14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Theimperialcoroner
January 20, 2024, 9:51pm

Posts Per Day: 1.05
Rep Score: +47 / -4
Approval: +5,275
Gold Stars: 102
Quoted from jamesgtfc

Every university programme must have a cap of some sort, because university buildings can only hold so many people at a time, and their staff can only teach for so many hours in any given day.

Just as an aside to this, the govt have put another artificial cap on all of this to appease the mouth breathers who don’t like immigration. The University I work for has been growing steadily within its means for some time. The policy hindering overseas students will result in a shortfall of income of some £20m. This means jobs will go and probably worse, the brightest brains will not come to the U.K. to study.
Anyhow this whole thread is about people getting their knickers in a twist because they don’t understand what BCorp status is and I really can’t be arsed to argue with their Billy Britain mentality.

Batch, Crombie, Moore K, Wiggington, Cumming, Waters, Bonnyman, Ford, Emson, Drinkell, Whymark. Love you all, You are the reason I'm on here. You've had help from Todd, Handyside, Futcher P, Groves, Mendonca, Macca etc etc etc. Up The Mariners!!!!!!!!!
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 80 - 136
jamesgtfc
January 20, 2024, 10:11pm
Vodka Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.16
Rep Score: +20 / -5
Approval: +13,041
Gold Stars: 190
Quoted from Theimperialcoroner

Just as an aside to this, the govt have put another artificial cap on all of this to appease the mouth breathers who don’t like immigration. The University I work for has been growing steadily within its means for some time. The policy hindering overseas students will result in a shortfall of income of some £20m. This means jobs will go and probably worse, the brightest brains will not come to the U.K. to study.
Anyhow this whole thread is about people getting their knickers in a twist because they don’t understand what BCorp status is and I really can’t be arsed to argue with their Billy Britain mentality.

I'm currently studying at University of Lincoln, and we got an email on Friday about financial pressures that universities are under. Lincoln aren't in a particularly bad situation at the moment but they are going to be hit by the visa clampdown for sure. I am studying part-time, last year I was one of only 5 domestic students on the programme, and this year I am the only one.

To be clear, the reason I am the only domestic student has absolutely nothing to do with a DEI agenda.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 81 - 136
Croxton
January 20, 2024, 10:17pm
Cocktail Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.74
Rep Score: +14 / -4
Approval: +3,020
Gold Stars: 34
Quoted from FishGY

Don't think many blame the previous generations for 'working hard and creating their own wealth', but it is completely valid to call out a rather significant proportion of that group for choosing to manage and use that wealth to live overly luxurious lifestyles, exploiting the younger adult generation (outside potentially their own children) in a way that makes it so working hard in the same way can no longer create wealth.

You can argue that they made their money and can choose what to do with it. Objectively this is true, but it is objectively selfish, and people don't believe it is a sustainable set up.

To make it clear, people don't blame the previous generations for working hard to create wealth, but do disagree with how they've chosen to use that wealth to aid an inequal and divided society.

Just to be clear. Which of those of us who have 'worked hard and created their own wealth' now live 'overly luxurious lifestyles'? You make broad and unhelpful generalisations which fail to inform a much needed discussion about how to redress our unequal society. Some of my wider family have had similar opportunities in life but with markedly different outcomes over the last hundred years.

Identity politics is ruinous to any topic on the non footy threads and worse than useless on a blank Saturday. I'm 74 and a teacher for forty of them. All Governments of whatever hue have failed to move the dial sufficiently on equality of opportunity whether it's schooling, housing or health.  

FWIW, this B Corp stuff is a sideshow compared to sorting out our woeful defence. In my 'real ' life I care a lot about EDI issues for six days a week but even when the game is postponed we should keep matchday sacrosanct.

Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 82 - 136
mariner91
January 20, 2024, 10:46pm
Barley Wine Drinker
Posts Per Day: 2.64
Rep Score: +78 / -11
Approval: +19,748
Gold Stars: 262
Quoted from GrimPol

Poojah your naivety is breathtaking.
My granddaughter is now being punished by this DEI that B Corp is pushing. How you may ask? Well she wants to study medicine, and as there over 40,000 applicants for some 7500 places (Medicine is the only capped degree at university) Lots of Unis are into Diversity Equity Inclusion . She has not only to "fight" her way through 5 or other.

