 40% of international students remain in the UK after they finish their studies. This is complete nonsense and the Home Office's own reporting shows that of all 152k international students who entered the UK in 2016, only 17% of them remained in the UK five years later in 2021 (the majority of which were working in highly paid, high skilled roles on T1 High Value Migrant or T2 Skilled Worker visas), and less than 1% of those 152k students had been granted permanent settlement in the UK (source)

- The government has launched a review into post study work visas for international graduates. The impact of this rhetoric is already being felt by the sector as the opportunity to work temporarily in the UK is incredibly important for prospective international students. In the mid 2010s the Home Office under Theresa May removed the ability to remain in the UK on a graduate visa and this completely cratered international student numbers coming to the UK from India. The return of this option has caused applications from India to rebound, with the number of Indian students in British Universities rising from 34,261 in 2019 to 139,539 in 2022, primarily driven by the opportunity to temporarily work in the UK. It is incredibly important to retain this option so the UK remains an attractive destination for students in a global market - all of our competitor countries (Canada, Australia, USA, and the EU) allow students to temporarily remain and work after they graduate.

- International students contribute £41.9 billion pounds a year to the UK economy, significant amounts of which is spent in local economies and helps to counter some of the regional economic imbalance that exists around the country (source). On average, each of the 650 parliamentary constituencies in the UK is £58m (per constituency) better off because of international students – equivalent to approximately £560 per citizen

- International Students and those on Graduate Visas are net contributors to the economy - they put far more money into this country than they cost us in hosting them (In 2021-22 the total public cost associated with international students and their dependants was estimated to be £4.4bn, which was hugely offset by the £41.9bn they contributed to the economy, a net benefit to the UK of £37.4bn a year - source). Why on earth would we want to wreck one of the few remaining world class export industries this country has, just to appease a load of ignorant prejudiced dickheads who want to run the country into the ground?

Please stop getting your news about international students from biased sources and uncritically parroting nonsense, all it will do is kill off the UK as a preferred study destination and make us all worse off as a result.

Did I say stop them all?  What I did say, is that we must be more diligent in who we let in. How do you have a problem with that?   Anyway hats off to the government that made it happen.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 107 - 136
GrimPol
January 22, 2024, 4:32pm
Fine Wine Drinker
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Give me one example in this country where this has happened. Just one. You’ve properly drunk the KoolAid.
Be fascinated to know who told your Grand-daughter that too. Big Dave down the pub doesn’t count btw.

Ill get back to you about me drinking the KoolAID.

Just you be very careful about my granddaughter.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 108 - 136
Theimperialcoroner
January 22, 2024, 4:38pm

Quoted from GrimPol

Ill get back to you about me drinking the KoolAID.

Just you be very careful about my granddaughter.

You used her to back up your whole argument, don’t see your bottom with me if that then gets batted back.

You’ve consistently been shown up on this thread yet you keep digging, now essentially resorting to threats. Suggest you take five minutes to breath a little.

Logged Online
Private Message
Reply: 109 - 136
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.