Dentistry is also capped. The problem isn’t trying to allow the social mobility of capable people from backgrounds that would have previously precluded them from a career in these disciplines and more that we aren’t training anywhere near enough of these professionals for the needs of the country. The problem is then compounded by poor working conditions for doctors in particular leading to many of them leaving to go abroad where pay and work conditions better reflect their training and level of skill. DEI really doesn’t create a situation where those from poorer backgrounds get in ahead of others with equal exam results. Considerably higher than 50% of dental students at Kings College went to private school for example. I do though sincerely hope your granddaughter gets a place, I wish her all the best with her application.  
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 83 - 136
FishGY
January 20, 2024, 10:51pm
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +65
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from Croxton

Just to be clear. Which of those of us who have 'worked hard and created their own wealth' now live 'overly luxurious lifestyles'? You make broad and unhelpful generalisations which fail to inform a much needed discussion about how to redress our unequal society. Some of my wider family have had similar opportunities in life but with markedly different outcomes over the last hundred years.

Identity politics is ruinous to any topic on the non footy threads and worse than useless on a blank Saturday. I'm 74 and a teacher for forty of them. All Governments of whatever hue have failed to move the dial sufficiently on equality of opportunity whether it's schooling, housing or health.  

FWIW, this B Corp stuff is a sideshow compared to sorting out our woeful defence. In my 'real ' life I care a lot about EDI issues for six days a week but even when the game is postponed we should keep matchday sacrosanct.

'Those' which the young adult population complain about, which the comment I was replying to seemed to think was all parents.

I disagree that I generalised, I explicitly said 'significant proportion' of that group, which no matter it's numerical proportion is significant in the impact that it does have on the ability of young adults today to start 'building wealth'.

My comment wasn't meant to inform how to equalise society, it was calling out a narrative from someone else, that was itself irrelevant and a largely untrue generalisation.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 84 - 136
HerveJosse
January 20, 2024, 11:49pm
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
As someone who was actually there at the time rather then a later generation that seems to have brainwashed itself into the view that there was massive unequal opportunity in Britain before they and b corp came along to put the world right. My cohort of local kids who left school in the mid seventies includes people who went ion to be captains of industry, leaders in their professions , master of Oxford colleges ,judges  politicians etc etc all from their humble backgrounds in Cleethorpes
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 85 - 136
Croxton
January 21, 2024, 12:01am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from FishGY

'Those' which the young adult population complain about, which the comment I was replying to seemed to think was all parents.

I disagree that I generalised, I explicitly said 'significant proportion' of that group, which no matter it's numerical proportion is significant in the impact that it does have on the ability of young adults today to start 'building wealth'.

My comment wasn't meant to inform how to equalise society, it was calling out a narrative from someone else, that was itself irrelevant and a largely untrue generalisation.

Yes, I think I follow the argument as such but without the exact percentages to hand, I assume you mean the small proportion of the population who own the majority of the land, property, stocks and gold etc ?  I venture to assume you don't mean ordinary Joe's who have paid off a mortgage, raised a family, contributed to a pension, bought season tickets, enjoy the odd cruise and manage to leave some cash in their will for kids and grandkids?

How much inherited wealth is allowed in your book? Bear in mind, the Banking system is pretty reliant on hefty deposits to retain confidence after the last crash. Any new Government will only be able to tinker at the edges of the tax system. One of the reasons politicians and media are so engaged in the Culture Wars distractions is because they can only promise 'jam tomorrow'. Radical changes scare the natives and the IMF.

We can easily agree on the problems. Its the solutions that are tricky.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 86 - 136
FishGY
January 21, 2024, 1:38am
Shandy Drinker
Posts Per Day: 0.02
Rep Score: +3 / -1
Approval: +65
Gold Stars: 1
Quoted from HerveJosse
As someone who was actually there at the time rather then a later generation that seems to have brainwashed itself into the view that there was massive unequal opportunity in Britain before they and b corp came along to put the world right. My cohort of local kids who left school in the mid seventies includes people who went ion to be captains of industry, leaders in their professions , master of Oxford colleges ,judges  politicians etc etc all from their humble backgrounds in Cleethorpes

That you were there is irrelevant, that there was and still in notable unequal opportunity in Britain is concretely evidenced. The 'brainwashed' generation don't believe they or B corps have put everything to rights, they are open minded and critical towards initiatives to make the world a fairer place. You're just making up how younger people think to self-justify your view that you're not open minded to criticising.

Yes you know some people who did very well, the ruling classes love cases like this as they zoom in on them to 'prove' background doesn't matter, just hard work etc., but you'd have known more had it been fairer, and those you do know may have done better quicker. This is the point - to argue these people had no disadvantage is to discredit their achievement of overcoming a more moderate background (plenty in Cleethorpes are not what I consider unprivileged)

To semi-answer Croxton at the same time, obviously where each person draws the line of overly luxurious is different, to answer your questions would be to give more of my personal politics than is here appropriate. Feel free to PM if you're interested, I'm always open minded to such conversations. If you want to leave the fishy as your football not political space then I understand that as well and wish you the best.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 87 - 136
HerveJosse
January 21, 2024, 8:30am
Champagne Drinker
Posts Per Day: 1.87
Rep Score: +6 / -3
Approval: +1,204
Gold Stars: 144
Quoted from FishGY

That you were there is irrelevant, that there was and still in notable unequal opportunity in Britain is concretely evidenced. The 'brainwashed' generation don't believe they or B corps have put everything to rights, they are open minded and critical towards initiatives to make the world a fairer place. You're just making up how younger people think to self-justify your view that you're not open minded to criticising.

Yes you know some people who did very well, the ruling classes love cases like this as they zoom in on them to 'prove' background doesn't matter, just hard work etc., but you'd have known more had it been fairer, and those you do know may have done better quicker. This is the point - to argue these people had no disadvantage is to discredit their achievement of overcoming a more moderate background (plenty in Cleethorpes are not what I consider unprivileged)

To semi-answer Croxton at the same time, obviously where each person draws the line of overly luxurious is different, to answer your questions would be to give more of my personal politics than is here appropriate. Feel free to PM if you're interested, I'm always open minded to such conversations. If you want to leave the fishy as your football not political space then I understand that as well and wish you the best.

So being there and seeing things for yourself is irrelevant ibecause it doesn’t fit the doctrine . You don’t work for the Post Office by any chance do you.?
Coming from Cleethorpes isn’t underprivileged enough to count… Not much chance of your views ever changing then.
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 88 - 136
Croxton
January 21, 2024, 9:33am
Cocktail Drinker
Quoted from FishGY

If you lived round the corner we could go for a stroll in the Peak District and put the world to rights over a pint I'm sure. The Fishy, however, is not conducive to civilised debate sadly. Social media debate becomes polarised and things get said that can't be taken back. Our mods get involved in issues and are too light touch in applying Fishy rules. As a lone exile, I prefer a safe space where I can access a span of views about the game I have travelled hundreds of miles to watch. If I want a ding dong political debate I only have to talk to my eldest son for two minutes!

I miss the contributions of several Fishies who have withdrawn from posting, passed away or taken a mental health break over the recent months and years. I would be saddened to think any of my comments have upset anyone else so I tend to back off. Thanks for your good wishes which I return. UTM
Logged Offline
Private Message
Reply: 89 - 136
14 Pages Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 Next All Recommend Thread
Print

Thread Rating
There is currently no rating for this thread

Back to top of page

This is not an official forum of Grimsby Town Football Club, the opinions expressed are those of the individual authors. If you see an offensive post then click "Report" on the relevant post. Posts will be deleted at the discretion of the moderators whose decision is final. Posts should abide by the Forum Rules. IP addresses of contributors together with dates and times of access are stored. The opinions and viewpoints expressed by contributors to The Fishy are their own and not necessarily those of The Fishy. The Fishy makes no claims that information dispersed through this forum is accurate or reliable. Also The Fishy cannot be held liable for any statements made by contributors of The Fishy.